HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:35 AM
Paramoderator

Besides L.A., I would think this is my favorite thread. I visited downtown Salt Lake City a few years ago, and thought it was a pit. Now, it looks truly lovely. The care in preserving each historic building is remarkable, and not one of the new projects is anywhere near ugly. Also, the new museum and all of the University projects look great. Moreover, I just visited the Downtown Rising website, and am totally impressed with the push for walk-ability, and all of the promenades. Just, overall, I wanted to say that Salt Lake City looks lovely, and I really want to visit again soon.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 6:14 AM
Ex Houstonian

I cant believe how amazing that South Temple Building looks, I mean, if I didnt know any better, Id say that building came straight out of the year 1914. It is so well done and the brickwork is impeccable, great great work.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 12:09 PM

It looks as if 2012 will be a banner year for downtown, as many of these current projects will be reaching completion by then. The many improvements and immense scope of City Creek alone will raise the bar significantly. Barring a national financial meltdown, it would seem that even as 2012 approaches, many other large projects will commense or will already be underway. I think that the walkability and livibility of the Salt Lake CBD has a very bright future.

Photolitherland, I have been enjoying your photo spreads of your recent travels immensely. I hope many other forumers are taking the opportunity to view them. I especially feel like I'm getting to know specific areas of Texas much better.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 12:22 PM

Downtown Continued ~ Crossroads Block Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Apartments on Main:

By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:21 PM

Mayor Ralph Becker: Streetcar success reflects state of Salt Lake City

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Lake-City.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Ralph Becker left most of his trophies on the shelf Tuesday night, preferring to showcase the
one he says best reflects the state of Salt Lake City.

Departing from the traditional listing of accomplishments, Mayor Becker kept his State of the City address short and
focused on the future by highlighting one of his administration's top priorities of 2010: the Sugar House streetcar.

"This project reflects — in style and in substance — the goals, values and priorities we have set for our great city,"
Becker said during his 17-minute speech at the Salt Lake City-County Building. "It exemplifies our continued commitment
to move Salt Lake City forward despite challenging economic conditions." ...

Light-Rail Transit Updates - Central/West Metro -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Here's all the pictures I could snap before the blizzard came in:

West Valley

Bridge near Maverick Center (E-center)

West Valley City Hall

I don't remember where this was. I think it's where the West Valley line crosses the Jordan River.

Mid-Jordan

By SLCdude

Airport Trax Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Well I have some bad news and some good news.

First the bad news. Getting pictures of the actual developing part of the Airport TRAX line is very hard to do
by foot.

And as can be ascertained in this photo I attempted this evening, I don't have a very good skill yet when it comes
to putting my desired elements of a given shot into focus (notice how the dumpster is the focal point in this picture ).

The Good news is that I have no problem trespassing and that I'm going to be taking free online classes that came
with my camera.

By S.P.Hansen

Last edited by delts145; Jan 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 1:17 PM

Central/Southern Metro

Construction to begin at $1.5 billion NSA center

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and National Security Agency host a joint groundbreaking ceremony for the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cyber-security Initiative (CNCI) Data Center Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011, at Camp Williams. Construction of the $1.5 billion Data Center is scheduled to be completed in October 2013. (Stuart Johnson, Deseret News)

Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

A groundbreaking ceremony Thursday will formally kick off work on the Utah Data Center, a $1.2 billion project viewed as the salvation for the state’s beleaguered construction industry.

Nearly 10,000 people are expected to be employed over the next three years building the 1-million-square-foot facility at Camp Williams on the Salt Lake/Utah county line.

The National Security Agency will use the climate-controlled environment of its computerized core as a repository for information gathered by different branches of the country’s intelligence apparatus, hence the facility’s nickname, “The Spy Center.”

The 2 p.m. event may be one of the public’s last chances to take an open look at the project, technically known as the nation’s first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cyber-security Initiative (CNCI) Data Center.

“We’ve been asked not to talk about the project,” said Rob Moore, president and chief operating officer of Big-D Construction. His company is part of a consortium of contractors that won the coveted construction contract from the National Security Agency and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which is overseeing the building.

While he could not speak about the facility as a Big-D representative, Moore was able to comment briefly as president of the Utah Association of General Contractors.

“We’ve lost over 40,000 jobs in the construction market since 2008,” he said. “This will have a significant impact replacing some of those jobs and providing work for many, many small businesses.”

Since the project first was announced late in the fall of 2009, small businesses have been jockeying to be included as subcontractors for the big construction companies that won the bid, in this case Big-D and its national partners, Balfour Beatty and DPR.

Work will get under way at an ideal time for Utah trades people, ramping up just as construction of the City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City is winding down.

“We’ve been fortunate here in the state,” said Jim Judd of the Utah AFL-CIO labor unions. “The NSA project will pick up the commercial construction business. It will provide long-term employment help for the state until, hopefully, the economy recovers .”

An Army Corps of Engineers news release about the ground breaking said construction now is scheduled to be completed by October 2013. The initial timetable envisioned the facility being operational by June 2012.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

Downtown Adj. - University of Utah Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
University of Utah

USTAR Project, Foreground

Huntsman Cancer Institute Expansion

USTAR Project

By T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Jan 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 10:56 PM

Central/Southern Metro...

Utah's $1.5 billion cyber-security center under way

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...under-way.html

CAMP WILLIAMS — Thursday's groundbreaking for a $1.5 billion National Security Agency data center is being billed as important in the short term for construction jobs and important in the long term for Utah's reputation as a technology center...

... Utah was chosen for the project over 37 other locations. The Cyber Security Center is being characterized as the "largest military construction project in recent memory."

... Utah's favorable energy costs, Internet infrastructure, thriving software industry and proximity to the Salt Lake City International Airport helped it win in the bid process that ended up with Camp Williams earning the data center...

..."It is so unique and so intensive," Hatch said. "This will establish our state as one of the leading states for technology."

Computer renderings of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center, at Camp Williams, Utah on display at Camp Williams for the groundbreaking on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB)

Grading work is already under way for the complex, which is scheduled to include 100,000 square feet for the data center and 900,000 square feet for technical support and administrative space. The center is designed to be capable of generating all of its own power through backup electrical generators and will have both fuel and water storage. Construction is designed to achieve environmentally significant LEED Silver certification.

Computer rendering of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center, at Camp Williams, Utah on display at Camp Williams for the groundbreaking on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This new cyber-security center is just awesome on too many levels!

Aside from the new jobs created in its construction and after, having a facility like this in the State of Utah will do a lot to boost our street cred in the High Tech world. A lot of what happened in Silicon Valley came in conjunction with their High Tech government facilities and High Tech private partnerships with the government.

With this project and the Hill Airforce Base Private / Government High Tech Partnership, we're positioning ourselves in a very good place.
Utah's NSA spy center will house data, not analysts

Computer rendering of the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center at Camp Williams. Ground was broken on the facility Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (BDB,)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ysts.html?pg=2

CAMP WILLIAMS — Computers drawing enough electricity to power a small city will soon fill a National Security Agency data center on a 240-acre site where officials officially broke ground on Thursday...

...The NSA said the data center is a component of the Comprehensive National Cyber-security Initiative "aimed at securing the United States' information infrastructure and coordinating its defense with state and local governments, as well as the private sector." The data center's mission is to help the intelligence community meet cyber-security objectives.

"The threat posed by computer hackers is very big, and it is growing," Senator Hatch said. "That is why this data center is so important."...

Dignitaries get ready to shovel dirt at the groundbreaking for the first Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI) Data Center at Camp Williams, Utah on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011. (Ravell Call, Deseret News)

Center to build Utah’s economy, patriotic reputation

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...data.html.csp#

Camp Williams » The creation of up to 10,000 construction jobs alone makes the Utah Data Center a great project for the state...

...As Maj. Gen. Brian Tarbet, head of the Utah National Guard, put it: “This will be an important link in intelligence and defense systems to find, fix and kill enemies and to protect American citizens.”

The facility, scheduled for completion in October 2013, will occupy 1 million square feet of space on 240 acres of Camp Williams’ property on the Salt Lake-Utah county line.

Its nerve center will be 100,000 square feet of climate-controlled computer space, where U.S. intelligence agencies will collect information that will be used to protect national security networks and help the U.S. Department of Homeland Security provide warnings about cybersecurity threats.

Accomplishing that on an accelerated timetable requires a massive investment in infrastructure — everything from the 65 megawatts of electricity needed for the computers and their cooling systems to the perimeter security system that will protect the facility from attack...

...Tarbet said his facility was selected as the Utah Data Center site because, “Utah and Camp Williams made the best case for taxpayers to put it here,” a boast validated later by Brig. Gen. Peter “Duke” DeLuca of the Corps of Engineers. He said that while there are “at least 50 perfect states to build a data center,” Utah won based on results of a selection process that evaluated 130 different factors...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 11:52 AM

Downtown Adj. - University of Utah Updates

Eccles School of Business Project

Rendering's Link: http://www.okland-const.com/projectD...?id=350&cid=19

This modern 5 level building will serve as a campus landmark as well as meeting the needs of the U of U Business
School. It features a 4 story atrium with a wood slat wall representing the local canyons. The wall will angle in
multiple directions as it ascends up from the main level. Various classrooms, offices, café, and auditorium are
contained within the 182,680 square feet. Also featured is an outdoor patio on the second level. Not only will the
patio serve as outdoor seating for the Café but it will also include permanent landscaping. The exterior will be clad
with terra cotta and features 63 foot high columns angled at 10 degrees supporting the upper level. This new building
will achieve a Leed Silver certification. Relocation of campus medium voltage and communication lines will also be
performed including the splicing of a 12,000 pair communication line.

OWNER INFORMATION: University of Utah
ARCHITECT INFORMATION: MHTN Architects
PROJECT LOCATION: Salt Lake City, UT.
PROJECT SIZE: 182,680 SF

Quote:
University of Utah

By T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 2:54 PM
Chairman

During my recent trip, I was amazed by the number of construction sites. Some real estate analyst say the DC area has one of the best real estate markets in the U.S. However I beg to differ after what I saw.

Update Question: I am not too familair with the former Sugarhouse "hole" so please forgive me for my lack of knowlegde. I stayed at Sugarhouse and drove by the former hole a few times. Everything around seemed to me as thriving. Why did this particular project fail (or is failing)?

-sb

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:40 AM

Hey Shak, That particular project was hit with the financing/recession debacle, just as it was gearing up. However, it is back on track now, and locals are saying they like the new plans better, as they have been downsized a little to a fit that most feel is more appropriate for the Sugar House area. There are a few recent articles about the new plans. I'll do a little digging and post them here for you.

Here we go,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Hole-plan.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...r-project.html

Great news. I like this new proposal. Things are getting back on track in sugarhouse, it seems. With the new trolley line, this new proposal for the "hole" and the Wilmington project, lots of cool things coming to Sugarhouse.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 11:51 AM

Downtown Projects

Quote:
From New Year's Day

By T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 1:46 PM

Organic grocery war looming in center of SLC?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ural.html.csp#

Whole Foods hopes to cash in on its new location at eclectic Trolley Square. But a new competitor, moving into the neighborhood three blocks north, may threaten the dominance of the natural grocer and spur a "green" grocery war in the heart of Salt Lake City...

(Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) The nearly completed Whole Foods grocery building on the corner of 700 East and 500 South at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City. This is a view of the Whole Foods' angular southern entrance looking west to the arched rooftop and doorway of the Pottery Barn.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 12:45 PM

Downtown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I updated my model of Tower 1 / The Promontory. Behind it is the new 35-story Marrriott Hotel under construction.

Tower 1 with the new 35-story Marriott Hotel in the foreground (wishful thinking!)
By Sight-Seer

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:23 PM

Salt Lake City Native, Starchitect of Fountains

..."Mark Fuller may be the closest thing the world has to a fountain genius"...The New Yorker.

The Salt Lake Tribune Reporting
By Natalie Dicou

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...ml.csp?page=1#

...Human reactions are Fuller’s favorite part of his work. When he visits the Bellagio, he turns his back to the
fountains, preferring to watch people’s faces.

“That’s the real payoff,” said Fuller, describing his favorite moving water as the tears that flow down people’s cheeks
when they view his work...

A Mark Fuller creation, Salt Lake City's Olympic Fountain at the heart of the Gateway District is a local downtown favorite.
Soon the giant City Creek project will unveil Mr. Fuller's latest in fountain wizardry to downtown Salt Lake City locals
and it's millions of annual visitors and tourists.

As photographed by James Neeley. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpn/

Last edited by delts145; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 1:26 PM

Downtown ~ Qwest Reclad Update

Quote:

By T-Mac

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:02 PM

Downtown - Promontory Tower Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Promontory is looking nice...

By John Martin

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 1:14 PM

Downtown - Macy's Regional Flagship Project - North Entrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Boy Blue View Post
I noticed the glass entrance to Macy's has gone up so I took a few pics.
I only live a few blocks away from CCC so it was nice to go out and get some clean, fresh air this morning while taking somes pictures.

By Your Boy Blue

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:40 PM

Downtown Projects Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Boy Blue View Post

South Temple

First South

West Side of Main Street

East Side of Main Street
By Your Boy Blue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations