HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 3:46 PM

MarkDaMan, much appreciated. I thought that this sure didn't seem a very Portland project.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 5:54 PM

I think there's a little too much snobbery floating around here. Some of us don't mind big box retail (if it's in the right area).
'Course, some of us don't think Applebee's is a hideous restaurant (us poor unwashed working class folk).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 5:59 PM

My 'snobbery' has absolutely nothing to do with the tenants of the complex, but everything to do with the acres of parking. I was unaware of the constraints of this project when I proposed my questions. Linear projects such as this, similar to Parkway Plaza in Southcenter area of Seattle seem very inefficient to me. Most people who are visiting will drive from one end to the other instead of having a more compact building footprint with parking underneath or on the roof and walking from store to store. In that regards, it seems surprising.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352
I think there's a little too much snobbery floating around here. Some of us don't mind big box retail (if it's in the right area).
'Course, some of us don't think Applebee's is a hideous restaurant (us poor unwashed working class folk).
I'm 'working class' as well and I can't afford to only shop at the highest end retailers, but I think big box can be done to the local scale instead of a corporate imprint in every city in America, along with several other reason for opposing a development like this one and the corporate croonies they attract. Look, Freddies is like America's first big box and there is hardly opposition to new stores. However, freddies also pay's their employees, starting, at least $10.50 for most jobs and extends health care coverage. They also are 'gasp' involved in their communities, though their dedication to the communities they served seems to have decreased since being acquired by Kroger.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 8:54 PM
No longer PDX

I don't see anything terribly wrong with Cascade Station. It will be nice to have an IKEA and if you have to put this kind of development somewhere, at the end of the runway is probably as good as you can get. Keep in mind it's also on a MAX stop which will reduce car trips and provide access for the car free, so it's not totally out of character for Portland.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 8:25 PM
A before E

I like the idea of having an IKEA in Portland...I also like the idea that it will be the IKEA for Oregon, unlike Walmart, who needs to build a billion of them in each state.

Plus on the positive side, without IKEA going in there, we would have nothing ever getting developed there. And if you ask me, I think that might be the best place for IKEA to go. Easy access by car or light rail. It is far enough from the city center to not take up high density land. Plus where it will sit, not like we would ever see any high density there, or any other kinds of development for that matter.

I think IKEA is making the best of an unwanted area in Portland.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 9:14 PM
Now in Portland!

I'm not against having IKEA, but it would have been nice if they had placed the building adjacent to the street, with parking beside and behind, so MAX riders wouldn't have to hike through acres of parking to reach the building. The problem with this development generally is that there seems to be a huge swath of parking between buildings and the streets, making it pretty much a standard strip mall that happens to have a couple of MAX stations nearby.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 6:34 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
I'm not against having IKEA, but it would have been nice if they had placed the building adjacent to the street, with parking beside and behind, so MAX riders wouldn't have to hike through acres of parking to reach the building. The problem with this development generally is that there seems to be a huge swath of parking between buildings and the streets, making it pretty much a standard strip mall that happens to have a couple of MAX stations nearby.
I agree with that, I thought it was odd too, that the entrance was so far away from the MAX stop.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 8:59 PM

^ yes! was there any reason to not just swap the layout for the IKEA property? seems like an easy call to put a door by the transit stop. people driving will be parking no matter what, its not like they will care

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Reisender View Post
^ yes! was there any reason to not just swap the layout for the IKEA property? seems like an easy call to put a door by the transit stop. people driving will be parking no matter what, its not like they will care
who do we contact about these concerns?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 11:12 PM

we could tell potter about it and he could put together a committee for parking lot visioning to best determine where the city ought to go with future parking lots and building placement issues. it'd be solved in 4-6 years easy!

seriously, i don't know. sam adams i guess

Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 1:45 AM
Karma Police

This same issue was raised earlier, before construction started. That was IKEA's decision, for better or worse. It's too late at this point to change that. Sam Adams wouldn't have any say in that. Maybe they can go back later and add some kind of pedestrian amenities to connect the entrance with MAX, if they don't already have something planned.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:50 AM

The city was bending over backwards to attract Ikea to Cascade Station. For that reason, I doubt they had much much of an inclination to twist their arm about the transit connections.

From their job postings, it looks like they may be shooting for the store to be up and ready for employee training by May 14th. Maybe an early June opening?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:02 AM
Karma Police

June opening? Just in time for the college graduates...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 7:34 PM
No longer PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
June opening? Just in time for the college graduates...
With this economy is it just in time for the graduates to get jobs there or buy there first furniture there

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
Karma Police

Both

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 1:55 AM

Man, don't f*ck with Randy, he'll bite your head off.

Giant IKEA sign prompts permit freeze

06:48 PM PDT on Monday, March 19, 2007

By VINCE PATTON for kgw.com

In an angry response to the giant size of a sign for Portland's new IKEA store, city commissioner Randy Lenoard has frozen all sign permits for the Cascade Station development district near Portland International Airport.

Leonard noticed the huge new sign while driving along I-205 recently. "I thought, where did that come from?" asks Leonard.

Portland city ordinances place severe restrictions on the height and size of commercial signs.

At 100 feet tall and nearly 2300 square feet, the IKEA sign eclipses all such regulations.

Bruce Allen, with the Portland Development Commission, says the sign was not exempted from the city's sign code because, "the city sign code was supplanted" by the creation of a special committee with its own rules to determine development decisions at Cascade Station.

Allen was one of three appointees to the committee that approved the oversized sign.

"Obviously IKEA stands out," says Allen. "It's part of their branding."

Commissioner Leonard says he's upset. "I think if you happen to be a large corporation with lot of attorneys and professional planners, that should not allow you to have a different set of rules than somebody who doesn't have those resources," says Leonard.

He concedes that developers are upset with his freeze on all new signs at Cascade Station until he gets answers to his questions.

"I think the law should apply fairly to everybody," says Leonard.

He doubts the IKEA sign will come down. But he wants to prevent any more like it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 2:22 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

lol

christ! well, I haven't seen the sign yet, so I'm not saying I disagree with him. But interesting... PDC exempted IKEA from the normal rules, eh?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 2:39 PM

For Cascade Station, different rules, bigger signs
Billboards - Commissioner Randy Leonard asks the city attorney to investigate the legalities of Ikea's new sign
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
RANDY GRAGG
The Oregonian

The city of Portland has been to the Oregon Supreme Court and back fighting for its controversial size limits on billboards and commercial signs.

But it took only the prospect of the Swedish company Ikea coming to town to get the city to relax its rules.

The evidence now rises at Cascade Station, at the intersection of Northeast Airport Way and Interstate 205, in a new calling card that's four times higher and 10 times larger than any new sign allowed elsewhere in the city: 100 feet high with three panels that are each 13 feet by 52 feet.

"It's so big it has to have blinking lights so that a jet doesn't plow into it," says City Commissioner Randy Leonard, who oversees city signage but knew nothing of the sign until he drove past it.

"I'm not convinced this is legal," he added. "We have clear public policy. The sign code is rooted in land-use law. There are requirements for public hearings."

Since the early 1990s, Portland has limited new commercial signs to a height of 25 feet and an area of 200 square feet. And for most of that time, the city has fought AK Media and Clear Channel in court over the regulations.

In a Multnomah County courtroom Thursday, Clear Channel will make closing arguments in another attempt to force Portland to allow dozens of new billboards across the city.

But in 2003 as the city was fighting Clear Channel, Leonard says, then-Mayor Vera Katz set into motion a different set of sign rules for Ikea.

"She called people into a room and told them, 'I want this Ikea to happen, and I don't want anything to stop it.' "

Ikea doesn't see it that way.

"We came to the dance after the rules were made," said Joseph Roth, public affairs director for Ikea United States. "We made very clear what our store and signage requirements were. And we were told that they would be compatible with Cascade Station."

None of the other officials who negotiated the deal -- the Port of Portland, the Portland Development Commission or Katz -- could be reached for comment.

But the sign regulations governing the Cascade Station Development -- and Ikea -- are dramatically different from those that apply to the rest of the city.

The city's "Title 32" code outlines numerous sign requirements throughout the city, many of them specific to particular areas, from the so-called "Broadway Bright Lights District" to Old Town Chinatown. But at Cascade Station both signs and building designs are approved by a four-person committee created under a development agreement negotiated among the city, the Port and Cascade Station's main developer, Trammell Crow.

The city and the Port of Portland hatched Cascade Station in 1997 in a complicated deal in which international construction giant Bechtel Corp. received development rights to 120 acres of long-dormant Port land for constructing Airport MAX. The rail line opened in 2001, but development sputtered until Ikea signed on.

The store -- which sells everything from candlesticks to kit-of-part houses -- at 280,000 square feet is more than four times the size of Cascade Station's originally planned 65,000-square-foot limit on single stores.

"We want to make sure that we bring businesses to Portland that support good business practices, including family-wage jobs and benefits," Mayor Tom Potter said in 2005. "Ikea measures up on every count."

But Leonard, who locked horns with Katz over the city's restrictive sign code soon after his election in 2002, calls the Cascade Station's sign arrangement "a scheme not a process, negotiated with clear intent to get around city design-review procedures." And while he and the city attorney's office investigate its legalities, he has put a halt to any more sign permits in the district.

Leonard's move has stopped several signs, among them a 65-footer with five 90-square-foot panels advertising other new stores at Cascade Station. That's more than two times higher and larger than what's allowed elsewhere

"It's not that we necessarily disagree that signs should be smaller," says Fred Bruning of CenterCal Properties who submitted the permit. "But you can't unring a bell. We have signed leases based on certain signage."

City planner Joe Zehnder declined to comment on the legalities of the process given the city attorney's investigation. But he pointed out that the City Council passed the allowances for different design guidelines in 2000 -- long before Ikea began its negotiations with the city.

"All along," says Zehnder, "there was a sense of needing additional flexibility at Cascade Station because of the big risks and public benefits involved, like bringing light rail to the airport."

Randy Gragg: 503-221-8575; randygragg@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...190.xml&coll=7

Last edited by 360Rich; Mar 20, 2007 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:04 PM

Yay Randy! At least somebody in city hall has got resolve, balls, whatever you want to call it. From what it says in the article, ikea probably has a strong legal case for their sign, but maybe the rest won't. To me, it seems ridiculous that a beacon store like ikea would need such an obnoxious sign to draw people. Ikea is such a phenomena that people would probably seek it out if it had no sign at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics