HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:24 PM

"Ironically enough, this city may very well be the quintessential Canadian city of the future."

Unlikely in a world of $100.00 a barrel oil. Thank God.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:33 PM

Great photos. . . what a curious place. . . architecturally it's quite bizarre. . . I've been through Mississauga, and the only times I needed to stop was to get cash at a drive-through ATM and gas up my car on the way out of Toronto. . . so yeah. . . that about does it. . .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Mississauga has a bunch of great urban areas: Streetsville, Port Credit (my favourite 'town' in mississauga), Clarkson, etc... but this is their "city centre".
I would be interested in seeing these other areas of mississauga you are talking about. I'll I've seen on these forums is the banal city center.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I would be interested in seeing these other areas of mississauga you are talking about. I'll I've seen on these forums is the banal city center.
Mississauga has swallowed up a few small towns over the years. Port Credit isn't bad but it's not amazing. It's probably the only other area in Mississauga that warrants a phototour (and I actually plan on getting to it someday). Streetsville looks like any town of 2000. As far as urban-ness, Hurontario and Dundas (a couple km south of MCC) has a bit more pedestrian activity, density and streetfront retail.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:24 PM

After googling Mississauga for more pics, I came across this website "Project for Public Spaces" that rated Missy 14th place for "The 16 Squares Most Dramatically in Need of Improvement"(2005).

14. City Centre, Mississauga, Ontario

Mississauga is Canada's 5th largest city but is known mainly as the home of Toronto's airport. It lacks a reputation to match its size. A big reason is, as Gertrude Stein once put it, "there is no there there" in the central district, which is dominated by a gigantic shopping center. This could be easily changed by focusing on improving the underperforming public spaces at the public buildings downtown and tying them into the mall with a newly created Main Street between them. Doing this, Mississauga could take a giant leap to becoming a real and dynamic city. With all the residential development happening near downtown and a commitment to a series of new parks to support these residents, Mississauga can be a model for the modern city.

http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/d...rperforming_us

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:14 PM

Mississauga has to stop pretending they are Canada's fifth largest city and all that crap. They are a suburb, and their downtown is Toronto.

I tell you. Scarborough and North York use to never say stupid things like "we are larger then Vancouver", and other stupid things like Mississauga does.

The old areas of Mississauga are very small. Port Credit looks kinda run down, but has a nice waterfront park. Streetsville is like two blocks long if that.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 8:45 PM

Port Credit run-down???? Yeah, whatever Mike.

Burnaby is more older and urban than Mississauga, there is no comparison. Not only is it much closer to Downtown Vancouver than Mississauga is to Downtown Toronto, it also has the Skytrain. It is somewhat denser overall too.

Mississauga is actually more similar to Surrey. Similar size, age, density, etc. I have lots of pics from all over Mississauga, perhaps I will post them in a different thread (I am not going to hijack Flar's thread). I have taken a lot of photos in the past because there are a lot of misconceptions about Mississauga, some of which I have pointed out already, and I like to dispel these misconceptions.

Yes, there are in fact some older, urban areas of Mississauga, and Mississauga is not car-oriented as people think. There are some areas with lots of pedestrians and the bus system is very busy. What other suburbs out there have 4 minute bus service? Not much.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 10:24 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Well, this thread is getting us all emotional. We need a good blizzard after all this warm weather to settle us all down!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 10:25 PM
From the Shwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post

Hey WZ1!!! How's 'Sauga working out for you? Do you have any shots from your new place comparative to the shots u took from your balcony at the Olympia??
DC - It's great place to live, I have no view however as I bought a house, not a condo. As for pictures, I might have gone out once or twice.. not much tho, ussually i go to Toronto or Hamilton if I want to take pics..

As for the argument.. you people need to just learn to accept Sauga for what it is.. Sauga is Sauga.. it is what it is.. stop fighting over it.. Yes Sauga is a Suburb, it is also a city.. does it really matter? Most people who live in Sauga are wealthy enough to have not just one car .. but many.. so it doesn't really matter.. people are happy and willing to pay 3 dollars in gas to buy milk.. thats just how it is.. I would go as far as saying.. Mississauga could survive fine with just the GO train system.. the truth is.. the poor people in Mississauga take transit... the rich drive.. anyone who tells you otherwise is full of poop.. or their name is Doady.. (i'm not slamming you doady) ... most people in Sauga have never heard of SSP, nor do they care.. they move to Sauga to have a big house, nice backyard and peace and quiet.. i know thats why i did .. (the commute from the Hammer also sucked).. given the chance to have a penthouse condo in Toronto.. with 3000 sq feet.. that could match my house.. I would take it in a second.. but the reality is.. 3000 sq feet costs 500K in Sauga.. or 2 Million in Toronto..

Many of you know me.. I have been around here forever on these forums.. I have lived in Dallas, New York, San Antonio, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton and now Mississauga.. and the truth in the matter is.. the older you get, the more money you make.. you will gravitate to the best deal and believe it or not.. your priorities may change.. after working a 10 hour day and getting your ass kicked at work.. when you finnaly get home at 6 or 7 .. sometimes you just want quiet..

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 12:00 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Ironically enough, this city may very well be the quintessential Canadian city of the future.

Perhaps it will improve in time?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
After googling Mississauga for more pics, I came across this website "Project for Public Spaces" that rated Missy 14th place for "The 16 Squares Most Dramatically in Need of Improvement"(2005).
Oh, the joys of the Project for Public Spaces square ratings. I think most people remember that this one comes up every few months in any 'sauga related thread. I should also probably point out that this was at the beginning of the project that PPS and The City began together to find ways to improve life in the square. I'm willing to bet you didn't bother looking that report up. The quick win parts of the report are already being implemented to improve the City Centre district. Burnhamthorpe Road was already narrowed down a land and had on street parking added. The right hand turn lane island was given up making it easier for pedestrians to cross. The Confederation Road extension was done with dedicated bike lanes included, and interesting street furniture added to the mix. Plus, the Sq. 1 access road north of the CIBC building was realigned this past fall to make it more of a grid.

The report also help push for a summer series which eventually became known as My Mississauga which included everything from weekly car shows, yoga during lunch, a Friday night movie series, a Saturday night concert series as well as other events and festivals that help bring more life. I believe as well, the current farmers market is being relocated into Library and Civic Squares as well. There are plenty of pics around for anyone interested into looking at them.

And Port Credit being run down is b.s. and anyone who has been there knows it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 5:49 PM

Missississsisssissississississississississississauga

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZ1 View Post
the poor people in Mississauga take transit... the rich drive.. anyone who tells you otherwise is full of poop..
Wow Mississauga must a have a lot of poor people then, even more than inner city Detroit!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 9:07 PM
Honored Member

From what I see here this city has lots of potential.
Don't forget this is a suburb of Toronto but I don't see it as a boring city like other suburban towns.
Give it some more time and there will be a great city to look at.
Go Sauga

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 12:24 AM

For it's credit, at least they are increasing the density and building high rises. The same goes for downtown North York, Scarborough Town Centre, Tyson's Corners VA, Perimter Center in ATL, 87-78 in NJ ....it's an edge city. You will never truly replicate the feel of an original city center with this stuff.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 1:01 AM
From the Shwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Wow Mississauga must a have a lot of poor people then, even more than inner city Detroit!

Maybee i am exadurating a bit.. but im not that far off.. everytime i have ever even tried to use it.. the system is slow and late.. i tried to be a good urbanite and take it to and from the GO.. but i just couldn't.. i had to go back to the car.. it takes 27 minutes to get from Clarkson GO to Erin Mills and South Millway (Burhamthrope) .. by car.. 6 minutes..

lets face it.. most people who live in Mississauga are suburban people.. they dont care about cities and transit is just something they have to use .. if they could afford a car .. given that they live in Sauga.. they would own one..It is a totaly different situation that Toronto and cannot and should not be compared..

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 4:06 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZ1 View Post
Maybee i am exadurating a bit.. but im not that far off.. everytime i have ever even tried to use it.. the system is slow and late.. i tried to be a good urbanite and take it to and from the GO.. but i just couldn't.. i had to go back to the car.. it takes 27 minutes to get from Clarkson GO to Erin Mills and South Millway (Burhamthrope) .. by car.. 6 minutes..

lets face it.. most people who live in Mississauga are suburban people.. they dont care about cities and transit is just something they have to use .. if they could afford a car .. given that they live in Sauga.. they would own one..It is a totaly different situation that Toronto and cannot and should not be compared..
Yes, but cars are killing us. To design and build a city today that REVOLVES around cars seems a bit askew.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 3:44 PM

^ Mississauga wasn't designed today, so the comment seems a bit strange. Mississauga of today is trying to move in the other direction. Hence:

1) Condofication along MCC. This would have been unthinkable and contrary to logic a few decades ago.

2) Proposals for light rail transit and BRT, along with improved GO service.

No city can transform overnight, especially one as badly planned as Mississauga. It just seems to me like it's some people's pastime to crap on Mississauga. But let's admit it, it's doing more to transform itself than any other suburb around (other than Toronto's inner suburbs).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 8:31 PM

Great set, thanks.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 4:29 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea Spy View Post
what a weird place... looks more like a suburb of Shanghai or Beijing than a city in Canada!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
not a fan of this type of sterile high-rise dystopia
it looks like one of those government built siberian cities with the snow; it also kinda looks like Astana, Kazakhstan.

thanks for the tour.

-

-fflint

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos