HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's a US-based World Cup featuring Mexico and Canada on the side.

I don't see how it makes sense for Canada to have four to Mexico's three if they're getting the same number of matches. They're both playing second-fiddle to the US regardless.
Maybe I wasn't perfectly clear.

My sense is that the three Mexican cities are "locks", but that not every one of the four Canadian cities is.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:17 PM

I'm not a fan of the US-led North American proposal. To me it seems a bit insulting to be seen as an appendage to the US, I'd rather we run alone, or not at all.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe I wasn't perfectly clear.

My sense is that the three Mexican cities are "locks", but that not every one of the four Canadian cities is.
What I'm saying is that if Mexico is getting three then Canada is getting three. Mexico with 3 and Canada with 4 doesn't make sense - they've been presented as equal partners throughout.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
What I'm saying is that if Mexico is getting three then Canada is getting three. Mexico with 3 and Canada with 4 doesn't make sense - they've been presented as equal partners throughout.
OK, me too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Mexico and Canada are each getting 10 games.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 9:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Just to put some of this into perspective here is how the tournament will go, I think

The tournament will open with a group stage consisting of 16 groups of three teams, with the top two teams progressing from each group to a knockout tournament starting with a round of 32 teams.

The number of games played overall will increase from 64 to 80, but the number of games played by finalists remains at seven, the same as with 32 teams, except that one group match will be replaced by a knockout match.

The tournament will also be completed within 32 days, same as previous 32-team tournaments.
You've taken this verbatim from the Wikipedia article on the 2026 World Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63
Mexico and Canada are each getting 10 games
If this is the case then it's basically six group games, two R32, and two R16 matches that the host team count potentially qualify for. The host country would have two host country group games, plus four other group games from the same group and nearby groups.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Not surprisingly, Ottawa and Regina are out of contention as host cities

http://www.canadasoccer.com/united-b...1183-preview-1

Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal left for Canada
Yeah, those were just vanity bids. Never really had a shot given the shortcomings relative to other cities - stadium size, lack of transit, small airports with few direct connections, lack of hotel rooms.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:21 PM

If Montreal does not find the funds to fix Olympic Stadium, then they will not host. Simple as that. Edmonton will be the third Canadian host city instead.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
If Montreal does not find the funds to fix Olympic Stadium, then they will not host. Simple as that. Edmonton will be the third Canadian host city instead.
They already said they would. WC or no WC.

Even though you might not have heard about it out west.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You've taken this verbatim from the Wikipedia article on the 2026 World Cup.
Yes, that is what it's there for, open source. Just wondering why you felt the need to search it? The reason why I qualified it was I'm not sure if that is how it will go in the end.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 12:28 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Yes, that is what it's there for, open source.
You didn't present it as open source - you presented it as your own thoughts. It has sourcing provided which you could have used to summarize and supplement your own thoughts. I don't care if you're copy/pasting wikipedia articles but I really think it's a no-no if you're supplementing it with "this is how I think it will play out" and pretending it's your own stream of consciousness.

Quote:
Just wondering why you felt the need to search it?
I didn't, actually. I ended up on the Wiki and noticed it was the exact same as what you has posited.

Quote:
The reason why I qualified it was I'm not sure if that is how it will go in the end.
You could have easily presented it as: I think it will work out the same as how this wikipedia quote says.

Regardless, the easiest thing you could have done was source something written by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy
Yeah, those were just vanity bids. Never really had a shot given the shortcomings relative to other cities - stadium size, lack of transit, small airports with few direct connections, lack of hotel rooms.
I don't really think Ottawa has any of these shortcomings.
Stadium can be expanded.
Stadium is downtown.
Airport large enough for direct flights.
Plenty of hotel rooms.

It's obviously not in the Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal tier of hosting cities but Ottawa is still at an acceptable enough level to host World Cup matches. Far worse places have and will host matches in the future.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 2:28 PM

Surprised we haven't seen many pictures of the temp seating going up at TD Place

https://twitter.com/amkfoote/status/913904170490527744

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:00 PM
Hmm....

^^Thanks, I was wondering about thay. I'm really surprised it's happening so late though. Most other places try to get it all installed early to use it as much as possible during the season. Are the RedBlacks nervous it'll decrease demand too much or something? It's usually a good opportunity to offer some cheaper seating and expand the fan base a bit.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:01 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanYEG View Post
To be fair, it's not really completed. None of the CRUs in the COE Tower are open yet. I imagine it will seem significantly less "cold and bland" once signage is up and the bank and restaurants (likely with patios) are open. Not to mention everything west of that building is currently a massive construction zone.

Probably best to revisit opinions on this in a couple years once it's actually completed.
and I certainly will revisit it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
Yes.
Best for you to stick to the Edmonton subforum then. The same applies to any Torontonian homer that has faulted people for expressing Dundas Square as bland, generic and everything wrong with consumerism. Trolling would be to call Dundas Square the height of arts and culture in Toronto. Ironically, that's how the Ice District is being sold and I don't just mean the marketing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Best for you to stick to the Edmonton subforum then. The same applies to any Torontonian homer that has faulted people for expressing Dundas Square as bland, generic and everything wrong with consumerism. Trolling would be to call Dundas Square the height of arts and culture in Toronto. Ironically, that's how the Ice District is being sold and I don't just mean the marketing.
I will if you stick to the Toronto subforum. But I guess that would not be so much fun for you as no one really posts much in that subforum and you would only be annoying yourself.

I am going to keep an eye out for your posts and continue to challenge you whenever and wherever I please.

Because, it's all in good fun, isn't it...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:59 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
You think the homerism is bad here, you should see it over in the Connect2Edmonton site. By their metrics this is the most iconic project in Canada that will elevate the city to world class status and deliver us a sophisticated, vibrant downtown

People who are sensitive about this project should probably stay over there

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 4:59 PM

Oh put a sock in it - this conversation has nothing to do with stadiums or arenas

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
You didn't present it as open source - you presented it as your own thoughts. It has sourcing provided which you could have used to summarize and supplement your own thoughts. I don't care if you're copy/pasting wikipedia articles but I really think it's a no-no if you're supplementing it with "this is how I think it will play out" and pretending it's your own stream of consciousness.
Uh no, I didn't present it as my own thoughts that's how you interpreted it. I said "I think" because I wasn't sure of the info, as Wikipedia is not the gospel of all truths. Wikipedia articles also often have numerous authors which makes citing like quoting the piece of art and not the craftsman.

It would be nice to know the real reason why you felt the need to look it up so please don't gimme any of that disingenuous BS about just coming across it. It would also be nice to know which forums you mod because I interpreted a post of yours from before that led me to believe you don't mod anything. But that was my interpretation. I just hope you don't have anything to do with the CFL thread (at this forum)

Last edited by elly63; Oct 5, 2017 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They already said they would. WC or no WC.

Even though you might not have heard about it out west.
I have not come across an article that says funding for the roof has been 100% been confirmed yet. Care to show me?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada