HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 8:55 PM

And if you look at those pictures of Bryant Park no one is on the grass... they are all on the concrete. I think considering the amount of people coming to visit and the fact that it is a memorial not really a park lend to how it has turned out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Its a logisitics question, the grass would become trampled in no time.
Exactly.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Note the difference between the 2 pics above.

In the right one, there appears to be more steel against the slurry wall - a sign that things ARE moving right along.
The black cross like things aren't steel... it's waterproofing for the slurry wall where the tie back endings are. It redirects any water to a proper drainage system. If you can find a picture of the north wall, you'll see them from one side of the wall to the other.

There are however, 6 new columns that were installed several weeks ago...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 1:44 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft View Post
Progress looks slow but activity continues around the core.

The left hand picture was clipped from http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/ last January 22nd, the right hand picture today February 17, 2008. The core around the left hand crane has doubled in size. Steel support has appeared against the back wall.
Glad to see that progress is still underway

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:19 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
NY Post

THEY WILL DO WINDOWS
LOOKING FORWARD TO WINDOWS ON THE WORLD III

February 13, 2008 -- THE new restaurant planned to replace Windows on the World won't be as big as the original. It won't be quite as high. And it's still at least five years away.

But what a thrill, this Valentine's Day week, to know that it's coming. New Yorkers who have come to doubt every announcement of "progress" at Ground Zero should know that, of all things planned there, a new, sky-high restaurant is the closest thing to a done deal.

This month, I sorely miss, as I have for the past six years, the reservation request that always gave me fits - for a Feb. 14 table at Windows on the World.

Friends said they'd settle for bad tables. But on short notice, I couldn't find them space in the broom closet, much less near a 107th floor window.

Ever since 9/11, Windows on the World's absence has been most painfully felt at holidays. That's why the Port Authority's request for proposals from eatery operators is so heartening in a week that celebrates the romantic heart.

Many will write off the planned opening in early 2013, still a long way off, as a joke. But, in fact, the new restaurant's home, now called "One World Trade Center, The Freedom Tower," is already rising. The steel has started from the earth.

The PA will not want for suitors to re-create what was the highest-grossing restaurant in the land. Who will make offers remains to be seen.

Lower Manhattan Development Corp. president David Emil was once head of Night Sky, the outfit that ran Windows pre-9/11; but he's no longer in the business, having sold most of his interest and left his executive role. However, Night Sky, which made a deal to run the Plaza's Oak Room, will surely give the RFP a close read.
i know this is a page or so back...but im excited. looking forward to eating here once it reopens!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:01 AM

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this before, but every time I look at the memorial..tower water fall holes...I always ask myself what will happen to someone if they fall in there? People may fall in there for all sorts of reasons..fooling around, 'stunt men', suicides [I really hope not..], and just plain crazy lunatics. I see that pit/trench, but still people are inventive.

My first glance of the holes is that its a hazard. I'm all for making a memorial to commemorate the victims, but this is just one part of it I don't understand.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this before, but every time I look at the memorial..tower water fall holes...I always ask myself what will happen to someone if they fall in there? People may fall in there for all sorts of reasons..fooling around, 'stunt men', suicides [I really hope not..], and just plain crazy lunatics. I see that pit/trench, but still people are inventive.

My first glance of the holes is that its a hazard. I'm all for making a memorial to commemorate the victims, but this is just one part of it I don't understand.
It's a NYC test - if you can't avoid falling in the water then please please please stay away from the subway.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Those renderings of the memorial feature a disturbing amount of concrete pavement. I'd prefer a look closer to that of Bryant Park:

benstrawbridge.com

wirednewyork.com

Boston has a park that looks similar to the one in the pic above in front of the
Harvard School of Medicine on Longwood Ave.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 2:40 PM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post

I think its a non-issue. You can say the same thing about a number of things, the subway for instance has no barriers whatsoever and people almost never purposely go into the tracks. A kid fell jumped or fell from a barrier at Yankee Stadium and was promptly arrested and banned from the Stadium. I can think of a million more effective ways to commit suicide than jumping in that shallow pit.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:16 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
It's a NYC test - if you can't avoid falling in the water then please please please stay away from the subway.

I just hope it will have a penny catcher/collector for all the tourists throwing loose change into it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:24 PM

WTC Waterfall holes

Will be interesting to see how the WTC waterfall holes operate when the temperature is well below freezing.

Aside to Realthang - thanks for info re: slurry wall non-steel waterproofing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:12 PM
Registered Ugly

Is it LEED certified? HAHAHA

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:02 PM
Urban Explorer

My only real problem is with how many trees there are everywhere....I feel like you will meander through the memorial, and will have to just stumble upon the two huge holes in the ground. There is no vista for seeing them except right next to the pits, which I think makes it difficult to take in the enormity of what used to be buildings. I could be totally wrong, but the forest look is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:26 PM
Ascension

Unless you're Helen Keller, you'll be able to see and hear 2 large waterfalls.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:17 PM
Frigidus Maximus

^ I was wondering whatever happened to Helen...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Note the difference between the 2 pics above.

In the right one, there appears to be more steel against the slurry wall - a sign that things ARE moving right along.

Just like I said before. It is a massive project. The bigger it is the longer it'll take to lay down the foundation. Since they're taking their time, they must be doing it right. Once the tower starts to rise, then I think things will speed up.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
I just hope it will have a penny catcher/collector for all the tourists throwing loose change into it.
Of course there will be, how do you think they plan to recover the investment?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_200 View Post
Of course there will be, how do you think they plan to recover the investment?
I thought that's what the Chinese were for?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 6:51 AM

Here is some photos from wtcrising.com (from Janyary):

You can't say there isn't any activity...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 2:20 PM
BANNED

And as the tower gets even taller, more workers will come!

I remember when 7 WTC's concrete base seemed kind of slow. But once the steel started rising, the tower took off!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive