HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upNaway View Post
Not being funny or nothing. but i asked the same question a year or so ago will this building have a hat truss like the original wtc ?, And the person who answered it was zensteeldude god rest his soul, he told me this building would NOT have a hat truss due to the core being incased in concrete, the building wouldnt need a hat truss because the core would hold it all together, im not sure if the plan has changed but thats what he honestey told me. R.I.P Zen
It looks like the design has been changed so now it would have a hat truss. It's not a bad thing to have a hat truss. You either use that option to minimize wind sway or another method called a tuned mass damper.

Here is a detailed picture of a hat truss.

Here is a diagram of a tuned mass damper. This design was use in Taipei 101.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:08 PM

yeah i understand the use of both idea's i just remember talking to zen about it, if you go to page 484 you will see all the details he was talkin about but awwesome 1 wtc is getting a hat truss its gonna be like an honour to the old wtc

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:20 PM
BANNED

don't very few skyscrapers in the USA have tuned mass dampers? I know the Citigroup Center, the one with the slanted roof, was the first one in North America to get one.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:56 PM

Yeah, I had heard awhile back that 1wtc wouldn't have a hat truss. Cool to see that they are putting one in. I always figured they would, regardless of the concrete core, because of the sway that a building of 1wtc's height can have in high winds..Another tidbit, correct me if I'm wrong, but Taipei 101's famous damper is actually more to stabilize it against potential earthquakes because it was built in a very earthquake prone area. So I thought dampers were more for earthquake stabilization than wind stabilization, since the weight of the damper acts as a strong central stabilizer in the face of ground shaking...So it makes sense that 1WTC will have a hat truss and not a damper.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Yeah, I had heard awhile back that 1wtc wouldn't have a hat truss. Cool to see that they are putting one in. I always figured they would, regardless of the concrete core, because of the sway that a building of 1wtc's height can have in high winds..Another tidbit, correct me if I'm wrong, but Taipei 101's famous damper is actually more to stabilize it against potential earthquakes because it was built in a very earthquake prone area. So I thought dampers were more for earthquake stabilization than wind stabilization, since the weight of the damper acts as a strong central stabilizer in the face of ground shaking...So it makes sense that 1WTC will have a hat truss and not a damper.
Nope. Taipei isn't earthquake central like Japan. Taipei 101's mass damper was designed for the typhoons, or what we call hurricanes, but you are correct that mass dampers can be used in buildings to make them earthquake resistant.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
don't very few skyscrapers in the USA have tuned mass dampers? I know the Citigroup Center, the one with the slanted roof, was the first one in North America to get one.
The John Hancock Center in Chicago has a tuned mass damper also, and so does the John Hancock Tower in Boston.

Also for those that are curious this is how the dampers work. This is for the John Hancock Tower in Boston. From the Boston Globe.

Quote:
Two 300-ton weights sit at opposite ends of the 58th floor of the Hancock. Each weight is a box of steel, filled with lead, 17 feet (5.2 m) square by 3 feet (0.9 m) high. Each weight rests on a steel plate. The plate is covered with lubricant so the weight is free to slide. But the weight is attached to the steel frame of the building by means of springs and shock absorbers. When the Hancock sways, the weight tends to remain still, allowing the floor to slide underneath it. Then, as the springs and shocks take hold, they begin to tug the building back. The effect is like that of a gyroscope, stabilizing the tower. The reason there are two weights, instead of one, is so they can tug in opposite directions when the building twists. The cost of the damper was $3 million. The dampers are free to move a few feet relative to the floor.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:54 PM

So the observation levels will be at the same area as the steel web that makes up the hat truss. I wonder if that will cut down on the space on those floors. I was just looking at that picture above.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Nope. Taipei isn't earthquake central like Japan. Taipei 101's mass damper was designed for the typhoons, or what we call hurricanes, but you are correct that mass dampers can be used in buildings to make them earthquake resistant.
Incorrect. T101 had to be designed to both be flexible enough to deal with earthquakes and rigid enough to deal with wind pressures. The tuned mass damper works in conjunction with the huge mega-columns to do both.

Taiwan is a major earthquake zone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:45 AM

Zen would have died of frustration if he were still alive, almost everything said in the last few pages is either incorrect or inaccurate. This Tower is totally different compared to the Twin Towers, the configuration of the structure is nothing close to the one envisioned by LERA. What we're seeing right now is not a hat truss, this tower doesn't need one, but a redistribution of loads to different paths. The observation deck will be almost column free space, only having 4 small columns that will carry a portion of the gravity load of the 101st floor slab (since this floor doesn't extend completely to the perimeter columns).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You are assuming that Tower One because of it's hight and the spire requires the same structural elements as the Twins. Your assumption is wrong.

Nowhereman1280 is rather close to the mark.

The core takes a bit more than half the gravity load of the entire tower and the spire sits directly on top of the core. No need for a hat truss, the core takes all the gravity load of the spire.

The perimeter steel takes most of the wind loads. The spire is anchored to the perimeter steel via 8 six inch diameter Kevlar cables. No need for a hat truss the perimeter steel takes all the wind load. (Kevlar because it is invisible to electromagnetic radiation.)

Each exterior wall of the tower is called a wind frame, it has to be thought of as a solid plane of steel because that is how it reacts under load.

One last thing, each floor of Tower One is also a strong structural element in and of itself securing the core to the perimeter. (The ends of the main floor beams are actually dovetailed into the concrete walls of the core, something impossible to do if the core were to rise ahead of the floors.)
(Never expect a non-technical answer to a technical question-- Albert Einstein)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
That's because the steel work has been delayed for so long it is going to take a while before the rest of the work can catch up.
It was stopped due to winter months and the need to heat area where fireproofing is being applied. It was planned to restart mid march, who could have predicated the crazy weather we are having where it 30 degrees above normal. But curtain wall should start in a week or so

alan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:25 AM
BANNED

So if it weren't for such a warm winter, we'd be farther behind then where we are now?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
So if it weren't for such a warm winter, we'd be farther behind then where we are now?
No this weird weather impacted much more than previous winter with all the snow, every time temps go up and down dramatically, it is a front coming through which brings winds and that means cranes can't work. Remember last Tuesday when it was in the 30s and Thursday in the 60's. The project lost more than a month due to the weather. Even today we had to shut the cranes down for an hour and half due to winds. Safety comes first.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:39 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 4:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 4:34 PM
Bionic Boogie

As of right now!

Steel erected!!!!

DSC_0140 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_0140 1copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Looking good...so this will be 1,248 feet?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:49 PM

Awesome photos

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:30 PM

Niceee Carlos!!!!!!!!! I think those core columns extend to 93M (1,223' 6"). The next set of perimeter columns will extend to the 100th floor.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:57 PM

Talking Steel

Ya its awesome, there really working hard this month to make up the delay. I'd say it will top out mid-Late April at this rate! Also, nice pic carlos!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive