HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:43 PM

Ah. I think it would be a longer wait than 2050 for another heavy rail line versus an LRT on Arbutus.
Also, I don't know if you'd want so much converging on Bridgeport Station, rather than another separate through-route to Richmond (by the time the second heavy rail line is needed).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:19 AM
Mac User

Not really a "fantasy" but just for fun I re-designed the skytrain map in the style of my favourite transit map: London's Tube.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:39 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post

Not really a "fantasy" but just for fun I re-designed the skytrain map in the style of my favourite transit map: London's Tube.
Looks awesome, I love it!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:03 AM

Nice work man! I like the look of that map a lot.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:54 PM

I wonder how many people have looked at that map and NOT noticed that Lougheed isn't labelled.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:03 PM

I noticed Lougheed was missing, also some of the 99 B-Line stops aren't labelled (Alma, Alison Rd), but visually it is one of my favourite maps that have been posted on here.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post

To me this map just really highlights the missing link in the system; a rail based Broadway line.
Maybe it's the scaling of this particular map (the translink maps seem to be "centered" further east) , but it really makes it clear that one of the more central, dense parts of the city is served by bus when less dense regions are already served by skytrain.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 AM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Where would you put a bridge? And roads to and from the bridge?
Woot, extend the Canada line via tunnel from Waterfront to the North Shore. You heard it here first.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Woot, extend the Canada line via tunnel from Waterfront to the North Shore. You heard it here first.
Elevated viaduct over the harbour. This thing would go to North Van, not to the creme de la creme in West Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
That is what I would go for, but studies have shown that the harbour is too deep there to make it feasible,
which has precluded that option. Too bad. That would be expensive, but cool and slick!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
If the harbour is too deep for a tunnel, a floating tunnel would be feasible. Extending Canada Line to the north shore and connecting it to a line that runs across the north shore municipalities would be the long term fix.

Add passenger only ferries from Vancouver to the islands would also take people off the first, second narrows bridges and upper levels highway.

Road pricing, road pricing, road pricing.
If a floating tunnel is feasible, let's go for it!!
Your scheme sounds rather good to me!
Opinions from more knowledgeable board members light be apt, here.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 2:41 AM

Are there any floating tunnels built anywhere in the world? Image search returns only visions of such.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:40 PM
ON3P Skis

Last edited by wrenegade; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Are there any floating tunnels built anywhere in the world? Image search returns only visions of such.
Norway is currently the closest to actually building one. It would cross the Sognefjord carrying the E39 motorway from Stavanger to Trondheim. According to this article the feasibility study is complete and the final concept study will begin soon (as of Aug 27, 2014).

‘Ship-safe’ floating tunnel looks likely.

There was push back from citizen groups not wanting to be the first in the world to build such a tunnel.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 9:16 AM
BANNED

Why not follow follow Hastings to the Crossing where Highway 1 is? Build another bridge across the inlet, carrying the Skytrain.

From there, find a suitable route to take advantage of the ridership.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Why not follow follow Hastings to the Crossing where Highway 1 is? Build another bridge across the inlet, carrying the Skytrain.

From there, find a suitable route to take advantage of the ridership.
This idea been suggested before, and it seems the most practical in terms of cost. Also, it lends reason to extend the Expo Line east from Waterfront into a "Hastings Line."

The possible downside is that, assuming that most of the North Shore ridership would come from Central North Van, West Vancouver (maybe as far as Dundarave) (??)
... it represents a big 'zig-zag' to get to downtown.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
This idea been suggested before, and it seems the most practical in terms of cost. Also, it lends reason to extend the Expo Line east from Waterfront into a "Hastings Line."

The possible downside is that, assuming that most of the North Shore ridership would come from Central North Van, West Vancouver (maybe as far as Dundarave) (??)
... it represents a big 'zig-zag' to get to downtown.
there would be a "zig-zag" so to speak, yes. but if it were to be implemented one would have to get a study done on times, etc of SkyTrain "zig-zagging" like that vs the current bus/SeaBus setup. even with that "zig-zag" it may still be faster doing it that way then the current way. taking into consideration wait, travel, embarking, transfers to SkyTrain.

though the line, i think, would have to run all the way to Lonsdale Ave as the terminus.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
there would be a "zig-zag" so to speak, yes. but if it were to be implemented one would have to get a study done on times, etc of SkyTrain "zig-zagging" like that vs the current bus/SeaBus setup. even with that "zig-zag" it may still be faster doing it that way then the current way. taking into consideration wait, travel, embarking, transfers to SkyTrain.

though the line, i think, would have to run all the way to Lonsdale Ave as the terminus.
I would extend it west to Park Royal and Hollyburn (15th) as that is a catchment area for Vancouver-downtown-bound commuters.
Quick rrt from there to Lonsdale Quay, and voilà, you're downtown.
Similar thing for much of North Van in fact,; North Van City Upper Lonsdale,
even perhaps more freguent feeder busses for such as Capilano, Edgemont, to
Lonsdale Quay, and perhaps feeder busses from Lynn Valley and points east to a station at Phibbs exchange

Just one other point: please don't put a monorail down Hastings. Either dig/bore it through, or
have stations with long escaltors leading to a station down the slope, nearer the waterfront. Less visual damage

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 1:36 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I would extend it west to Park Royal and Hollyburn (15th) as that is a catchment area for Vancouver-downtown-bound commuters.
Quick rrt from there to Lonsdale Quay, and voilà, you're downtown.
Similar thing for much of North Van in fact,; North Van City Upper Lonsdale,
even perhaps more freguent feeder busses for such as Capilano, Edgemont, to
Lonsdale Quay, and perhaps feeder busses from Lynn Valley and points east to a station at Phibbs exchange

Just one other point: please don't put a monorail down Hastings. Either dig/bore it through, or
have stations with long escaltors leading to a station down the slope, nearer the waterfront. Less visual damage
I'm against a Hastings Line in any shape or form, but let's face it, it's not like it could get any uglier. I think it would look badass with a New York style elevated guideway though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure