HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
That’s bold but I have to disagree. If MLSE puts the bid in, I think they’ll play at the ACC since the WNBA runs in the summer when the leafs and raptors are off.

If they are able to play in Hamilton, that would be pretty cool but I’m doubtful.
Good points! It would be cool but it looks doubtful

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
That’s bold but I have to disagree. If MLSE puts the bid in, I think they’ll play at the ACC since the WNBA runs in the summer when the leafs and raptors are off.

If they are able to play in Hamilton, that would be pretty cool but I’m doubtful.
I think there is almost zero chance they would play anywhere but Toronto. A team like that would need a ton of Toronto hype and it could not be generated by playing out of Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Larry Tannenbaum has already said the team will play where the Marlies play, and also that he is leading the bid outside of MLSE (which he will likely not be part of by the time this team is awarded, assuming it will be).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Conspiracy theory of the day:
What if OVG is delaying renos to keep Hamilton out of the mess that surrounds the Coyotes and potential NHL expansion? If true, that could be because they [wisely] want to stay out of it, or because the Powers that Be have demanded it be so.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Conspiracy theory of the day:
What if OVG is delaying renos to keep Hamilton out of the mess that surrounds the Coyotes and potential NHL expansion? If true, that could be because they [wisely] want to stay out of it, or because the Powers that Be have demanded it be so.
That's a conspiracy alright.

If the Coyotes relocate, they're going to Utah. It's pretty much a done deal at this point.
Hamilton's never getting an NHL team. Spare yourself the heartache.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:11 PM

Yup. the renovations are dropping the arena's capacity pretty significantly too. The arena as it stands today is basically the bare minimum to host an NHL team, and even then not really - the renos will drop it out of contention basically entirely.

If the GTA ever gets a second NHL team, it would need a new arena, and I suspect it would be closer to the central GTA. Mississauga or something.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:10 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
That's a conspiracy alright.

If the Coyotes relocate, they're going to Utah. It's pretty much a done deal at this point.
Hamilton's never getting an NHL team. Spare yourself the heartache.

I'm under no illusions, and gave up that hope long ago. As I wrote a few days ago, the NHL is "NEVER coming here on a permanent basis, so we all need to get over that"

Nothing associated with the Phoenix franchise ever seems done. So the 'theory' is just about silencing any speculation related to this town before it happens... if there is no readily available arena, there is no speculation no matter how suitable the final design may be for the league.

Bettman will be after a final windfall for the owners before he leaves his post (and it's GOT to be nearing that time; the man has been commish more than 30 years now, and is in his 70s). A move or expansion to his least favourite market would go against that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Yup. the renovations are dropping the arena's capacity pretty significantly too. The arena as it stands today is basically the bare minimum to host an NHL team, and even then not really - the renos will drop it out of contention basically entirely.

If the GTA ever gets a second NHL team, it would need a new arena, and I suspect it would be closer to the central GTA. Mississauga or something.
I'm not sure what the NHL minimum capacity is, but FOC as it stands (at 17,383) is bigger than seven NHL arenas:

Arizona (5,000)
Winnipeg (15,321)
New Jersey (16,514)
Seattle (17,151)
Nashville (17,159)
Anaheim (17,174)
New York Islanders (17,255).

I've seen two numbers for the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas (17,368 & 17,500), I'm not sure which one is accurate, but FOC is in the ballpark. What will the new FOC capacity be?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 8:25 PM

I don't think these renos to FOC are doing anything to add the needed suites and lounges that an NHL team would require that the planned uses don't really need.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:01 AM

Quote:

I don't think that the renovations are dropping the arena's capacity. That said, they will not involve enough luxury boxes (I think it will be something like 19) to meet NHL-level numbers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 9:33 PM

I swear I saw somewhere it was dropping from ~17,000 to ~14,000 with the renovations. Maybe I’m wrong.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I swear I saw somewhere it was dropping from ~17,000 to ~14,000 with the renovations. Maybe I’m wrong.
Maybe that was some alternate proposal. The current renovation is keeping capacity more or less where it is.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Maybe that was some alternate proposal. The current renovation is keeping capacity more or less where it is.
Last I saw they were punching some new vomitories to change which concourse the stands are accessed from (but infilling the old ones, probably a wash), and building over the top few rows of the lower bowl to add suites/loges so probably a slight net loss.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Last I saw they were punching some new vomitories to change which concourse the stands are accessed from (but infilling the old ones, probably a wash), and building over the top few rows of the lower bowl to add suites/loges so probably a slight net loss.
There will be two concourse levels post-reno. Is that correct? And where did you see this?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
There will be two concourse levels post-reno. Is that correct? And where did you see this?
The company I work for is bidding on some of the work.

Level 1 is part concourse, part club area, part locker rooms etc.

Level 2 is concourse, with access to lower bowl at mid height.

Level 3 is concourse, as it is now, but with suites around the long sides of the bowl that block the current top-of-bowl access to the lower bowl.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Level 3 is concourse, as it is now, but with suites around the long sides of the bowl that block the current top-of-bowl access to the lower bowl.
Thanks for the info! Does Level 2 exist today? Or would that somehow be an altogether new piece of construction?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Thanks!

That lone concourse gets pretty jammed at times, even with just a nearly full house in the lower bowl. So going to 3 levels, let alone 2, will be a major improvement.

I read that there were large areas of unfinished and unused space. I imagine part of that is the "trade centre" portion that is exposed when the lower rows of movable seating are pulled back? I recall when we still had an auto show it was used for displays, and also beer gardens for special events, but I remember it being mainly on the north side of the arena.

I believe that at one time there was also a connection from Jackson Square that led into the south portion below the lower bowl, but I think that must have run behind the rooms for teams and coaches, etc.

The roof was apparently in rough shape and due for replacement -- anyone know if they plan to do anything with the existing press box?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Does Level 2 exist today? Or would that somehow be an altogether new piece of construction?
It already exists. There is a street level concourse that extends almost around the entire arena. It has been used for storage almost since inception. It is located between the underground level 1(locker rooms, trade floor) and level 3(main concourse historically used for upper and lower bowls).

Ive seen some photos of the level 2. Ill try to find them.

Edit. From a spec article

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...s-source=login

Meanwhile, there are parts of the arena that have been hidden from public view almost since the day it opened, including a street-level concourse that wraps around most of the building and is used primarily as storage. The plan is for it all to be back in play.

“Thousands of square feet of unused space just waiting to be activated,” he says. “Most people have never been there.”

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
It already exists. There is a street level concourse that extends almost around the entire arena. It has been used for storage almost since inception. It is located between the underground level 1(locker rooms, trade floor) and level 3(main concourse historically used for upper and lower bowls).

Ive seen some photos of the level 2. Ill try to find them.

Edit. From a spec article

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...s-source=login

Meanwhile, there are parts of the arena that have been hidden from public view almost since the day it opened, including a street-level concourse that wraps around most of the building and is used primarily as storage. The plan is for it all to be back in play.

“Thousands of square feet of unused space just waiting to be activated,” he says. “Most people have never been there.”
Interesting. I had my levels confused.

EDIT: It looks like Slide 11 in this presentation has diagrams of the ice-level (below ground, Level 1) concourse and the street-level (Level 2) concourse...
https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=378717

Last edited by BCTed; Apr 17, 2024 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thanks!

That lone concourse gets pretty jammed at times, even with just a nearly full house in the lower bowl. So going to 3 levels, let alone 2, will be a major improvement.

I read that there were large areas of unfinished and unused space. I imagine part of that is the "trade centre" portion that is exposed when the lower rows of movable seating are pulled back? I recall when we still had an auto show it was used for displays, and also beer gardens for special events, but I remember it being mainly on the north side of the arena.

I believe that at one time there was also a connection from Jackson Square that led into the south portion below the lower bowl, but I think that must have run behind the rooms for teams and coaches, etc.

The roof was apparently in rough shape and due for replacement -- anyone know if they plan to do anything with the existing press box?
I was also curious about the press box. It seems that you have to walk across a bunch of catwalks to get to it now.

How much can we get for $280 million?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton