HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:12 PM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
Yes, I'm sure he's so JEALOUS because he doesn't wave red-and-neck coloured pom poms.. :rolleeyes:
Obviously, you didn't really read my post. I never said that Edmontonians were jealous of Calgary, infact I don't think I mentioned Edmontonians at all. I said that "much" of the negativity in regards to Calgary from the outside can be attributed to jealousy and I don't believe I'm that far wrong.

As far as my rant about Greco, go back and read anything he has ever posted about Calgary and tell me that I'm wrong.

Edit: My comments were made from Hootchs original post which said "Im really sure Edmontonians are jealous of your redneck city", before he decided to change it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:19 PM
BANNED

You know what? I just did. And you were actually right, so my apologies for jumping all over you, this forum is making me a little edgy.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:20 PM
Kid Dynamic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
You know what? I just did. And you were actually right, so my apologies for jumping all over you, this forum is making me a little edgy.
Apology accepted!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:33 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when this attitude comes from Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal, it's "justifiable pride". When it comes from Calgary, it's inevitably "snobbishness".
Calgary and TO are in the same boat here. Vancouver gets grudging wiggle room. Montreal gets adulation from everywhere except for the ROQ.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:08 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Gee, this turned into a vs thread...I'm so shocked and horrified...

Now, let's start the YOU STARTED IT....NO, YOU STARTED IT...NO YOU STARTED IT...

Seriously, read what Dinger has to say. Take its lesson. Move on.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:26 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

"Its lesson" was not the same as what the press picked up on. Its lesson was also based on a very shoddy research design- for example, having Vancouver as the only city in BC in the survey pre-cooked the results to favour it.

But despite these problems, the "lesson" was that Calgary did not come off looking bad at all. And this makes sense, because Calgary is in the end a great city and a great place to live.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:30 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
...and good for Calgary.

Are we done now?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:34 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
...and good for Calgary.

Are we done now?
"we"?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just thought I'd point out that to some people, saying "my city is good" somehow turns into a vs issue.

Says a lot more about the reader than the poster, if you ask me.

Why the Edmontonians seem to flock to these threads and cry "OMG VS" is beyond me - no one said a single bad thing about Edmonton. Nor any other city.

Article said Calgary is no fun. Calgarians argued this and said it was. Wow, what a battle.

Edit: oops, sorry. Someone did say something negative about Edmonton - an Edmontonian snowboarder.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
Change is good

^^ same shit goes either way. Some people just can't take criticism of there own city no matter how true or false it may be.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:22 PM

I'm not losing any sleep over it. The net migration numbers tell us we're doing OK. I certainly don't need someone else to heap praise on this great city for me to feel fortunate to be able to live here, and live well. And if some goof from Winnipeg is that obsessed about Calgary that he lurks SSP jumping at every opportunity to complain about our city - well then at least we have the name recognition.

Unfortunately the price of being a business hub is that people perceive business cities as not being particularly fun. Just ask any resident of Atlanta, Houston or Dallas (or Toronto for that matter). These are places where people seek opportunity, not "fun".

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 7:22 AM

^My thoughts exactly. I really could care less about what one person's opinion is. The numbers speak for themselves.

Still puzzling though, is the amount of negativity towards Calgary (and Alberta) from Winnipegers. Of all the times I've looked at the Winnipeg/Saskatchewan thread, I've yet to see Calgarians on there posting anything negative. Here on the Alberta section, Winnipeg is rarely ever mentioned, yet always there's a steady negative presence from that direction.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 7:42 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Hmm, I don't think there's a lot of negativity towards Calgary from the Saskatchewan posters though. If there is then I apologize! I enjoy Calgary...but really, I enjoy travelling anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Hmm, I don't think there's a lot of negativity towards Calgary from the Saskatchewan posters though. If there is then I apologize! I enjoy Calgary...but really, I enjoy travelling anywhere.

No, you guys are good. Oh, and Go Riders!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:11 PM
Change is good

Saskatchewan can't hate Edmonton or Calgary or even Alberta for that matter - it's their second home!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:30 PM
Hamletropolis

This is the same kind of garbage that Edmonton has tp put up with in the press, this time it is Calgary that is whipped. I live in Edmonton and I love Calgary, it IS a fun place. I have a blast everytime I go there, then again that could be just that the people I'm with know where to go and what to do!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Still puzzling though, is the amount of negativity towards Calgary (and Alberta) from Winnipegers. Of all the times I've looked at the Winnipeg/Saskatchewan thread, I've yet to see Calgarians on there posting anything negative. Here on the Alberta section, Winnipeg is rarely ever mentioned, yet always there's a steady negative presence from that direction.
It's not just on the Internet. If you ever visit Winnipeg, be wary of mentioning where you're from. Especially if alcohol is being served.

You know where else I see it from, oddly enough? Quebec. We can have a thread go MONTHS without seeing anyone from the far east post, and one guy makes a comment about Calgary getting something ahead of Montreal, and suddenly 5 Montrealers are raising hell.

Honestly, I think there exists a contingent of people who troll this site doing nothing more than looking for an argument about their home city.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:45 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
some people feel Calgary is a snobbish city. There may be some truth to that.
Honestly, thats what makes Calgary great. Some times it's taken to the extreme, but Calgary has such confidence and balls, it really does feel like they believe the sky's the limit.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Still puzzling though, is the amount of negativity towards Calgary (and Alberta) from Winnipegers.
Wasn't Winnipeg destined to be the core of Western Canada until Calgary said the hell with that? If that is the case, the negativity is somewhat understandable from a Montreal's point-of-view.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:46 PM

I haven't been to Winnipeg for about 6 or 7 years, but I felt some of that negativity when I was there. I was in Winnipeg to help move my company's IT operations to Calgary, so that would be expected from the people I dealt with.

Outside of work, there still seemed to be a general underlying sentiment against Calgary/Edmonton/Alberta.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy