HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:25 PM

The water is still a bit brown and that is 1.5 kilometers away from the water main break. It was a very dark brown earlier but is now a very light beige colour.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Assiniboine Park Zoo.....Zoo official Laura Curtis says the Winnipeg attraction applied for a liquor licence for the entire grounds and hopes to have the new rules in place by the summer.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ence-1.4081381

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:32 PM

That's terrific news, I can finally share a beer with a monkey. Better still, people will get to see that having a beer while walking around isn't the end of the earth.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 6:34 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Programme: CKND Magazine
Orig. Air Date: ~ Sept. 1987
Host: Stan Kubicek
Interviewees: Reeh Taylor (Downtown Business Assoc.) and Al Hamm (Pres. of Eaton Pl.)
Subject: Downtown Winnipeg Revitalization

Video Link

NOTE: The Downtown Business Association was a predecessor to the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ...At the time there were only preliiminary discussions of moving to a BIZ model.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 6:14 PM

Crazy story today about a shooting that closed the skywalk right by the WPS HQ... reports are suggesting that it took place in an office. Either way, it's scary given how busy that skywalk typically is over the noon hour when this happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...lice-1.4093798

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 8:49 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Crazy story today about a shooting that closed the skywalk right by the WPS HQ... reports are suggesting that it took place in an office. Either way, it's scary given how busy that skywalk typically is over the noon hour when this happened.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...lice-1.4093798
WPS doing tactical practice yet again.

Nothing to see here, move on.

Last edited by LilZebra; May 2, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:08 AM

Winnipeg has a Design Quarter now... cool idea to showcase the companies and organizations involved in that field.

https://www.designquarterwinnipeg.ca/home

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:18 AM

Oh no a Beaverton article about Winnipeg... lol

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/04...e-in-winnipeg/

Obviously the Beaverton is satire but unfortunately I think this is kind of what people outside of the city think of Winnipeg. I hope one day the city can fix its perception problem.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:02 PM

Paddlewheel Princess catches fire:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...fire-1.4109432

If really is the end of an era for passenger riverboats in Winnipeg. Sad day.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Paddlewheel Princess catches fire:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...fire-1.4109432

If really is the end of an era for passenger riverboats in Winnipeg. Sad day.
not a sad day, unless this thing turned into a floating museum tied to a dock, we were never going to see this on the Red again. it hasn't been on the Red in years and even when it was it was struggling to stay alive.

times have changed, having an overpriced dinner on rickety ship days are over. when i win millions, i may bring a luxury yaght to the Red and offer tours

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
not a sad day, unless this thing turned into a floating museum tied to a dock, we were never going to see this on the Red again. it hasn't been on the Red in years and even when it was it was struggling to stay alive.

times have changed, having an overpriced dinner on rickety ship days are over. when i win millions, i may bring a luxury yaght to the Red and offer tours
Yeah, it is what it is. People really could not be persuaded to bother with riverboats anymore. I went on the River Rouge on a long weekend back in 2013 and there was hardly anyone on the boat... I can't imagine that the owner could have covered much more than fuel and crew costs, if that. And that was one of the days you'd expect to be the busiest. The writing was on the wall.

For what it's worth, it was a pretty fun way to spend an afternoon. I guess you need lots of marketing to keep reminding people that you're still there.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:19 PM

I get that times have changed, but I still think it's a shame that these boats are gone. I would try to go at least once a season and it was a pretty cool way to see the city and a nice way to spend an afternoon. The splash dash tours are okay, but the large riverboats were a relatively unique feature of Winnipeg. Hard to believe we could support 4 or more large boats for some years.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:51 PM

It's like a generational thing. For so long now, people of Winnipeg have turned their backs to the rivers. Like others have said, there were numerous boating clubs with docks throughout the City in decades past. Slowly those things disappeared.

Was it the cost of boating? Or just lack of interest? I don't see how flooding would be the sole factor, as flooding would've been occurring back in the day as well. Would controlling river levels now play a factor in 'revitalizing' the river? Probably.

I hear so many people when looking for houses or cottages don't even want to get near the water because of flooding. Which I sort of understand. But man, I think it's one of those media things. All you hear about is how the flooding in 2009 destroyed these cottages in one corner of a lake. So everyone everywhere abandons the waterfronts. Okay, it was a little more far reaching than that. But still.

Just like downtown. It's going to take generations to rebuild what has been in decline for generations. Same goes for the river. I think controlling water levels is the first step.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't see how flooding would be the sole factor, as flooding would've been occurring back in the day as well. Would controlling river levels now play a factor in 'revitalizing' the river? Probably.
Problem with the spring flooding was you never knew where the docks were going to be, and if they had to use the park(s) they lost their amenities like the permanent ticket boots. Flooding also shortened the cruses as the boats were unable to go under the Redwood bridge and showcase the exchange/forks district.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Just like downtown. It's going to take generations to rebuild what has been in decline for generations. Same goes for the river. I think controlling water levels is the first step.
Having a place to dock would help as well. The 50 year repair of the Alexander Dock that lasted fewer than 10 years didn't help. I seem to remember that there's some significant animosity between select city officials and the owner of the River Rouge that may have contributed to the problem.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is what it is. People really could not be persuaded to bother with riverboats anymore. I went on the River Rouge on a long weekend back in 2013 and there was hardly anyone on the boat... I can't imagine that the owner could have covered much more than fuel and crew costs, if that. And that was one of the days you'd expect to be the busiest. The writing was on the wall.

For what it's worth, it was a pretty fun way to spend an afternoon. I guess you need lots of marketing to keep reminding people that you're still there.

50% Off an $18.95 Weekday Afternoon Sightseeing Cruise aboard the M.S. River Rouge

Enjoyed it when I was younger..I don't know how old this ad was when taken, but when it came to docking it could do it just about anywhere, no infrastructure on the river needed..

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:59 PM

when Richie owned the River Rouge he used his dock on the Red River by the La Salle Hotel on Narin Ave

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 10:19 PM

Yeah,remember that..Unfortunate about the move from the Alexander Docks..Good location.

Source

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:14 PM

I read that City TV is bringing back local newscasts in a bunch of markets, including Winnipeg. Without knowing any of the details I'm going to assume that it will be a halfassed effort designed only to appease the CRTC given that most local programming these days seems created that way, but hey, at least it's something.

For what it's worth, back when they were still A-Channel they had a somewhat legit evening news program.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:59 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
I read that City TV is bringing back local newscasts in a bunch of markets, including Winnipeg. Without knowing any of the details I'm going to assume that it will be a halfassed effort designed only to appease the CRTC given that most local programming these days seems created that way, but hey, at least it's something.

For what it's worth, back when they were still A-Channel they had a somewhat legit evening news program.
People watch the news on TV?

The closest thing to broadcast news in my life is me listening to CBC Radio One to and from work. I think it has been nearly a decade since I actually watched the six o'clock local news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan