HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Seems a tad excessive (# of new threads given posting history...perhaps a returning forumer?)

Threads like these usually don't end well.
Not a returning forumer, I've just been following the forum for a long time so I have lots of ideas for threads. I'll try not to start any new ones for a while cause I don't want to be an annoyance to other forumers.

Sorry if my threads seem a little "doom and gloom", I'm not trying be a pessimist or be a dark cloud in the forum. Oddly, I consider myself an optimist, say there was an Aboriginal uprising, it could be a real chance for reconciliation depending on how we embrace it and make a better Canada.

Anyways, hopefully this thread doesn't turn into something very negative, I just thought it could make for an interesting discussion.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:57 PM

It only took like 12 posts for people to start blathering about corrupt on-reserve leadership. Guess what, folks? 1. The large majority of Indigenous leaders are not corrupt. 2. Corrupt leaders are not a problem confined to Indigenous people, in case you don't pay attention to politics, and 3. If you want a list of problems facing Canada's First Nations, the casual ignorance so far displayed in thread is way higher than any corrupt leaders.

Close this thread, christ.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:03 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

While the number of Aboriginal Canadians is increasing, they're looking less and less like traditional Aboriginal Canadians. By the time they reach critical mass to initiate an uprising, almost all of them will look white. At which point, they will carry the "seed of their oppressors" in 90% of their genes.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of such a revolution, if anyone has a right to be pissed off it's aboriginal people throughout the world, but I think that ship has pulled up its anchor and is about to sail away.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It only took like 12 posts for people to start blathering about corrupt on-reserve leadership.
For the record, I'm pretty sure I got this from CBC. They've basically been my sole source of aboriginal-related information for the past few years, and I know I didn't invent that corrupt on-reserve leadership was a known problem, so it must've come from them.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The longest journey begins with a single step. Take that step, lio, go on, take it!
What step...?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:32 PM

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domest...0G14SR20140801

Hopefully Reuters is considered a reliable news source...? Just want you guys to acknowledge it's not something I just made up.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Close this thread, christ.
So you're saying you consider that one the aboriginals' main problems is that non-aboriginal Canadians don't pay any attention to them, yet you'd rather make it a taboo subject for non-aboriginal Canadians to discuss? I hope you can see the irony...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:11 PM

No one is saying the previously mentioned problem of corrupt leadership exists. It clearly does.

But whenever a bunch of white Canadians start talking about First Nations, the conversation tends to go straight in that direction. It's ridiculously predictable.

If we want to talk about why the quality of life is so poor for so many Indigenous Canadians, let's talk how the descendants of European settlers spent about four centuries pursuing ill-conceived and destructive attempts at assimilating Indigenous people, including, within living memory, forced relocations, separation of families, and massive-scale abuse in residential schools (the last of which closed in 1997). You can't spend 400 years dismantling the social and familial underpinnings of an entire, and then, observing how fucked up things have become, say, "Yeah, but look at that overpaid band chief. Tut tut."

This immediate recourse to the "corrupt leadership" line is a nice and easy way to absolve the broader society of responsibility and pin all the problems on native people themselves.

EDIT: AS to "Bandage" up above, if you think that European settlers were "winners" and Indigenous people "losers", I suggest you read the sixth bullet point on your silly list and consider how it might apply to yourself.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada