HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Yeah BRT is just fancy bus service, but if it delivers on the actual 'rapid' part as a frequent, efficient and reliable method of getting places it will get one of those strikes erased.

Problem is the network as built won't really be going places as you mentioned. It will be great if you're Fanshawe student who needs to get to campus from downtown, which may make some Western students jealous.

One day LRT could run down Oxford. It has a pretty wide right of way from Richmond to Adelaide. Approaching Wharncliffe it could follow the CP route a bit on it's journey to Western Road perhaps, avoiding the Wharncliffe and Oxford intersection, rejoining at the curve where Wharncliffe becomes Western Road.

It could also continue along the CP right of way and have stations at Patt's Lane, Wonderland/Sarina and even Hyde Park.

Waterloo Region runs some of their LRT along rail corridors so why can't London do the same? If BRT, routing it on Oxford would make more sense vs a busway.

...But for now this is all a pipe dream once again. We decided where the network will go and where it won't for this generation.
It's London. We think small here. We use the comments section of the London Free Press to guide the 'vision' at City Hall.

So I expect LRT in London sometime around 2070.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
The problem with using Oxford instead is that there isn't much along there. It is almost entirely low density housing. Going along Dundas there are tons of businesses and higher density housing full of people that will use rapid transit.
What do you mean, not a lot?

There are tons and tons of students who live on that stretch of Oxford Street alone. My problem with Dundas is as a lifelong Londoner, I still see that as 'crack alley'. Many buildings still vacant, abandoned, the McCormick factory has been sitting half demolished for god knows how long, crackheads roaming about still, watching drug deals by the police station, its crazy.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 11:25 PM

Lane restrictions to start Monday on part of East London Link.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/dundas-str...ject-1.6811256

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:25 PM

Forestry crews have been making progress clearing the trees along the east side of Wellington around Wilkens for the BRT widening work to come. They have also been busy clearing the trees to the east of the bridge on both sides of the river.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 9:46 PM

Very interesting 50 minute interview with the chair of the Transit Commission on the Craig Needles Podcast today. She talks of course about the budget and the call for an audit, and whether the LTC should be moved in house at city hall. Also talks about the service hours that are being funded compared to the needs, and also the very large number of additional hours to service BRT that they won't have funding for (and that's not even the actual operation of BRT, just the hours needed to operate the current LTC to allow people to get from wherever they are to a BRT route. Also dropped in the hints that like Kitchener LRT, the construction might get done before the funding is found to be able to operate BRT.

A link can be found on this page https://londonnewstoday.ca/podcasts

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 10:09 PM

Well I could see where money is being wasted.. buses for one.

In 2003/04, LTC finally decided to buy some new buses, after being considered one of the oldest fleets in Ontario (some buses were reaching 35+ years). Problem is that majority of these buses they bought in 2004, are already retired or scrapped. I find that ridiculous when the buses we had before, lasted almost 40 years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:29 PM
User Registered

City approves transit village... without rapid transit. The cancelled east leg BRT would have been close by.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-tower-debated

A similar situation is unfolding at Masonville mall, which was the terminus of the cancelled north LRT, then BRT line

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:00 PM

"Nothing in the neighbourhood is over 3 stories" the lady says. Does she consider the neighbourhood to only be one square block? 25s fits this area perfectly, not sure what she is smoking.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:33 PM

First BRT stop being installed. Wonder how long it will be before it is vandalized?

https://london.ctvnews.ca/bus-rapid-...tone-1.6858702

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:55 AM

^^^ I read the article, and it states that the shelters will be made with reinforced glass which is much harder to break. Added to that, these stations seem to be very well lit and have security cameras and due to being rapid transit stations, they will be much busier than a normal shelter so I think they will be fine. There may be some breakage but no more than any other city's transit station.

As for the stations themselves, they look pleasant, safe, well lit, have good wayfinding, spacious, and well signed to make them easier to identify and locate. Not flashy but quite nice and user friendly.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
and due to being rapid transit stations, they will be much busier than a normal shelter so I think they will be fine. .
Except there is no rapid transit for the next several years, and I'm not even sure most of these are near current transit routes. This one I think it said was Ontario St Northbound, which could only be between Dundas and King going into the Fairgrounds and no buses currently operate on the new westbound bus lane on King St (that Ontario northbound would connect to from Dundas westbound). The area is home to a large street population, I think they chose this area first just to see how well it stands up to vandalism. "no more than other cities's transit stations?", please, this is east London where the very day the new underpass opened, it had vandalism.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

photo in this article about the first bus shelter being installed

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...rom-the-ground

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure