HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13461  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 9:54 PM
superfishy superfishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 47
Picture I took from the base of Savina (left) a couple weeks ago.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13462  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 9:55 PM
superfishy superfishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 47
Oops, sorry for such a massive image. Don't know how to resize it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13463  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:56 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Registered Putz
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 22,592
Is that building near Little Italy? If so, walked right by it yesterday.
__________________
Castigat ridendo mores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13464  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:05 AM
HurricaneHugo's Avatar
HurricaneHugo HurricaneHugo is offline
Category Five
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Marina (she's still there) and I just have to say, this is an amazing city and I don't know why I waited so long to visit.
Glad you liked it!

You're from Houston, what would you recommend to visit there?

Might go for a wedding later this summer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13465  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:48 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Registered Putz
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 22,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Glad you liked it!

You're from Houston, what would you recommend to visit there?

Might go for a wedding later this summer
Houston is not a touristy town. At all but definitely check out the museums (Natural Science, Fine Arts, Menil, Holocaust, etc) and if you're a foodie, this is the place to be. I won't bother mentioning the zoo because you guys pretty much got that covered over there...
__________________
Castigat ridendo mores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13466  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:32 PM
eburress's Avatar
eburress eburress is offline
Listomatic on iTunes
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Glad you liked it!

You're from Houston, what would you recommend to visit there?

Might go for a wedding later this summer
For your sake, unless you like suffocating humidity, I hope it's a heavily air conditioned indoor wedding!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13467  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:09 AM
SDCAL SDCAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 768
Horton Plaza more drama

I thought this article was interesting:

Jimbo’s is suing Westfield Horton Plaza. The 15 year contract they signed stated Westfield would operate a “first class regional” shopping center, and clearly that hasn’t been done.

So not only are they bleeding tenants, one of the few that remains is suing them for millions.

I wonder if this will help expedite the redevelopment?

It’s really a shame Westfield let it get to this point. Hopefully an overhaul will happen soon. I do go to Jimbo’s every couple of weeks and each time it seems like HP gets more seedy. Not only are many of the stores closed, but I noticed yesterday they aren’t even doing basic upkeep like painting and structural repairs.

I think if they put street level retail along 4th it would do really well with all the foot traffic from the Gaslamp

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...story,amp.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13468  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:01 AM
Northparkwizard's Avatar
Northparkwizard Northparkwizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13469  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:07 AM
Steadfast Steadfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
That project looks pretty great... Should be a very nice addition to the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13470  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:49 AM
Will O' Wisp Will O' Wisp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I thought this article was interesting:

Jimbo’s is suing Westfield Horton Plaza. The 15 year contract they signed stated Westfield would operate a “first class regional” shopping center, and clearly that hasn’t been done.

So not only are they bleeding tenants, one of the few that remains is suing them for millions.

I wonder if this will help expedite the redevelopment?

It’s really a shame Westfield let it get to this point. Hopefully an overhaul will happen soon. I do go to Jimbo’s every couple of weeks and each time it seems like HP gets more seedy. Not only are many of the stores closed, but I noticed yesterday they aren’t even doing basic upkeep like painting and structural repairs.

I think if they put street level retail along 4th it would do really well with all the foot traffic from the Gaslamp

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...story,amp.html
If you read between the lines the story is a bit more interesting. Jimbo's is saying that Westfield promised a "$400 million dollar investment" into Horton Plaza that encouraged them to put down $5 mil of their own to make improvements in anticipation. I've heard that "$400 million" figure before, that was the expected cost renovate but not redevelop HP. They'd knock down the parking garage, build retail along the street edges, and redesign the entrances/exits to be more open but keep the basic structure intact. Now Jimbo's is saying that plan has been abandoned and Westfield is going to sell. And if Westfield is selling that means one thing: the entire plaza is going to be bulldozed down to street level and rebuilt from the ground up.

Jimbo's is understandably upset, they just spent $5 million dollars improving a store that's now about to be demolished. But Westfield never put down any renovation promises in writing, and "first-class regional shopping center” isn't a legally defined term. However, Jimbo's knows that outstanding legal issues will reduce HP's sales price, so Westfield will settle out of court for some undisclosed sum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13471  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:08 AM
Steadfast Steadfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
More news on Horton Plaza changing hands...
https://amp-10news-com.cdn.ampprojec...rom%20%251%24s
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13472  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 8:10 PM
Will O' Wisp Will O' Wisp is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 48
And we have confirmation!

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...485448731.html

Buyer is Stockdale Capital, it looks like this is their first property in SD. The article mentions Stockdale is looking to build mixed use office/retail on the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13473  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:07 PM
spoonman's Avatar
spoonman spoonman is offline
SD/OC
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,317
Looking at their website it appears that Horton Plaza is far and away the most important project they have ever done, or have done as of late. Will be interesting to see if they have the clout and resources to do something with the center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13474  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:03 AM
Steadfast Steadfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
There was a blurb in one of the articles about the developer converting the old Nordstrom site into creative, co-working space.
I bet that would be a good demographic fit for the area!
Fingers crossed they can move quickly...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13475  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:29 PM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201
To piggyback off the above post, Horton Plaza to be redone as office campus:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...615-story.html

Good news, I think. San Diego really needs this. Sometimes I feel our downtown is 'hollow' with mostly hotels and service-type jobs, and empty nesters. Should add vibrancy, especially if workers live downtown, extending to after-hours.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13476  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:28 AM
embora's Avatar
embora embora is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 114
I went to Horton Plaza yesterday for the first time in a few months, and a whole lot of the stores are closed and the windows are covered up. Probably connected with the sale of the property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13477  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:26 AM
Steadfast Steadfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Good news, I think. San Diego really needs this. Sometimes I feel our downtown is 'hollow' with mostly hotels and service-type jobs, and empty nesters. Should add vibrancy, especially if workers live downtown, extending to after-hours.
Totally agree.
I'm actually really excited about this proposal... Not only should it eliminate the " fortress" feeling of the current mall, it should have a really positive impact on the edges of the gaslamp.
I'd really like to see that whole area get a little less kitchy & more useable by downtown residents.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13478  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:44 PM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 201
As someone who lives downtown, I couldn't agree more.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13479  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:46 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Totally agree.
I'm actually really excited about this proposal... Not only should it eliminate the " fortress" feeling of the current mall, it should have a really positive impact on the edges of the gaslamp.
I'd really like to see that whole area get a little less kitchy & more useable by downtown residents.
How about putting up a new basketball/hockey arena at the Horton site? San Diego is big enough to attract new teams here. The old Midway arena is old and too small for big league hockey and basketball. Need at least 20,000 seats nowdays. Of course, would need a guarantee of teams before being built. Would bring a lot of economic activity to the area on game days, as nearby Petco Park does on game days. Quite sure the Horton parcel is big enough for an arena.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13480  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:08 PM
S.DviaPhilly S.DviaPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
How about putting up a new basketball/hockey arena at the Horton site? San Diego is big enough to attract new teams here. The old Midway arena is old and too small for big league hockey and basketball. Need at least 20,000 seats nowdays. Of course, would need a guarantee of teams before being built. Would bring a lot of economic activity to the area on game days, as nearby Petco Park does on game days. Quite sure the Horton parcel is big enough for an arena.
I did hear a rumor about a year ago that the guy who purchased and is bringing major league lacrosse to San Diego, was thinking about building an arena downtown where the Chargers stadium was proposed on tailgate park. All privately financed and it would be a hockey, basketball and a lacrosse arena. The rumor is the Anaheim Mighty Ducks would move down to SD (since the Honda Center is dated), The Gulls back up to Anaheim and the NBA is going to expand by two teams...bring the SuperSonics back to Seattle and expanding a team down here in SD. This guy currently owns I think 49% of the Brooklyn Nets so he has invested interested in the NBA already. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

Then imagine what could be developed where the Sports Arena sits now. Super prime location/valuable land!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.