HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:27 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post
And if it doesn't happen now, Austin is almost certainly never getting an MLS team. So it's McKalla for MLS or it's no MLS ever. I know which one I vote for (even though I strongly favored Butler Shores originally).
I agree. Butler Shores was my #1 too. And, I agree, if McKalla fails...say goodbye to the MLS - and any other major league team for quite some time. Our fair city is becoming increasingly unfriendly to businesses and is obviously venomous to sports franchises.

This is not going to fair well for all of us in the short and long term

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
How many showed up at the Onion Creek event?

That's my point. None of the "pro" rallies is big enough to force a council member to show up. Also, if constituents raised their voices as loud or louder than the NIMBYs, they'll be forced to respond. At this point, even though there may be more in favor of MLS, the anti-groups are winning the battle...again...because the "pro" side cannot seem to organize a solid campaign.
https://www.facebook.com/events/842723585920074/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Man. 10am on Thursday downtown? When there are going to be 300 other soccer specific events going on around town. Not sure how much this was thought out.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:45 AM
I'm here for no one.

Virtually no support for MLS was vocalized by the Mayor or CC in todays work session about MLS. The negative voices seemed to be the only ones speaking up.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/s...ubD1DJwUG4JnJ/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Virtually no support for MLS was vocalized by the Mayor or CC in todays work session about MLS. The negative voices seemed to be the only ones speaking up.

I listened to the whole thing and all I got was that Pool/Alter continue to be awful. Tovo was pretty supportive. Mayor and Pio are already on the record in favor so I don’t read much into their comments. Flannigan had a comment during the part of the discussion about affordable housing that seemed like he could easily get on board.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
I listened to the whole thing and all I got was that Pool/Alter continue to be awful. Tovo was pretty supportive. Mayor and Pio are already on the record in favor so I don’t read much into their comments. Flannigan had a comment during the part of the discussion about affordable housing that seemed like he could easily get on board.
I choose to be optimistic. It's a feeling out stage. Keep hammering your councilmembers' inboxes. Assure them that this stadium is supported.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Really? I listened to the whole thing and thought it went better than I expected. Outside of Pool and Alter who we knew 100% were already against this, Tovo sounded positive, Adler is on board with Tovo, Flannigan made the great point of, "we have lots of spots for affordable housing, we don't have spots for a stadium". It sounded to me just like a negotiation. What were you expecting to happen?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning19 View Post
Really? I listened to the whole thing and thought it went better than I expected. Outside of Pool and Alter who we knew 100% were already against this, Tovo sounded positive, Adler is on board with Tovo, Flannigan made the great point of, "we have lots of spots for affordable housing, we don't have spots for a stadium". It sounded to me just like a negotiation. What were you expecting to happen?
The only thing that's holding Tovo back is she wants Precourt to bring more to the table. She wants to make sure the tax payers will not be on the hook for infrastructure enhancements, among other things. The proposal that was presented at present would need to be sweetened in order for her to give her blessing. I find that reasonable, unlike Pool and Alter's opposition to the idea. Sometimes I think Pool's vocal opposition is a publicity stunt. I never really even heard of her until this topic came up. Since then she has been in the forefront of the debate making a name for herself in every discussion about bringing MLS to this site. I can't read her mind, but I don't think she would be willing to concede that this would be good for the CoA, and I don't see her even willing to compromise. I agree, there are only so many places to put a soccer stadium, and I'm not sure she would accept any alternative location without bringing up affordable housing or open bidding again. With all due respect and my apologies to everyone here, I just think she needs to get laid. That usually works for me. Anyone here want to take one for the team?

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The only thing that's holding Tovo back is she wants Precourt to bring more to the table. She wants to make sure the tax payers will not be on the hook for infrastructure enhancements, among other things. The proposal that was presented at present would need to be sweetened in order for her to give her blessing. I find that reasonable, unlike Pool and Alter's opposition to the idea.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I am as big a booster of this deal as any and I too would like to see Precourt pick up both the infrastructure tab and build a new MetroRail station at the site. I think that alone could get this across the finish line even with the rigid anti-deal stance of Pool and Alter.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I am as big a booster of this deal as any and I too would like to see Precourt pick up both the infrastructure tab and build a new MetroRail station at the site. I think that alone could get this across the finish line even with the rigid anti-deal stance of Pool and Alter.
Curious if they would have the same expectations for any retail/low income development there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
Curious if they would have the same expectations for any retail/low income development there.
I believe (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that infrastructure costs are typically the responsibility of the developer. And I think the proposed MetroRail stop at Broadmoor is the responsibility of the developer as well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I believe (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that infrastructure costs are typically the responsibility of the developer. And I think the proposed MetroRail stop at Broadmoor is the responsibility of the developer as well.
None of which were part of Precourt's initial proposal.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
I imagine that it depends on the type of infrastructure. MetroRail stops are simply something that a developer might propose to construct on their dime to sweeten the pot for the city to guarantee project approval. In fact, I’d wager that logic applies to a lot of infrastructure.
Killeen/Temple Metro: 443,773 (+9.49%) + Waco Metro: 268,696 (+6.30%)
Rural Hill Country: 247,597 (+4.13%)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:32 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
You do realize that downtown Austin is not the center of population for Greater Austin, right?

Furthermore, the location of the "cultural heart and soul" of Austin is debatable! First of all...define it.

Also, City land was "offered"/suggested by.......the City (Tovo).

I have never heard anyone debate that the heart and soul of Austin is not DT. Where are the big events and festivals held??? Where do the parades happen??? I could care less about population center, fact is the heart of Austin is the cultural heart and soul of the city as is the surrounding central core. I recently met a guy who just moved here and he told me he visited the Domain a week after he moved, which was where he originally thought about renting an apartment but instead found a place near S. Lamar. His impression of the Domain was that it was sterile, anywhere USA. He was very happy that he chose the S. Lamar corridor because it was close to DT and culturally how he precived Austin to be. Every single Austin native knows where the cultural heart and soul of this city is. When Austin is mentioned what are the first images that come to mind? The State Capital, UT, East 6th Street, Zilker Park, the river aka Ladybird Lake aka Town Lake ect. There is no debate about the cultural heart and soul of this city is. You wanted me to define it, well I just did.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:06 AM

Thought you guys might find this part pertaining to Austin interesting.

Texts reveal new details about Sacramento's MLS bid and the financiers being courted
BY RYAN LILLIS
Sacramento Bee
June 16, 2018

Public records show that a third ownership scenario for an MLS team in Sacramento may also be in play. A city records request filed by an Austin, Texas, law firm in April sought correspondence between city officials and Anthony Precourt, owner of the Columbus Crew MLS team. Precourt plans to move the Crew to Austin before next season, but the records request — combined with an ESPN analyst’s prediction last week that the Crew will move to Sacramento — has fueled speculation that Sacramento may be Precourt’s second option if he’s unable to secure a stadium deal in Austin. Neither Precourt nor the law firm that filed the records request responded to requests for comment.

As for Precourt, there were no text messages released this week detailing conversations between his company and Sacramento officials. Precourt is in negotiations with the city of Austin to take control of a site for a planned MLS soccer stadium, setting a deadline for the end of June. Last week, ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman said on air that he does not think the Crew will move to Austin, but instead will “end up in Sacramento.” He did not elaborate.

Complete article

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/new...213123774.html

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Texts reveal new details about Sacramento's MLS bid and the financiers being courted
BY RYAN LILLIS
Sacramento Bee
June 16, 2018

Public records show that a third ownership scenario for an MLS team in Sacramento may also be in play. A city records request filed by an Austin, Texas, law firm in April sought correspondence between city officials and Anthony Precourt, owner of the Columbus Crew MLS team. Precourt plans to move the Crew to Austin before next season, but the records request — combined with an ESPN analyst’s prediction last week that the Crew will move to Sacramento — has fueled speculation that Sacramento may be Precourt’s second option if he’s unable to secure a stadium deal in Austin. Neither Precourt nor the law firm that filed the records request responded to requests for comment.

As for Precourt, there were no text messages released this week detailing conversations between his company and Sacramento officials. Precourt is in negotiations with the city of Austin to take control of a site for a planned MLS soccer stadium, setting a deadline for the end of June. Last week, ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman said on air that he does not think the Crew will move to Austin, but instead will “end up in Sacramento.” He did not elaborate.

Complete article

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/new...213123774.html
I'm having a hard time seeing the news here.

There's a Sacramento rumor. Someone filed an open records request months ago. We have no idea of what those records returned or even if there were any such (whether such a conversation happened at all). We basically no nothing more than we did before.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

Fairly positive update from Pool on the official City Council message board today.

http://austincouncilforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1057

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Fairly positive update from Pool on the official City Council message board today.

She's saying she's for sale. Someone give her a bag of money and this will be done by end of June.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Seemed pretty negative to me. But maybe that's what counts for non-NIMBYism in the world of Leslie Pool.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Seemed pretty negative to me. But maybe that's what counts for non-NIMBYism in the world of Leslie Pool.
Very negative opinion piece in today's ABJ. The writer does some work for Epstein / Circuit of the Americas... these guys are trying to c0ck-block this thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin