HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:54 PM

Other than the long lost opportunity of designing and building Lougheed Station properly in the first place, this new configuration seems the best workaround solution to a botched mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Next round of transit service changes are coming on June 25th: https://www.translink.ca/Schedules-a...e-Changes.aspx

Of particular note, they are changing the platform designations at Lougheed station to avoid wrong-railing trains at Burquitlam:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:10 PM

What would have been the best way to build Lougheed Station?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I think he's referring to the basket weave that was not followed through on when they built the Evergreen Line out of cost cutting. It would have allowed for the current platform configuration without wrong-railing and no crossover switching at Burquitlam.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
I think he's referring to the basket weave that was not followed through on when they built the Evergreen Line out of cost cutting. It would have allowed for the current platform configuration without wrong-railing and no crossover switching at Burquitlam.
Basically, yes.
Although I’m not at all convinced a 3rd track and 3rd platform was ever needed at all. Maybe it helps avoid train conflicts.

Last edited by Olden Retreiver; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:52 PM. Reason: Rambling hypothesis deleted

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
Expo line doesn't goto VCC Clark. It terminates at Production Way.
Ah, of course, thanks
- so the issue only arises for SFU students boarding at Lougheed (on foot or from a bus) going to Production Way.

From the diagram below - it provides a convenient same platform transfer from eastbound Millennium Line to eastbound Expo Line.

From the Daily Hive:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/lough...e-2018-changes

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post
Basically, yes.
Although I’m not at all convinced a 3rd track and 3rd platform was ever needed at all. Maybe it helps avoid train conflicts.
I think it was to facilitate Lougheed's use as a terminus station with trains reversing direction.
(i.e. the reason why the Sapperton-Columbia leg can't be operated as a branch of the Millennium Line (instead of a branch of the Expo Line).
It was also designed to allow a direct train from Expo Line to Coquitlam (with reversing).

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 12, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:22 PM

Finally, common sense prevails at Lougheed Centre. Aside from the extra switch maintenance, People probably got confused about getting on at platform 2 on any train and being told to get off at Production-Way. Now the only shared platform is platform 1 and going to Coquitlam or Waterfront.

Production-Way will become the main transfer point from Expo line to millenium line heading west from a convenience standpoint. Only one head to head conflict which is after the station headed east - Douglas/Lafarge train vs. Production Way/University which should be manageable. Essentially platform 1 will be extra wide due to not much passengers loading on platform 2, platform 2 really an unloading platform for Expo.

Looks like I'll need to go there June 25 or so afterwards to see the new routing!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:30 PM

so if coming from coquitlam centre and wanting to go to say new westminster you will now need to walk down and back up. Pretty clear I guess. I live right there and don't use the skytrain much anymore.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:49 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I still really enjoy the artistic style they have with these new videos. Even with no audio I was able to clearly understand what they were trying to say.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:11 AM

What are the long term "SkyTrain" extension/new lines plans?
•VCC-Clark - Arbutus
•King George - Langley Center
•Arbutus - UBC
•?
•?
•?
What are official plan ideas not fantasy. is there a plan to go past waterfront down Hastings st?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
•VCC-Clark - Arbutus
•Arbutus - UBC
•?
•?
•?
What are official plan ideas not fantasy. is there a plan to go past waterfront down Hastings st?
I don't know that there are any "official" plans - look at the B-Line routes as that's usually what comes before Skytrain.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post
Basically, yes.
I agree, as Bridgeport Station shows you can merge two lines easily.

That being said, because Expo turns back at PW, the extra Lougheed platform allows for staging of an Expo Line briefly without conflict to let a MLine go ahead without delay.
The extra platform also allows for service through the station in the event of a medical issue or stalled train.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
so if coming from coquitlam centre and wanting to go to say new westminster you will now need to walk down and back up. Pretty clear I guess. I live right there and don't use the skytrain much anymore.
Or, keep riding one more stop and switch at Production Way where you can just cross the centre platform.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:23 AM
Vancouverite

i have a question, what is the prupose of the centre track at Port Moody Station? as seen in this google earth screenshot.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i have a question, what is the prupose of the centre track at Port Moody Station? as seen in this google earth screenshot.
That's a storage pocket to the west of the actual station. They can (and do) park trains there in between morning and afternoon rush hour, and sometimes overnight. It's also a convenient place to park a problem train so that it's out of the way and not blocking trains in either direction.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:39 AM
SkyTrain Nut

-as explained above-

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:40 PM

Besides the 99 which B-line or future b-line is the busiest? I just want to see were we will be in 2030.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Besides the 99 which B-line or future b-line is the busiest? I just want to see were we will be in 2030.
I would assume the 95 on Hastings or perhaps the 91 on 41st. (though Translink says that the 95 is actually slightly less well ridden then the 135 was)

The other B-Line Corridors are much smaller than Hastings or 41st currently are (or were before B-Line-ification)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
•VCC-Clark - Arbutus
•Arbutus - UBC
•?
•?
•?
We know for certain the next 2 major projects (estimated built around 2024-2030) will be:
Broadway (VCC-Clark - Arbutus)
Surrey LRT

After that, these are likely: (https://tenyearvision.translink.ca/planned-projects)
Project development and early works for the Surrey-Langley Line
Planning for a potential gondola to SFU Burnaby campus
Planning for rapid transit to UBC Point Grey campus

You are missing the Evergreen Line PoCo spur. Coquitlam Central is built for that connection, which likely wont happen for a while.

I don't see a Skytrain for Hastings/95 B-line happening for at least 25 years, as it's redundant with the Millenium line, and tunneling along Hastings will be too expensive. Not much space above ground either.

Last edited by dothediu; Jun 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
If it was a completely new build, I think the way Coquitlam Central is built (for the future with the PoCo spur) would have been the best way to build Lougheed. They did not have the space to build another platform for the south of the station, plus there's a bunch of switches already at the east and west of the station.

https://goo.gl/maps/kHbjkKm9fBJ2

4 platforms, from north to south:

1 - from Burquitlam (side platform)
2 - to Burquitlam (centre platform)
3 - from Braid (centre platform)
4 - to Braid (side platform)

But then again, Columbia seems to work with just 2 platforms with the spurs. If only Columbia was built as centre platform station, it would've worked well but pretty busy for sure.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post
Project development and early works for the Surrey-Langley Line
Didn’t TransLink stated that the line will be LRT or something?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure