HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:10 PM
sick transit, gloria

The new public art and expanding seating on the street certainly helps, I imagine. I never really go down to King because it's not my scene but tempted to check it out (Bar Hop is there at least).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:13 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

That's great to hear, hopefully they expand it to other streets in that case. Socializing on a street or patio with drivers gaping at you is always annoying.

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:19 PM
I am the law!

I'm not particular. My scene is one I can walk to and one that I can get back home without major injury or my bladder exploding. The subway is a death trap for both. The GO is awesome but, I can buy two more pints for the cost of it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:43 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm not particular. My scene is one I can walk to and one that I can get back home without major injury or my bladder exploding. The subway is a death trap for both. The GO is awesome but, I can buy two more pints for the cost of it.

I'm glad that my local with amazing craft beer is literally a 3 minute walk from me! And my secondary one about halfway on my bike ride home.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:27 PM
I am the law!

Craft beer scene is getting better with new restaurant openings however, the older establishments are taking their time to catch on. Beer is so so. Whiskey is amazing. I like the food. I'm faaaar from a foodie though.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The new public art and expanding seating on the street certainly helps, I imagine. I never really go down to King because it's not my scene but tempted to check it out (Bar Hop is there at least).
Lack of cars has certainly improved the atmosphere on King Street. When I'm going out on Thursday/Friday, 90% of the time it's on King between Spadina and Bathurst. Definitely a younger scene, but if you want to check out how it's changed, I'd recommend grabbing some amazing Mexican food at Wilbur and then hitting the patio at Belfast next door. Not quite as good a beer selection as Bar Hop, but still about 30+ beers on tap.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Was out on King Street last night at the bar, and I saw the TTC testing the new streetcars. King Street Project looking so good. So many people out on the street and a pure party vibe, chill vibe. Love it so much, could never imagine a bus on this route. Gotta hold on to our streetcars tight if Dougie Doug is in charge.
Why would the Premier of a province have any say, control, or interest in a local transit corporation?

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:13 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Why would the Premier of a province have any say, control, or interest in a local transit corporation?
He wants to upload some ttc rolling stock to provincial oversight and control. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
The Premier has ultimate authority over the city and all city departments. They can restructure the city and/or pass down operational requirements as they see fit.

As to why they might take the time making a legislative order to eliminate rail based surface transit? I couldn't say. They should have more important things to pay attention to right?

Same in Alberta. Calgary exists because the provincial government finds it convenient to not manage the day-to-day operations of the city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
The Premier has ultimate authority over the city and all city departments. They can restructure the city and/or pass down operational requirements as they see fit.

As to why they might take the time making a legislative order to eliminate rail based surface transit? I couldn't say. They should have more important things to pay attention to right?

Same in Alberta. Calgary exists because the provincial government finds it convenient to not manage the day-to-day operations of the city.
If I recall as the TTC is a City of Toronto agency it would directly be a holding of the city. TTC can be impacted via subsidy cuts but I do not beleive the Province can, with the stroke of the pen, desolve the TTC. It could maybe order Toronto to restructure how it delivers public transportation but I don't think it could break-apart a Toronto City owned entity. TTC has largely been its own animal, for much of its history as self-sufficient entity.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:42 PM

But the province has always been heavily involved in Toronto Transit, and not just through Go Transit. Queen's Park is always willing to give billions in transit funding for constantly changing plans, often more ridiculous than the previous version (Scarborough Subway).

Metrolinx also builds rapid transit lines, 100% funded by provincial tax-payers, before handing them over to the TTC (Eglinton Crosstown).

Meanwhile, the Downtown Relief Line, the one transit project that could be considered essential, is no where near where it should be, because the votes are in the burbs.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:22 PM
Community Guy

Churchill Interchange

Used with permission

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately cities in Canada are a domain of the province so legally they do have control. More realistically you are correct that province`s should not be setting local transportation policy but if they don`t want any provincial input then they shouldn`t ask for any provincial money. The province has the legal and moral right to make sure those funds are being used wisely for the general good and to be responsible to the taxpayers of not only the city but all taxpayers across the province who will be contributing to the local project.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:34 PM

Has any provincial government vetoed a transit project because it was a bad investment? It seems the Scarborough Subway and Trillium Line extension in Ottawa (around $700 million to extend an unreliable, single track diesel train, with an airport spur that requires 2 transfers to downtown) are good candidates.

Other than Mike Harris who buried the Eglinton Line cause that's just what he did (along with closing hospitals), and Federal Minister John Baird who held the Federal contribution for Ottawa's original N/S rail in 2006 (lack of public support, kill Liberal project, new Mayor who wanted to replace the old plan with an E/W line and downtown tunnel), I can't think of any examples.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:19 PM
Insertoronto

The Eglinton that Harris killed was going to be even more of a money sink than the Shepard subway. It's a good think that it got cancelled.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:54 PM

Granted the Crosstown stretches much further than the original Eglinton West Line, but is it far superior?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Granted the Crosstown stretches much further than the original Eglinton West Line, but is it far superior?
More than 20 years ago when Harris cancelled the Eglinton subway. Lots of time for further extensions if we had proceeded.

Cancelling projects of this magnitude wastes time and taxpayer's money.

Wasn't a Sheppard extension also cancelled after spending millions?

Politicians are the worst transit planners. This should be left to the experts and once construction begins, it is plain stupidity to cancel a project. We never recover the money or the lost opportunity.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Has any provincial government vetoed a transit project because it was a bad investment? It seems the Scarborough Subway and Trillium Line extension in Ottawa (around $700 million to extend an unreliable, single track diesel train, with an airport spur that requires 2 transfers to downtown) are good candidates.

Other than Mike Harris who buried the Eglinton Line cause that's just what he did (along with closing hospitals), and Federal Minister John Baird who held the Federal contribution for Ottawa's original N/S rail in 2006 (lack of public support, kill Liberal project, new Mayor who wanted to replace the old plan with an E/W line and downtown tunnel), I can't think of any examples.
I live near the Trillium Line and for most potential riders in this area, it is and will be unusable.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:59 AM

TTC seeking new CEO with salary up to $356Gs

Quote:
Think you have what it takes to run the Red Rocket?

Six months after Andy Byford left his CEO post at the Toronto Transit Commission to run New York City’s transit system, the TTC has published a job posting for his replacement.

The listing for chief executive officer was posted to the TTC’s careers site with a June 22 deadline to apply. It comes with some perks, including a massive annual salary ranging from $247,556 to $356,046.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...ry-up-to-356gs

Interested? Apply here: https://ttc.talentnest.com/en/posting/35564

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:03 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I live near the Trillium Line and for most potential riders in this area, it is and will be unusable.
How come? Just curious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada