HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
A Joffrey tower situation doesn't seem as likely.
So how long is it going to be until they re-clad Joffrey? It looks like absolute ass now

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:55 PM

Home2Suites - Clark / Huron

June 11

Using a crane to take down a crane

Controlling the pressure

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:22 AM
Urbane observer

From tonight's Third Ward meeting, a color rendering of the CMK project at 14th & Wabash:

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:37 AM

I hope that red on the bottom is glass.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
From tonight's Third Ward meeting, a color rendering of the CMK project at 14th & Wabash:

Looks promising! We should hope the remaining surface lots along Wabash in the South Loop get this kind of development - no parking podium, retail at ground level. There's a surface lot on the other side of the street just begging for a 30-story apartment and/or condo tower.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Looks promising! We should hope the remaining surface lots along Wabash in the South Loop get this kind of development - no parking podium, retail at ground level. There's a surface lot on the other side of the street just begging for a 30-story apartment and/or condo tower.
Looks like it takes out a 1 story Columbia College building as well

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:39 PM
Urbane observer

^That little building has been gone for weeks, and the contractor already has a lot of the pilings in. CMK is planning occupancy for early next year.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

I'm not likely to every buy or rent in a CMK building since most of the units are tiny as hell but I do like the work they do. They do a really good job with hiding parking podiums and their buildings seem to meet street level pretty well. They're almost like an anti-Fifield.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:04 PM
Leftist Correctist

My only nitpick would be that recessed setback on the right side which will unfortunately leave the ugly party wall of the neighboring building exposed for posterity.

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:35 PM
you know where I'll be

14th and Wabash Renderings

Thanks for digging this up!

Is the design architect B+L? Or did CMK go with someone else for this one? I’d thought I’d seen a mention of Papageorge somewhere....

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:38 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I'm sorry to all the haters but Chicago makes really great glass boxes. There's a lot of quality stuff in this boom.

This.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:30 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Is the design architect B+L?
Firm name was never mentioned; sorry. Edit: I heard Friday night that it's Pappageorge Haymes.

That recess on the south (there's a similar one next to the alley) was done to avoid covering the lot-line windows of the five-unit condo next door. I'm not sure if the alderman pushed for that, or if CMK found it helped their layout of small units. The alderman does take credit for getting this instead of a single tall highrise on the corner, which is what CMK first showed her.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Jun 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:48 PM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Thanks for digging this up!

Is the design architect B+L? Or did CMK go with someone else for this one? I’d thought I’d seen a mention of Papageorge somewhere....
PH is on the building permits.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 12:20 PM
The City

The South Loop is going to creep up on everyone, just watch.

Sure, the West Loop is where all the excitement is. But after some time, with all of the parking lots filling in, the South Loop will suddenly be on peoples’ radar. I wonder if it will ever develop a genuine shopping corridor. Nothing will ever rival the Mag Mile or State St, but even a 1-2 block long boutique shopping strip could be enough to generate trips from outside the neighborhood

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:01 PM

^I think that is what's needed in the south loop. In the last boom there was a lot of residential built in the south loop, but retail didn't really ever follow. There are some good restaurants in the neighborhood, though... hopefully the new crop of high rises get the neighborhood past the tipping point.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:55 PM
THAT Guy

^Wasn't that supposed to be the Roosevelt Collection? It certainly would be nice to see a coherent shopping district with "unique" stores, although I'm not sure where that could happen...maybe South Michigan Ave or Printers Row?

---

First glimpse at the Roszak tower replacing the garage at Randolph and Wabash

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The South Loop is going to creep up on everyone, just watch.

Sure, the West Loop is where all the excitement is. But after some time, with all of the parking lots filling in, the South Loop will suddenly be on peoples’ radar. I wonder if it will ever develop a genuine shopping corridor. Nothing will ever rival the Mag Mile or State St, but even a 1-2 block long boutique shopping strip could be enough to generate trips from outside the neighborhood
This is not going to happen, at least not anytime soon. The South Loop failed to develop the way the West Loop is developing because the built environment is not conducive to the creative industries that make these kinds of districts possible. The West Loop was able to explode like it did because it remained absurdly low priced for a very long time given it's proximity to downtown. This was made possible by the pocket of industrial users that made productive use of the district until demand became so great that it was worth it for them to relocate.

Where in the South Loop is there a big pocket of dirt cheap old warehouses? Almost everything has already been converted to residential and anything that hasn't is in a PMD and can't be converted.

The other problem is that the South Loop is not central to growth patterns in the outlying neighborhoods. Fundamentally this is what really blew the West Loop up. It is surrounded by the Loop to the East, River North to the NE, West Town to the North, Wicker Park and Ukranian Village to the NW, IMD to the SW, Pilsen and Bridgeport to the South, and UIC literally right there. What's amazing about the West Loop is not what is happening to, but that it didn't happen sooner. It's surrounded on all sides by the most gentrifying neighborhoods.

What is much more likely is for areas to the West of the West Loop to continue maturing. There is a TON of industrial stock along the West side and much of it is totally untouched just waiting for the creatives fleeing the West Loop and Pilsen to set up shop. I also believe that a big box retail corridor like North Ave or Roosevelt is destined to happen on the West Side, probably along Western. I believe the IMD gateway retail project will set this off, we will probably use "Western and Ogden" in much the same way as "North and Clyborn". Also, if you think about it, the West side is much more conducive to developing a big retail district like that simply because there is no river creating choke points for cars. For years North Ave bridge was a nighmere and Roosevelt only did well because there's always been a huge viaduct there.

But think about it, with the two pronged pincer movement of growth headed Southwest through Pilsen and Little Village and West/Northwest through Ukranian Village, Humboldt Park, Wicker, Logan, etc., it's only a matter of time before economic conditions are identical along Western and Ogden near 290 to the conditions of Roosevelt and North. At some point the pocket of blight in Garfield Park will collapse and the entire West Side will be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
This is not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.
If Chicago wins the Amazon bid and they were to pick somewhere down there (The 78, Michael Reese, or even OPO) then I could see the South Loop exploding even more. A big IF though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:36 PM
The City

Quote:
This is not going to happen, at least not anytime soon. The South Loop failed to develop the way the West Loop is developing because the built environment is not conducive to the creative industries that make these kinds of districts possible. The West Loop was able to explode like it did because it remained absurdly low priced for a very long time given it's proximity to downtown. This was made possible by the pocket of industrial users that made productive use of the district until demand became so great that it was worth it for them to relocate.

Where in the South Loop is there a big pocket of dirt cheap old warehouses? Almost everything has already been converted to residential and anything that hasn't is in a PMD and can't be converted.

The other problem is that the South Loop is not central to growth patterns in the outlying neighborhoods. Fundamentally this is what really blew the West Loop up. It is surrounded by the Loop to the East, River North to the NE, West Town to the North, Wicker Park and Ukranian Village to the NW, IMD to the SW, Pilsen and Bridgeport to the South, and UIC literally right there. What's amazing about the West Loop is not what is happening to, but that it didn't happen sooner. It's surrounded on all sides by the most gentrifying neighborhoods.

What is much more likely is for areas to the West of the West Loop to continue maturing. There is a TON of industrial stock along the West side and much of it is totally untouched just waiting for the creatives fleeing the West Loop and Pilsen to set up shop. I also believe that a big box retail corridor like North Ave or Roosevelt is destined to happen on the West Side, probably along Western. I believe the IMD gateway retail project will set this off, we will probably use "Western and Ogden" in much the same way as "North and Clyborn". Also, if you think about it, the West side is much more conducive to developing a big retail district like that simply because there is no river creating choke points for cars. For years North Ave bridge was a nighmere and Roosevelt only did well because there's always been a huge viaduct there.

But think about it, with the two pronged pincer movement of growth headed Southwest through Pilsen and Little Village and West/Northwest through Ukranian Village, Humboldt Park, Wicker, Logan, etc., it's only a matter of time before economic conditions are identical along Western and Ogden near 290 to the conditions of Roosevelt and North. At some point the pocket of blight in Garfield Park will collapse and the entire West Side will be redeveloped.
Well, you are definitely undervaluing the South Loop here. It’s not like it’s Antarctica. It’s also adjacent to many of these same hoods, including the Loop itself. Pilsen, Chinatown, and West Loop is right there.

It has an older building stock that has already been converted, plus don’t forget Motor Row and the stuff going on around McCormick Place.

I see no reason why it couldn’t happen

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:37 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
The South Loop failed to develop the way the West Loop is developing because the built environment is not conducive . . . .yada yada yada
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the West Loop's opposition to highrises and embrace of human-scale midrises gave it a character that makes it a pleasant place to live and a profitable place to open a business. More importantly, it discouraged landowners from swinging for the fences on every parcel, from holding out for the kind of money that could only be recovered by demolition for a new $600/sq ft highrise whose owners would recoil in horror at the thought of a restaurant on the ground floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations