HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 1:15 AM
Closed account

Most Dangerous Southern Cities/Metros

I posted a new thread in the US section with the most dangerous US cities and metros according to CQ Press.com 2008 rankings. I would like to see a breakout for the different Southern states.

Go HERE to find the list and make you own list.

Alabama's most dangerous metros:
31. Birmingham-Hoover
38. Mobile
48. Montgomery
50. Tuscaloosa
83. Huntsville

Alabama's most dangerous cities:
8. Birmingham
83. Huntsville.... talk about a shocker!
90. Montgomery
131. Tuscaloosa
156. Mobile

Last edited by | BRAVO |; Nov 29, 2008 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 1:16 AM
Closed account

I was surprised to see the relative closeness in rankings of Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa metro areas...
and flat out shocked to see Huntville proper leap the rest to the #2 spot in the city category.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:25 AM

Unfortunately for my city, New Orleans... the census data is absolutely incorrect and/or unreliable. Confirmation came on election day, but also utility service records point to problems with the "official" census estimates. Demographers estimate 330,000 people are back in New Orleans, compared to 237,000 estimated by the census. Prior to Katrina, estimates ranged from 457,000 to 484,000. Metro estimates stand at 1.3M vs 1.4M pre-K. So, crime stats for New Orleans just aren't reliable, as evidenced by the special note on New Orleans on that website. But the situation here, in my mind, is similar to the situation on the series "The Wire". An area of Baltimore ceded to the criminals... similar to an area of New Orleans known as "Central City". Seriously... 95% of all the violent crime here takes place in that small area. It's almost unbelievable... it is as if anything goes there. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of this city is quite safe. But neglecting these small areas needs to stop.

"There is one spot on the globe, the possessor of which is our natural and habitual enemy. It is New Orleans."
-Thomas Jefferson

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:07 AM

Yup, the election proved the census wrong big time. According to the census there are 194,646 people 18 years or older in the city. In this last election...147,439 people voted in the city of New Orleans. That would mean that 75.7% of all the adult population voted in the city. Not just registered voters, but the entire adult population. That does not seem realistic as on average only about 70% of the U.S. adult population is registered to vote. Turn out in Louisiana was around 70% of that initial 70%. If you take a 70% turnout of registered voters that would give a number of 210,627 for total registered voters in New Orleans. Then...assuming that 210,627 is probably around 70% of the total adult population...you get a number of 300,896 for the adult population of the city. According to the census the adult population makes up 77.5% percent of the city...so the total population would be 388,253. My numbers may be a bit high, but it's safe to say the city has somewhere between 325,000 and 350,000 people. We won't really know the true number until census 2010 rolls around.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:59 PM

Yeah I know the city of Mobile had the lowest crime rate compared to the other cities in Alabama. The press registar lets us know every time there is a slow news day. It has to be prichard and the areas in south Mobile county dragging our metro down. Huntsville was a shock. but then again I'm sure there is some neighborhood (like in every city) that is screwing it up for the rest huntsville.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
Closed account

Montgomery and Mobile must be exceptions to the rule...
I've always assumed the large central city as the hub of most criminal activity in a metro area. I guess I made that assumption from my time in Atlanta and Birmingham.
With that said... it did make me feel better to see Birmingham is in line with Montgomery and Mobile on a metro scale. If only we could get the city under control.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 11:32 PM
Closed account

Rankings for Tennessee:

Metros:
2. Memphis
11. Jackson
69. Nashville-Davidson
105. Chattanooga
124. Knoxville

Cities:
14. Memphis
52. Knoxville
53. Nashville
58. Chattanooga

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
I was surprised to see the relative closeness in rankings of Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa metro areas...
and flat out shocked to see Huntville proper leap the rest to the #2 spot in the city category.
I'm not, there's been a growing problem in Huntsville and Madison, but the cities have been sweeping it under the rug because of it's image it wants or needs to sell. The more you have to face situations, the more arrest is made, and the higher the crime stats go up, so they rather not deal with crap untill it's time to call the meat wagon. I could have told you guys this several years ago. I lived in Madison, and Madison is supposed to be a desired area, but I saw drug dealing, theft, and had a guy get stabbed to death in a driveway just across the road from me. When you call the cops, they get aggravated like you are bothering them.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 2:54 PM

It's all relative. They based New Orleans numbers on a population of 250,000 while the population of the city is actually just under 340,000. Doesn't really matter to me. The only people that get killed in New Orleans are crackheads and all they really do is kill each other, so the only time you ever really know there is a murder in New Orleans is when you turn on the news and hear about another black killing another black---sad, but, it's reality. Lived here my entire life and have never feared. The only thing you do know is there are a few very small parts of the city that you just don't go into--but, I have no business being there anyway as I don't do crack.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 2:57 PM

I remember as recently as 2001 or 2002, Huntsville did not have a single homicide for the entire year, and then two years later, it jumped up to 20-something.

But the city of Huntsville doesn't really rank much higher than Montgomery or Mobile. Birmingham is the real outlier. The Huntsville metro area is still pretty safe though, but there are problems.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 5:18 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Mobile city crime rankings arelow because the Mobile police Juridiction covers over 250,000 residents so if there are 58 murders in Mobile it would rank low because of population jurisdiction. Mobile`s metro rankings being close to B-ham is no shocker becasue the city of Prichard ,Al population 30,000( Mobile county) had 18 murders last year. While Huntsville population 173,000 (2007) had 22.I`m glad to see B-ham is improving though becasue last year they B-ham was at #5 and now it`s 7. New York city was ranked in the 200`s which is a big shocker to me.The same website aslo say`s Louisiana is the nations most dangerous state and alabama was ranked 15th most dangerous state.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 7:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I remember as recently as 2001 or 2002, Huntsville did not have a single homicide for the entire year, and then two years later, it jumped up to 20-something.

But the city of Huntsville doesn't really rank much higher than Montgomery or Mobile. Birmingham is the real outlier. The Huntsville metro area is still pretty safe though, but there are problems.

The City of Huntsville does rank much higher than the city of Mobile and of course Birmingham is the outlier in the city category - it has been for decades.

Regarding the metro areas: Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile do rank closely IMO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 7:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
The same website aslo say`s Louisiana is the nations most dangerous state and alabama was ranked 15th most dangerous state.
It seems as though there are a lot of South Carolina cities as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Mobile city crime rankings arelow because the Mobile police Juridiction covers over 250,000 residents so if there are 58 murders in Mobile it would rank low because of population jurisdiction. Mobile`s metro rankings being close to B-ham is no shocker becasue the city of Prichard ,Al population 30,000( Mobile county) had 18 murders last year. While Huntsville population 173,000 (2007) had 22.I`m glad to see B-ham is improving though becasue last year they B-ham was at #5 and now it`s 7. New York city was ranked in the 200`s which is a big shocker to me.The same website aslo say`s Louisiana is the nations most dangerous state and alabama was ranked 15th most dangerous state.
I agree wit u because I grew up in the bottom which is 1 street over from orange groove projects and it pretty bad down there,every night we had gun shots ringing out and i have seen some bad stuff go on, so i know that mobile is dangerous in certain areas.But when i came up here 2 huntsville its like a totally different world up here.Lately its been taking a dive down hill but still its nothing like were i come from....

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 4:49 AM

They left off Pine Bluff (which some lists rank as #1) and Little Rock is 19. Arkansas still hasn't healed from Reaganomics, Clinton-onomics, and Huckabee's clusterf*&^ of an administration.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 3:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantytown Architect View Post
They left off Pine Bluff (which some lists rank as #1) and Little Rock is 19. Arkansas still hasn't healed from Reaganomics, Clinton-onomics, and Huckabee's clusterf*&^ of an administration.
I broke it down according to my state. Feel free to make your Arkansas list.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:59 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboo74 View Post
I agree wit u because I grew up in the bottom which is 1 street over from orange groove projects and it pretty bad down there,every night we had gun shots ringing out and i have seen some bad stuff go on, so i know that mobile is dangerous in certain areas.But when i came up here 2 huntsville its like a totally different world up here.Lately its been taking a dive down hill but still its nothing like were i come from....

Ohh yeah I know what are talking about i`m from the bottom area to (Hercules street). before I moved to Huntsville for school I was hearing AKAs going off almost every night. Hunstville has gone a little down hill but not what I have experienced as well. Huntsville was ranked higher than Mobile becasue the population that was included in the crime statistic jurisdiction far exceeds Huntsville and Montgomery.

The most dangerous city in Alabama isn`t B-ham it`s realy prichard like I posted in an earlier post. Prichard,AL(Mobile County) had 18 homicides in 2007with a population of 30,000 while Huntsville was slightly above with 22 and a 2007 population of around 173,000.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Ohh yeah I know what are talking about i`m from the bottom area to (Hercules street). before I moved to Huntsville for school I was hearing AKAs going off almost every night. Hunstville has gone a little down hill but not what I have experienced as well. Huntsville was ranked higher than Mobile becasue the population that was included in the crime statistic jurisdiction far exceeds Huntsville and Montgomery.

The most dangerous city in Alabama isn`t B-ham it`s realy prichard like I posted in an earlier post. Prichard,AL(Mobile County) had 18 homicides in 2007with a population of 30,000 while Huntsville was slightly above with 22 and a 2007 population of around 173,000.
But when you consider the percentage increase, Huntsville has them all beat. You also have to consider that the place has a lot of upper middle income to rich white collar neighborhoods, probably a lot more than the other 3 cities for its size, and is supposed to be an ideal place to raise a family. So there is something desperately going wrong with the city, and a lot of it has been swept under the rug for years to protect its clean image, but is starting to overflow and get exposed. I've been saying for years how the town has a phoney image.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 1:34 PM

Quote:

Hercules St. Man i grew up on Maple Street 19yrs learned alot down there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast