HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 6:42 PM

The reason for them moving there is dumb just because Dallas has more international flights i'm not the only one that thinks it dumb either.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 6:43 PM

The reason for them moving there is dumb just because Dallas has more international flights i'm not the only one that thinks it dumb either.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
That's definitely not the only reason. Just one of the reasons.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 8:04 PM
Closed account

Their two primary reasons that they said was lack of direct flights and they wanted to be closer to their suppliers. I think those are BS reasons. Why?

Wal Mart, the largest retailer in the world, is headquartered in the 11th largest city in Arkansas, Bentonville (population 29,000). If wal mart can make do with a municipal airport, ATT could make do with SAT.

Why they really moved is why they moved to SA in the first place. The CEO wanted to.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
That's definitely not the only reason. Just one of the reasons.
Well, there's the reasons they gave to the public, and then there's the real reasons. "Lack of direct flights" and "wanting to be closer to suppliers" falls under the former category, and "wanting to live with the cool kids in Dallas" falls under the latter.

To me, it wasn't much more than an ego and image thing. No doubt you do better at both in one of the most superficial cities in the country.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 1:55 AM
Closed account

Last edited by KeepSanAntonioLame; Sep 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 1:44 PM

Well in March, a good excuse was set-up.
"AT&T says it can't find skilled workers
Posted Mar 27 2008, 03:58 PM by Kim Peterson Rating: Filed under: AT&T, Kim Peterson
AT&T pledged in 2006 to bring back 5,000 customer service jobs to the U.S. from India, eliminating its low-wage foreign call centers. But CEO Randall Stephenson said this week he can't find enough skilled workers to fill the jobs.

"We're having trouble finding the numbers that we need with the skills that are required to do these jobs," Stephenson told a business group in San Antonio. So far, only 1,400 jobs have been successfully brought back here.

Stephenson gave an especially candid speech, deploring the fact that the high school dropout rate is as high as 50% in some cities.

"If I had a business that half the product we turned out was defective or you couldn't put into the marketplace, I would shut that business down," he said. Ouch. He added that his company can do work in Bangalore, India, just as easily as it could in the U.S.

"I know you don't like hearing that, but that's the way it is," he said.

Perhaps Stephenson should consider this: AT&T is only paying a $30,000 annual salary for those jobs. Raise the salary, and you might just find those skilled workers."

I guess he tried to make it sound that we should be thankful for the jobs that are here.

"Being headquartered in Dallas will benefit our long-term growth prospects and human resources needs, and our ability to operate more efficiently, better serve customers and expand the business in the future.”

AT&T will also benefit from the concentration of telecommunications engineers and experts and the cluster of tech firms based in the so-called Telecom Corridor area in Richardson.

AT&T is the most recent big telecom firm to bring its headquarters to the Dallas area."
They said the move was to better their human resource needs; if somebody wanted to work for AT&T that bad, wouldn't they pay a $70 flight from Dallas to SA to interview here? It's not like their asking people to connect twice to get to S.A.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 1:32 PM

Actually my dad owns a telecom company not as big as AT&T of course it's called Westel

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio