HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:43 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
And yes, a public park in at least one of his areas would go a long way to helping. He's done it, on a very small scale with the art on 10th street corner especially if his plan to wait it out.
To be clear, the Midtown Alliance spent the money for the park and public art. Dew-nothing has contributed nothing to the Peachtree & 10th environment other than a few decaying buildings.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

Peachtree Point

What he built at Peachtree Point in no way lives up to his professed ideals. Those two-buildings aren't at all remarkable. Though, I do like the hotel in Charleston.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
He offers no proof or hints at this grand vision of his. He clearly states that instead of contributing to the growth of Midtown, like developing sites that would increase foot traffic, he's just going to sit there and let everyone else do the lifting.

Instead of being the impact, he's waiting for the impact to come and then he hopes to ride the wave.
This has been on Dewberry's website for 15+ years.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:40 PM

100 Northpark

Just a brief update -

The 100 Northpark project seem to have stalled, which I found to be surprising as I thought that area had a good catalyst for office space. Upon digging through some things, there was a lawsuit in January 2016 and a lot of NIMBYism around these projects. I couldn't find any news really newer than January 2016 so I assumed the project was dead.

I reached out to the folks on the 100 Northpark website asking about the status and was surprised to find that one responded immediately (on a Sunday!) He said the project was alive and well, and the City of Sandy Springs has adopted a new development overlay district within the past month and they were moving forward with planning based on these overlay allowances.

This is the first I've heard of it and I haven't seen much discussion here or in the city forum, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? If I recall, 100 Northpark was supposed to be absolutely enormous, and it sounds like the scope might have to scale down a bit to be compliant with the new development district, however I haven't heard anything specific and was wondering if anyone on this forum knew anything.

Last edited by ATLSkyPalaceOwner; Sep 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM. Reason: took out references to 1117 Perimeter Center because I'm not sure that applies

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:42 PM

I don't get the hatred for Dewberry. There are plenty of vacant lots around so he's not holding anything up. Speaking as a resident, Midtown is benefitting far more from new development being spread out than from everything being clustered around Peachtree. It's increasingly a place you can walk around, which wasn't true a until recently. It's seen a lot of progress and has a lot of potential, but I think some folks have an unrealistic idea of where it is today. It's still largely underdeveloped and can't support the kinds of projects Dewberry wants.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
This has been on Dewberry's website for 15+ years.

I'll change my quote to be more accurate.

Quote:
Other than a picture and description that's 15+ years old, he's done little to get Midtown closer to what he wants.

He clearly states that instead of contributing to the growth of Midtown, like developing sites that would increase foot traffic, he's just going to sit there and let everyone else do the lifting.

Instead of being the impact, he's waiting for the impact to come and then he hopes to ride the wave.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:52 PM

If you're looking for someone to be really pissed off at, that new Fuqua development on 17th is apparently going to include a bunch of fast food restaurants, a gas station, and a storage facility:

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2017/09/Bla...ide-Fuqua.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Other than a picture and description that's 15+ years old, he's done little to get Midtown closer to what he wants.

He clearly states that instead of contributing to the growth of Midtown, like developing sites that would increase foot traffic, he's just going to sit there and let everyone else do the lifting.

So I don't put words in your mouth, let me try and summarize what I think you are trying to say: Dewberry has a grand vision for his 10th and Peachtree site, but he should buy and develop other Midtown sites so that he can increase and density and foot traffic so he can justify development of 10th and Peachtree - sooner than later.

My question to you, why can't Dewberry wait until other developers build density in Midtown? Not everything in Midtown needs to happen ASAP. Look at what is happening this development cycle - 20 something story apartment buildings. This is what banks and investors are financing. Do you really want this at the most exclusive site in Midtown????

Not to pick on you Sura, but this is the problem I have with many on this site. The judgements made simply don't come from a place of fact and/or lack basic business acumen.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
To be clear, the Midtown Alliance spent the money for the park and public art. Dew-nothing has contributed nothing to the Peachtree & 10th environment other than a few decaying buildings.
Good to know, so he is just a punk.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:36 PM
BANNED

10 US cities with the worst traffic jams

From the Boston Globe. Atlanta is not even in the Top 10.

http://archive.boston.com/business/g...edcities?pg=11
  1. Los Angles
  2. New York
  3. Chicago
  4. Washington DC
  5. Dallas
  6. San Franisco
  7. Houston
  8. Boston
  9. Philly
  10. Seattle

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good to know, so he is just a punk.
Well that "punk" took a POS ugly brick building on 10th Street and created the new Hyatt hotel. I guess that doesn't count.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
10 US cities with the worst traffic jams

From the Boston Globe. Atlanta is not even in the Top 10.

http://archive.boston.com/business/g...edcities?pg=11
  1. Los Angles
  2. New York
  3. Chicago
  4. Washington DC
  5. Dallas
  6. San Franisco
  7. Houston
  8. Boston
  9. Philly
  10. Seattle
Atlanta traffic is not that bad, it is just that people choose to live too far from work and then complain about traffic when their 40 mile commute takes them an hour and a half.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
So I don't put words in your mouth, let me try and summarize what I think you are trying to say: Dewberry has a grand vision for his 10th and Peachtree site, but he should buy and develop other Midtown sites so that he can increase and density and foot traffic so he can justify development of 10th and Peachtree - sooner than later.

My question to you, why can't Dewberry wait until other developers build density in Midtown? Not everything in Midtown needs to happen ASAP. Look at what is happening this development cycle - 20 something story apartment buildings. This is what banks and investors are financing. Do you really want this at the most exclusive site in Midtown????

Not to pick on you Sura, but this is the problem I have with many on this site. The judgements made simply don't come from a place of fact and/or lack basic business acumen.
I think many are irritated not solely by the 10th an Peachtree site, but the half dozen or so other sites he holds across Midtown and that he has done nothing with.

The simplest thing is, how come he hasn't done anything to the Campanile to make it more ped friendly? That is something he could do without moving dirt on any of his other empty lots and potentially improve the urban fabric and ped experience.

Also, how come he hasn't been able to fill the Campanile building with tenants?

Stubbornness plain and simple.

I can understand not doing something underwhelming and I'll agree, I don't know what has been proposed to him, but there are things he could do to the area to improve Midtown to the vision he wants without even building on an empty lot.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well that "punk" took a POS ugly brick building on 10th Street and created the new Hyatt hotel. I guess that doesn't count.

I thought Noble brought the Hyatt to market in Midtown.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I thought Noble brought the Hyatt to market in Midtown.
No, Dewberry bought the brick building gutted it and developed it. He had plans already drawn up to do the exterior renovation when Noble bought it from him.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:04 AM
Student

If you have a vision for a site and the market doesn't support it, why not wait if you can afford to do so?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:

He has plenty of opportunities to development other than 10th and Peachtree. I hope that lot eventually turns into what he wants. But he can do more to help get midtown to that point. That's all I'm saying.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:24 AM

Anyone smarter than me here that has any idea what the Hurricanes in Florida and Texas will do to development costs around the country? Not sure there was much high-rise damage but you have to think with all the labor and material demands over the next year or two, costs will increase from the current premium.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:
He has plenty of opportunities to development other than 10th and Peachtree. I hope that lot eventually turns into what he wants. But he can do more to help get midtown to that point. That's all I'm saying.
This is my issue, he doesn't have to develop all of them, but please show you have a plan to do something in the foreseeable next decade for at least one of his properties.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:13 AM
Kev K

Quote:
The Hyatt Midtown does look a million times better than the "Hotel Midtown" but this wasn't some visionary project. It was a hotel bought out of foreclosure and overdue for a room refresh / amenity upgrade & some nice new EIFS put up on its exterior.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations