HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 11:56 PM

Did everyone catch the Lafayette townhome proposal from Paul Johnson on BR?:

http://buffalorising.com/story/the_l..._townhouse#sca

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 3:37 PM
seriously

those townhouses look kinda dull for such a wealthy neighborhood. I don't think developer realized the potential there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:19 PM
try being in the Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
those townhouses look kinda dull for such a wealthy neighborhood. I don't think developer realized the potential there.

And that is being complementary

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:12 PM

$569k in a Williamsville office park:

http://robrealestate.hipidx.com/prop...operty_type=2#

$400k on a parkway in Buffalo:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:45 AM

Canal Harbor panel considers site shift for Bass Pro

Would relocate store from Central Wharf

By Sharon Linstedt NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: 08/12/07 8:17 AM

The Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. is willing to move the proposed Bass Pro Outdoor World store off the historic Central Wharf portion of Buffalo’s redeveloped waterfront, a location that had provoked opposition from preservationists.

In a meeting with several elected officials and community leaders in the last two weeks, representatives of the planning panel have offered a revised site plan that shifts the store less than 100 yards, to the southeast corner of the parcel. The move would leave 95 percent of the original wharf site as an open plaza.

More than a half-acre of the latest proposed location lies outside the 12- acre Erie Canal Harbor site, which would place most of the Bass Pro structure outside the historic district.

“I think they’ve listened to the criticism and feedback they’ve gotten and are working to make a good plan even better,” said Andrew J. Rudnick, president of Buffalo Niagara Partnership, who was updated on the project last week.

The panel’s $275 million plan to bring retail, housing, offices and entertainment to the Erie Canal neighborhood has come under intense attack by preservationists and others as incompatible with the historic district. Much of the criticism has involved the location of the sporting goods store, and the change failed to placate one the project’s most outspoken critics.

“This is just pandering,” said Timothy A. Tielman of the Campaign for Greater Buffalo. “As long as that big box store and the rest of the mall they are planning are within the boundaries of the Erie Canal Harbor historic site, it is not acceptable.”

Larry Quinn, the harbor panel’s vice president, who has acted as chief presenter in recent briefings on the revised plan, declined to comment. But a representative of Upstate Empire State Development Corp., the panel’s parent organization, confirmed changes were being made in the waterfront development plan unveiled in late March.

“We are currently in the process of revising our plan to incorporate some of the great feedback we have received from community leaders, community groups and individuals, alike,” Stefanie Zakowicz, agency spokeswoman, said in a written statement.

“We are not prepared to share any of the details of the plan until such time as we have the approval of all the stakeholders in the project,” she continued.

Other sources said the latest revisions in the waterfront plan might be made public this week.

Relocating the Bass Pro store to the southeast corner of the site — bounded by the Buffalo River, lower Main Street and a reopened section of Perry Street — would involve dropping plans to dredge the area to create a marina. Planners now propose installing floating docks to accommodate visiting boaters and on-water displays of Bass Pro boats.

The 100,000-square-foot, three-level store still would be built in the style of an original Central Wharf structure and would offer a public boardwalk along its waterside perimeter as originally proposed.

Additional revisions in the site plan by Ehrenkrantz Eckstut & Kuhn Architects of New York, the project’s designer, include canals cutting across the sites of the idle Memorial Auditorium and Donovan State Office Building. The canals would open up views through the now-filled-in blocks between Washington and Commercial streets.

In addition to the partnership, Quinn and other harbor panel representatives have conducted project update briefings with the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier; Mayor Byron W. Brown; Erie County Executive Joel A. Giambra; Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo; Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, D-Buffalo; and several others.

Rudnick said efforts to reposition the store and other changes demonstrate that the overall Canal Side blueprint is a “work in progress” and will continue to be modified as it undergoes environmental review and the quest for approvals.

“While they are ultimately looking for support, that wasn’t their objective in showing us this latest iteration. I think they are genuine in their request for feedback and additional ideas,” he said.

Tielman, whose group has threatened a lawsuit to stop the project, said he recently met with Jordan Levy, the newly appointed chairman of the harbor panel, but his organization was not offered a firsthand look at the revised plan.

“I’ve heard about it from other people, but they didn’t show it to me,” he said. “I think that says a lot about the process.”

slinstedt@buffnews.com

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:51 AM

Ok, here's what I don't get with this project or ANY Buffalo proposal for that matter!
It appears that the new location will be south of where the red arrow is. seems like the same site to me, so what the hell is the difference? I also don't understand the complaints of the preservationist. So, the plan is to stop construction of anykind, because the land has a history, and leave it a fucked up eyesore add~in~fanitum like the grain silos? BULL~SHIT!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:06 PM

It's all crap, you know that.
Pretty sad when the younger Buffalo population is starting to get sick and tired of all of this, not a good sign

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post

Ok, here's what I don't get with this project or ANY Buffalo proposal for that matter!
It appears that the new location will be south of where the red arrow is. seems like the same site to me, so what the hell is the difference? I also don't understand the complaints of the preservationist. So, the plan is to stop construction of anykind, because the land has a history, and leave it a fucked up eyesore add~in~fanitum like the grain silos? BULL~SHIT!
I think the 'new' site is at the upper right hand corner of your site plan.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:38 PM
try being in the Buff

The new site is directly east, where the marina was planned.

As for Halovet being the younger generation Hahahahah. That means I am not born yet.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:07 PM

Why does Teilman "have" to see the proposal, why does his official stamp of approval mean anything?? If he's so concerned about "the process" then why isn't he on the board, oh wait because if he was he would delay the process even more. What a joke and this is from a "young buffalonian" and I am getting frustrated with these people.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 3:54 PM
welcome to the madness

While Tielman is not on the Planning Board, he does sit on the Preservation Board, which does review proposals as part of the planning process. So like it or not he does have to see the plans, but fortunately he is one of three I believe. Yes it's true that there are too many hands in the pie and that the process is slow, but maybe it's for the best. Conditions can change in an instant, and we want the best possible thing for our waterfront. And hey, the waterfront we have is pretty good around the Erie Basin, it just doesn't get enough press.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
The new site is directly east, where the marina was planned.

As for Halovet being the younger generation Hahahahah. That means I am not born yet.
HaHa.

I was talking about me and others like me (mid 20's)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell83 View Post
It's all crap, you know that.
Pretty sad when the younger Buffalo population is starting to get sick and tired of all of this, not a good sign
Steel's right. I've been listening to this BS for a very long time. I watched my dad paint the Twin Liberty's a top the Liberty Building in 1959 at 5 years old. Gave me a real love for tall buildings. I remember when my Grandfather was up in arms about how the M&T building would disrupt traffic downtown, and that "this town don't need no tall buildings". Don't have to tell you how i felt about that do I? That was 1966. Or the plans for a dome stadium in Lancaster, locals bitched, plans were pulled, and the developer successfully sued the tax payers of Erie County for the full price of the stadium, $60 mil. That's a lot of cash to flush. Also in 1966, and the Bills almost moved to Birmingham. Too much has gone wrong. The HSBC was planned as 3 towers, preservationist bitched again, we were lucky to get the one. Can you imagine if City hall were STILL the tallest? A local preservationist dream for sure.

I love it that the young folks are pissed. try to imagine the same old shit when you turn 53. Just think steel, you're 53, and the signature bridge is still on the books, still the object of study groups. I just can't take it anymore, and I don't even live there anymore. If I were still there, I'd probably have jumped off the liberty building by now.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 8:02 PM
try being in the Buff

preservationists had nothing to do with elimination of the other HSBC towers. That was pure economics.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
preservationists had nothing to do with elimination of the other HSBC towers. That was pure economics.
Sure economics played a part, but those old rail yards were a big issue back then. Of course, they eventually came down. The point is, I have never seen a time when local preservationist did not come out against a proposal. Or, at least, it sure seems that way.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:28 AM
seriously

There has been no protest for the Issa Tower. And most of the protests you hear about other buildings are from small groups that don't represent anyone.

For example the Elmwood hotel and the Gates Circle condos had full support by most groups including preservationists, but a small group of people still protest. You'll see that in any city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
There has been no protest for the Issa Tower. And most of the protests you hear about other buildings are from small groups that don't represent anyone.

For example the Elmwood hotel and the Gates Circle condos had full support by most groups including preservationists, but a small group of people still protest. You'll see that in any city.
Neighborhood groups and preservationists are small potatoes compared to the groups that sue out this way- Sierra Club to name one.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 1:28 PM

BURA seeks development in N. Buffalo
Business First of Buffalo - 6:46 AM EDT Friday, August 17, 2007
by James Fink

A swath of former railroad land that cuts behind a North Buffalo neighborhood may be the site of the largest urban residential development in recent decades.

The Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency has begun accepting bids for a 30-acre parcel of vacant land that runs behind the LaSalle Street Metro Rail station and stretches to Starin Avenue. The property cuts behind Shoshone Park.

Bids are due back by Sept. 28.

City officials are hoping plans for a new residential subdivision will emerge from the bidding process.

At least one suburban developer has approached Buffalo leaders about building a series of single-family homes and townhouses on the parcel.

"Developers are starting to express increased interest in building market-rate housing in Buffalo, with many looking to build entire neighborhoods," said Tim Wanamaker, Buffalo Office of Strategic Planning executive director.

"We are pleased at the growing interest, and we continue to identify sites for market-rate housing developments in the city," Wanamaker said.

Because of the parcel's location, which cuts through North Buffalo, Wanamaker said he expects several interested bidders to step forward.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:52 PM

Didn't this parcel already get bid on and even have renderings done before the neighbors put their typical stamp of do nothing on it?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
Didn't this parcel already get bid on and even have renderings done before the neighbors put their typical stamp of do nothing on it?
Kinda yes. Natale Builders expressed an interest to the NFTA about buying it and putting an infill housing development there (new urbanist influence design, but nothing circulated as far as renderings). After neighbors got their panties in a notch because they preferred "green space," the City and NFTA decided to combine their parcels and see who else might be interested and for what. Natale I believe is still planning on submitting a proposal. I'm working on a map to put up on BRising showing the 11 parcels that are up for grabs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations