HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
A settlement between LAWA and Playa del Rey/Westchester residents was reached last year, the agreement being that LAWA would not move the northernmost runway any farther north in exchange for removing the airport's gate limit. That was more than a fair deal, if you ask me.
Yesssss!!!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Terminal 9 and Terminal 0?? Whoa!! That's hot! I'm wondering since we are getting newer quieter planes if we are able to appease the community and allow unlimited expansion. I know that Boeing Dreamliner is super quiet and smooth
Yeah, that's makes sense! I am pretty sure if they build the T0 or not. it's up to Southwest Airlines or City of Los Angeles. Whether if they build the T0 for international or Domestic flight.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yeah, that's makes sense! I am pretty sure if they build the T0 or not. it's up to Southwest Airlines or City of Los Angeles. Whether if they build the T0 for international or Domestic flight.
The parking lot where T0 would be located has enough space for a full terminal AND a half terminal like T7/T8.

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:38 PM

The existing plan for T0 calls for a concourse only design so it will be an extension of T1. Basically like T8 or MSC. It will not be a full blown terminal with its own landside facilities.

But since no EIR has been completed, it could very well change.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:32 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I don't know what the plans are for "Terminal 0" (it's still a very vaguely defined project at this point), but it must include at least an additional baggage claim facility. The two carousels in Terminal 1 by themselves aren't sufficient enough to handle future expansion by Southwest or whatever other airline(s) would occupy Terminal 0.

And I hope that once MSC (full build-out), Terminal 0, and Terminal 9 come to fruition (probably not until the 2030s at the earliest), there will be enough space freed up to finally allow for a real airport modernization program à la JFK. These cosmetic upgrades can only do so much to improve the passenger experience and won't, nor should they be meant to, hold up over time.

LAX, get your shit together and start getting serious.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The existing plan for T0 calls for a concourse only design so it will be an extension of T1. Basically like T8 or MSC. It will not be a full blown terminal with its own landside facilities.

But since no EIR has been completed, it could very well change.
I think you are getting terminal 0 confused with what has been referred to as Terminal 1.5 which will be Landside only and will bridge the gap between 1 and 2 with ticketing and baggage claim etc. T0 will be both Land and Airside. T1.5 is the last remaining gap between all terminals. Once complete, we will have a continuous ring of buildings all interconnected around the ring road

From cranky flier http://crankyflier.com/2017/01/31/im...h-push-at-lax/

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 8, 2017 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:22 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ But Terminal 0, as it's currently conceived, won't have its own curbside access, check-in facility, security checkpoint, and baggage claim area. I think that was his point.

I didn't know about "1.5," but that sounds interesting! I presume that that space will be reserved for Delta operations more so than Southwest.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ But Terminal 0, as it's currently conceived, won't have its own curbside access, check-in facility, security checkpoint, and baggage claim area. I think that was his point.

I didn't know about "1.5," but that sounds interesting! I presume that that space will be reserved for Delta operations more so than Southwest.
Im curious on where you saw that, I can't seem to verify that info. From what I've researched and the documents I've seen, terminal zero is a full blown terminal. I'd love to know what you've seen. I'm super geeky about this stuff and enjoy new findings. Can you cite a source I can read?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Im curious on where you saw that, I can't seem to verify that info. From what I've researched and the documents I've seen, terminal zero is a full blown terminal. I'd love to know what you've seen. I'm super geeky about this stuff and enjoy new findings. Can you cite a source I can read?
I was simply clarifying what I thought bzcat was trying to say. It sounds like you know more about this plan than I do.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:43 AM

How does this potentially look? Relocating the ticketing/security/drop off to the inside of World Way allows for 15 new gates to be built, solves the shortage of check in space problem, and puts each terminal directly on the APM, which reduces the need for those parking garages it would replace. That, plus a reconfiguration of the northside terminals brings the total number of concourses from 12 to 14, and means that Terminal 9 wouldn't be necessary.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I think you are getting terminal 0 confused with what has been referred to as Terminal 1.5 which will be Landside only and will bridge the gap between 1 and 2 with ticketing and baggage claim etc. T0 will be both Land and Airside. T1.5 is the last remaining gap between all terminals. Once complete, we will have a continuous ring of buildings all interconnected around the ring road

T0 hasn't been fully defined because no EIR has been done on it. But in the LAWA long range plan, T0 was shown as an annex of T1 without land side access, primarily because traffic concerns. Basically, to build T0 will involve removing Vicksurg Ave so land side vehicle traffic would have to be rerouted all on Sepulveda and lower level of World Way. As such, T0 would not have upper roadway access so it could not have a departure area (this was before LAWA gave up on the idea of upper level = departure concept). And adding arrival level access to T0 will cause traffic congestion to spill out to Sepulveda Blvd. So the basic idea is T0 will be a concourse... only gates and air side access. The land side access is via T1. If LAWA wants to make T0 a full blown terminal, it will probably have to pay for city of LA to completely change the existing alignment of Sepulveda Blvd, possibly taking properties on the east side of the road right now (a hotel, a vacant building, two parking lots, and LAX long term parking lot). Or perhaps after APM is operational, traffic will not be an issue and T0 can have land side access right off Sepulveda. Who knows... the point is that no actual EIR study has been done. Only a preliminary assessment when LAWA was updating the LAX long range plan, and that was several years ago before APM and land side access projects got approved.

T1.5 EIR is done and construction will happen soon after Delta finalizes its T2 renovation schedule. It will be a land side + air side facility but no gates. The land side will include new airline counters. The air side will include secured passage between T1 and T2, office space, and airline lounges.

United and LAWA just started discussion on T9, which will be located where Eagle's nest and Delta maintenance is located right now. It will be a concourse only design with land side access from T7/T8 (a bridge of some sort across Sepulveda).

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 10, 2017 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Cranky never got it right because he thought T9 was more of a certainty than a major AA move.

Color T5 entirely blue because under AA's new lease deal AA will build a new head house for T4 and T5 and take over most of the gates in T5. (AA's status in TBIT South has also been formalized and expanded.)

As for the red parts, Delta's deal gave them no rights to TBIT gates. During construction, they will be using the old TBIT gates for overflow. Following that, they can request preferential access under certain conditions.

By the time of the Olympics and provided LAWA follows its own design guidelines, the CTA will once again have some architectural continuity as T1.5, T2.5, T3.5, and T4.5 will have similar facades.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:39 AM

From the LAWA page

Commissioners on Thursday approved a project to modernize Terminals 2 and 3, as well as connect them to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), and also voted in favor of a lease agreement with Southwest Airlines for a new building (Terminal 1.5) that will include a connector between Terminals 1 and 2, as well as space for additional ticket counters, baggage carousels, a bus gate and an additional Security Screening Check Point.

Delta Air Lines plans to invest as much as $1.9 billion in the modernization, which would include upgrading the Terminal 2 concourse, demolition and reconstruction of the Terminal 3 concourse building, demolition of
the southern appendages of the
Terminal 3 satellite (oval shaped
structure at the north end of Terminal 3), and demolition and reconstruction of the passenger and baggage processing facilities (ticketing buildings). According to the environmental impact statement, reconfiguration of the gates as part of the projects could add as many as four gates between the two terminals.

The BOAC also approved two actions related to Southwest Airlines, amending its Terminal Facility Lease and License Agreement for space in Terminal 1 while approving a new lease for the future Terminal 1.5.

Terminal 1.5, estimated to cost $490 million and expected to open in 2020, will also include a vertical circulation core to connect it to the future Automated People Mover, and feature a bus gate that will allow Southwest Airlines to transport passengers to TBIT for international flights.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:13 AM

Still no news for T0 yet? How come?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:27 PM

LAX People Mover to the City of Champions

Now that it looks like the Clippers are joining the Rams and Chargers in Inglewood, I think it might make sense for Ballmer and Kroenke to pay to extend the LAX People Mover further east down Century Blvd.

They could probably win over the Forum by also paying to extend the People Mover north up Prairie to the Crenshaw Line at Florence.

The City of Champions development could be a two-seat ride from hundreds of airports around the world.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Fred View Post
Now that it looks like the Clippers are joining the Rams and Chargers in Inglewood, I think it might make sense for Ballmer and Kroenke to pay to extend the LAX People Mover further east down Century Blvd.

They could probably win over the Forum by also paying to extend the People Mover north up Prairie to the Crenshaw Line at Florence.

The City of Champions development could be a two-seat ride from hundreds of airports around the world.
This makes a lot of sense. Perhaps there would be a way to use LAX parking for the stadiums, which makes this economically very smart, and allows more Inglewood development.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 11:22 PM

But the people mover isn't going to be on Century?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:40 AM

I guess I'm not that familiar with the CONRAC project. Could the APM be extended through there without requiring an expensive redesign/reconstruction?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
I guess I'm not that familiar with the CONRAC project. Could the APM be extended through there without requiring an expensive redesign/reconstruction?
I think so:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 3:30 AM

Spent a LOT of time in LAX the last 3 months. SOOOO many things i would do to change things. The current lipstick on a pig thats happening right now with the renovations of the older terminals are.....ok.... i guess.. But in regards to flow of passengers to the plane and from the plane to the central loop needs.... even though its short and quick. its still kinda... annoying.

So... Ive been to
Seatac. (Seattle)
Miami international
and Atlantas Hartsfield.

Pros and cons with each one but i liked Hartsfield a LOT.

I was stuck catching a cab at LAX and the genuine consensus is.... They are NOT excited about LAX getting any form of rail connection, outright anger when you bring it up, and they loathe the whole rental car/parking facility being built. One older guy said when it ever finishes, he planned on retiring because it "Wasnt fair" HAHA after i argued with him about why it WAS fair and how we needed it. He pretty much threw me out of the cab halfway to my destination HAHA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation