HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:51 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
For one most fans in Vancouver are only interested in seeing a winning team; remember Brian Burke even talked about the possibility of moving the Canucks back in the 90's.
the canucks did pretty well in the 90's. Quinn came in '88 and turned things around. there was a couple division tittles in 92 and 93. A stanly cup appearance in '94. burke did not come in until 97 ? but by then, every game had been selling out.

it was the cdn $ that was hurting the team.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 8:06 PM

i think economically, the NBA is a good thing for the city and for businesses. it makes sense. the economy of the city is better than it was several years ago (back in '95). and plus, i think it has a lot to do with schrewd management of the team, and basketball decisions. stu jackson didn't do any kinds of favor for this team. the NBA also needs to stand up for Vancouver - because it didn't do anything the last time around. but we can hope that things change, or we play hardball as an organization. building a winner takes time. but we need a GM for the NBA team, that has the guts to make a move, when we need to, even if that means moving some of our younger players. on a losing team, everyone's available. with that being said, should Aquilini get the Hornets, we wouldn't be starting from scratch. We'd have Chris Paul, one of the best point guards in the league to grace the hardwood floors of Rogers Arena.

Haven't heard any news, and the Aquilini's haven't responded to any of the calls made their way. They've been pretty silent in all of this. Is that good or bad?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 12:53 AM
Vancouverite

If a hard cap and revenue sharing system in place similar to NHL's the Vancouver team could work.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 1:24 AM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
plus, no Big Country.
Yeah, I figure things went south with the Grizz from that moment on. What was Stu Jackson thinking? Big, dumb white guys do not become stars in the NBA. Of course IIRC we didn't get a crack at the top pick for the first couple of years, which certainly didn't help either.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 5:27 PM
ON3P Skis

Bruce Arthur wants to rain on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Arthur, National Post
The NBA in Vancouver? Don’t count on it

Steve Bosch/Postmedia News

After the way things went for Bryant Reeves and the Grizzlies the first time around, fans probably won't be eager to welcome the NBA back any time soon.

Bruce Arthur February 17, 2011 – 9:02 pm

Stop it. Stop it right now. Don’t get excited, or curious, or get your hopes up. Of course, since this advice is centred around talk — foolish, kernel-of-nothing talk — of the NBA returning to Vancouver, and since Vancouver itself stopped caring about the NBA a long time ago, telling people not to get their hopes up is just redundancy.

The only reason this is a topic at all is that NBA commissioner David Stern, in a podcast conversation with espn.com’s Bill Simmons, started talked about cities that have expressed interest in an NBA team, should one have to be relocated.

“There are no choice of suitors who have contacted us who want to buy the [New Orleans Hornets] and take it somewhere else,” Stern said. “I think maybe or maybe not on my watch, when Seattle has plans for a new building, I think it’s a very prime city for an NBA franchise. We’ve been visited or contacted by three different groups that are putting up a building in Las Vegas.

“And we’ve had visits from Anaheim, we’ve had visits from, believe it or not, Vancouver, where the Canucks are absolutely doing a spectacular job there.”

Ah, yes, Vancouver. Six years of pitiable basketball, a stinking pile of what they called Naismith red, Pacific turquoise, bear bronze and black. There was more Naismith red than black on the balance sheets and on the court, where the Grizzlies went 101-359.

Francesco Aquilini, whose family owns the Canucks, met with Stern in January in New York regarding potential interest in the Hornets, which the NBA currently owns. According to both sides it was a polite get-to-know-you session in which Aquilini expressed potential interest, and was neither discouraged nor overly encouraged. It was good governance, on Stern’s part. You don’t turn away potential suitors. You try not to shut doors.

But this is going nowhere. The Aquilinis own Rogers Arena, and they have two essential ingredients here: a building that is full about 100 nights a year — “and it’s not like we’re missing out on many events,” says Canucks chief operating officer Victor de Bonis — and dreams of a sports empire. Bless them for that.

To his credit, de Bonis emphasizes that this is simply inquiry, and they are simply in the earliest stages of their due diligence. “If we were ever going to do anything like this,” he says, “it would have to make sense. Before you even start thinking about it, you have to figure out if it’s worth thinking about.”

But Vancouver is no more on the NBA agenda than Pittsburgh is. In discussing ready-made and empty arenas, Stern mentioned Kansas City, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh’s a great town, but do you think it can support four major professional sports? Do you think it’s on the NBA agenda? If so, then there’s an NHL franchise in Cleveland I’d like to sell you.

No, Stern was trying to convey — say, to the city council in Sacramento, where an arena battle is ongoing — that other towns are interested the NBA. And Vancouver’s name came up.

I’m not sure exactly how strong Vancouver’s corporate base really is, but according to John Winter, the president and CEO of the B.C. Chamber of Commerce, there are fewer corporate head offices in Vancouver now than there were 10 years ago. He points out that Vancouver is not a consumer-based economy, in terms of big companies; as a Pacific hub, Vancouver is primarily an export-based economy.

“If you’re Teck Cominco, having ads on the rink boards, it doesn’t sell iron ore,” Winter said.

Not only that, but adding a basketball team would take some money from the hockey team, since it’s all fishing in the same pond. Perhaps the Aquilinis could construct enough corporate synergies with the Canucks — shared sales, marketing, broadcast, and game operations staffing, plus bundled luxury suites and season-ticket packages — to reach an acceptable corporate threshold. Of anyone, they would best know the local market for such things. The Canadian dollar isn’t at 65 cents anymore, either.

But even if everything else were addressed, it would require public support. And that’s where it would fail.

“If the fan support isn’t there, it doesn’t matter on the corporate side,” de Bonis says. “Even in hockey — the building being full drives everything.”

I don’t think the fans would come back. Not for a long time. I think that when the Grizzlies left, basketball in Vancouver died. Steve Nash can own fitness clubs, and the diehards are still kicking around, but the damage has been done. My brother used to love the NBA; my father would drive us to Seattle to watch games before the Grizzlies came. We bought Grizzlies tickets. Neither of them watch much basketball anymore.

It is the same with dozens of my Vancouver friends. When Mike Halford and Jason Brough talk about the NBA on their radio show on Team 1040, they often get dead air, or lingering bitterness.

The NBA set Vancouver up to fail, aided and abetted its failure — pushing Stu Jackson to be general manager, failing to educate its players on living in Canada, barring Vancouver and Toronto from a No. 1 overall pick — and after barring Walmart heir-in-law Bill Laurie’s bid to move the team to St. Louis, approved carpetbagger Michael Heisley’s ownership bid. And off to Memphis they went. When the Sonics left Seattle, it was another blow. The NBA poisoned the well. People either remember the betrayal, or they chose to forget the NBA existed.

I’d be thrilled to be wrong on this. A new collective bargaining agreement could create a more feasible cost structure, sure — the league is aiming to reduce player compensation and increase league-wide parity, since a majority of owners feel left out of the Lakers/Celtics/Heat gold rush these days. Maybe that would lower the bar to Vancouver’s re-entry back into the NBA’s foreign orbit.

But two years ago, in another podcast on espn.com, Stern said, “I don’t think we can go back. I think that was a great city, and I think we just didn’t take advantage of the opportunity.”

He was right on all counts. Too bad.

Email: barthur@nationalpost.com | Twitter: @bruce_arthur

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Bruce Arthur wants to rain on your parade.
Newsflash! Vancouverites don't watch as much basketball since the NBA left town! Thanks National Post!

The funny thing is, most of the reasons he suggests a team shouldn't come back are also applicable to Toronto. I'd wager the only reason the Raptors are still there is because they had committed local owners and reasonably competent management (at least a few years ago anyway). The team is kind of a joke there now and attendance is down.

But he hit on the main point which is that a simple inquiry by Aquilini doesn't really mean much except to further rumours (and this thread).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:09 PM

All I know is that there is WAY more recreational basketball being played today than there was in 1990, at least here in Richmond. The difference is like a factor of 10. There are so many outdoor lit courts today all fully used, when there were basically none in 1990, and it's being played in the gyms as well. High school basketball here has grown from approx. 3 to 15 teams, while other high school sports have not. I see the Urban Rec League filling the courts at the Oval every night that I go there, and they have other facilities in Vancouver as well.

You can decide where the credit lies for that - the Grizzlies, or Steve Nash, or immigrants, or something else - but something has changed the attitude about basketball in one generation.

(End of my anecdotal evidence.)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:37 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
there are fewer corporate head offices in Vancouver now than there were 10 years ago. He points out that Vancouver is not a consumer-based economy, in terms of big companies; as a Pacific hub, Vancouver is primarily an export-based economy.
That surprises me.

I agree with Zaassk, basketball is well built now starting at young ages.

If you have a winning franchise of course the building will be packed.

I remember a while back some people said that the NBA might change to the summer, depending if MLB's popularity falls.
I doubt that will happen, but I would like to see, MLS and NHL in the winter, and CFL,NFL, NBA, MLB in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 8:27 PM

Here's an article by Gallagher in the Province today:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ci...319/story.html

I think the Aquilini's have good business sense. I mean, they are where they are for a reason. And with the rising value of the Canucks as a pro franchise, that has a lot to do with the business decision side of things (also the hiring of GM Mike Gillis had to help with that). Should the city get a second chance at the NBA, I can't see why with the Aquilini's as the owners, the franchise/team wouldn't succeed. I think they will. PLUS, it's local ownership. I highly doubt the Aquilini's (local boys, taking in a lot of pride for being from Vancouver) would move or relocate the team to another city. This is home, and I'm finally glad that some billionaire in this town is actually thinking about expanding their sports business empire (CSE).

Haven't heard anything since Stern mentioned that a group from Vancouver has inquired. We assume it's Aquilini, but Stern never says that it is. Maybe it's another group? I don't know. Also, the more I think about it, the more I realize, Stern probably (if it did come down to relocation of the Hornets) does and will give Kansas City, AND Louisville, KY, more of a chance than he does Vancouver. In all likelihood, I think K.C., and Louisville have more of a chance than Vancouver does. They stand, in the pecking order, third place. I cannot see the Hornets landing in places like Vegas (gambling issues - Stern has historically avoided that city because of it), Anaheim (they already have the Lakers and the Clips), Pittsburgh (market may not be big enough with the NFL already in town, and the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin), and Tampa Bay (C'mon...that's a joke). St. Louis remains a possibility - Bill Laurie anyone?

As much as I'd love for the NBA to return, I don't think it will right now. Then again, it doesn't have to just be the Hornets. The Sacramento Kings are having some arena issues. Here in Vancouver, the Aquilini's OWN the arena - they've made some upgrades to their own arena. It's good stuff. And it's ready to go right away.

Here's to hoping the NBA comes to town!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
All I know is that there is WAY more recreational basketball being played today than there was in 1990, at least here in Richmond. The difference is like a factor of 10. There are so many outdoor lit courts today all fully used, when there were basically none in 1990, and it's being played in the gyms as well. High school basketball here has grown from approx. 3 to 15 teams, while other high school sports have not. I see the Urban Rec League filling the courts at the Oval every night that I go there, and they have other facilities in Vancouver as well.

You can decide where the credit lies for that - the Grizzlies, or Steve Nash, or immigrants, or something else - but something has changed the attitude about basketball in one generation.

(End of my anecdotal evidence.)
I agree. I can only say for Richmond, but there is a lot of interest and activity (with bball) with this town. I really think, should the city receive another chance at an NBA team - they need to move their practice facility. I don't know what Jackson was thinking when they had then, GM Place, in downtown Vancouver, only to have the practice facility on the other side of town in Richmond (south end of Richmond, too). They should have a practice facility near Rogers Arena, or even at the arena on game days.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 1:05 AM

NBA Grizzlies, 10 years later: Still in hibernation

Still, there's Vancouver interest in a return to pro basketball, but would it really work?

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun February 21, 2011 Be the first to post a comment

VANCOUVER — Vancouver is unabashedly a hockey town, but those who yearn for a return of the National Basketball Association got something of a glimmer of hope this week from commissioner David Stern.

Interviewed on an ESPN radio podcast, the same man who allowed the Vancouver Grizzlies to skip off to Memphis in 2001 and the Seattle SuperSonics to decamp in Oklahoma City seven years later expressed his regrets that it all came about.

In the strange up and downs of sports politics, Stern restored the step to those who lament that the Grizzlies and Sonics ever left.

“I have regrets about Vancouver and Seattle,” Stern admitted. “I think maybe or maybe not on my watch, when Seattle has plans for a new building, that’s a very prime city for an NBA franchise.

“We’ve had [exploratory] visits from, believe it or not, Vancouver, where the Canucks are absolutely doing a spectacular job there.”

It should be recalled that, 10 years ago this month, the Save the Grizzlies society, a group of business people hoping to keep the NBA alive in Vancouver, sought an audience with the commissioner in hopes of stopping owner Michael Heisley from moving the team to Memphis.

“We were scrambling at the 11th hour,” admits Peter Ufford, one of the spearheads of Save the Grizzlies. “There was an excellent plan put together to create a public entity, RRSP eligible, that might have kept the team here. Given more time, who knows what we could have done had the momentum been maintained?”

But Heisley, a Chicago industrialist who brought the Grizzlies in 2000 from John McCaw, the Seattle-born owner of Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, was intent to make the move happen, no matter what, citing projected losses of $40 million in his single year of operation.

On Friday, Heisley, speaking from Los Angeles where he’s attending the NBA all-star weekend, said the losses were closer to $87 million. That likely includes a $30-million relocation fee levied by the NBA, to Heisley’s surprise, when he moved the team to Memphis.

“Not a lot of that stuff came out in the hoopla [to save the Grizzlies in Vancouver],” he said. “I offered to sell the team there at a 30-per-cent discount to local interests. There were no takers. I did what the economy really forced me to do. It never crossed my mind that such a disparity between the currencies [the Canadian dollar was worth 67 cents US] existed. Seventy per cent of our revenue was going to pay salaries — players, coaches and people.”

Financial struggles

The olive branch that Stern tossed to Seattle and Vancouver earlier this week is in contrast to what he said three years ago, when the commissioner criticized the City of Seattle and the Washington legislature for their handling of funding for a replacement arena. He warned that if the Sonics left Seattle he saw no way the NBA would ever return to the city. They left for Oklahoma City in 2008, to become the Thunder, after a 41-year run by the shores of Puget Sound.

Now, the league’s most notable voice is making nice with municipalities that were once spurned. Perhaps it has something to do with this: An estimated one-third of the NBA’s 30 teams will end up in the red this season, the orphaned New Orleans Hornets are wards of the league, and other tottering franchises could be available for the right price.

One of the losers belongs to Heisley, who fashioned a Forbes 500 business career as a flipper — buying up distressed companies, rehabilitating them and turning them into profit-making ventures. His success in the NBA, however, has been a public and personal failure. A decade after claiming Vancouver was a sinkhole for basketball, the balance sheet continues to bleed in Memphis, although not at the same rate.

“The biggest thing is that we were collecting Canadian dollars and paying out in U.S. dollars,” he reiterated. “There was an [executive] at The Vancouver Sun ... who wouldn’t believe the losses we were taking. He had an interested party [of prospective buyers] bring their accountants in and take a look at the books. They didn’t make a move whatsoever.”

When Heisley bought the Grizzlies for $160 million US, after the league had rejected Walmart heir-in-law Bill Laurie, who intended to move them to St. Louis, the NBA insisted any new owner give it at least five years. But Heisley said there were no guarantees, although Vancouverites didn’t reckon on the expiration date being as short as it was.

“The reality is [Heisley] had every intention of bankrupting the fan base, alienating people, not marketing the team, presenting the argument that basketball didn’t work in Vancouver, which was hogwash,” says Arthur Griffiths. “We were not, by any stretch of imagination, losing millions and millions. We had a better fan base than most NBA teams.”

Griffiths’ comments make Heisley bristle. “If he’s saying that, he’s either stupid or basically, he’s lying,” he says. “I’d be very happy to pay him 10 times what I lost if he can prove it.”

Griffiths, living in London and involved in businesses that revolve around the 2012 Summer Olympics, is unrepentant about his courtship of the NBA, even though it came close to ruining him and marked the beginning of the end of his family’s involvement in sports ownership. As the cost to construct the Canucks/Grizzlies playpen, GM Place, ballooned to $163 million from $100 million, he was forced into a precarious financial juggling act. At $125 million US, the NBA franchise fee in 1995 was set exorbitantly high to test an owner’s resolve.

Griffiths’ commitment to basketball was deep, but his pockets not so much. He was forced to take on McCaw — who was set for life when his family sold its cellular business to AT &T for $11 billion — as a partner. McCaw eventually ended up with total control of Orca Bay, and Griffiths spent his last days with the organization as a high-profile employee.

“More people ask me about the NBA than anything else in my whole life,” Griffiths says. “‘Are they coming back? What do you think of the possibilities of another NBA team?’ Vancouver was given a horribly bad expansion agreement. They were trying to make sure we were not successful quickly. It was so moronic. You spend $125 million and you hope they’d treat you as an equal partner. I think the NBA has to take some responsibility for turning its back on the city. And Heisley misled fans deliberately about moving the team.”

Hamstrung by the league

Star-crossed from inception, the Grizzlies lost 300 games faster than any team in NBA history. They started 2-0, but went 99-359 in their next 458 games, and it seemed like everybody who passed through the organization wanted to be somewhere else.

Stu Jackson, a rookie general manager, was hamstrung by the limitations of the expansion agreement, which kept the Grizz from becoming mediocre too quickly. In 1997, despite finishing with the worst record in the league (14-68), Vancouver drafted fourth, missing a shot at franchise centre Tim Duncan, who went to San Antonio. Jackson picked Antonio Daniels, who never rose above journeyman status in 12 NBA seasons.

When Steve Francis sulked his way through the 1999 draft after being selected No. 2 overall by the Grizzlies, he forced Jackson to trade him two months later to Houston, where he became the league’s rookie of the year. It was just one of the dubious moves that soured the Grizzlies’ operation and never allowed them to fly here.

In Memphis, the Grizzlies have achieved a 50-win season and three entrées into the playoffs, but have zero titles, zero post-season wins and six more losing seasons for a franchise record of 435 wins, 802 losses.

Two years ago, Sports Illustrated ranked Heisley as the third-worst owner in the NBA. “He has refused to allow the Grizzlies to go anywhere near the luxury-tax threshold,” SI said.

Case in point: Pau Gasol. The franchise leader in 12 statistical categories was traded to the Lakers in one of the most one-sided deals in NBA history. It was seen, simply, as a salary dump. Gasol made the Lakers instant contenders in the West, and the Grizzlies got a package of players and draft picks to begin yet another rebuilding job.

“The Grizzlies haven’t been the disaster that some people feared, but they have not been the triumph that Michael Heisley had hoped for,” says Geoff Calkins, sports columnist for the Memphis Commercial Appeal. “The franchise is sort of muddling along. It never really has become part of the community. There were people who thought they’d be leaving in five years. Here, 10 years on, they’re still here. They’re not leaving tomorrow. In a way, that’s a success. But it’s a highly qualified success. They clearly struggle. I think the best thing to happen would be an ownership change or for the Grizzlies to go on the kind of post-season run that would reignite interest.”

The 73-year-old billionaire admits he’s been looking for an NBA exit strategy for years, but he can’t find a buyer at his asking price of more than $300 million. He tried to sell the team in 2006, to a consortium that included former NBA player Christian Laettner, but the group came up short on the cash end.

“For the proper price, I’d prefer to sell the team to Memphis interests,” he says. “Whoever buys the Grizzlies, I hope he does a better job than me. When I bought the team, I was like a lot of businessmen — enamoured with sports. If I’d analyzed the situation in Vancouver the way I analyzed all the other businesses I’ve had, I never would have bought them.”

With cumulative losses in Memphis approaching $100 million, Heisley could very well end up selling at a loss. The Grizzlies are third from the bottom in the NBA in value ($266 million), ahead of only Minnesota ($264 million) and Milwaukee ($258 million), according to Forbes Magazine.

Changes in Vancouver

Clearly, the business climate in Vancouver has changed over the past decade, with the Canadian dollar surging, the economy relatively buoyant compared with the U.S, and the arrival of wealth-creators and an entrepreneurial class in a truly global city.

There are NBA fans in Vancouver who still wear Mike Bibby jerseys, are still convinced the Grizzlies would be here if they’d drafted Vancouver Island product Steve Nash, and wait, like the citizens of imaginary Brigadoon, for the league to appear through the mist on Canada’s West Coast again.

But does Vancouver’s new economic muscle make it strong enough to take on another major sports team?

Noah Croom, the Grizzlies’ former assistant GM, now a player agent based in Vancouver, doesn’t think so.

“The market’s probably too small,” he says. “Other than being a nice place to visit, I don’t know if it adds much to the pot. Anaheim or Seattle. Kansas City has a new building. Las Vegas has been mentioned often. All of them would affect generating more league-wide revenues than a team in Vancouver.”

“I’m not saying basketball wouldn’t go there now,” Heisley adds. “But when the Grizzlies left, they became the saviour of the Canucks. Grizzlies fans became Canucks fans. The hockey operation took off. Now you have a team that’s at the top of the league. Is there enough fan and corporate support for two teams in the same building? I gotta believe you’ll weaken the revenue of the Canucks. Do you want to weaken a hockey team that’s had a pretty good ride and is playing for the championship? That’s just my opinion. And I’ve been wrong about the situation there before.”

Still, last October Rogers Arena was sold out for a rare NBA pre-season game between the Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns, and the belief that Vancouver could grab a second chance at pro basketball on the rebound turned bullish. “I think it’d be a great opportunity to correct a misstep,” said native son Nash, the Suns’ star point guard.

While Vancouver has grown in size and economic clout since the Grizzlies left, so the sports landscape here has been altered dramatically. The PGA Tour event faltered after the title sponsor pulled out. Expansion of the Expo Lands for condo construction turned into an impenetrable roadblock for the continuation of the Molson Indy. The minor league baseball team fled to Sacramento after Nat Bailey Stadium was deemed unsuitable for the AAA level.

But the losses have been offset by gains. A decade ago, the WHL’s Vancouver Giants didn’t exist, the Vancouver Whitecaps’ entry into Major League Soccer was still a speck on the horizon, the B.C. Lions had yet to experience a resurrection in fan interest and corporate sponsorships, the Canucks were in the early stages of becoming a juggernaut, and the golden glow of the 2010 Olympics had yet to ignite an outpouring of pride and patriotism.

Vancouver has been re-branded. And the jingoistic attitude has people believing anything is possible, including the return of the NBA.

It’s no secret that Francesco Aquilini, who owns the Canucks and Rogers Arena, has been kicking at the NBA’s tires, although it’s a quiet, cautious exercise that may lead to something, or nothing. Aquilini is mindful of stretching the cords of affection for the primary tenant and whether another team, panning the same stream for discretionary income and corporate sponsorship, is really a good thing.

“I think the challenge is that the affinity for basketball isn’t as widespread as hockey,” says Victor DeBonis, COO for Canucks Sports and Entertainment group. “First and foremost, our priority is with the hockey team. That is our primary business. We have a very, very solid foundation there, and we never want to lose focus of that.”

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment operates two teams out of the Air Canada Centre in Toronto — the NHL Maple Leafs and the NBA Raptors — in addition to the Toronto FC in MLS, the American Hockey League Toronto Marlies and pay-per-view sports channels. But east is east and west is west, and there are major differences between the Canadian cousins who entered the NBA together in 1995.

“Toronto is a huge market,” Heisley says. “That’s not true of Vancouver. I know fans were upset when the Grizzlies left, but there’s a wealth of activities and diversions — skiing, hunting, fishing, golf — that few major cities in the world have. That’s great. But it’s something to think about if you want to own a sports team there. All I can say to the people who want the NBA back in Vancouver is: Watch what your wish for.”

mbeamish@vancouversun.com

On Twitter: Twitter.com/sixbeamers
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/G...606/story.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:39 AM

Heisley is warning NBA fans in Vancouver to be careful of what we wish for? Gimme a break.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:40 AM

oh. and anyone who is a fan of the NBA, and wants to bring the NBA back. Go and "like" this page on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Vanhornets

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:34 PM

It appears as though the Hornets will be staying put in New Orleans:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/78...rleans-hornets

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:21 AM

For anyone still interested in the NBA and Vancouver's chances of landing a professional basketball team. an article from The Province.com:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04...o-u-s-sources/

And another:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...184116640.html

thoughts on this?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
It appears as though the Hornets will be staying put in New Orleans:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/78...rleans-hornets
wasn't sure that the league wanted the hornets to move. but there are discussions about the kings relocation, and vancouver possibly being considered a destination, and not seattle (strange, no?).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:47 PM

There hasn't been one actual reference from Kings' ownership regarding Vancouver relocation; just speculation by sports journalists. Even in the yahoo article posted above, the reporter admits he hasn't heard any mention of Vancouver from the Maloofs or a first-hand source.

Anaheim is the clear frontrunner, followed by KC and Seattle.

With control of Rogers Arena, Aquilini will have to have some say about a team coming here, whether as an owner, partner, or landlord. Unfortunately he is going through a divorce right now, so the NBA isn't likely on the top of his priority list right now...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
There hasn't been one actual reference from Kings' ownership regarding Vancouver relocation; just speculation by sports journalists. Even in the yahoo article posted above, the reporter admits he hasn't heard any mention of Vancouver from the Maloofs or a first-hand source.

Anaheim is the clear frontrunner, followed by KC and Seattle.

With control of Rogers Arena, Aquilini will have to have some say about a team coming here, whether as an owner, partner, or landlord. Unfortunately he is going through a divorce right now, so the NBA isn't likely on the top of his priority list right now...

KC does not have an owner. Seattle is even behind Vancouver. No Stadium. Anaheim? Sure if you want to piss off Buss.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:05 AM

...or Donald Sterling for that matter

Last edited by EastVanMark; Apr 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
For anyone still interested in the NBA and Vancouver's chances of landing a professional basketball team. an article from The Province.com:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04...o-u-s-sources/

And another:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...184116640.html

thoughts on this?
Vancouver does have one big advantage on top of having a ready arena; they have a very strong brand with the Canucks to help prop up any potential basketball franchise. Only a handful of North American markets can make such boasts and Vancouver is by far the smallest market out of that group.

However, with that all being said, if the current ownership group is not interested about bringing a team here, then its all a moot point anyways.

Last edited by EastVanMark; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation