HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
The Network Coffee house is the problem? What absolute bullshit. I live at 12th/Logan.. so very close. It's not the coffee house. It's the ghetto liquor store on Logan/Colfax that is ground zero for nonsense on Colfax. Throw a healthy dose of McDonalds and you have a hell of a combustible mix.

It sucks. I go out of my way to avoid Colfax from Logan -> Clarkson.
Well I think there are two different issues at play – those that arise from the homeless population in the neighborhood, and those that arise from the gang banger drug dealers. The liquor store on Logan, the 7-11 on pearl, the McDonalds etc. are all very emblematic of the drug dealing issue. The direct spillover from the drugdealing is violence and shootings.
The Network House is more related to the homeless issue. It draws the homeless population deeper into a neighborhood that doesn’t have a lot of services (compared to say, ballpark district) and almost no overnight services. The network house kicks the homeless out at 10 (or whatever time) and they end up running down to Colfax to buy crack, shoot up in peoples yards, poop in the streets, sleep on porches, and generally trash neighborhoods. While I think the overall aim and mission of the network house is good, it is very poorly executed and does little to solve the homelessness problem.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:33 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Well I think there are two different issues at play – those that arise from the homeless population in the neighborhood, and those that arise from the gang banger drug dealers. The liquor store on Logan, the 7-11 on pearl, the McDonalds etc. are all very emblematic of the drug dealing issue. The direct spillover from the drugdealing is violence and shootings.
The Network House is more related to the homeless issue. It draws the homeless population deeper into a neighborhood that doesn’t have a lot of services (compared to say, ballpark district) and almost no overnight services. The network house kicks the homeless out at 10 (or whatever time) and they end up running down to Colfax to buy crack, shoot up in peoples yards, poop in the streets, sleep on porches, and generally trash neighborhoods. While I think the overall aim and mission of the network house is good, it is very poorly executed and does little to solve the homelessness problem.
I'd say that they're closely interlinked. The drug dealers are largely there because of the homeless population in the area, it's an open target market. Denying areas for the drug dealers to operate (such as the old Pearl Street 7-11) and providing transitional and permanent housing solutions for the homeless are complimentary efforts that could readily improve this immediate area.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
I saw this article in the Denver Post about Globeville residents resisting development and gentrification.
You have largely missed the true drama. We need to put our lawyer hats on - well mine's fake but nvm. It's a whole lot about the law-suits. Call it unintended consequences of a well-intended inclusion of a social justice component to the EIS process under Obama. Call it "Ditch the ditch" crowd falls in love with social justice crowd. Any "legal" angle we can find...

It's prolly been at least a couple of years now since a passionate core group of anti-Central 70 do-gooders has been working diligently from a number of different angles. Social Justice is but one of those but you just know they only have the best interests of the neighbors at heart; it's just a coincidence that it fits nicely into their anti-ditch, urban passions. Save the disadvantaged from yet more Urban Blight and Displacement. The gentrification noise is more a sideshow and maybe a tad counter-productive to the true cause.

I believe there are now a total of 4 different pending lawsuits opposing CDOT's Central 70 project. I'm sure our other 'resident lawyer' could provide an earful but professional standards requires we save our powder for the courtroom.

One of the believers who has been out-front with a frequent drumbeat is Streetsblog Denver's David Sachs. Just a couple of examples HERE and HERE.

Dang, no sooner than I had finished my comment and up pops yet another rant on Streetsblog. I assume it's about the same article that you referenced in the Denver Post.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jul 19, 2017 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 8:01 PM

As always: An excellent article on "gentrification".

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...as_people.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
As always: An excellent article on "gentrification".

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...as_people.html
Only took me a NY second to bookmark that piece. Thx

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:32 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

More panoramas!!

DenverInfill took a tour of 1144 Fifteenth! Check out our full write-up.

http://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/07...update-22.html

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:28 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

A look at Levitt Pavilion, Denver’s new one-of-a-kind music venue, ahead of first show

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Know/Denver Post
Though Levitt Pavilion Denver will be the seventh in a series of Levitt Pavilions across the country when it opens in Ruby Hill Park on July 20, it will be the largest of them all, not to mention one of a kind in Denver.

With an adjustable capacity that can accommodate as many as 17,000 people, the $7 million, 63,450-square-foot amphitheater will be the largest outdoor dedicated music venue in Denver proper, with a maximum capacity more than double that of Red Rocks. (Fiddler’s Green Amphitheater, which seats 18,000, is in Greenwood Village.)

. . .

The venue will also bring an unprecedented amount of free concerts to its bill: Thirty of its scheduled 35 shows won’t cost you a dime. That includes Thursday’s grand opening concert with Denver alt-rock band Slim Cessna’s Auto Club, Halden Wofford & the Hi Beams, and Andy Thomas’ Dust Heart.

. . .

As an independently booked venue, Levitt isn’t beholden to any one promoter’s bank of artists, which means it will host artists from a wide range of backgrounds.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:41 PM

^^ Rounding into shape

Anybody here take advantage of Move-in Day?

Prime RiNo location

Photo and article by Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
It's great that the Colorado Station area is getting more residential, but I have a problem with a developer replacing commercial space in a mixed-use zone with a strictly residential development without at least some retail/commercial space. This is true for the development at the SW corner of Colfax and Federal and, to a lesser extant, the one at the corner of Alameda and Cherokee. Removing existing retail/commercial space for just residential space is one way of decreasing walkability. If there is no destinations to walk to…why bother walking?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:51 PM

It looks like a crane is being assembled at 26th & Alcott on the old La Loma site. Initial plans were for 700+ apartments.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keesy9 View Post
It looks like a crane is being assembled at 26th & Alcott on the old La Loma site. Initial plans were for 700+ apartments.
WOW! That was fast. I didn't realize that it had even pulled the permits yet.

It's surprising how quiet its been around here lately...I feel like we are living in Berlin, with activity on every street - but no chatter! Especially on Denverinfill! There could be a post every day for the next 2 months and every project wouldn't be covered.

I don't believe I've seen a post on the new Shake Shack going up on 30th and Larimer. Steel is up, went up in 2 days. The white building will be renovated into O'dell's new brewery (thank god they are saving it), and on the other side of that they are building a 2 level office building with ground floor retail / restaurant space. Pretty cool piece of infill! There is a staggering amount of infill in rino. I also pass by a new build on 29th and Larimer next to the Ink coffee daily. Looks to be 2 - 3 levels, but haven't heard anything about that.

[IMG]IMG_7192 by dfleury1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:57 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Came across this awesome map provided by the city that shows every site development plan approved or under review since 2010. So - for all you development dorks out there (like me) its a quick way to reference new projects throughout the city!

https://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/sitedevelopmentplans

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keesy9 View Post
Potential rendering:

http://www.jirsahedrick.com/portfoli...s/26th-alcott/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Oh, and one more thing. Came across this awesome map provided by the city that shows every site development plan approved or under review since 2010. So - for all you development dorks out there (like me) its a quick way to reference new projects throughout the city!

https://www.denvergov.org/maps/map/sitedevelopmentplans
Nice find. Although I wonder how up-to-date this map is kept up. For example, it still lists the Catalyst project in RiNo as "Under Review" when the steel is already topped off.....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:29 PM

thanks for the update on shake shack. I can't wait to have a double and then grab a beer at Odell. Rino is turning into a pretty nice neighborhood and once they get a few more sidewalks and tear down a few more eyesores, it will be a fun destination to have dinner and drinks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
thanks for the update on shake shack. I can't wait to have a double and then grab a beer at Odell. Rino is turning into a pretty nice neighborhood and once they get a few more sidewalks and tear down a few more eyesores, it will be a fun destination to have dinner and drinks.
I dunno I kinda like it just the way it is. Would hate for it to turn into lodo. The grit and quirkiness is why its cool in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:41 PM

Swinging over here from the Austin thread. Just wanted to say 'hi' as I'll be relocating from Austin to Denver (Stapleton...I travel for work, so proximity to DIA is nice) next summer. First beers on me whenever I get my butt up there. Cheers.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurban View Post
Nice find, I was looking at SAR's website and not finding anything.

I like it, much better than any of the garbage going up in Arapahoe Square at least.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubador View Post
It's already a fun destination for those things. The foot traffic that way is just insane now. People are out and about at just about every hour up and down Larimer basically every day now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Swinging over here from the Austin thread. Just wanted to say 'hi' as I'll be relocating from Austin to Denver (Stapleton...I travel for work, so proximity to DIA is nice) next summer. First beers on me whenever I get my butt up there. Cheers.
Welcome! There's about 6 or 7 of us here that line in Stapleton. I'm down to grab a drink!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West