HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:50 AM
Never Dell

Most households aren't families. And yes, even non-family households can be middle class.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Another crane is coming soon. Looks the like crane base was installed today for Ascent.
Yeah I had noticed they look like they are almost done with their caissons and ready to "go vertical". IMO Ascent is one of the better looking new apartment projects at DUS and will create a nice bookend at the street curve looking north from 16th & Wewatta.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Another crane is coming soon. Looks the like crane base was installed today for Ascent.
SOVA in Uptown also has a crane up. That seemed like it went up fairly recently.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:19 PM
Denver

What is wrong with this forum that you are redirected to random advertisements when looking at the forum on an iPhone?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
What is wrong with this forum that you are redirected to random advertisements when looking at the forum on an iPhone?
I get the same thing. I automatically get redirected to a free iPhone. How lucky am I?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Yeah I had noticed they look like they are almost done with their caissons and ready to "go vertical". IMO Ascent is one of the better looking new apartment projects at DUS and will create a nice bookend at the street curve looking north from 16th & Wewatta.
I know 😩.... My view is about to go away.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 11:41 PM

So it has been like 2 months. Any news on that 100 floor beast we are not supposed to get?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:47 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
I get the same thing. I automatically get redirected to a free iPhone. How lucky am I?
No problem here.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
No problem here.
I get this issue on my Android, but it's random. It probably depends on the advertisement that is randomly selected for display at the bottom of the browser page. There's probably one or two that have been programmed to takeover your entire screen and ruin your life.....

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:18 PM

Can anyone suggest a good real estate listing resource similar to loopnet? I'm looking for some retail space in the greater Denver area, including Boulder.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:14 AM

32nd & Larimer

Anyone seen a rendering of the whole block Camden project at 32nd and Larimer?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Can anyone suggest a good real estate listing resource similar to loopnet? I'm looking for some retail space in the greater Denver area, including Boulder.
What kind of retail? How much sf' do you need? I'm looking to sublet 1500 sq' in Lowry. PM me if interested.. I also know a few realtors that specialize in that market. But they get their cut, of course..

Darn dooby shops have pushed up rates on everyone else..

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:38 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
Demand for more affordable housing will move to where that supply is assuming it's within reasonable distance.
"Within reasonable distance" is a very important and increasingly impossible qualifier. "Drive 'til you qualify" was the strategy of the 20th Century, and it is utterly unsustainable. Cities eventually become too spread out for it to work. At best, you can say it works for a few decades. Denver is on the cusp. It's no longer workable in larger cities than Denver. And even then, the drive-til-you-qualify growth strategy increases pollution, congestion, costs, and environmental destruction.

Quote:
Plenty of examples where developers don't take advantage of the allowable density.
Sure. In places with low demand, far from jobs. If your solution to this problem is "send the growth elsewhere," you are not proposing a solution that will work for very long or for very many people. Certainly it will not result in an equitable city. You are jealously hoarding a limited product at the cost of future generations. Just like climate change deniers. Congrats.

Quote:
You escape by your qualifier but Castle Rock is not the best example.
Qualifier nothing. I listed three things and you made an argument against only one of them. And the one you argued? It's 19 miles from the center of Castle Rock to the center of DTC. Only in the distorted reality of suburbia is that a "hop skip and jump away." That's far. It takes a lot of gas to drive that every day. A lot more gas than it would take all those folks to drive from, say, Wash Park.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larimer View Post
Anyone seen a rendering of the whole block Camden project at 32nd and Larimer?
I haven't, but I can't imagine it's going to be anything crazy stunning since it's apartments.....

On a positive note though, this little sneaker seems to be underway now as the building being renovated is now fenced off and there's a banner indicating construction has begun.

http://crej.com/news/yard-brings-cre...enargo-market/

The "hub" project is definitely well underway now with drilling on site. That Camden project I would assume will begin soon as demo is almost complete.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 6:00 PM

Sounds like Tryba Architects is informing neighborhood groups of a 'redevelopment project' on Sherman street in uptown. Interestingly Tryba was previously involved in making these renderings for developing the El Jebel Tower on Sherman in Uptown. There's several lots along Sherman in Uptown (particularly that large lot at 16th) that would be ripe for development, but this surely sounds like it will be another go at the old trump tower, no?

Last edited by Robert.hampton; Aug 7, 2017 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Sounds like Tryba Architects is informing neighborhood groups of a 'redevelopment project' on Sherman street in uptown. Interestingly Tryba was previously involved in making these renderings for developing the El Jebel Tower on Sherman in Uptown. There's several lots along Sherman in Uptown (particularly that large lot at 16th) that would be ripe for development, but this surely sounds like it will be another go at the old trump tower, no?

According to the buyers website they received approval in 2017 from the US citizenship and immigration service for the foreign capital that is being used for this project. The "roughly 156 million" number on the site seems a bit off though for such a tower. So don't know how realistic this thing really is...

http://www.aiifunds.com/?page_id=774

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
"Within reasonable distance" is a very important and increasingly impossible qualifier. "Drive 'til you qualify" was the strategy of the 20th Century, and it is utterly unsustainable. Cities eventually become too spread out for it to work. .
You're conflating the general topic of sprawl with my more focused point directed to downtown Denver and its nearby neighborhoods.

BTW, I'm officially subscribing to what wong propagated a few years ago which is the now famous and well regarded notion that downtown Denver and its adjacent/close-in neighborhoods are reserved strictly for the Elite Class - but let's define that as roughly the upper 50% of the income level. In fact it's interesting how some of our conservative friends have picked up on this meme for their own purposes.

Not counting subsidized or designated affordable housing, but in order to find/provide more generally affordable housing, there's no reason that can't come from inner-ring suburbs to include, for example, older areas of W/SW Denver, Lakewood, Westminster, Commerce City, Aurora, Englewood etc. While we tend to hyper-focus on downtown there's no reason that these areas can't be considered convenient to downtown, especially with all the light rail lines. This is why Lakewood proposing to limit population growth is so dumb and totally anti-urban and anti-affordability.

Quote:
Sure. In places with low demand, far from jobs.
No, no, I'm speaking about developers who don't take advantage of allowable density in downtown Denver and its adjacent neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
"Drive 'til you qualify" was the strategy of the 20th Century, and it is utterly unsustainable.

Qualifier nothing. It's 19 miles from the center of Castle Rock to the center of DTC. Only in the distorted reality of suburbia is that a "hop skip and jump away." That's far. It takes a lot of gas to drive that every day. A lot more gas than it would take all those folks to drive from, say, Wash Park.
We might have different viewpoints on this but I appreciate that I've got a knowledge edge in this part of town.

For starters, demographers have been saying for decades that the Front Range from Colo-Springs to Fort Collins ie along I-25 would pretty much fill in with population growth and development. So it's hardly any surprise that this is what's occurring. Still, the "Drive 'til you qualify" mentality has not been a yuge factor in Denver for some time.

Thanks to the Denver South EDP, this is what we know: http://denversouthedp.org/the-region/
Quote:
20,000 companies with more than 230,000 employees. Six jurisdictions and more than 20 business parks. 42 million square feet of office space. Home to the country’s 2nd busiest general aviation airport. Home to seven of Colorado’s ten Fortune 500 Companies. This is prime real estate to conduct business...

What areas does Denver South cover? Major parts of the southern I-25 corridor, stretching from I-225 on the north to Lincoln Avenue on the South.
So not quite but close to twice the number of jobs that exist in downtown Denver and I'd venture over the last decade it has and will continue to grow at a comparable pace to downtown.

The residential profile from Hampden Ave south all the way to Castle Pines and from I-25 west to Broadway is mostly low density. Only the area between Arapahoe Rd and Dry Creek Rd has any chance to become an "area of change."

There's not much residential density east of I-25 either to Parker Rd between I-225 and Arapahoe Rd thanks partly to Cherry Creek Reservoir. South of Arapahoe Rd it's mostly commerical between I-25 and about Peoria St.

Sad perhaps but you're not likely to find much "equity" in this part of town any more than you are in downtown Denver. For more affordable options there's nothing at all wrong with Castle Rock. I, for one, could love living there.

It just is and will be that the greater Denver metro area will continue to be a hybrid between urbanism focused near downtown Denver and its multi-nodal pattern of sprawl along I-25 just like those darn demographers predicted... and that's OK. Additionally the East I-70 corridor partly focused around DIA and partly due to growing warehouse/distribution business will likely experience additional sprawl and be less "high" density.

Lastly I see where the Silver Line ridership numbers near Tyson's Corner are a disappointment. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.93f327b34df6

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:15 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
I'm officially subscribing to the notion that downtown Denver and its adjacent/close-in neighborhoods are reserved strictly for the Elite Class... Not counting subsidized or designated affordable housing, but in order to find/provide more generally affordable housing, there's no reason that can't come from inner-ring suburbs

demographers have been saying for decades that the Front Range from Colo-Springs to Fort Collins ie along I-25 would pretty much fill in with population growth and development

For more affordable options there's nothing at all wrong with Castle Rock. I, for one, could love living there.
Well you've got me here. If we're OK with downtown and the inner city being reserved for the elite, with sprawl run rampant, and with middle-class people being forced to live in Castle Rock, then there's nothing wrong with the system we have.

That outcome is not predetermined. It's a result of choices we make. I do not think they are good outcomes, and thus not good choices.

But let's be clear here. The outcomes you're in favor of are not the outcomes the environmental left purports to want. They're denying the connection between their choices and the outcomes, which is why I call their actions synonymous with climate change denialism. You're saying "I know the connection but full speed ahead because I like that outcome." Those are entirely different positions. That's not denialism; that's letting the world burn because you like it hot.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:26 AM

I thought this was a good recap on all the upcoming improvements to Colfax retail.

https://www.denverite.com/heres-clos...-colfax-40366/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West