HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, one good thing about the current team ownership is that it has very deep pockets.

I remain concerned about the health of the entire league. If they want to be taken seriously, and to have stable rosters, they will have to become FIBA sanctioned, and increase the team payroll cap (substantially).

While this would be expensive, if the league improves it's stature, this in turn could help bring in the fans......

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:33 PM

Why exactly is the league not FIBA sanctioned... I seem to recall them being sanctioned by FIBA during the league's first year.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
Why exactly is the league not FIBA sanctioned... I seem to recall them being sanctioned by FIBA during the league's first year.
$$$???

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:02 PM

I think if they can get to the point of being FIBA sanctioned it may make the league a little more enticing to a TV deal. If they could get a national network on board it could do wonders like what TSN has done for the CFL.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 12:49 AM

Another top Magic player has left to go overseas in Doug Herring Jr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Another top Magic player has left to go overseas in Doug Herring Jr
I saw that, and now the magic have lost 2 games. The only way to stop the migration of players is to raise the salary cap significantly, in my opinion. That is pretty hard to do with attendance numbers where they are in the league.

They need some big name partners to come onboard with the league. Whether that is canada basketball, and they use it as a training league for Canadian talent, or a major sponsor like Nike, or Adidas, or something like that to increase league revenues.

Also, if they could develop a guy to get to the G-League, that would help alot in terms of player development and agents pushing players.

Player movement is 90% agent induced. Players just want to play. Agents want to get paid and they get a % of a player's salary.

It isn't hard to see the logic that is happening. The NBL Canada needs to change if they want to be more that a pass-through league for top talent.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:12 PM

THIS article was posted to the CBC PEI, Website If the league wants to grow it needs to avoid future incidents such as this. I have been told this is one of biggest games attendance wise of the year. The concession manager is also had an interesting quote.

The National Basketball League of Canada is apologizing for cancelling the Island Storm's annual Boxing Day game at the Eastlink Centre.

Every year the team has a 2 p.m. game the day after Christmas. But this year fans were left disappointed and confused when that game didn't happen.

Audley Stephenson, deputy commissioner of the NBL, said because of a scheduling error, the Storm's opponent, the Saint John Riptides, believed the game was at 7 p.m.

Stephenson said the error was discovered too late to get the team to Charlottetown on time.

It's regrettable and one that we're extremely sorry about and something that we never want to see happen ever again.
— Audley Stephenson
"It's a grievous error," he said. "The fact that our fans were impacted the way they were on an annual game such as this, it's regrettable and one that we're extremely sorry about and something that we never want to see happen ever again."

Stephenson said the league has gone through the schedule for the rest of the season to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"This is the first time we've experienced anything like this," he said.

NBL Canada
@NBLCanada
Official Statement: Boxing Day Matchup Between The Riptide & Storm Postponedhttp://nblcanada.ca/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20181226vgsi44 …

10:06 PM - Dec 26, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Official Statement: Boxing Day Matchup Between The Riptide & Storm Postponed
Official Statement: Boxing Day Matchup Between The Riptide & Storm Postponed

nblcanada.ca
See NBL Canada's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The league didn't confirm how many tickets were sold for the game or how many people were turned away at the box office on Boxing Day.

Bob Boyle, manager of concessions at the Eastlink Centre, says it will be difficult to make up the sales lost from the Boxing Day game. (Nicole Williams/CBC)
Bob Boyle, the operator of the concession stand at the Eastlink Centre, said they lost about $5,000 in sales because of the cancelled game, which is annually one of the most popular on the Storm calendar.

"Those sales, there will be a makeup game, but it will never be the same as that event," he said.

The league says it's unsure when the game will be rescheduled, but intends to let fans know as soon as possible. The Storm's next home game is Dec. 31 at 6:30 p.m. against the Moncton Magic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bush league...........

And I say this as someone who wants to see the league survive and thrive.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:46 PM

Yeah, things like that certainly don't help. These events should have been locked in as soon as the schedule was settled. There shouldn't have been any real change for confusion.

I hope a league can survive, but with messups like this (and the championships issue a few years back), maybe they would be better off folding and restarting fresh or something.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Bush league...........

And I say this as someone who wants to see the league survive and thrive.
I heard the Ch'town manger called the other GM about an hour before game time, saying "where are you?" and the conversation went downhill from there!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I heard the Ch'town manger called the other GM about an hour before game time, saying "where are you?" and the conversation went downhill from there!
That is horrible. Even minor basketball teams know when their games are. For a pro team to not know is inexcusable. Saint John has already been close to folding as a team before, maybe this will be the last straw.

The league should fine the riptide and the game should be forfeited and the win given to the Storm. I know its also about attendance revenue, but there has to be some consequence to the team that no shows.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenike View Post
That is horrible. Even minor basketball teams know when their games are. For a pro team to not know is inexcusable. Saint John has already been close to folding as a team before, maybe this will be the last straw.

The league should fine the riptide and the game should be forfeited and the win given to the Storm. I know its also about attendance revenue, but there has to be some consequence to the team that no shows.
I also think PEI has to take a minor share of the blame. the Schedule is on the league Website. If I was the Storm (or any team) I would be checking the site to ensure my schedule matches the league website.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:05 AM

Look like the Moncton magic attendance doing better from this 360 degree view

https://www.facebook.com/13579624142...288298?sfns=mo

On there Facebook page it also mentions that they are on pace to break attendance record

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
Look like the Moncton magic attendance doing better from this 360 degree view

https://www.facebook.com/13579624142...288298?sfns=mo

On there Facebook page it also mentions that they are on pace to break attendance record
Worth mentioning today's game had a ton of promotional tickets. Something like 200 tickets just from my office were $5 tickets. I'm not even sure after SMG and City of Moncton fees they'd see more than $1 of that. Their best hope right now with the Wildcats having a terrible 2nd half for the 3rd season in a row that perhaps they can get some frustrated fans to spend their money elsewhere.

Of course not all hockey fans even like basketball.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

What will be interesting to see is if the Wildcats make an early exit in the playoffs (probable), and the Magic has an extended post season run (also likely).

The Magic might get some converts if this were the case.........

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:19 PM

Official attendance: 1964

So basically they would need this type of crowd for every match, but not always at discount price, in order to be get out of the red (the "magic" number was 2000 back at the Coliseum, so Im not sure if it needs to be higher at Avenir).

Hope they make it, I doubt the City will want to lend them another 300k next year...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Official attendance: 1964

So basically they would need this type of crowd for every match, but not always at discount price, in order to be get out of the red (the "magic" number was 2000 back at the Coliseum, so Im not sure if it needs to be higher at Avenir).
If they truly needed 2000 to stay out of the red during the Coliseum days, then this whole league is in big trouble.

I've been checking box scores every now and then this season, usually attendance is in the 900-1200 range in Saint John, Moncton, PEI, Cape Breton, Windsor and Kitchener.

The only places this league seems to work are places with a much larger population (Halifax, London) or cities where the hockey team isn't firmly entrenched in the community (St John's, Sudbury).

I still think this league running parallel to hockey season is suicidal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:46 PM

These are the attendance figures for the SJ Riptide for 10 of the 12 home games played. For some reason or another two games do not have any figure. These are from the NBLC site. Not the best, not the worst, keeping in mind the team is not very good this year.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
If they truly needed 2000 to stay out of the red during the Coliseum days, then this whole league is in big trouble.
The 2000 number was specifically for the Moncton team (I cant find the article, but it was stated when new ownership took over).

Other teams might have different cost of operation depending of the contract they have with the venues, but I bet that around 2000 is probably the numbers every teams is hoping to get.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
These are the attendance figures for the SJ Riptide for 10 of the 12 home games played. For some reason or another two games do not have any figure. These are from the NBLC site. Not the best, not the worst, keeping in mind the team is not very good this year.

The NBL Canada Weekly Report has all of the attendance figures for SJ

Nov 25 - 1598
Nov 28 - 471
Nov 29 - 1018
Dec 27 - 1876
Dec 29 - 1557
Jan 2 - 1204
Jan 3 - 1369
Jan 6 - 1804
Jan 23 - 1186
Jan 24 - 1092
Feb 6 - 1024
Feb 8 - 1587

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces