HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 9:28 PM
Honored Member

My Nieghborhood - Never a Dull Moment - June 29 - July ?, 2012

On the afternoon of June 29, a long, dry, hot spell was briefly interrupted by a sudden drop in temperature, accompanied by high winds and heavy rain. The airport
reported peak gusts of 91 mph. This storm is called a super derecho. It differs from the downbursts we experience in midsummer in that damaging winds affect a
wider area and are sustained for a longer period of time. Downbursts here typically last only a few minutes and affect a narrow, comparatively short swath.

My neighborhood suffered some downed trees and power lines, but areas farther east, extending more than twenty miles into northwest Ohio were hit even harder.
A giant old hackberry tree beside the back of my house, with three main branches, split. Two branches came down; one fell across my back porch, taking down my
power and FIOS (phone and internet) lines, and the other fell along the west side of my house, wiping some shingles and drip edge on the roof gable and breaking
a bedroom window. It could've been much worse.

June 29 - after the storm

The top of the tree did considerable damage to the neighbor's roof, gutters, and downspouts.

Downed power line and destroyed service riser.

June 30 - around the neighborhood

July 2 - Starting to remove tree

Brian, with Jason Pence Tree Service, is one tough guy, muscling around a chain saw and heavy limbs in hundred-degree-plus heat.

Cutting off the downed power line for safety. I&M Electric brought in crews from as far away as Oklahoma; this crew is from Port Huron, Michigan.

July 4 - Electrical repairs

Al and Mary, from Live Wire Electric. I've hired Al before, and he's prompt, reasonable, and good to work with.

July 6 - Continuing recovery

The insurance adjuster arrived - Ross, from Colorado. He did a thorough job.

Jason's guys return to keep working on the tree.

Brian's experience in law enforcement and fire rescue gives him contacts. He knew who could get the major part of the tree trunk off the porch without risking
further collateral damage to the structure.

It takes a deft touch to finesse tons of dense, heavy tree trunk up and over and among obstructions.

Done and gone!

July 7 - Reconnecting

With electrical repairs completed and the tree out of the way, and I&M crew from Pontiac, Michigan, arrives
to reconnect my service. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see someone; I've spent eight days
without air conditioning, including several days with temperatures above 100 degrees, in a house most of
whose windows no longer open.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

that'll buff right out...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
dream fast

Sorry to see that kind of destruction. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, glad no tree feel on your truck like that. Other than trees smashing houses, it looks like you live in a really nice historic hood with cool little houses.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography