HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:11 AM
National Capital Region

up close and personal with eco-cité

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:18 AM
National Capital Region

a few more... these ones are from their website dated june 11
http://www.ecocite.com/onthecanal/Canal_updates.html

The back

View from inside

Balcony gardens, comes with a free shed

Nice views down Bank from the third floor

Standard kitchen with eco-finishes

stairwell

backyard

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 1:51 PM

Reminder that there are risks in pre-construction purchases

Ottawa condo project seized by mortgage company
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 | 9:39 AM ET Comments0Recommend3CBC News
People who bought condominiums in a new development in central Ottawa learned Wednesday that they no longer own the units, as a mortgage lender has taken control of the debt-ridden project.

"They're utterly devastated," said Jonathan Browne, who bought one of the 25 units in the new EcoCité on the Canal building on Bank Street across from Lansdowne Park. The building was nearing completion this summer.

Browne and the other condo owners received an email Tuesday from Christopher Sweetnam-Holmes, principal and founder of EcoCité developments informing them of the bad news. It means the purchase agreements of those who had bought the condos up to five years ago were being cancelled.

Sweetnam-Holmes blamed the credit crisis for the situation. However, he gave assurances that condo owners won't lose any money.

"The lender is eager to work with all these people…to enter into new agreements with them," he said.

Condo owners are expected to be able to buy their units back at current market value.

Browne bought one of the units in 2007. Since then, he has been living in hotels, and said many other condo owners have also been living in temporary accommodations — in some cases, for three to five years.

Browne said he has been told he will get his deposit back, but wondered what will happen to the money he's put into upgrading his condo, which is well into six figures.

"You almost wonder if it's worth purchasing condo in Ontario or Canada," he said. "Even with good legal advice, and being well aware of the acts and the possible repercussions, I still find myself in this position."

The condo owners are now talking to lawyers and were to meet Thursday with representatives from Tarion Warranty Corp., which regulates the new home industry in Canada.

As of this summer, seven of the 25 units in the EcoCité building were not sold. Their prices were listed between $450,000 and $675,000. The building marketed itself as a green development with features such as geothermal heating and "super energy-efficient windows.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 1:48 AM

What a fitting ending to an abortion of a development. If I were the developer and wanted to make as much money as I could off this disaster I would void all the current sales agreements, spend maybe $500 000 on taking all the crap exterior finishings off this building and replacing them with higher quality materials, then put all the units back on the market at $50-100 000 more apiece. The interiors don't look altogether bad, and with the views, location, and buzz surrounding the neighboring lot they could stand to do very well provided they had the financial capital.

All to say I feel VERY bad for the people who were hoping to get a place here. When this project first rolled out I had high hopes for it. Guess you never can tell.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
What a fitting ending to an abortion of a development. If I were the developer and wanted to make as much money as I could off this disaster I would void all the current sales agreements, spend maybe $500 000 on taking all the crap exterior finishings off this building and replacing them with higher quality materials, then put all the units back on the market at $50-100 000 more apiece. The interiors don't look altogether bad, and with the views, location, and buzz surrounding the neighboring lot they could stand to do very well provided they had the financial capital.

All to say I feel VERY bad for the people who were hoping to get a place here. When this project first rolled out I had high hopes for it. Guess you never can tell.
That's exactly what is going to happen, it was pre-ordained about a month ago when they realized that there wasn't enough money to finish this fiasco, the last units weren't selling and no one was going to front the project any more money. Certainly not fair to the people who bought in at the beginning of the project, but the investors had to be appeased and this is the end result. You're quite right, you can never tell when buying new, but you can hedge your bet by going with reputable builders with a track record in your city.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:38 AM

Next step, rental units?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:19 AM
CondoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Next step, rental units?
No, no, original purchasers have first shot at buying their units back, albeit at about $50-$100K more than they would have paid 5 years ago... some of those one bedrooms went for less than $150K, those will easily be jacked up to $230K or more.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:26 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoGirl View Post
No, no, original purchasers have first shot at buying their units back, albeit at about $50-$100K more than they would have paid 5 years ago... some of those one bedrooms went for less than $150K, those will easily be jacked up to $230K or more.
Personally, I can't imagine why a 25-unit condo would be on the market for 5 years (and still not be sold out), but it's not hard to see why they couldn't get the job finished. If they've locked their sales revenues at 2004 prices and are paying 2009 construction prices just to finish the job, least I can say is you're drowning.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
CondoGirl

To sum up the Ottawa Citizen piece:

Quote:
The former purchasers of the condos were told they would receive their deposits back. But it’s not clear about other expenses, such as upgrades and fixtures that have already been purchased.
I unfortunately don't hold out any hope for the refund of upgrades that were purchased during pre-construction sales...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:54 AM
National Capital Region

No help for buyers of failed condo

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/help+bu...333/story.html
Out tens of thousands for trendy, energy-saving units

By Dave Rogers, The Ottawa CitizenOctober 9, 2009 10:29 PM

OTTAWA — Some buyers of the financially troubled EcoCité condominiums in the Glebe will lose tens of thousands of dollars they paid for upgrades because their investments aren’t covered by Ontario consumer protection law.

After waiting five years for the trendy energy-saving units to be completed, the purchasers of the Bank Street condos learned this week that they will have to pay up to $200,000, or 45 to 60 per cent, more than the original selling price if they want to move in.

The mortgage lender, Romspen Investment Corp., has taken over the project from EcoCité Developments under a power-of-sale agreement and is trying to sell the units to recover its investment.

The 18 original buyers will get their deposits back, but most have abandoned their dreams of owning a condo near the Rideau Canal because of additional costs.

Jonathan Browne said he lost more than $40,000, including deposits of $28,000 for cabinets and $3,500 for flooring.

“I purchased a whole ton of fixtures and marble out of my own pocket that they had agreed to install,” Browne said. “I am trying to retrieve stuff from my unit and I am not getting any response from Romspen or EcoCité.

“During the last year I have received almost 30 notices telling me the building was financially healthy and would soon be ready. I was living in a hotel for a year and am now staying with a friend. Most of my stuff is still in storage.”

Browne said condominium law leaves too many loopholes and doesn’t protect buyers adequately. He plans to sue the developer and the mortgage lender in small claims court to recover his losses.

Karin Fuller, one of the partners in Kaleidoscope Kids’ Books, said the store has lost about $75,000 because of legal expenses and four moves.

However, she said Kaleidoscope will move into the building because it has invested so much money in design and fittings.

The store is now in rented space at 1095 Bank St. Fuller said the partners won’t have to pay extra to move into the building, but the new store will be about 300 square feet smaller than the unit they purchased.

“Children’s books is not a lucrative profession,” Fuller said. “We have been open for 31⁄2 years and haven’t paid ourselves yet.

“It has been very challenging for us because you don’t look like a legitimate business if you have to move every six to nine months.”

Beth Maiden, a lawyer representing several buyers, said the developer defaulted on mortgages that had interest rates of up to 18 per cent.

“Unfortunately, the only thing these purchasers can do is to sue the developer, who is insolvent on this project,” Maiden said. “I don’t think Ontario law protects new home buyers in this type of situation. The law should be changed so that people can get back their deposits plus the money they have spent for upgrades.”

Romspen partner Blake Cassidy said the company took over the 26-unit, $15-million building because EcoCité failed to meet mortgage payments.

“We are out of pocket on this entire project because of the default of the developer,” he said. “All of us are victims of a developer who has failed to meet his obligations to the purchasers and financiers of the project.”

Christopher Sweetnam-Holmes, principal and founder of EcoCité Developments, said the real reason for the financial difficulties is that the units can’t be sold for what it cost to complete the building.

He denied that EcoCité had failed to meet its payments. He said Romspen cancelled the contracts with the original purchasers because EcoCité would be unable to recover the construction costs from the sale of the condos due to cost overruns.

Robert Mitchell, a spokesman for Tarion Warranty Corp., the regulator of new home building industry in Ontario, said condo buyers are covered for deposits of up to $20,000, but upgrades aren’t protected.

Stephen Puddister, a spokesman for the Ministry of Consumer Services, said Tarion does not get involved in contracts between condo buyers and vendors that provide upgrades because they are the responsibility of consumers and their lawyers.

Councillor Peter Hume, whose ward includes EcoCité, said there should be more transparency in condominium sales so purchasers understand the risks.

“It is clear that the risks were greater than the developer, mortgage holder and purchasers realized,” Hume said. “Should Ontario consumer protection laws be strengthened to make the risks of buying a condominium clear to purchasers? That is clearly a question for the province to answer.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Ottawa's EcoCité probed by home warranty agency
Last Updated: Monday, October 26, 2009 | 4:40 PM ET
CBC News

An Ottawa condominium development seized by a mortgage lender in August is being investigated after condo buyers alleged the lender and the developer worked together to terminate their purchase agreements.

Tarion Warranty Corp., the group that administers Ontario's Home Warranties Act, is examining the case on a request by three people who bought units in the EcoCité on the Canal development on Bank Street across from Lansdowne Park.

Tarion received a letter earlier in October from Sue Potter, Jim Howse and Jonathan Browne raising concerns about EcoCité Developments and Romspen Investment Corp., the mortgage lender that seized the building.

The letter claimed "that the parties co-operated to deliberately mislead the owners so as to ensure the owners' continued commitment to the project and to deliver interest payments to Romspen."

The buyers have been told they will get refunds of their deposits, which Tarion guarantees up to $20,000.

However, the buyers fear they will lose thousands that they have spent on upgrades to the units, which were nearly complete when they were seized. The mortgage lender has since offered to resell the units to the original buyers, but at a much higher price.

In their letter, the buyers claimed "the timing of the default was planned to ensure that the building was close to 100 per cent complete, extras would be added to the units, and the units could be resold quickly."

Christopher Sweetnam-Holmes, founder and principal of EcoCité Developments, said his company had “every intent” of finishing the project.

“There’s no way that I as a developer would want the lender to take over the project, because it basically guarantees that we lose all the money that we put in, and we lose money on the project,” Sweetnam-Holmes said.

He said he understands that it's a difficult situation for the buyers, and said his company has been trying to co-operate with the lenders to make things "as easy as possible" for the people involved.

"As far as I know, most people have had deposits returned and contracts have been terminated and the lender is remarketing units," he said.
Rare situation

Tarion chief executive Howard Bogach said he is sympathetic to the buyers and is looking into whether there is anything Tarion can do.

"It really is an issue that really troubles me," he said. "The issue that also bothers me is I don't think we have the powers to be able to deal with it."

Bogach said it is rare for a builder to go into insolvency when a building is near completion. When a builder does run into financial trouble, usually the bank or developer wants to see the sales close rather than cancelling the purchase agreements, he added.

The EcoCité building had been marketed as a green development featuring geothermal heating, rooftop gardens, low-flow toilets and sustainably harvested building materials. Buyers who had been told they could move in on Labour Day learned on Aug. 25 that the project had been seized by Romspen. At that time, Sweetnam-Holmes blamed the credit crisis for the situation and assured owners they wouldn't lose any money.

As of the end of August, seven of the 25 units in the EcoCité building remained unsold. Their prices were listed at between $450,000 and $675,000.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:17 PM
National Capital Region

noticed that their website now has a lot of units available for sale

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
noticed that their website now has a lot of units available for sale

It seems like hardly any of the original buyers agreed to pay the new higher prices. I wonder if the holder of the loan was a bit too agressive with their pricing. I wouldn't buy into the building now without a hefty discount based on the continued risk this project presents.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 8:22 PM

I attended an open house here a month ago. The price list showed prices for every unit so I guess none of the original buyers are left.

In the unit I saw, the window in the master bedroom would not open, which doesn't seem very "green" to me.

As of late November, there still don't seem to be any occupants.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It seems like hardly any of the original buyers agreed to pay the new higher prices. I wonder if the holder of the loan was a bit too agressive with their pricing. I wouldn't buy into the building now without a hefty discount based on the continued risk this project presents.
Looks like almost a year later they havent sold anything (still 24 units for sale on MLS) Good to see the bank lose some money from cancelling all the sales agreements.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:39 PM
Mooderator

You'd think they would be a little more forgiving with the original buyers and at least refund the cost of the upgrades too (even though they are not covered). for the amount of money they are jacking the units up that should at least cover the cost of those upgrades, no? or is it all about making as much profit as possible? if that's the case, how much profit are they making on all ZERO of those units sold?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:34 PM

Wow this sure turned into a big fail didn't it?

A few units on the 5th floor 506, 507 will have nice views into the new stadium.

Some of these units seem awfully expensive for there size and also considering many are unfinished.

A wonder at what point they will try and cut there losses and try and convert this to a high-end rental property.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You'd think they would be a little more forgiving with the original buyers and at least refund the cost of the upgrades too (even though they are not covered). for the amount of money they are jacking the units up that should at least cover the cost of those upgrades, no? or is it all about making as much profit as possible? if that's the case, how much profit are they making on all ZERO of those units sold?
Wow, you could think you could at least sell one unit to family member or something .

It's a great reminder story to not buy upgrades before you move in.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 11:34 PM

You could also rent out the condo units individually like hobby speculators do, and sell them off as the market is ready for them. Generally speaking upgrades are always an overpriced ripoff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa