HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post
I got an email from ASU telling me that the Design Annex (the building on the northwest corner of 7th street and College) needs to be cleaned out by December 12th because they are going to start construction on December 13th.
Indeed. It will be mostly demo and prep work. The actual construction is supposed to start early next year.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:40 AM
them bones

^What are they doing with that building? (sorry if I missed it somewhere in here)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I also saw some renderings for Block 12 along College and 7th Street. Looks like an interesting project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
^What are they doing with that building? (sorry if I missed it somewhere in here)
Here you go.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 10:57 PM

Here are some photos of The District going up on Apache. It seems to be coming along quite quickly. I think it will be a nice compliment to the Vue (or 922 place). Both have horrible names.

Gracie's Village is set to be completed by fall 2013. That seems really fast! It'll be great for Apache to have all this new height completed at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Arch Student View Post

Here are some photos of The District going up on Apache. It seems to be coming along quite quickly. I think it will be a nice compliment to the Vue (or 922 place). Both have horrible names.

Gracie's Village is set to be completed by fall 2013. That seems really fast! It'll be great for Apache to have all this new height completed at the same time.
The building across from the district is also set to begin next year. Apache is gaining some great density. I really love the courtyards in the district building. They feel really great. The only downfall is that it wont have any retail space.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:12 AM

According to its website, The District will indeed have retail space - have you heard otherwise?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
According to its website, The District will indeed have retail space - have you heard otherwise?
Unless i am wrong, the retail area facing apache will be for their leasing office. There is also a gym with a yoga studio loft above it, but i think it is only open to its residents. The eastern most corner of the project will have parking. But, i think that it is planned that it will eventualy be replaced by retail. I might be wrong though.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:25 PM
Visionary

Does anyone know, or know how to find out the developer and contractor's of the following projects?

1. 5th Street West
2. Farmer Avenue Lofts
3. 675 South
4. Skye 15

Thank you so much,

p.s. I'm new to the community! My name is Steve. Hello everyone

p.s.s. I had the pleasure of checking out a few listings at Bridgeview and took a picture of the gaping hole where the new Hayden Ferry Lofts will be.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Welcome to the forum. Anyone who uses the term gaping hole is alright by me.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:59 PM
BANNED

gaping hole

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:04 AM

More news on the Hanover apartment

http://azbex.com/hanover-plans-luxur...t-centerpoint/

Original source: Business Real Estate Weekly of Arizona
A 341-unit luxury apartment is planned by The Hanover Co., Houston, Tex., on a 2.8 acre parcel adjoining the Centerpoint West Sixth towers. The 22 and 30 story buildings claim some of the highest rents in the Valley, a fact attracting Hanover to seek zoning approval.
The council has final action scheduled for January 10. If approved, Hanover will buy the property, on the corner of Maple Ave. and Fifth St., Tempe, for nearly $10M ($3.6M/acre) before the end of February and start construction by mid-summer.
Wallace Garcia Wilson Architects, Houston, is designing the six story luxury complex. According to Eric Kenney at The Hanover Co.’s local office, the site is already approved for towers. The Hanover Co. has completely redesigned the community to a lower elevation. An elaborate collection of resident amenities are planned for the structure. The developer will be the general contractor for the project. “We essentially started over from the ground up,” he said.
DMB & Associates, the original developer of Centerpoint, is the seller. Cassidy Turley handled the transaction for the parties. Hanover developed the Lodge at Arrowhead Town Center in 2001 and is known for its posh residential developments.
Read more at BREW

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:35 AM

I noticed Cactus Sports is going to have a new location near Sparky's Old Town Creamery. Red Mango and Cookiez have closed. Surprised it's been awhile since the old Unos location was occupied. Any word on the My Big Fat Greek Restaurant location?

Per Urban Realty: Kitchen, Lounge & Patio coming to 6th & Mill from the folks at former Chronic Cantina. New concept that includes both the old space and a new 2 story on what was formerly Cutie's and loading zone parking space.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 6:30 PM

^^^^ Chronic Tacos is closed? Man, I'm coming home to visit after being gone 10 months and downtown Tempe is seeming like it's going to be a totally new place with all these new projects and changeovers happening.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
I noticed Cactus Sports is going to have a new location near Sparky's Old Town Creamery. Red Mango and Cookiez have closed. Surprised it's been awhile since the old Unos location was occupied. Any word on the My Big Fat Greek Restaurant location?

Per Urban Realty: Kitchen, Lounge & Patio coming to 6th & Mill from the folks at former Chronic Cantina. New concept that includes both the old space and a new 2 story on what was formerly Cutie's and loading zone parking space.
I'm trying to figure out the construction on the Sixth Street cul-de-sac. Is Hippie Gyspy going away, or is the restaurant going to use just the patio where Cutie's was?

I think the former Big Fat Greek location is going to be a second outlet of a place that already exists in Old Town Scottsdale. I can't remember the name right now.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

I think the former Big Fat Greek location is going to be a second outlet of a place that already exists in Old Town Scottsdale. I can't remember the name right now.
El Hefe

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
^^^^ Chronic Tacos is closed? Man, I'm coming home to visit after being gone 10 months and downtown Tempe is seeming like it's going to be a totally new place with all these new projects and changeovers happening.
Yeah going on their third concept now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I'm trying to figure out the construction on the Sixth Street cul-de-sac. Is Hippie Gyspy going away, or is the restaurant going to use just the patio where Cutie's was?

Yeah just going to be a patio where Cutie's was. I'm surprised Munchies Cafe and Slices are okay with this odd project.

I think you're referring to Loco Patron which is still under construction at Tempe Gateway.

Ash Avenue Comics & Books is Moving into Wet Paint's Former Location in Tempe by January 1.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
It's hard to see from the street- how many retail spaces are there in W6, and how many of them are filled?

I still would like to see retail on the south portion of the Hanover lot facing W6. I think that would help draw more people to that area and make use of the small plaza. As it stands now, I can't imagine the retail seeing much foot traffic given the lack of visibility and the fact that it's a deadzone based on the poor design of Ash (leaving it to be a wasteland of lots and garages) and sea f parking lots in the immediate vicinity.

On a much less important note, I'm still holding onto hope that the Hanover project will grow vertically and that the eventual development of Ash and Uni is tall, so that the structures give the W6 pool a bit more privacy. I find the fact that you can see the pool and TV from University and the 202 very awkward.
I live at W6 and yes there is a space for a salon (the salon seems to take up a lot of room actually) there is a sign for milk and honey up too. nothing ground breaking. Im not certain how it is going to be.

again I do not get how a Fresh and Easy downtown tempe and downtown phx would not clean house.

I have a feeling Milk and Honey is going to be like Oakville (high end, unique items) I typically walk to CVS for household items etc

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 3:40 AM

Am I reading correctly that the Hanover project was originally denied because it was too TALL? The article above mentions that they are shortening the elevation. Wtf? This lot is zoned for towers as tall as 300' and we can't even get a 6-story building?

I was hoping that a redesign would include things like ADDING height, additional interaction with the street through walkups/retail/etc., a small plaza to complement W6's.... Never thought it would be sent back and shortened.

Speaking of height - any news on larger projects, like Namwest (northeast portion of Town Lake) or the senior living tower at SouthBank? The former had a zoning sign up recently.

Lastly, I hate that damn Loco Patron. That corner could've really housed a signature place fir downtown given its prime location. Anything would have been better, but even something as simple as a bookstore with a cafe spilling onto a patio would have been great. Sigh.

I miss the days of non-food/bar retail on Mill. The uses now are just so lopsided and serve to keep it as a college town strip, rather than a vibrant ahd diverse downtown. You could never buy groceries, but you could at least get an outfit, furniture/decor for your home and/or catch a movie at Harkins.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexico View Post
again I do not get how a Fresh and Easy downtown tempe and downtown phx would not clean house.
Fresh & Easy is going out of business. That's why.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Am I reading correctly that the Hanover project was originally denied because it was too TALL? The article above mentions that they are shortening the elevation. Wtf? This lot is zoned for towers as tall as 300' and we can't even get a 6-story building?

I was hoping that a redesign would include things like ADDING height, additional interaction with the street through walkups/retail/etc., a small plaza to complement W6's.... Never thought it would be sent back and shortened.

Speaking of height - any news on larger projects, like Namwest (northeast portion of Town Lake) or the senior living tower at SouthBank? The former had a zoning sign up recently.

Lastly, I hate that damn Loco Patron. That corner could've really housed a signature place fir downtown given its prime location. Anything would have been better, but even something as simple as a bookstore with a cafe spilling onto a patio would have been great. Sigh.

I miss the days of non-food/bar retail on Mill. The uses now are just so lopsided and serve to keep it as a college town strip, rather than a vibrant ahd diverse downtown. You could never buy groceries, but you could at least get an outfit, furniture/decor for your home and/or catch a movie at Harkins.
Where did you read that? Can you share? I think that would be a horrible reason to send the project back.

And I completely agree on how narrow the target audience for mill has become. It is sad. I started laughing today when I walked past the new laser tattoo removal place. And Im also not thrilled about the Scottsdalization of it.One or two bars are ok, but now it is getting ridiculous how many replicas there are. It will probably end up biting them in the butt, since it usually is ASU students that go to their bars in Scottsdale, and if they all end up on Mill, one of the branches will end up failing.

Hopefully getting some more permanent residents in the area will help curve Downtown back into a broader range of retail targets. Here is keeping my fingers crossed to see some of those lake side developments begin to break ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest