HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 4:25 PM

Looks like I was HUGELY successful

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Holy crap. I just returned from a semester abroad... The city seems like a whole different place and I've only been away for 5 months!

Anybody notice the new scramble crossings downtown? These have been hugely controversial in other cities... even Portland doesn't have them yet. Toronto has a couple but their mayor is trying to rip them out because of complaints from motorists.
They've had 1 or 2 on Gravier for a couple of years now. I haven't been downtown in a while so I'll have to go check it out, but it's cool that they're playing around with more.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 6:37 PM
-

Hate to sound dense but what exactly is a scramble crossing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_scramble

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 7:17 PM

Where are these scramble crossings?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:29 PM
TL;DR

As Uptowner mentioned, they are on Gravier. It's cool to see the city paying attention to the needs of pedestrians but I really don't understand why they are needed. There isn't anywhere near enough pedestrian traffic. Maybe it's just a pilot program and they'll eventually roll them out at busier spots (Chartres/Esplanade is a good spot).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
As Uptowner mentioned, they are on Gravier. It's cool to see the city paying attention to the needs of pedestrians but I really don't understand why they are needed. There isn't anywhere near enough pedestrian traffic. Maybe it's just a pilot program and they'll eventually roll them out at busier spots (Chartres/Esplanade is a good spot).
In my humble opinion, ones are needed at the intersection of [Canal Street/N Peters/S Peters/Tchoupitoulas], [Canal Street, Bourbon, Carondelet], and the intersection of [Canal Street/Basin/Elk/N Rampart/S Rampart] will need one in the near future, with the addition of the Loyola/Rampart streetcar intersection, newly renovated theaters, and 1031 Canal being built.

The last intersection I mentioned was supposed to have a major redo as the next phase of the Canal Street streetscape improvement project, does anyone know the status of that? There was supposed to be some sort of giant glass canopy. Is any of that still happening?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:05 AM
TL;DR

The glass canopy was just a frill added in the DDD's theatre-district master plan. I don't even know if it was a specific proposal, or just an off-the-cuff idea used for the renderings.

The crossings of Canal are tricky because of the neutral ground, which chops each intersection in two. Scramble crossings really only make sense at intersections where the two streets are roughly equal in width. Along Canal, they could add a pedestrians-only signal phase, but not paint the diagonal lines.

I always thought it would be cool to experiment with different paving materials for urban design effect. Saratoga Square along Napoleon, for example, where you could tie both halves together and calm traffic by switching the pavement of Napoleon to granite pavers for that one block. Or Magazine though Audubon Park.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM. Reason: New

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:47 PM
TL;DR

Is anybody interested in a forum meetup? I was hoping to do it in the next couple weeks, before Mardi Gras starts and every bar in the city is swamped for two months.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:05 PM
-

Quote:
Is anybody interested in a forum meetup? I was hoping to do it in the next couple weeks, before Mardi Gras starts and every bar in the city is swamped for two months.
Sure I could host us at the Foundation Room or we could do Ste Marie on Poydras?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Holy crap. I just returned from a semester abroad... The city seems like a whole different place and I've only been away for 5 months!

Anybody notice the new scramble crossings downtown? These have been hugely controversial in other cities... even Portland doesn't have them yet. Toronto has a couple but their mayor is trying to rip them out because of complaints from motorists.
What's a scramble crossing?

Nevermind... Posted before I got to this page... I believe the scramble crossings in the area of Immaculate Conception have been there since before the storm. I do agree that they're neat though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Sure I could host us at the Foundation Room or we could do Ste Marie on Poydras?
That's the place in that new building right? i just noticed it yesterday, it looks really nice.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Where are they? Aren't they putting in the crosswalks with the timers as well?

Also, in the CityBusiness article above they mention a proposed development with Factors Row building on Carondelet and Poydras. Anyone know its status-or just a pipedream?

I would love a development like the Hearst Building in NYC for that lot and any new development on Poydras. It reminds me of the Whitney Bank Building; modern hugging tradition, etc.

Attempting my first pic, could be interesting...

That's really beautiful, i'd think there would be several places in New Orleans that idea could be utilized... Thinking I read this here, but I know at some point there was a 15-story building being constructed in the block between Place St. Charles and Canal. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? It was being built in the middle of the block so I'd assume it at least kept some facades.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I was gonna suggest Capdeville. Haven't been to Ste Marie yet but it looks to be just as good (for obvious reasons).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:52 PM

Various Items

Ste. Marie and Capedeville are both pretty cool.

As for the Hearst tower I actually had lunch in the cafe with my friend who works fro Hearst. Freaking incredible. Really puts our office building cafeterias to shame in NOLA but beyond the food selection (just about anything and like a 50' salad bar) Besides the food itself the interior atrium was beyond amazing.

I strongly encourage all of you to watch the video:

http://www.hearst.com/real-estate/hearst-tower.php

I like the scramble crossings. Apparently my friend who works for the RPC does not though...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:24 PM
-

Quote:
I was gonna suggest Capdeville. Haven't been to Ste Marie yet but it looks to be just as good (for obvious reasons).
Capdeville is great too and its Ste Maries sister restaurant.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:32 PM

WTC update in Times Pic

does anyone think it would be tricky to tear this thing down due tot eh close proximity of other structures, and high pedestrian traffic areas?

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...developme.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:18 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
does anyone think it would be tricky to tear this thing down due tot eh close proximity of other structures, and high pedestrian traffic areas?

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...developme.html
The reason why I dont think the building will be torn down is because of all the rights of way grandfathered in that would be lost. Not too mention the building will now qualify for historic restoration tax credits.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:44 AM

Speaking of, does anybody know what the latest date set for the Grand Pallas implosion is?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 2:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Speaking of, does anybody know what the latest date set for the Grand Pallas implosion is?
Nope there is a still a lawsuit going on and as far as I know the hotel isnt in the actual footprint of hospital buildings so I dont think its holding up construction either.

Bidclerk Items:

[New project.] 1830956 New Orleans, LA Retail 01/17/2012
Description Tenant improvements for a national chain retail development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the remodeling of an existing 12,630-square-foot building into a national retail store that will include a sales area, storage space, and...Click here for complete Project Details

[New project.] 1826295 New Orleans, LA Retail 01/17/2012
Description Tenant improvements for a national chain retail store in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the build-out of a 14,011-square-foot space for a retail store. The scope of work will include a sales floor, storage space and restrooms. ...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations