Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:18 AM

November 1948

I just saw this on ebay.

"Original Photograph First Congregational Church Los Angeles Street View 1948"

For horizontal version go HERE
__

as an aside:

The oldest continuous Protestant church in Los Angeles, First Congregationl Church, was located at New High (later Spring St), north of Temple St.

W and P
[ca. 1875]

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 20, 2018 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:51 AM

rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
e-r, this is Manhattan. They are "driving" south on Broadway passing Jack Dempsey's bar,
which was between W 49th and W 50th streets at 1619 Broadway.

wikipedia.org
Thanks for answering my question Lorendoc. I really appreciate it.

As a reminder, here's Jack Dempsey's home in Los Angeles. It was located at 2415 S. Western Avenue.

1920s postcard

The boxing champ used this photograph in his autobiography, DEMPSEY

paradise leased

"The Dempsey home had been built by local businessman A.B. Tomlinson at the turn of the Twentieth Century.
The most dramatic feature of the Mission Style house was an elaborate heraldic crest emblazoned in bold bas relief above the entry portal.
Prior to Dempsey’s arrival, the home had a colorful ownership history that included newspaper magnate John Bradbury of the L.A. Herald,
and “Copper King” Colonel W. C. Greene."
paradised leased

Sadly, the home was torn down in 1968. (I hope someone had the sense to save the herald crest) It looks like a real work of art.

Today, a healthcare center sits where Jack Dempsey's home used to be.

looking west / north is at right

gsv

SIDENOTE:
The mansion you see next door is the 1908 Frederick L. Roehrig designed William E. Ramsey (Ramsey-Durfee) Estate at 2425 South Western Avenue.

Anywho, in 1978 St. John of God bought the Ramsay-Durfee property from the Estate of Nellie Durfee for $470,000.

Long story short - the St. John of God website has an aerial that also captures Jack Dempsey's home.

It's over on the right-------->

Here's a closer look (pretty cool, huh )

detail

More googling led me to a couple old postcards.

hippostcard

This must be the beautiful white mansion in the aerial. (if the postcard shows the side view; where the heck is the front?)

detail

Have we discussed this mansion on nla? -perhaps under a different name.

Postcard #2

hippostcard

At first I was confused by this postcard, but now I believe it's the building that I circled in red. [shown below]

detail

So what estate was that one? (GW?)

St. John of God Retirement and Care Center

More Ramsey-Durfee details HERE

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 20, 2018 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for answering my question Lorendoc. I really appreciate it.

As a reminder, here's Jack Dempsey's home in Los Angeles.

1920s postcard

The boxing champion used this photograph in his autobiography, DEMPSEY

paradise leased

"The Dempsey home had been built by local businessman A.B. Tomlinson at the turn of the Twentieth Century.
The most dramatic feature of the Mission Style house was an elaborate heraldic crest emblazoned in bold bas relief above the entry portal.
Prior to Dempsey’s arrival, the home had a colorful ownership history that included newspaper magnate John Bradbury of the L.A. Herald,
and “Copper King” Colonel W. C. Greene."
paradised leased

The home was torn down in 1968. (I hope someone had the sense to save the herald crest) It looks like a real work of art.

Today, the Country Villa East Healthcare Center sits where Jack Dempsey's home used to be.

looking west / north is at right

gsv

The mansion you see next door is the 1908 Frederick L. Roehrig designed William E. Ramsey (Ramsey-Durfee) Estate
at 2425 South Western Avenue. (also known as 'Villa Maria')

Many more Ramsey-Durfee details HERE

ANYWHO...

In 1978, St. John of God bought the Ramsay-Durfee property from the Estate of Nellie Durfee for $470,000.

Their website has an aerial that also captures the Jack Dempsy's home.

It's over on the right-------->

here's a closer look

detail

hippostcard

This must be the beautiful white mansion in the aerial. (if the postcard shows the side view; where the heck is the front?)

detail

Postcard #2

hippostcard

At first I was confused by this postcard, but now I believe it's the building I've circled below.

detail

So what estate was that one? (GW?)

__
St. John of God Retirement and Care Center
My first two years of undergrad at UCLA I lived in the dorm and they had buses that would take us to the UCLA games at the Mausoleum(they didn't start playing at the Rose Bowl until the year after I graduated). They would take Western to get back to the 10 to avoid(at least some) traffic. By the time we'd get to the freeway it was usually after dark and I remember seeing those walls and the foliage and everything was dark, very creepy.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
The same ebay seller also has this business card.

1910s?

EBAY

for search purposes

Telephone 619 _______

The Rockingham
Chas. E. Banard, Prop.
S. E. Corner Commercial
and Los Angeles
Los Angeles, Cal.

Is anyone familar with The Rockingham? (I wasn't able to locate any past posts)

_
We were probably under the assumption that this was a hotel. From some research into the proprietor, Charles E. Barnard, I find that he was actually a purveyor of wines and liquors. He appears in the Los Angeles directories in 1896 at 234 N. Los Angeles St. selling wines and liquors. He also is listed as the owner of another establishment called "The Eclipse" located at 122 W. Third. He also appears in a voter registration in 1896 as a liquor merchant. A voter registration from 1892, lists him as a saloon keeper.

Charles Everett Barnard was born in Maine in 1857. In the above voter registration, he is described as being 5' 9" with a fair complexion, blue eyes and dark hair. He is listed in the censuses as a bookkeeper, but in directories as a liquor dealer. His residence, as found in the census, was 301 E. 4th Street, Los Angeles

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

rebloggy

The daring duo were filmed in a Hollywood studio with a rear-projection of a Manhattan street film in the background. The Batmobile is actually not moving.
I'm sorry, but the rear-projection is of Gotham City.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:31 PM

Mount Saint Mary's College

Located at 12001 Chalon Rd, Los Angeles, the college changed it's designation to University in 2015. It also has a downtown campus, the Doheny Campus, in Chester Place.

In 1928, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet purchased 36 acres of land along the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains from the Rodeo Land and Water Company for $162,000. In 1947, an additional 20 acres was acquired to complete what is today the university's Chalon campus. The campus contains a blend of architecture familiar to Los Angeles, largely in the tradition of the Spanish Colonial Revival and Mission Revival styles. The unique location of the Brentwood campus, on a 1,100-foot ridge, provides an overlook to both the Getty Center and 40 miles of the Pacific Ocean. Wikipedia

Images from a scanned 1949 yearbook The Mount.

https://archive.org/stream/mount1949...ge/n0/mode/2up

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
I just saw this on ebay.

"Original Photograph First Congregational Church Los Angeles Street View 1948"

For horizontal version go HERE

Yes, it doesn't feature the church as prominently, but as a period photograph I like the horizontal version better.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:

Long story short - the St. John of God website has an aerial that also captures Jack Dempsey's home.

hippostcard

detail

Postcard #2

hippostcard

Thanks for showing us the Dempsey house, e_r. Here's the 1921 Sanborn Map that covers much of what's in the aerial view.
At lower right is Dempsey's 2415. In the middle, 2425's property extends all the way west to St. Andrews Place (not shown).
At lower left, the home on the NW corner of Adams and Western is shown here as 2465 S. Western, but it apparently was also
numbered 2443 and 2445. To the west is 2025 W. Adams, from your Postcard #2:

ProQuest via LAPL

In this early view the home on the NW corner of Adams and Western, from your first postcard, is numbered 2443 S. Western.
I believe we are looking SW:

Catalog Number SCWHR-P-005-N0232 at Seaver Center

Here is a later view where the building is described as the "Mount St. John of God Sanitarium etc., 2445 South Western Ave.":

Islandora/UCLA

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Dec 19, 2018 at 8:01 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:18 AM

Oh man, thanks so much FW. The Sanborn map helps a lot.

A somewhat humorous ad from the 1960s.

annualmobiles / school yearbook ads

Note the beautiful architectural detail above the front entrance of the showroom.

Here's a look at the entry before it was painted monochromatic.

originally posted by BiffRayRock / calisphere

If you look closely at top photograph, I believe you can see the work bays in the distance (beneath the Sopp neon sign)

Oh what the heck. I'll just show you.

detail

Here's a closer look at the bays, circa 1930.

LAPL

I just checked the intersection of Pacific & Slauson and there was no trace of the Sopp dealership.

For search purposes: Sopp Chevrolet, Pacific and Slauson, LU 8-1191

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 23, 2018 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Yep, here are a couple of snaps of my mother's with the same border. There are others, too, and they all have '1937' or '1938' written on them.

PS: Has anyone ever heard of a "SOUTHERN MANOR" in L.A. from that time period? Was it an apartment building maybe? A restaurant?
Scott, I remember the wonderful photograph of your Mom in front of the Barker Hotel,
but I don't recall the 'Southern Manor' photograph. Is this the first time you posted it?

By the way, I searched for the Southern Manor without success.

sidenote:
I wonder what happened to the bird?

__

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:49 AM

Calle de los Negros

Forgive me if this is a stupid question - I searched this thread and read five pages of search results for “negro”, and one page of search results for, um… “n-word”… and I didn’t find an answer.

I understand that the tallest pole, almost dead-center in the photo, is some kind of early lighting fixture…

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../id/3704/rec/1

…but I couldn’t find any answer to what these two, shorter poles are:

Obviously, they look like telephone poles, but if there are any wires running between them I can’t make them out. Additionally, one has five crossbeams, while the other has only four, which seems odd.

The Huntington says that the photo was taken in 1882.

This website says:

Quote:
1882 - The Los Angeles Telephone Company receives permission to erect telephone poles in the city, bringing telephone service to Los Angeles. Service begins with seven subscribers and three operators.
Assuming that the photo is correctly dated, are these the first telephone poles in Los Angeles? And if not, what the devil are they?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Grandma Elva with my father, Doug, and his younger brother, Jack - what a pair of towheads!

[B]I think the sign in the background says “Crescent Bay Yacht Club”.
Another great photograph SCharles!

I came across a 1920s Santa Monica snapshot of a young man (lifeguard perhaps) on the beach with C C on his beach attire.
I wonder if that might have stood for Crescent Bay Yacht Club (you couldn't very well fit the whole name on a lifeguard swimsuit)

The problem is...I found the pic while I was visiting my Mom and it's on my laptop I keep at her house.
__

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
We were probably under the assumption that this was a hotel.
From some research into the proprietor, Charles E. Barnard, I find that he was actually a purveyor of wines and liquors.
You're right, I did think The Rockingham was a hotel. Thanks for clearing that up oldstuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
He also is listed as the owner of another establishment called "The Eclipse" located at 122 W. Third.
I located Barnard's 'Eclipse' in the 1896 directory. It was a wine/liquor store as well.
(I wanted it to be a saloon...something slightly wicked and mysterious)

lapl

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:42 AM

'mystery' street corner.

EBAY

"ORIGINAL SLIDE 1980's SANTA MONICA POLICEMAN 563A"

__

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Another great photograph SCharles!

I came across a 1920s Santa Monica snapshot of a young man (lifeguard perhaps) on the beach with C C on his beach attire.
I wonder if that might have stood for Crescent Bay Yacht Club (you couldn't very well fit the whole name on a lifeguard swimsuit)

The problem is...I found the pic while I was visiting my Mom and it's on my laptop I keep at her house.
__
Thanks, ER - I’m really glad you like the photo!

I’m no expert sleuth like the rest of you folks here, but after I posted that photo the other day, I decided to try my best to find out ANYTHING about the Crescent Bay Yacht Club (I mean, Google literally has NOTHING on it).

Eventually, I discovered the Santa Monica Image Archive, a website with a photo interface identical to the Huntington site.

Sadly, there weren’t any photo matches, but there were a number of newspaper pages. According to the articles I found, the club opened on January 31st, 1925. They opened at a “temporary clubhouse” location just below the so-called “99 steps” at the juncture of Arizona Ave and Ocean Front Walk, with the permanent location ending up a block north at the juncture of Wilshire Blvd and Ocean Front Walk (as noted previously by HossC).

_LINK

I’ll go to Mount Lowe for $2.50!

I also found that the Crescent Bay Yacht Club was just south of the Gables Beach Club:

_LINK

Why is is so easy to find pictures of the Gables Beach Club, but perfectly impossible to find even a single photo of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club???

Speaking of young men in beach attire, look what I found here, ER:

_LINK

I want that shirt!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:07 AM

Quote:

'mystery' street corner.

EBAY

"ORIGINAL SLIDE 1980's SANTA MONICA POLICEMAN 563A"
The Wind & Sea cocktail bar was on the corner of Broadway and Ocean Avenue. The building has had a remodel in the intervening years.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:39 PM

By the way, the restaurant name in that photo,"Ma'kai" is Hawaiian and means toward the sea, or by (next to) the sea.
The opposite is "mauka" meaning inland or toward the mountains. Both are usually used in giving directions. FYI.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:17 PM

So I live in Westchester and love the place for all it's abandoned neighborhoods (thanks LAX) and architectural remnants. For instance, last week I was at Kohl's

and noticed the entryway

What we have here is a remnant of the original building that was really cool. Here's a Julius Shulman shot of the place:

You'll notice the really cool ramps that used to lead to the rooftop parking.

Well, sometime in the 80's or 90's, they abandoned the rooftop parking, tore off the outer ramp and put on the ugly glass entry that's there now. And here's the side today:

And the front, sometime between when it was Mervyn's and Kohl's

Last edited by KevinW; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:46 PM

Back in 2015, I posted Julius Shulman photos of that store when it was Milliron's. You can see them here.

Here's one of the interior images:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
...and noticed the entryway

What we have here is a remnant of the original building.
Good eye KevinW!
It's really too bad this particular building wasn't kept in pristine condition.

I also revisited HossC's excellent Schulman post on Milliron's

Hoss included this photograph of the Terrace Restaurant which looked out on the roof-top parking lot.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a 2nd, more expansive, view of the Terrace Restaurant.

juliusschulman.org

The lighting situation on the right is pretty impressive [and remember, this is 1949!]

In 1947, at the time that J. W. Milliron commissioned the architectural firm of Guren and Krummeck to design his first branch of Milliron’s department Store,
he noted that “Treatment of this suburban location should be one of complete Suburnanity”. Located at 8379 South Sepulveda Blvd. in the city of Westchester,
the design was considered a “Modernist Work of Art”.

hmmm...I don't believe I've ever heard the word "Suburnanity" before.

update:

If you google "Suburnanity", a bunch more Schulman photographs show up. Perhaps there are some we haven't seen on nla.

like this one

juliusschulman.org

Look at the 1940s print on the curtains....so cool! ( they're stylized leaves....odinthor?)

Hoss, do you know if Mr. Schulman took any color photographs of Milliron's Terrace Restaurant? I'd love to know the color motif.
Whoa, I just noticed those striped chairs. I'm guessing the motif was Green and a Cream color

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 22, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos