HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

^ Is that the middle of their target community? I doubt it. I think their first choice was closer to the middle of their target community, which presumably includes at least West Siders too. Plus, they claim it is a regional draw, and transit access is critical for that to succeed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 1:36 AM

Grant Park Advisory Council and Grant Park Conservancy public meeting

Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:30 p.m.

Daley Bicentennial Plaza - 337 E. Randolph just east of Columbus Drive.

Daley Bicentennial Plaza new park construction and the rebuilding of the East Monroe Street Garage.

We want to hear your ideas and suggestions about what you would like to see created in the new park and get input about garage construction.

In a 99-year concession sale and lease, Morgan Stanley and Laz Parking ( garage operators) have leased four Grant Park garages for $563 million. This is the first such undertaking of a public parking system in the country. One of the garages, the East Monroe Garage, at Daley Bicentennial Plaza, has to be rebuilt in the very near future. Unfortunately, as can be determined so far, the entire park on top of it has to be removed. This means that the greenspace directly east of Millennium Park, from Randolph to Monroe and from the Cancer Survivor's Garden to Columbus Drive has to be removed to rebuild the garage underneath. Should this be done in phases or all at once? We are still trying to determine if any of the many large, beautiful honey locust trees, at the very east and west ends of the property, can be saved.

The positive aspect of rebuilding the underground garage is that it also affords an incredible opportunity to create a whole new, interesting, and world-class park space on the other side of the BP Bridge from Millennium Park. The timing of this opportunity is great in that so many international projects are coming to fruition in and around Grant Park and being financed through public/private partnerships during one of Chicago's greatest renaissances.

The $563 million Grant Park garage concession sale and lease was broken down as follows:

$122 million will go toward Chicago Park District park improvements in many neighborhoods throughout the city.

$35 million will be used to rebuild the Daley Bicentennial Plaza park greenspcae when the East Monroe Garage is rebuilt in the near future. This new garage is estimated to cost over $60 million and will be paid for by the lessee.

$120 million will be reserved to generate income to replace the income lost from the garages when operated by the Chicago Park District.

$278 million will pay off all of the debt associated with all of the public garages.

$8 million was/will be used for fees.

Please come out and give us your input and ideas about what could be built at Daley Bicentennial Plaza over the garage.

Grant Park continues to be Chicago's ever-improving front yard to the world as a downtown, lively outdoor civic center in a botanic garden setting. It is also financing well over $125 million in neighborhood park improvements in many neighborhoods throughout the city and that does not include the millions of dollars in new property tax revenue generated by all of the new residential construction around the park.

Thank you very much for your interest and participation.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:02 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^^ Interesting that they are soliciting new ideas for Daley Bi - aren't peddling the Children's Museum.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 7:08 AM

How about an outdoor garden maze???

http://www.photohype.com/Europe/Kabu...20Maze%209.jpg

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
I am very excited to see the Jahn Salvation Army community center, I have high hopes for this! So, now that 600 N. Fairbanks is nearly complete what other projects does Jahn ahve in the pipline in Chicago? I know there is the U of C Library expansion and chiller plant. I also thought the was some mention awhile ago about a possible residential highrise somewhere (maybe the South Loop)? Anybody remember that or know any more info on it or anyother Jahn projects for Chicago?
Helmut Jahn's chiller plant has been under construction for a few months. I'll check on the status next time I'm in the area. Work hasn't started on the library expansion yet; I think it's supposed to next year. There's also a plan for a ~7-story Helmut Jahn office building in Downers Grove, but I don't know the status of that.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 4:57 PM

Marina Towers photos

"Because of the architectural significance of our building, the Condominium Association holds a common law copyright on the use of the Association name and building image. This means that under Federal and Illinois law, advertisers, movie makers and others cannot use the Association name or image without first obtaining express written permission from the Association . ."

Full article
http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2007/...rina-city.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:32 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^^ Yeah - the Marina City condo board is really out of control. There is no such legal animal as a "common-law copyright" for the board on the building image - a disingenuous & silly attempt to shut down condo-owner websites critical of the board, perhaps. (BTW, I've no affiliation of any kind with Marina City, other than that I like & admire it as a building). But I can think of no better way short of a lawsuit to shut down these small-headed shenanigans than to shine public attention on them.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 7:59 PM

^ That is preposterous.

(Edit: do yourselves a favor and click through the links of Lynn Becker's post.....there is an incredible promotional video with lots of construction footage of MC and it's surroundings)

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Nov 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 1:35 AM
The City

I have a somewhat inebriated (I just came back from Uno's--yes we have one in my neighborhood in Queens--having eaten some Chicago-style deep dish and washed it down with 2 pints of amber ale) question for my Chicago compadres:

Given the tremendous amount of jobs in the Illinois Medical District, as well as the fairly good L and expressway access, has there been a housing boom in that area? If not, why not? I recall that some townhome communities have been built, but it has always seemed to me that this area was a bit underdeveloped. What's the scoop on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 9:07 AM
BANNED

^^^^The Ike, disconnection from the loop & other areas consequent on past mentioned. General urban renewal in the 1960's and the concomitant disenfranchisement of those who remained.

Gentrification...if it is a good thing is coming...its just it takes a while to snake its way west past ashland and south

well that is my half, 3/4 granached / pinot noired up answer

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 3:19 PM
Registered

^ I wouldn't call it a "Boom," but yes, there has been substantial development around the IMD area. People have been fixing up Tri-Taylor flats for a long while now, but we've reached a point where most of the older properties have been renovated. Tri-Taylor overall feels much, much more alive than it used to ... and full of hideous 3- and 4-flats.

There also is a major new townhouse and SFR community launching past Western. I do not expect great things from it, and some of the old industrial buildings they are demolishing are outstanding. However, the ABLA, Rockwell Gardens, and this industrial district to the west (plus the long shadow cast by the IMD and its consumptive land policy) have been the factors holding this area back - and now they are gone. People are starting to fix up this area (in certain quantities), all the way to Douglas Park, from my observations and talking to people in the neighborhood. And, of course, the Little Village area has been a very tight and well-loved section of the city for a long while, so there is some hope of a greater West Side coherence in the future.

The Heart of Chicago neighborhood to the south is also very stable at the moment, with a healthy mix of affordable units and a few condo conversions / rehabs happening along the way. To the north, the United Center area is starting to see new development too.

There is so much land available in all of these communities, with housing projects gone and industrial land, plus vacant lots, don't expect to see anything ultra-dense or especially urban over there. However, I do think in a few years they will feel much more like a unified neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 3:41 PM
The City

^ Thanks. Are a lot of healthcare professionals (doctors, nurses, etc etc) buying these houses?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:00 PM
Registered

^ Yes, I do believe so, especially in Tri-Taylor. I have met a few nurses who occupy new flats along Harrison Street over there. A new SFR in the nice parts of Little Italy can cost over $1 Million, so most people wanting to live in the area will probably be looking a bit north or west, or go for townhouses in one of the icky mega-developments happening around.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 8:18 PM
THAT Guy

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/m...ticle_id=28802

New Wrigley neighbor?
Investor pitches retail, residences across street from Friendly Confines

By Virginia Groark

A little-known real estate investor who's spent the last 13 years buying properties on Addison Street across from Wrigley Field says he now aims to put a big retail and residential development on that block.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 8:26 PM
THAT Guy

This project went through a lot of changes over the years. At one point I saw a drawing of a ~20 story building on the site. Then it was reduced to about 11 or 12 floors and now it's probably just a midrise.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 1:57 AM
Show me the blueprints

^And i might get harassed for saying so, but in this location, directly across from Wrigley, I'm actually glad something as tall as 20 floors is not happening. Wrigley needs to dominate that corner. I would say something under 80 feet would be much more preferable to maintain the classic Wrigley feel in the area. now 2 or 3 blocks away... be my guest bring on the 20 story buildings.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 3:06 AM
(insert title here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/m...ticle_id=28802

New Wrigley neighbor?
Investor pitches retail, residences across street from Friendly Confines

By Virginia Groark

A little-known real estate investor who's spent the last 13 years buying properties on Addison Street across from Wrigley Field says he now aims to put a big retail and residential development on that block.

There is some decent bars in that block. I hope he does not buy any more land beyond the parking losts he already owns. I would love to see that McDonalds redeveloped into an entertainment center though.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

City seeks landmark status for 13 banks

The article has a gallery of the banks as well to take a look. Glad to see this initiative going through, very worthwhile effort.

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/644...bank11.article

City seeks landmark status for 13 banks
ARCHITECTURE | Designation would protect unique buildings

November 11, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

Chicagoans know them as foursquare dependable anchors of old commercial streets and also the most ambitious architecture in their neighborhoods, except maybe for the churches..........

HISTORY IN THE BANK
City planners are proposing landmark designation for these former neighborhood banks:

Calumet National Bank, 9117 S. Commercial. Organized in 1883, it was the first bank in South Chicago.
Chicago City Bank and Trust Co., 815 W. 63rd St.; completed 1930. The first-floor banking hall has 28-foot ceilings and original marble and bronze finishes.
Cosmopolitan State Bank, 801 N. Clark. The two-story building completed in 1920 "modernized" classical design standards such as columns, pilasters and a frieze.
Hyde Park-Kenwood National Bank, 1525 E. 53rd St. The 10-story Art Deco building completed in 1929 used to be the largest Chicago bank property outside downtown.
Kimbell Trust & Savings Bank, 3600 W. Fullerton. The extensively ornamented 1925 building housed a bank for only seven years until it closed in the Depression.
Marquette Park State Bank, 6314 S. Western. The 1925 building includes a rotunda with a high domed ceiling and a skylight.
Marshfield Trust and Savings Bank, 3325 N. Lincoln. Built in 1925.
Mid-City Trust and Savings Bank, 801 W. Madison. The now vacant building was completed in 1912, with remodeling in 1928.
North Federal Savings and Loan, 100 W. North. Completed in 1961, the youngest building in this group rejects masonry in favor of glass curtain walls and spare details.
Pioneer Trust and Savings Bank, 4000 W. North; completed 1926. Features include an elaborate first-floor hall and friezes showing men at work.
Sheridan Trust and Savings Bank Building, 4753 N. Broadway. A rare neighborhood "skyscraper" for its era, the 12-story terra cotta building was long occupied by Uptown Bank.
Stock Yards National Bank, 4150 S. Halsted. Built just east of the Union Stock Yard Gate in 1935, the building mimics Philadelphia's Independence Hall.
Swedish American State Bank, 5400 N. Clark. The highly decorated 1913 building includes a keystone that incorporates Chicago's municipal "Y" symbol.
In addition, the following have already received landmark designation or are in the hearings process for getting one: Laramie State Bank, 5200 W. Chicago; West Town State Bank, 2400 W. Madison; Logan Square Trust and Savings, 3061 W. Logan; Home Bank and Trust Co., 1200 N. Ashland; Noel State Bank, 1601 N. Milwaukee. Source: City's Department of Planning and Development

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 1:10 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This project went through a lot of changes over the years. At one point I saw a drawing of a ~20 story building on the site. Then it was reduced to about 11 or 12 floors and now it's probably just a midrise.
cripes, weekend Crains

I did a serach and this is the only other thing I could find on it....

Quote:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+Field&spell=1

Jim Ludwig mentioned he attended a meeting with the Alderman and several neighboring branches earlier in the week about a potential large structure on Addison Street, just east of Clark Street. Steve Schultz, the developer, has proposed a mixed use building that would have 3-stories for large retail (e.g. Domenick’s, Best Buy, etc.) and restaurants, and would have 4 stories of parking and another 5 more stories of apartments. John Becvar repeated something that Charlie Schmidt, President of Hawthorne Neighbors, had said at the meeting. That is no traffic study would be needed because the results would be known in advance - - there is no impact because there is already complete gridlock that adding 500 cars would not make the existing gridlock any worse. Jim cautioned this proposal has not gone any further and would be a “Planned Development” before any more work is done.
Don't know if the Crains article mentioned that but I would sure like to know. Seriously what goes here is very important and shouldn't be schlock. From just what I can read of the above I can't say I like the sound of it much even though I would like to see more density in the area. I wish someone would work on the empty lots west of the stadium before moving in south of Addison. Why in the heck the hood would need a big box store like something akin to Best Buy I can't even fathom.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:01 PM
The City

Great news about the pursuit to landmark 13 banks. I'm especially happy to know that they plan to landmark the former MB Financial Bank offices on West Madison. Given the amount of shitty development (as well as meaningless demolition) occurring along Halsted in the west loop it's good that at least the city is stepping in to preserve a noteworty historic building.

I have long hoped that that building wouldn't see the wrecking ball, and being that WLCO doesn't have the foggiest clue about how a city is supposed to look or function (I wouldn't be surprised if they opposed the landmarking because they would rather see a parking lot there instead to 'ease' their parking crunch), I wasn't expecting that this thing would be saved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development