HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:03 AM

[Halifax] The Mariner (592 Bedford Highway) | 21 M | 7 FL | U/C

Name : 592 Bedford Highway
Address : 592 Bedford Highway, Halifax
Height : 31 Metres
Floors : 10 Floors
Uses : Residential & Commercial
Developer : 3247003 Nova Scotia Ltd
Architect : TEAL Architecture

2014.03.13 - Proposal Information Made Public
2014.04.16 - Public Information Meeting (Scheduled)

Case 19110 Details

10-storey residential building proposed for 592 Bedford Highway just south of Larry Uteck Blvd. There is a rendering available via allnovascotia.com. The proposal calls for 58 residential units and 6'800 sq ft of commercial space.

The project is going through the development agreement process which will require a public meeting and public hearing at North West Community Council. Other projects to the north along the highway have been downsized to get approval and sidewalks and a third traffic lane are common requirements.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Mar 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM

Here's the rendering from the architects website:

Source: TEAL Architects (uncredited in original article)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:00 PM

Is this the one intended for the corner or just up from the hotel on the corner (which is also subject of a development proposal)?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Is this the one intended for the corner or just up from the hotel on the corner (which is also subject of a development proposal)?
This is just north of Charlotte Ln, headed towards Larry Uteck, this is the third or fourth proposal along this stretch. Traffic on the Bedford highway will likely become a concern for this proposal too, I'm sure height will be chopped here as it has been for the others.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 7:45 PM
we built this city

I think the rule of thumb in Halifax is that every proposal will lose at least 2 stories. Propose 10, get 8... propose 8, get 6 or 4.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:43 PM

This is the site;

Google Streetview

The rendering doesn't show any road widening which should be included. Charlotte Lane is the most notorious spot on the Bedford Highway for a bad mix of narrow lanes, high left-turn volumes, bus blocking, and lack of sidewalks. While this proposal is too far north to fix these problems HRM should at least require the developer to widen the road to three lanes even if it is temporarly used for right-turns only. Larry Uteck - Shaunslieve needs NB left-turn storage and two-way left turn lanes.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The rendering doesn't show any road widening which should be included. Charlotte Lane is the most notorious spot on the Bedford Highway for a bad mix of narrow lanes, high left-turn volumes, bus blocking, and lack of sidewalks. While this proposal is too far north to fix these problems HRM should at least require the developer to widen the road to three lanes even if it is temporarly used for right-turns only. Larry Uteck - Shaunslieve needs NB left-turn storage and two-way left turn lanes.
Wholeheartedly! This will only add to the traffic problems there if nothing is done.

Would rather see more projects like this focused on the peninsula to build downtown's density rather than add to the traffic problems in the Bedford Highway area.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Wholeheartedly! This will only add to the traffic problems there if nothing is done.
But we're not allowed to widen roads in HRM! We are condemned to our 1940s-era paved cartpaths, and if any changes are made, it is to narrow them to add bike lanes that are never used.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
But we're not allowed to widen roads in HRM! We are condemned to our 1940s-era paved cartpaths, and if any changes are made, it is to narrow them to add bike lanes that are never used.

Hey, I've seen lots of people in the bike lanes lately, but have to say it was mostly SUV drivers who appeared to be too busy texting to bother watching the road lines!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 9:26 PM

I think ODM and Keith have a point and this is where I go back to the way Calgary does it as one example of a way to implement such an idea. We have what's known as a bylaw setback table on roads where we know we want a wider right of way. So as development happens, we require the additional setback be left aside so that we can come in and take it after the development is approved.

So for example lets say the Bedford Highway is a 30m right-of-way (edge to edge) and the City wants it to eventually be 40. If they decide to take 5m on either side, then a table would show:
Bedford Highway: Properties on (is it the south or east? Whatever direction) from # to # - 5m; future width 40m.
Properties on (west/north whatever) # to # - 5m; future width 40m.

What this would mean is that if I submit a permit application, if the required setback of the zone is say 6m from the property line with the street, I now actually have to ADD 5m to that number (for the future road widening) so that when it's eventually expropriated I still have the 6m minimum setback requirement.

But during the time that road widening is not taken - if the building actually doesn't require much a setback and has uses that might allow for patios and things like that; we will allow them temporarily to use that 'space' until we come in to take it.

The only issue with that approach is that because the level of development up here is much higher and many of these road widening are in areas of high redevelopment, it actually doesn't take too long to piece together most of what is needed (then we just expropriate the rest). I don't know if it would work as well in HRM unless the economic activity increased such that applications in a certain area picked up. I'd also add (in light of ODM's comment on bikelanes) that we use this system to acquire additional ROW for those too.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:31 PM

^^^
Good gravy, man!! Do you realize what that would cause here? The Ecology Action Center would be chaining themselves to trees! Jennifer Watts would be decrying the surrender to the automobile and calling for multi-lane bike paths instead, while reducing the vehicle traffic to a single lane for both directions. Waye Mason would be equivocating like made, doing a dance saying that since it was in a plan, he had to support it, but really isn't sure unless it is used for buses only. The Coast would be putting it on the cover, likely with a tombstone bearing the legend R.I.P Bedford Highway. Bedlam would prevail.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:20 PM

As I suspected the developer is NOT proposing any road widening or sidewalks in this proposal. The reason given is the turning volumes are low compared to overall traffic therefore the proposal will not have any noticeable effect.

Case 19110 Details

The Public Information Meeting will be held on April 16th @ 7pm @ St. Peter's Anglican Chruch (3 Dakin Drive)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:02 PM

The applicant has altered this proposal;

- The southern parking access has been removed. All access from the Bedford Highway is to be from the northern driveway while an exit only driveway remains on the south.
- All rooftops are now green roofs with elevator access provided to the top. There will also be gardens on level 3 and every unit has a balcony.
- The building has been pushed back an additional 20' from the Bedford Highway.
- The 7'000sq ft of commercial has been removed.
- A public sidewalk will be built to connect to the bus stop at Shaunslieve.

Case 19110 Details

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for posting these. I think these two developments are much nicer looking than the suburban multi-unit norm in Halifax. Icon Bay is much nicer than usual too.

I wonder if the Bedford Highway area could become an interesting neighbourhood with a few buildings like this an better transit service?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 1:36 AM

The applicant has submitted some revised plans for The Mariner

Case 19110 Details

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 3:42 PM

Completely missed the approval of this project in 2019. The approved version allows for 35 Units / 7 FL. This is now under construction.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 5:35 PM

The rendering looks good.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:01 PM

Kinda cool. Reminds me a bit of a 1950s modernist approach.

Nice to see these little infill projects coming about.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs