HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
When I click on hockey at the top and not on the bottom menu I go to the summer olympics field hockey. That was super confusing. Why is it just hockey and not Ice Hockey and Field Hockey?
?? https://olympics.cbc.ca/index.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Only Russia will be playing with world-class players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They easily have the best players in the tournament.
Men's hockey: Russian gold-medal favourites lose opener to Slovakia
Russian teams at the Olympics have lost 3 of last 4 matches against Slovakia
James Ellingworth, The Associated Press cbc.ca Feb 14 2018

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm not sure anything is going to really be an upset. Not what the usual powerhouses want, but it's going to be chaotic and interesting, all bets are off on anything.
^This

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:32 PM

Man, maybe this is the year of the underdog!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:32 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
No, on the actual Olympics site. I should have been a little more specific in my post and my Web search. Somehow doing a web search for medal standings gave me the actual Olympics site, not the dedicated Pyeongchang Olympics site which led to my confusion. Which is probably my bad for not reading that I was on the overall Olympics site. I really dislike the way Web design has gone to menu on top of menu without giving a sense of where one is within the overall structure better. But that's a different topic.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:33 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

A good day for Canadian hockey at the Olympics today.

Canada's Women's team beat the US 2-1
Canada's Men's team beat the Swiss 5-1

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

How exciting was that for luge this morning! Watched it with my bro who is a former 2 time Olympian in doubles luge with his best finish being 5th place in 2002 Salt Lake City. First time for Canada to ever medal in luge and now we have two medals!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:09 PM

Good start to the hockey tournaments!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:11 PM

So since I've given in to the apparent North american way of counting medals we are in 3rd place today

It would be nice to hold off the Americans.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:46 PM

It should definitely be by golds, ranking by medals would be like ranking NHL teams by Cup final appearances, not championships lol. Total medals is useful to determine how you stack up, but the ultimate goal is to win, obviously.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Good start to the hockey tournaments!
Canadian men's hockey team look to have their work cut out for them now.

Could be worse, Canadian women's curling team has kinda $#!+ the bed so far.

...So i haven't been watching the Olympics on TSN or CBC, I was really turned off by the commentary by CBC correspondents during the opening ceremonies.

So now i'm watching on NBC and really enjoying, way more professional, they have interesting segments and commentary especially with figure skating, luge/skeleton and skiing & snowboarding.

Even though they are more biased on profiling American athletes, you still get to see the prominent Canadian athletes if they amount to getting close to making medals.

I'm surprised to see some Canadian athletes specifically featured prominently in segments and US advertisements.

Regina's snowboarding phenom, Mark McMorris, was spotlighted on NBC during slope-style, he talked about his crash 10 months ago and his recovery and he has now since medaled in two Olympics officially now.
Mark is featured in commercial for US Visa & seen in high rotation.

Video Link

Canada has probably been featuring a lot of athletes in Canada too i'd imagine.
I've seen Mark McMorris on Cheerios cereal boxes, also have seen Virtue & Moir, Mikaël Kingsbury, Charles Hamelin on Cheerios...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:43 PM
ハルウララ

Youre likely the first viewer to ever voice approval of NBC's Olympic coverage. It is notoriously bad and has been for decades. Their coverage during the opening ceremonies was the epitome of unprofessional. Not sure what coverage you're watching on both NBC and CBC.

To each their own...but yeesh NBC coverage is brutal. CBC's online streaming is second to none.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 8:12 PM

Yeah, I do not see how someone like Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir are more professional than Kurt Browning.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 10:57 PM

I remember having a major crush on Tara Lipinski back when she competed in the olympics! She’s still a babe too judging from the pictures of her now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:27 PM

I was in Phoenix the last Winter Olympics in Sochi and I watched NBCs coverage of those games and found it exceptional. Anyone that thinks NBC is notoriously bad just doesn't recognize quality sports coverage.

I watched about half hour of the Pyeongchang opening ceremonies on CBC until the Tongan cross-country skier flag bearer walked into the stadium & was met by giggles and lude remarks by the CBC female commentators. Had it been a female flag bearer, there would have been firings if male commentators would have mentioned body image & certain body parts instead of commenting on female flag bearer's chosen sport. What a disgrace, I think one of the female CBC correspondents is even suppose to be a guest anchor for the National news on CBC across the country if i'm not mistaken.

NBC was a lot more professional during the opening ceremonies and explained a lot about each country and interesting trivia about the athletes and teams and circumstances around the games etc.

Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir add a lot of charisma & mystique to the figure skating event, something the CBC have a lot of trouble doing.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Anyone that thinks NBC is notoriously bad just doesn't recognize quality sports coverage.
Really? Because NBC just fired an analyst they hired specifically for the opening ceremonies because he said something so mind-numbingly dumb about Korea & Japan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d30c3958c64a
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
Joshua Cooper Ramo, who is co-CEO of former secretary of state Henry Kissinger’s consulting firm as well as a board member of Starbucks and FedEx, had said that South Korea is grateful for Japan’s role in its economic development, which remains a sore spot because of the brutality of Japan’s occupation from 1910 to 1945. Among other things, Japan’s army enslaved Korean females as “comfort women” during that time.

“Every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation,” Ramo said during the Opening Ceremonies of the PyeongChang Games on Friday.

The comment proved controversial in South Korea, and NBC immediately apologized.
And Katie Couric had to apologize for giving out blatantly false information about Holland during the Opening Ceremonies:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nds/328425002/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Couric
"As you all know, it has lots of canals that can freeze in the winter," Couric said, "so for as long as those canals have existed, the Dutch have skated on them to get from place to place, to race each other and also to have fun."
Quality sports coverage indeed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 3:19 AM

Can't please everyone,
but people will take things out of context if given a chance.
NBC is followed by the world & as such it's critiqued to a higher standard than any other network on the planet. At least NBC isn't overtly sexist these games like CBC.

It was too soon apparently
had Ramo just said 'Korea economy, particularly in technology, has followed a similar model to Japan'. he probably would have been fine but some would have still criticized him for saying Korea and Japan in the same sentence though

had Katie just said 'the Dutch have been known to skate on canals' and not ad lib and leave it at that, people wouldn't have taken her comments out of context and not suggest that she said that the Dutch are born with skates on and that they skate 24/7

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskscraper View Post
nbc is followed by the world & as such it's critiqued to a higher standard than any other network on the planet. At least nbc isn't overtly sexist these games like cbc.
wtf?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:41 PM
The New Republic

Wtf +1

Almost all US news media are considered a colossal joke around the world. To argue that the world follows them is farcical. Maybe they follow to have a laugh at how inept they are. US media can't even get geography in their own country right. How many morons do they have working there? Lots of them.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:26 PM
I am the law!

Almost every county has a local broadcaster at the Olympics. Why the hell would the world watch NBC except for shits and giggles?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada