HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:33 AM

Yea, there is zero shade in this part of the yard. No one every steps on the grass though...literally...so I'm not concerned about it getting hot for that, but I just don't want it to radiate heat like the sidewalks do in the summer.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:36 AM

How short do you have it cut? Looks really short and low in your picture. You may need to let it grow to protect itself. If you have it cut too short it burns more easily in the hotter months. I cut mine down to 1 1/2 inches, and it looks awesome.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
How short do you have it cut? Looks really short and low in your picture. You may need to let it grow to protect itself. If you have it cut too short it burns more easily in the hotter months. I cut mine down to 1 1/2 inches, and it looks awesome.
I don't know, the landscapers cut it but I will tell them to cut it longer. The sad things that it was las cut last Wednesday, so you can imagine how short it was then.

So you have bermuda grass and it looks good? Whats your watering schedule?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:33 AM
BANNED

I don't know much about grass but growing up we had st augustine and it was really green all the time.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Bermuda grows best when nightime temps are finally out of the 60s. We've been going back and forth, so pretty soon nights will get warmer and that usually does the trick.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:50 PM

So I went out and checked the water timer and found the problem.

I don't know why, maybe the landscapers messed with it, but it was set to water twice a day for 14 minutes every 5 days!. What the hell! That can't be good.

I set it to 3x per day, 10 minutes each time and every day...but now I'm wondering if it's too much?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:17 PM

seems excessive... but i don't have a clue as to your sprinkler system flow/output.

I think there are some guides online that tell you how much you should be watering your grass. Something about getting tuna cans placed around the yard and seeing how much depth of water is provided. Then you water as much as is supposedly necessary based on the time of year and recent rains. etc.

FYI: I do a deeper, less frequent watering. I do 2x a week for about 25 minutes currently. But my grass also looks like sh!t and I need to adjust my watering, so take this advice for what it's worth (likely nothing).

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:23 PM

I did the tuna can thing before and I think it was like 1/2" in 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

The website for the company that sells the BOBsod says to "deep water" ever 2-3 days.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
So I went out and checked the water timer and found the problem.

I don't know why, maybe the landscapers messed with it, but it was set to water twice a day for 14 minutes every 5 days!. What the hell! That can't be good.

I set it to 3x per day, 10 minutes each time and every day...but now I'm wondering if it's too much?
That is definitely too much for bermuda, you should not water daily. I believe a "standard" lawn-watering schedule for phoenix warm months is every 3 days - probably 15 minutes 2x ? ? ? not too sure, we water our tiny central phoenix lawn every three days in summer but I don't have a sprinkler so I am just watering it by hand with a garden hose.

EDIT: your landscaper may have still had your lawn on a winter watering schedule by mistake because I believe once every 5 days is a winter water schedule (more or less)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:49 AM
BANNED

The grass in my complex is watered at least once daily. It looks like shit.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:53 AM

Deep water every 3 days! 2 days if it is ungodly hot and the grass looks skinny or brittle.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:05 AM

So I replaced the sprinkler timer...then tot an error that the valve solenoid had a short...had to replace that too. 

Looking on the website of the people who sell BOBsod, they recommend every 2-3 days when temps are above 100 degrees and to water deep so I set the timer to water for 35 minutes every 3 days. We'll see who that works and adjust accordingly. 

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:33 PM

35 minutes is possibly a long time. It depends on how much water is being spread. You might need only 20 minutes. You don't want to over-water either. Also, make sure to water early in the morning, before it gets hot, maybe even 6AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Deep watering is key. It promotes root growth which will protect the grass from extreme heat during the hotter months. Roots will only grow where there is water.

I used to water for 20 mins every 3rd day and occasionally throw down some cheap fertilizer (Ammonium nitrate...I think...or was it sulfate ). It is a quick release, so be careful because one can easily "burn" their grass if too much is put down.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:35 PM

When I lived in PHX, I had Tiff and set my sprinklers to water every third day for 20 minutes each station. I had a gorgeous green lawn...looked like a putting green when mowed. 20 minutes really should be sufficient to get a nice deep soak.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 3:27 AM

Not sure if this will be that cool to everyone, but it was to me. I was doing some minor renovation of my house (stripping and staining an old wall mirror I have in my house (which I thought was original to my 1920s house, turns out it's not quite))... i had to take it off the wall after stripping about 9 layers of paint, and to my surprise, there was an old wall niche hidden behind the mirror.

The coolest thing is there was also several old newspaper sections tacked to the back of the mirror. It is the Sunday Arizona Republic from October 8, 1939... One of the main headlines reads:

"Nazi 'Threat' to U.S. Debated".

There are also a ton of other cool articles and pcitures and ads. A lot of things focued on phoenix in 1939.

Including:

A big article about the Boulder Dam (later renamed Hoover Dam)
An "article" and picture about a house that was built on 2200block of north 12th street.
Ford car ads, only $670!
Etc.
Etc.

Well, I was excited about it... I'm hoping to find out much more about 1939 Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 3:25 PM

I water 4 times per week for about 12 minutes and my winter grass still looks good but my bermuda has not fully come in yet.

I also have big dead spots in the yard from where I did weed 'n feed where it killed the weeds and no new winter grass filled in.

I'll get pictures up later.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
i had to take it off the wall after stripping about 9 layers of paint, and to my surprise, there was an old wall niche hidden behind the mirror.
Are you talking about like a medicine cabinet? I have a medicine cabinet built into the wall in a bathroom of my 1938 house.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:07 PM

No, it's an approximate 2'x5' wall mirror hung in this small section of "hallway" between my bedroom and bathroom.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 4:17 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
It is the Sunday Arizona Republic from October 8, 1939... One of the main headlines reads:

"Nazi 'Threat' to U.S. Debated".

There are also a ton of other cool articles and pcitures and ads. A lot of things focued on phoenix in 1939.

Including:

A big article about the Boulder Dam (later renamed Hoover Dam)
An "article" and picture about a house that was built on 2200block of north 12th street.
Ford car ads, only $670!
Etc.
Etc.

Well, I was excited about it... I'm hoping to find out much more about 1939 Phoenix.
Thats rad, see if you can scan or take a picture of them & post them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest