HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 7:40 AM

my japanese friend prefers to eat at only japanese owned japanese places and will always point out that the sushi place x is not really japanese

same with my korean friend - he's like its not really japanese its chinese

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
my japanese friend prefers to eat at only japanese owned japanese places and will always point out that the sushi place x is not really japanese

At which point, I answer with: "*nom* either way, 's still food. Seconds, anyone?"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 9:57 PM

yah i don't care but it seems that the distinction must be made by them

I guess the same way we say no i'm not american i am canadian eh when travelling abroad

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Korea/Chinese run Japanese restaurants are *not* the same as an authentic one in my experience. For example, order a Beef/Niku Udon at a Japanese place and you get soup, lots of noodles/meat, and usually a few vegetables/things thrown in. Order one at a Korean-run one especially(see:food court) and every time in my experience it's this monstrosity of a bowl of soup that's stuffed with vegetables as filling, and probably 2-3 small pieces of meat and a small piece of noodles, with the weight of vegetables more than the beef/noodle content combined. Always give the non-Japanese run places a wide berth imo.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 1:29 AM

Very true. People make those distinctions because there is a difference in quality and/or preparation. I like Korean-run Japanese restaurants. I even worked at one once, but nevertheless there is a difference. A Japanese-run restaurant pays finer attention to the small details, the perfection of the rice, etc. I do love the hot pepper paste that Koreans tend to add to make their spicy rolls and sashimi though. If you can't find authentic Japanese, Korean is your next best option.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 6:29 PM

I think this new restaurant is going to have an outside entrance as well, as there are new doors facing out to central city parking lot.....could be an interesting restaurant if done right....
Plus, I read an interview with the owner of Central City Brewing....he is moving the brewery down to Bridgeview area to expand the brand....didn't say anything about moving the pub tho

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
I think this new restaurant is going to have an outside entrance as well, as there are new doors facing out to central city parking lot.....could be an interesting restaurant if done right....
Plus, I read an interview with the owner of Central City Brewing....he is moving the brewery down to Bridgeview area to expand the brand....didn't say anything about moving the pub tho
wow maybe the pub can go back to having a dance floor again

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalley13 View Post
That pub is attrocious. I use to work there and it was receiving bad reviews then and I hear it's gotten a lot worse. I'm glad the brewery is moving though. Every time I walk by there on my way to get hot chocolate I can smell the stench of yeast a block away. I'm sure both Dianne Watts and Surrey Central have been on them to build some type of air cleansing mechanism. Target Apparell is open now though in the past few days as has Mobilicity and Bodymods.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 5:54 PM

Actually Central City Brewing has gotten a lot better than it used to be, the menu has changed for the better, the Beer is excellent and its a pretty relaxed atmosphere. I've never heard anyone else talk about Yeast smells.

They recently won brewery of the year at the Canadian Brewing Awards, and I think they are a pillar for attracting people from other communities to Central City.

Here's the article on the brewery expansion due to their success http://communities.canada.com/thepro...s-success.aspx

They are hoping to have production at the new Brewery in 2012 on the Surrey side of the Pattullo Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Butcher View Post
Actually Central City Brewing has gotten a lot better than it used to be, the menu has changed for the better, the Beer is excellent and its a pretty relaxed atmosphere. I've never heard anyone else talk about Yeast smells.

They recently won brewery of the year at the Canadian Brewing Awards, and I think they are a pillar for attracting people from other communities to Central City.

Here's the article on the brewery expansion due to their success http://communities.canada.com/thepro...s-success.aspx

They are hoping to have production at the new Brewery in 2012 on the Surrey side of the Pattullo Bridge.
Yeah that was the one thing that was good about them. They brew awesome beer. However they don't have adequate ventilation. All they do is open their street doors when brewing. I'd be very surprised if others have not mentioned it before. I personally think they should just get rid of the pub and stick to brewing beer (only with adequate ventilation of course)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 3:49 PM

I disagree, I think this area needs more pubs and restaurant destinations not less. They definitely will not be closing down the pub, I think it will be a pillar of this area for years to come.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 4:12 PM

Target Apparel

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 4:58 PM

Any word when the Wind Store is supposed to open?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know where? Tannery rd?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Any word when the Wind Store is supposed to open?
The Wind store still isn't open (vacant space other than a sign) but Wind does have an island kiosk set up now (CellWorldCo Wireless), just east of the Starbucks near Payless shoes. They looked extremely understaffed and I didn't get a chance to ask them today if they were moving into the retail space or not.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 2:20 AM

Burger King Coming Soon - In the area by the dollar store, close to the food court.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:55 PM

Target to buy Zellers for $1.8 billion

Target maybe coming to Central City after all:

Story from the Province:

Target Corp. said Thursday it is buying Zellers Inc., a subsidiary of the Hudson's Bay Company, for $1.8 billion.

U.S.-based Target said the purchase will allow it open its first stores in Canada beginning in 2013....

Read more: http://www.canada.com/Target+Zellers...#ixzz1AwHqDe4v

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:19 PM

hopefully when target replaces zellers they renovate the exterior of the building...that way the entire mall will look brand new wheb driving along king george

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 12:02 AM

The article does point out that even when it takes over in 2013 it won't be rebranding the stores so we'll probably still see them branded as Zellers. Most likely this was a move due to the fact they don't own the Target brand up here.... yet.

I'm still of the opinion the fellow back east is opening the Target apparel stores so that he drives up the buyout price for his Canadian trademark. He had nothing before really and now that Target is coming to Canada, he'll sit down to the table and say "buy my stores + brand for $100 million and it's yours."

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
The article does point out that even when it takes over in 2013 it won't be rebranding the stores so we'll probably still see them branded as Zellers.
You're right, that is what the canada.com article says, but other articles that I read said the opposite. They said that 150 stores will be re-branded as Target and the remaining 70 would become Walmart. My impression is that the Zellers brand name is gone by 2013.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley