HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:19 AM

I'm proud of San Francisco. Really wish LA had the amount of work.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:11 PM

The new SF JAZZ building is coming along nicely.

Also, the SF Business Times has a write up and interior shots as well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 9:23 PM
testify

yeah, i walked by last night, definitely coming along nicely, definitely looks to be delivered on time, though i guess with highly technical acoustic design, there's always the chance of a delay.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 1:21 AM

55 Laguna was approved by the Planning Commission last night:

Source: sf.streetsblog.org
Quote:
The SF Planning Commission unanimously approved a major housing development at 55 Laguna Street yesterday, despite an excessive amount of car parking that livable streets advocates say violates local parking maximums.

The development would include two housing projects: one with 330 apartments, and another with 110 affordable housing units (with no parking) reserved for LGBT seniors. They would share a block at Laguna and Waller with existing buildings owned by the University of California, filling in what is currently mostly a parking lot, used primarily for the UC Dental School. All told, 310 underground parking spaces would be built on the site.
Source & article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/08/17...a/#more-287380

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
55 Laguna was approved by the Planning Commission last night:

Source: sf.streetsblog.org

Source & article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/08/17...a/#more-287380
Can someone summarize why it's legal to reserve affordable housing for LGBT seniors?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 3:38 AM

101 Polk Street Development

I got a notice from the San Francisco Planning Department today concerning the proposed development at 101 Polk Street (bounded by Hayes and Lech Walesa Streets). The letter received today is a Notice of Project Receiving Environmental Review. The building will be 13 stories, 120 feet tall, residential with about 163 units, above subgrade parking for 62 vehicles and 57 bicycles. The lot is currently used for parking.

Across the street is another parking lot slated for housing. Development in the neighborhood is at a feverish pace!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 8:40 AM

55 Laguna Senior Housing

1977 - thanks for the update & drawing. I was not aware of the activity on this project this week. I'm glad to see that property which has been empty for so many years moving toward development. And it looks nice.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Can someone summarize why it's legal to reserve affordable housing for LGBT seniors?
Because it's part of city housing policy to create affordable housing for all minorities. And, it's like any other affinity housing, which is legal. You have retirement homes for catholics, jews, etc.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 12:42 AM

I posted this over at the Transbay Tower thread, but felt like it should be here as well. Anyone know what this means exactly? Delays? Cancelation? Hopefully, it's just a small bump in the road. I know SF has one of the strongest office markets in the US, so it seems as if the demand is there, and that Hines would still want to move forward asap. Either way, it's kind of a bummer.

Quote:
MetLife No Longer Involved In San Francisco’s Transbay Project

MetLife Inc. (MET), the U.S. insurer with a $60 billion real estate portfolio, is no longer a partner in the Transbay Tower development in San Francisco, which would be the city’s tallest office building should it be constructed.[/B]
“MetLife is not involved in the project,” Christopher Breslin, a spokesman for the New York-based company, wrote today in an e-mail. MetLife was still a partner as of mid-June, according to San Francisco Business Times.
The 1,101-foot (336-meter) building in San Francisco’s South of Market area is being developed by Hines, which won a 2007 competition to design and construct the tower with MetLife as its financial partner. The Houston-based developer and MetLife negotiated a term sheet to buy land at First and Mission streets, Hines said in 2008.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...y-project.html

More info at Socketsite.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 3:55 AM

It looks like the demolition of 1600 Market might begin soon. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the notice of permit issuance from march/april was back in the window, and then today parking spots right in front of the building are blocked off and the signage says its for the next month, 24 hrs a day. On a glance, the permit # on the signage looks like its for the demolition permit per the city's website.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 6:04 PM
heavy user of walkability

upper Market

thanks everyone for all the info and images - so exciting how much stuff is going on these days!

a couple shots from two of the upper Market St projects...

this is the Whole Foods one at 2001 Market (pdf) on the corner of Dolores, from the Market side:

and looking back from the south with the Mint in the background:

sort of kitty-corner from that project is 1960 Market at Buchanan, the site of a former gas station. looking east:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I posted this over at the Transbay Tower thread, but felt like it should be here as well. Anyone know what this means exactly? Delays? Cancelation? Hopefully, it's just a small bump in the road. I know SF has one of the strongest office markets in the US, so it seems as if the demand is there, and that Hines would still want to move forward asap. Either way, it's kind of a bummer.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...y-project.html

More info at Socketsite.
MetLife not in the deal as the financial partner may slow this project, but only marginally. Construction financing is usually paid off with longer term ( 5 or 10 Year) mortgage financing.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotetrickster View Post
MetLife not in the deal as the financial partner may slow this project, but only marginally. Construction financing is usually paid off with longer term ( 5 or 10 Year) mortgage financing.
Thanks!

Also, great shots timbad! Upper Market is going to look great in about 2-3 years.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 8:52 PM

Thanks Timbad, great shots. I think the project at Market and Buchanan is going to be a really nice improvement, especially since it was a gas station there before.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:57 AM

1844 market (or whatever the exact address is) is even further along than either of those other two upper market projects. i tried to take a picture yesterday on the way back from safeway, but i had a major phone fail.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
The same reason it's legal that they cannot get married.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
The same reason it's legal that they cannot get married.
1. I wanted more information about the law. My question was answered. You've added nothing but sarcasm.

2. Your point isn't well made. The reason why they are eligible for affordable housing is not the same reason they can't get married.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
1. I wanted more information about the law. My question was answered. You've added nothing but sarcasm.

2. Your point isn't well made. The reason why they are eligible for affordable housing is not the same reason they can't get married.
Not to get into a debate over this issue but my understanding is that many older LGBT people are still routinely discriminated against in senior housing and assisted care facilities. It's not well publicized because we theoretically live in more tolerant times, however, many older people are still holding on to their prejudices. Maintaining a positive social life is important to the health of all seniors.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:01 PM

This upper market mid-rise infills are nearly as exciting to me as any supertall. BTW has anyone posted news about the Octavia project? Wasn’t up for approval last week?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
This upper market mid-rise infills are nearly as exciting to me as any supertall. BTW has anyone posted news about the Octavia project? Wasn’t up for approval last week?
I believe it was postponed until early sept. i think i read there were a few minor items of non-compliance. also, apparently there was some community turnout in opposition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations