HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 12:35 AM

I heard Infinity is pretty bad, but somehow Park Place is ok.

I live in Access by Gateway Station. No problems so far.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
I'll definitely acknowledge the area is not perfect, but I've never experienced anything too outrageous. Yes there's some creepy looking people, especially at night, but that's the neighbourhood and they do exist everywhere. I'd still say much of Downtown is as bad, if not worse. I feel much safer in Surrey than the DTES bar none. But it depends on expectations - I don't expect Surrey to be Coal Harbour. The demographics are completely different. It is cleaning up, but these things take time.
I basically mirror the above.

Direct to you urbangeisha, I have lived in the Park Place tower 2 since last December when it was first occupied. I still live in the tower with my wife and am an owner. To your first questions:

1) Strata council for the most part isn't attended by owners. Only the Annual General Meeting (which would be taking place next month) is typically attended by owners and when you have a chance to vote for new strata council members.

2) Our meeting minutes are posted online by Rancho and you can contact our building manager Gus Ramirez (contact info can be gotten from the Rancho web site or via the concierge downstairs in tower 2). You can access all minutes there from each meeting along with any notices put out to residents.

3) Noise policy is dictated in bylaws and it is 10pm to 7am in both buildings for noise to be kept to a minimum. They go so far as stating directly you shouldn't run your washer and dryer after 10pm (though I have from time to time... bad me). Those align with city of Surrey bylaws and any complains should be sent to Gus. If you have an immediate issue you are typically asked to contact the concierge desk (or security after hours downstairs) who will immediately deal with the issue either going directly to the suite to talk to the tenant or by contacting the police.

I have yet to have drastic issue with noise but my neighbor does have a yappy little dog that once in a while we can hear. Again though it isn't a major issue and I'm sure once in a while they can hear my TV. They're also very good at being quiet after 10pm and respecting those around. I know there is 1 unit on my floor (other side to me) was causing a lot of noise issues with loud music and those that could hear it did complain to management and the concierge. I believe after a few hefty fines to the owner the tenants left.

Unfortunately noise in any share living area (apartment, condo, even townhouses) will creep up from time to time. My parents live in a townhouse complex and aren't devoid of issues surrounding late parties from time to time or drug dealers moving in. I take the stance if it doesn't bother me and isn't in front of my face, I don't particularly care. Have enough stresses in life.

As to your other points about safety and the buildings in general, I can say in living there 1 year that the worst I have seen are dog crap in the car parking lot, a few dogs peeing in the elevators which has resulted in them having installed cameras in the elevators now, and I did witness from my balcony a woman get robbed in the SkyTrain parking lot late one evening (2amish).

But let's face it, that happens everywhere in Metro Vancouver. Being a woman in our society unfortunately comes with higher risk to personal safety in the evening hours. It doesn't matter where you live be it Park Place, Coal Harbor, or even Point Grey and UBC. Predators are predators and you unfortunately need to take precautions anywhere you go especially around SkyTrain stations.

My wife has come home a few evenings on the last SkyTrain and I always make it a point to meet her at the station and walk with her back to the building. Has anything happened? Will something happen? Not necessarily but better safe than sorry.

As for drug dealers, I know several VPD sergeants and they have a common saying that every high-rise in downtown Vancouver has at least 2 grow ops and 1 meth lab, so this isn't unique to Surrey having the odd one. The odds are extremely high given there are 720+ units combined in Park Place 1/2. And you add it the 300 someodd units in Infinity and the odds are up there that out of those combined over 1000 residences in 1 square block, you're going to have some undesirables. Doesn't matter if the towers were in Metro-town or West Vancouver.

Just simple math.

But for your part, always be aware of your surroundings and do your part in reporting issues that happen to the building management and concierge/security. They have so far in my experience done a great job to deal with problem tenants and owners.

Just do your part, respect your neighbors, and report those that grossly disrespect you and those living in the buildings.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post

Strata council for the most part isn't attended by owners. Only the Annual General Meeting (which would be taking place next month) is typically attended by owners and when you have a chance to vote for new strata council members.
Hey, can tenants attend or we have zero opinion?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 4:26 AM

They can sit in most of them. Once in awhile, council will ask non council members to leave.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (EGOS) View Post
Hey, can tenants attend or we have zero opinion?
You may need to check your strata bylaws. Tenants probably can't sit in, but owners probably can. I know that's how it works in my starta, where only owners have any real say in council meetings and AGMs.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 6:43 PM

Tenants can't sit but owners for the most part can't. Depends on the topic and to be honest, most of what is discussed in meetings your average owner won't care about day to day.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Tenants can't sit but owners for the most part can't. Depends on the topic and to be honest, most of what is discussed in meetings your average owner won't care about day to day.
I was thinking about the Annual General Meeting. I know tenants have no vote (makes absolute sense), I just wonder if we can attend.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:54 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about the Annual General Meeting. I know tenants have no vote (makes absolute sense), I just wonder if we can attend.
I can't see why not.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 8:26 PM

I took a picture of the building permit for the commercial space in Park Place. It looks like they will use a section for a presentation centre of display suites and office area.

I wonder if it'll be Park Avenue's sales office?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 9:29 PM
Project manger

Hearing the horror stories of some of the residents of our city is very dis-heartening. I would say, that I have not an issue like this since moving here a year ago, but I am not a young woman. Mind you I have intervened in a few circumstances where someone was being accosted in a parking lot and even once in the underground parking of where I was living. The worst part of this trend, is that the people who were being " victimized " were surprised when I did come to their aid. In both events, I was not the only one witnessing such events. I was just the only one willing to do anything. Mind you, I am 6'1, 200 lbs and have served in the armed forces. Between you and me... I enjoy the idea of teaching lessons to people who need them.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
Hearing the horror stories of some of the residents of our city is very dis-heartening. I would say, that I have not an issue like this since moving here a year ago, but I am not a young woman. Mind you I have intervened in a few circumstances where someone was being accosted in a parking lot and even once in the underground parking of where I was living. The worst part of this trend, is that the people who were being " victimized " were surprised when I did come to their aid. In both events, I was not the only one witnessing such events. I was just the only one willing to do anything. Mind you, I am 6'1, 200 lbs and have served in the armed forces. Between you and me... I enjoy the idea of teaching lessons to people who need them.
Just careful when the other person pulls a knife...I speak from personal experience but wont get in to details on here... But regardless teaching lessons is good, although I suspect the best part is getting that adrenaline pumping through your blood and getting a sort of "release".

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 6:55 AM

Quote:
I took a picture of the building permit for the commercial space in Park Place. It looks like they will use a section for a presentation centre of display suites and office area.

I wonder if it'll be Park Avenue's sales office?

Yes Concord is using some of the space as a presentation center for Park Avenue and then eventually the remaining 2 buildings of Park Place which I believe are now part of the Park Avenue project (phase 2).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:04 AM
Park Place Surrey

jhausner, wow, thanks for the detailed reply, your post is very very helpful.
I wanted to ask everyone what they could advise on this. so I just got new neighbors in and they are pretty quiet. The only annoying thing they do is they really like to slam their doors, I didn't know a door could be slammed so loud that it makes me jump awake in my bedroom. Either their door(s) are loose or they just like to slam them and not know it's causing noise. The concierge can't help because he can't hear these slams since he listens form the hallway and he said he can't knock to tell them if he cannot hear noise. What should I do in this case? It happens through the night. For example, I was in bed now, and the door slammed a few times so now I'm back up at midnight with my heart beating from the really loud door slamming (it happens on a regular basis but moreso I notice it in the evening). They probably do that in the day too but I am usually out or at work in the day. Please let me know what I should do in this case?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:34 AM

Pardon me not knowing Surrey's projects too well, but is this project in the same area? http://parkavenueliving.ca Pretty funky project site.

There is also a video on the future prospects of Surrey City Centre area (with render!):

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 7:55 AM

^^

Yes. Park Avenue will be right next to Park Place.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangeisha View Post
I wanted to ask everyone what they could advise on this. so I just got new neighbors in and they are pretty quiet. The only annoying thing they do is they really like to slam their doors, I didn't know a door could be slammed so loud that it makes me jump awake in my bedroom. Either their door(s) are loose or they just like to slam them and not know it's causing noise. The concierge can't help because he can't hear these slams since he listens form the hallway and he said he can't knock to tell them if he cannot hear noise. What should I do in this case? It happens through the night. For example, I was in bed now, and the door slammed a few times so now I'm back up at midnight with my heart beating from the really loud door slamming (it happens on a regular basis but moreso I notice it in the evening). They probably do that in the day too but I am usually out or at work in the day. Please let me know what I should do in this case?
Any updates to your story/situation urbangeisha? I've long considered moving into Infinity / Park Place / Park Avenue and stories like this always make me pause and reconsider.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
buy earplugs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxItYourself View Post
buy earplugs.
I agree. In my unit I wear earplugs every night. Just a part of condo living. Indeed the builder should have provided me a delightful complementary package of earplugs along with the keys to my brand new condo.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Record it if you can. Just take some audio recordings (or video may be better) where you can clearly hear the slamming. Then compile them and submit a complaint to the strata.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:53 PM

Slip a note under the door.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley