HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 2, 2005, 12:33 AM
Me?!?

I thought this was worth sharing. It just goes to show the shift and changes in our economy for the better: TecPort, the Sci-Tech High School (and Univ. coming soon), this...

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
January 28 2005

TURBINE AIRFOIL DESIGNS INC. TAKES OVER FORMER CHROMALLOY AMERICAN MANUFACTURING PLANT IN HARRISBURG

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and officials from Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc. and its parent company of the Walton Johnson Group today Announced the company’s recent purchase of the Chromalloy American Manufacturing plant at 1400 N. Cameron Street. The plant will operate as Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc. and employs more than 100 highly-skilled workers who manufacture engine components for the aerospace, airplane, land and marine turbine industries.

The Mayor was joined at today’s announcement and ribbon cutting ceremony by John Walton, CEO of the Walton Johnson Group, a minority-owned merchant banking firm based in Dallas, Texas, and Richard Buckner, President of Turbine Airfoil Designs Inc.. Buckner will maintain his office in Harrisburg at the newly acquired plant.

Reed said the 300,000 sq. ft. manufacturing plant was originally built by the U.S. Government in the early 1940’s and operated by the Harrisburg Steel Corporation for airplane engine manufacturing. At the conclusion of World War II The site was sold to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, who in turn leased it to the Thompson Products Company during the Korean War. Thompson was a principal producer of engine parts and assemblies for jet-propelled aircraft used by the U.S. Armed Forces and at its height in the mid-1950’s employed more than 2800 workers.

The Mayor said the plant was later sold to TRW Corporation, who sold it to Chromalloy after a devastating nine-alarm fire in February, 1986 that remains the largest fire of the 20th Century in Harrisburg. Major outsourcing of work after Chromalloy’s takeover led to the layoffs of hundreds employees at the plant in the 1990’s.

“The Turbine Airfoil Designs plant has been an integral part of Harrisburg’s manufacturing and businesses bases,” said Mayor Reed. “It is also an important part of our nation’s military support industry. The employees at this plant are some of the best trained and highly-skilled workers in the nation. We are delighted with the company’s decision to continue their good work here. This plant and its workers have served America well during their more than half-century of operations here, a circumstance we hope will continue into the 22nd Century and beyond.”

Walton Johnson Group President John Walton said “they were delighted with the purchase of the plant and hope to significantly expand its business in the years to come. The employees of this plant are highly skilled and extremely dedicated, as evidenced by one such worker who has been at this plant since 1952. This is a company that has significant potential for future growth, and we think Harrisburg is a good place for that growth to occur.”

New Turbine Airfoil Designs, Inc. President Richard Buckner echoed Walton’s assessment, noting that “the company is one of the few such manufacturing facilities in the world that specializes in turbine airfoil design and production, and the advent of even greater growth in the airline, aerospace and related advanced technology industries means there is a very bright future for this plant. We are thrilled to be in Harrisburg and salute the outstanding workforce that we were so fortunate to inherit. We hope they’ll be joined by many more new employees in the years to come.”

Reed said the plant has been an industry leader for many years in such patented special processes as surface coating, brazing, heat treating and more that have been developed or invented at the plant. Despite its downsizing over the years it is today still considered one of the finest jet engine component production facilities in the world.

The Walton Johnson Group is a minority-owned diversified holding company based in Dallas, Texas, with holdings in investment banking, asset management, real estate and merchant banking. The Walton Johnson Group is jointly owned by John Walton and William G. Mays, owner of the Mays Chemical Company in Indianapolis, Indiana

Old Posted Feb 2, 2005, 5:33 PM

I would like to see 'Old Shakey' fixed. I can remember that thing coming down; it must have been 6 or 7 years ago. It seems like they have been trying to get it fixed forever. It would really make sense for Wormleysburg to create better connections with City Island and Downtown.

I would also like to see the 'Catalano's Project' move along. It seems like they have been talking about that for a long time also. Last I remember hearing, Wormleysburg rejected a parking garage at the site which would is really needed in that area. It seems like Wormelysburg likes to make their parking situation worse. I remember when the Gingerbread man moved in, the owner offered to create a parking plan (lined street spaces, tags, etc) for the borough at his own expense -- of course the borough rejected it. Wormelysburg has a lot of potential along the river front which they should really take advantage of.

EastSideHBG... you might remember me... it has been a while since I posted on the site. I am really glad to see the progress Hbg has been making.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2005, 11:04 PM
Me?!?

Hey edncc1701d, it's good to see you around here again!!!

Commissioners offer upbeat 'state of the county' message

Thursday, February 03, 2005

BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

On the heels of a rough budget year that ended with a 19 percent real estate tax increase for 2005, Dauphin County's commissioners last night talked of new initiatives and even had a huge "turning the corner" banner above the stage.

Plans to pursue a regional economic development summit and a call for creating a youth sports complex were among the major themes outlined to about 400 business and community leaders at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers.

As for the timing of the annual "state of the county" address on the same day as President Bush's State of the Union speech, it was chalked up to just bad luck.

County officials said they'd planned the event -- paid for through corporate donations -- last November, before Bush's date was announced, and that changing dates wasn't practical.

The board knew it couldn't ignore the recent tax increase, which came on the heels of a 19.5 percent rise in 2004. But references were made early and kept brief.

"This past year was, quite frankly, one of the toughest I've ever had in public service," commission Chairman Jeff Haste said. "We spent the year putting the county's finances back on track."

Haste renewed his call for state lawmakers to give counties another way to raise revenue other than real estate taxes, which provide 70 percent of the county's money.

Regarding a youth sports complex, Haste said the area is missing out on the opportunity to host statewide and national competitions that could bring money to the area. He asked business leaders to help develop plans for such a complex, and also asked for their participation in a regional economic summit.

While the board didn't give a timetable for the summit, Commissioner George Hartwick III said it would be held in the next several months and would concentrate on long-range growth plans.

"We expect the summit will give us the important answers we need to develop a strong vision and attract global companies, as well as fostering the rich, entrepreneurial spirit we have right here in central Pennsylvania," Hartwick said.

Commissioner Nick DiFrancesco, who has spent much of his time overseeing the county's nursing home, said a corner has been turned there.

This year, Spring Creek Rehabilitation and Health Care Center in Swatara Twp. is expected to cost the county $4.1 million, down from $7.1 million in 2002.

"We also expect nothing less than a fiscally self-sufficient nursing home," DiFrancesco said, in a line that generated applause. "This facility has been a drain on the good people of Dauphin County for far too long."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2005, 11:06 PM
Me?!?

Hotel would offer suite life at the Farm Show Complex

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The state Farm Show Complex is known for housing prize-winning cows, pigs and sheep on beds of hay.

Soon, the Farm Show grounds could be home to a hotel where people attending events or weary travelers can spend the night.

Crossgates Inc. of Harrisburg has proposed building a 150-room suite-style hotel on about 4.8 acres of Farm Show land that is now a parking lot.

The tract is at the northeast edge of the 90-acre Farm Show tract between Cameron Street and Industrial Drive.

Crossgates was the only firm to respond to a request for proposals last February by Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed and the state departments of General Services and Agriculture.

"We're very excited about it," said Frank Kane, General Services spokesman. "It's a great proposal, and it will be great for the city of Harrisburg."

Under the deal, Crossgates would buy the land from the state for about $605,000, or $126,000 an acre.

But before that can be finalized, the Legislature must pass a law approving the sale, a process that could take until June, said Rep. Ron Buxton, D-Dauphin County.

Construction would begin after that, he said.

It's not known when the hotel would open. Calls to Crossgates and its executive, Tom Powers, were not returned yesterday.

State officials said the company plans to build a Staybridge Suites Hotel with 150 suites, all of which would have separate bedrooms and living-room space.

Staybridge, a national chain with about 100 locations, bills itself as the "upscale suites hotel," with every room featuring a full kitchen.

The hotel also would feature a conference area, including meeting and banquet space, a restaurant and an indoor swimming pool.

It would be built to accommodate expansion, including additional floors.

Originally, there was talk that any hotel built on Farm Show grounds should be accompanied by a parking garage. But that would have added to the project's cost.

In the end, General Services decided there would be enough surface parking for the hotel and Farm Show events, Buxton said.

It is anticipated that most hotel patrons would be attending Farm Show events. And when the Farm Show is dormant, the hotel would attract travelers from Interstate 81 and Route 322.

"To have a hotel at that location is going to be a big asset," Buxton said. "It just makes sense."

The Farm Show Complex encompasses 17 acres of indoor exhibition space and is one of the largest meeting, convention and exhibition facilities in the country.

More than 125 events are held there over 280 days each year, attracting more than 1 million visitors.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2005, 11:08 PM
Me?!?

I found this VERY interesting...

Carlisle project feels like $1 million

Rendell also pledges funds for Newville, New Cumberland

BY DAN MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - Gov. Ed Rendell yesterday awarded $1 million to a key downtown Carlisle development project.

The state money will be matched with $1 million in private money to complete renovations to the second and third floors of Business Central, a retail and office center being developed in the former Woolworth building on North Hanover Street.

Officials estimate that the three to five high-tech firms moving into the new space at Business Central will attract 50 additional full-time jobs downtown.

A bank, jewelry store and Cumberland County government offices occupy the revamped first floor.

Rendell, who met at the center with local government officials and economic development representatives, also pledged money for other projects in Carlisle and Cumberland County, including:

--$35,000 to upgrade the facade of Carlisle Theatre on West High Street.

--$214,774 for street improvements in downtown Newville, including brick crosswalks, period lighting and traffic signals.

--$529,000 to New Cumberland for new sidewalks and lighting.

Newville is striving to "reinvent" itself, borough Mayor John Gatten told Rendell and other officials gathered for the presentation.

"Newville is a small and isolated town, which has no means of accomplishing on its own what it needs to thrive," Gatten said.

New Cumberland Mayor D.J. Landis said her residents "are going to be thrilled" with the governor's news. "We could not be happier," she said.

Rendell said the money demonstrates the administration's commitment to aid "mid-size and smaller municipalities."

These towns have "enormous potential" but face significant challenges, Rendell said, adding that quite possibly, "no city fits that description better than the Borough of Carlisle."

He noted efforts to retain The Dickinson School of Law and protect the Army War College on Carlisle Barracks from the 2005 round of nationwide base closings and realignment.

Rendell said he was "very concerned" about the future of the War College, but added that the war offered strong leverage.

"Bases are being called to step up productivity and the War College to step up training," Rendell said. "It gives us a good argument and a way for our bases to demonstrate their effectiveness."

Old Posted Feb 4, 2005, 2:37 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
1) About time they start using that massive parking lot at the farm show, not to mention that this will bring property tax bucks to the city.....and they need it.

2) Anyone have tips on Harrisburg City real estate? Someone has asked me about any decent homes that have parking (IE, not really downtown).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2005, 10:12 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
2) Anyone have tips on Harrisburg City real estate? Someone has asked me about any decent homes that have parking (IE, not really downtown).
The Northern section of the city is one of my favorites (N 2nd, N. 3rd, etc.). Heck, even some of the rowhomes have off-street parking. Just look around and see if something jumps out at you.

More unnecessary sprawl. Hooray!!! What is it with this area and retail all of a sudden?!? I'm not complaing about the new things coming, of course that is a good thing. What I don't like is all of these stupid strip malls. Build a FEW big ones and be done with it...

*Of course I'd rather see something other then a strip mall, but if it must be, then a FEW is better then many scattered all about.

Swatara strip mall proposed for 2006

Center would have 2 anchor stores, freestanding sites

Friday, February 04, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

A Lancaster County developer and a Tennessee real estate company plan to open a $50 million shopping center on 43 acres behind the Wyndham Harrisburg-Hershey in Swatara Twp.

High Pointe Commons would house two anchor stores and several smaller stores, said H. Stephen Evans, retail division managing director of High Real Estate Group of Lancaster.

The project would include freestanding businesses such as restaurants and banks, he said. The 350,000-square- foot shopping center is expected to open in the fall of 2006, Evans said.

Evans would not disclose the names of any of the stores, but said the anchor tenants would be "probably national department stores."

"There is strong interest in having a supermarket," Evans said. "There also are five out-parcels which will have free-standing buildings."

As proposed, the shopping center would be a little more than half the size of Paxton Towne Center, which is 600,000 square feet, in Lower Paxton Twp.

Evans said High Real Estate Group and CBL & Associates Properties Inc. of Chattanooga, Tenn., have an agreement to buy the property from PPL Corp.

The property, which consists mostly of cornfields, was the site of a 21-acre corn maze shaped like the symbol of Children's Miracle Network to raise funds for that organization in 2002.

Swatara Twp. Manager Paul Cornell said that High Pointe Commons "will give people more shopping choices. Some people won't go to the discount stores, and the mall is going upscale. Some people don't want to travel on Route 22 and deal with the crowds there." [but what do you do after there are crowds in this area?!? ]

Evans said High Pointe Commons is needed "because the southeast quadrant of the East Shore isn't well served for the customer to have convenient access for retail shopping."

He said that Jonestown Road and Route 22 "has a great concentration" of retail shopping -- Colonial Park Mall, Colonial Commons and Paxton Towne Centre.

"Now, with the Harrisburg Mall and High Pointe Commons, there will be a complete array of shopping opportunities on this side, too."

The shopping center would provide the township with "a good tax base," Cornell said.

"The commercial tax base is very important in keeping residential real estate [tax] low," he said.

High Real Estate Group is a diversified company with steel, concrete and real estate divisions.

CBL is the fourth-largest mall real estate investment trust in North America and the largest owner of malls and shopping centers in the Southeast.

CBL owns, holds interest in or manages 173 properties, including 69 enclosed regional malls, in 28 states.

The shopping center would be bordered by I-283 to the west, Lindle Road to the south and Chambers Hill Road to the north.

Swatara Twp. Commissioner George Lebo said he supports building a grocery store in that area, "but it would be ridiculous to build a strip mall when this area has so many stores around already."

Cornell and Evans said that the developers already have taken the project to the Swatara Twp. Planning Commission.

"They are now in the redesign phase to make the plan comply with township ordinances," Cornell said.

The plan must comply with both the township planners and the Dauphin County Planning Commission.

Then the township board of commissioners would consider it during a public meeting.

Evans said the main entrance off Lindle Road would go through the Wyndham property, necessitating the tearing down of the multilevel parking garage.

He said that Chambers Hill Road would be considered "the back door."

Evans said he hopes to break ground this summer and complete the project by the following fall.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2005, 10:14 PM
Me?!?

Just what the area needs, yet another dollar store. We don't have enough?!?

Store, offices planned for former nightclub

Friday, February 04, 2005
BY BARRY FOX
Of The Patriot-News

The Metron building is springing back to life.

But the one-time Cameron Street hot spot will not be reborn as a nightclub. Instead, it will house a Family Dollar store and a contracting company.

Joe Roberts of Duncannon is head of Welbuilt General Contracting and a principal in Brittany Capital Group, which paid $225,000 for the building at 400 S. Cameron St.

A contingency of the purchase was that the former owner handle necessary environmental cleanup. In the distant past, the building was an auto dealership, and underground gasoline and heating-oil tanks remain on the property.

In its heyday, in the 1980s and '90s, the night spot was known as Club Met and Metropolis.

The Metron was Harrisburg's stage for everything from musical big names, small names and no-names to comedians and 1960s philosophers to wet T-shirt contests, karaoke and beach volleyball.

Over the years, the club played host to Three Dog Night, Timothy Leary, the Chippendales, Wang Chung, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, The Ramones, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Hall and Oates, Blue Oyster Cult, The Black Crowes, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, E-Z Rock, Johnny Winter, The Village People, Peter Frampton, The Band, Dr. Hook and many more.

After a variety of incarnations, the club closed for good in 1996 after a shooting, and various city code violations were detected, including dangerous wiring. A church used the building for a short time in 2001.

Family Dollar will occupy about 9,200 square feet of the building. The discount store is expected to open July 15.

Welbuilt General Contracting will be the other occupant. The company specializes in commercial renovation work, Roberts said.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2005, 10:28 PM
Me?!?

Good stuff, good stuff...

:carrot:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...threadid=67134

Old Posted Feb 5, 2005, 3:06 PM
Me?!?

Interesting news for the area. I heard recently that the State Hospital may be turned into a casino/convention center once that closes down...

Realtors hope for slots-plan bonanza

There hasn't really been any trickle-down effect, and I doubt there will be much interest in putting stuff off site, because if they have all that on site, it would be sort of a waste.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

BY MEGAN WALDE AND ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

What will an extra $90 million investment mean for the proposed slot-machine facility at Penn National Race Course and for the neighboring rural Grantville community?

For starters, it could mean restaurants, slot machines, a club house, valet parking, a five-story parking garage and about 35 parking spaces for those arriving in limos.

That's all included in a plan Penn National Gaming Inc. submitted to government officials for a proposed $240 million slots casino, which originally was pegged at $150 million.

The proposal also could mean a boom in development around the track, which is off Exit 80 of Interstate 81. Realtors predict the investment will bring retail development on nearby property and higher real estate prices around Grantville.

RSR Realtors has seen "much more intense" interest in properties it is marketing in the Grantville area since Penn National said it wanted to get into the slot-machine business, according to Realtor Dennis McEnany.

The company anticipates an agreement soon on a 40-acre site near Penn National that is selling for $1.7 million, McEnany said. A year ago, it sold for $600,000, he said.

McEnany said he wouldn't be surprised to see a shopping center or outlet mall go up near Penn National after the slot-machine parlor opens.

Penn National's plan, which was presented to the East Hanover Twp. planning commission in January, calls for expanding the grandstand into a six-story, 325,000-square-foot grandstand and clubhouse with 7,500 seats.

If the company gets its state license, Penn National intends to open the facility in 2006.

Chuck Heller, an associate real estate agent with Landmark Commercial Realty, said Penn National Gaming Inc. may be thinking of a possibile expansion of gambling in Pennsylvania that would allow blackjack tables.

Such an expansion would transform Penn National from a day-trip attraction to an overnight destination, said Art Campbell, president of Campbell Commercial Real Estate Inc.

Penn National officials aren't offering more details.

"As we are still in the planning and approval process, and will not start construction until we have a gaming license in hand, we are not in a position to provide any more specific details," spokesman Eric Schippers said.

The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board has not yet established the process for applying for a gaming license, but $50 million of Penn National's $240 million project is earmarked for a license.

Nick Hays, spokesman for board chairman Thomas A. Decker, said yesterday, "The board is not going to comment on any potential applicant or licensee or their plans."

On Thursday, company chairman and CEO Peter M. Carlino said the Grantville facility will be "spectacular," similar to its Charles Town Races & Slots property in West Virginia. It is described as a functional venue, but not glitzy like a Las Vegas casino. Carlino would not offer more details.

Michael Rohrer, zoning officer for East Hanover Twp., said that, so far, other developers haven't submitted plans for hotels or restaurants in the area to piggyback off potential gambling success.

"There hasn't really been any trickle-down effect," Rohrer said, "and I doubt there will be much interest in putting stuff off site, because if they have all that on site, it would be sort of a waste."

Realtors are more optimistic.

"I think there'll be a certain amount of supportive development out there, for instance of the hotel and motel variety," said Gary Nalbandian, co-owner of NAI/Commercial Industrial Realty.

But "deeper," more service-oriented commercial development, such as beauty salons and stores, will come only after more residential development, he said. Future development will depend on what local residents want and on the availability of utilities, Nalbandian said.

The township is building a new sewage treatment system with a capacity for 250,000 gallons a day, 100,000 gallons more than its current system, said Becki Oller, a township supervisor.

The system, which is expected to be ready for operation in November, also can be expanded to 350,000-gallon-day capacity, and a "twin" can be built for a total capacity of 700,000 gallons a day, Oller said.

"It will allow for some development," she said.

The township doesn't have public water, but some developers have been talking to Pennsylvania-American Water Co., Oller said.

Penn National relies on a community well, Oller said.

Penn National's previous proposal was to build the casino area just off the entrance road and farther from the grandstand. In the proposal submitted to the planning board, the garage provides as much parking while covering less green space, Rohrer said.

Though it's not part of the building project, a wastewater treatment plant is also in the works on the east side of the property. The current plant would be demolished.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2005, 3:57 PM
Me?!?

Council schedules sessions on city small-business loans

Sunday, February 06, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg City Councilwoman Linda Thompson wants to get the word out that there's money available to help start or expand city businesses.

Thompson announced that she will host a series of workshops to inform business owners how to apply for loans under the city's Community and Economic Development Block Grant Program.

In past years, the city's $3 million CDBG program has focused on improving Harrisburg's housing. This year, Thompson said she fought for $200,000 to be set aside for small business loans.

The so-called micro loans of up to $20,000 will go to businesses to help revitalize specific neighborhoods.

"Business development is one of our main bedrocks to grow our local economy and create job growth, which aids in restoring most of our inner city neighborhoods," Thompson said.

Workshops are scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Feb. 17 at the Neighborhood Center, 1801 N. Third St., and at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at Mount Pleasant Hispanic Center, 301 S. 13th St.

For more information, contact City Council at 255-3060.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2005, 4:14 PM
Me?!?

HIA official sees more turbulence for airlines

Sunday, February 06, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Although more travelers have used Harrisburg International Airport in the last few years, it's been a bumpy ride for the airlines that served them.

As for the future, airport Aviation Director Fred Testa has a few predictions for the airline industry in general and HIA in particular for 2005.

He suggested that US Airways and United Airlines may emerge from bankruptcy into a consolidation. "I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sort of merger like they tried five years ago," he said.

Although passenger traffic at HIA increased more than 5 percent in 2004, HIA officials predict 2.5 percent growth this year. Testa, however, thinks it could be as high as 7 percent.

"Hopefully, we'll have another airline or some extra service by the year's end," he said.

Even as the major airlines struggle to right themselves by cutting costs and changing work rules, he said disruptions may continue because of fuel prices, fare issues and the political situation in the Middle East.

"They were forced by market conditions to make changes they were loath to do," Testa said of the major carriers. "Finally, reality has set in. No longer will you find airline executives with big golden parachutes."

Testa also found hope in the recent successful election in Iraq.

"If the terrorists could not mount a sustained attack, then everybody's fears are lessened," he said.

US Airways, the dominant carrier at HIA, had nearly a 34 percent share of the market in 2004, down from more than 50 percent a decade ago, Testa said.

The airline's second Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing last year stalled plans to replace some of its smaller turboprop planes, including those flown out of HIA, with larger regional jets with more seats. It also cut two of its flights out of HIA.

"We have shrunk as an airline," US Airways spokeswoman Amy Kudwa acknowledged.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, US Airways has reduced its flight schedule nationwide by about 30 percent, she said. However, the airline added 245 flights just this month, Kudwa noted.

"So now we're focusing on a plan of growth," she said.

US Airways also downgraded its hub in Pittsburgh, which means it has more flights from HIA to Philadelphia instead.

Testa said central Pennsylvanians don't like to pick up connecting flights out of Philadelphia because it is the second-most delay-prone airport in the country, "and more often than not your bags disappear."

Travel agent Helen Bowman at Liberty Travel in Lower Paxton Twp. said she is booking as many US Airways flights as ever. But it takes more "coaxing" because the bankruptcy has alarmed people, she said.

Bowman said she isn't deterred from scheduling vacation flights on US Airways months in advance. She just tells clients to pay for the tickets on credit cards because that affords them certain protections if the company liquidates.

It's not as if the other airlines are doing a whole lot better. United Airlines, the second-busiest carrier at HIA in 2004 with nearly 19 percent of the market, also is operating under bankruptcy protection.

Third-place Delta Air Lines, which posted an industry-record $5.2 billion loss last year, and fifth-place American Airlines narrowly avoided bankruptcy by getting employee concessions.

Both Delta and United have increased passenger loads at HIA since 2001 by adding flights and seat capacity.

In an effort to attract more customers nationwide, Delta announced early last month that it was reducing by up to half its most expensive fares and eliminating an unpopular Saturday-night stay-over rule for cheaper tickets.

Several midstate travel agents said they haven't noticed any increase in demand for Delta tickets.

American Airlines announced it, too, would sharply reduce fares and penalties. Continental Airlines, Northwest Airlines, United and US Airways followed suit in select markets.

"Where there's competition, you'll find decent fares," Testa said.

Last fall, US Airways announced simplified fares, some as low as $89, from HIA to seven western destinations.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2005, 6:16 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
HIA's in good shape, they've got access to the local cargo market, many local passengers for flights, and access to the major commuter hubs (I never understood how Detroit is a "commuter" hub).

EastSide, under the current slots bill, they can't turn Harrisburg State into a slots facility, because Penn National gets an "exclusion zone" for 20 miles in every direction from the track. So, until they revise the slots bill AGAIN, that's not really an option. Rumors I've heard is that the hotel they are putting in at the farm show complex will replace part of the hospital. However, that would delay the Farm Show/Hotel project until they close down the hospital, which even under current plans will take until mid-2006.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2005, 7:22 PM
Me?!?

Ah okay, thanks a lot for the info, Spudmrg. I wouldn't be surprised if they revised the slots bill yet agin, though. Who knows. This state is a little :nuts: in my opinion...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2005, 11:50 PM
Me?!?

Hard to believe, the last parcel is almost gone. I remember when there was so much open land around here!! On the bright side, at least they will keep much of the forest in tact...

Developer plans housing in Blue Mountain's shadow

Much of Susquehanna Twp. tract would remain forested
Monday, February 07, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

The last large piece of undeveloped land in Susquehanna Twp. is being considered for what appear to be moderately sized single-family detached houses.

Bowmansdale-area developer Robert M. Mumma II has submitted an informal drawing for township review that calls for 208 houses on a 126-acre tract that hugs the Blue Mountain conservation district.

Much of the forested area would remain intact, with the plans calling for roads winding through the steeply sloped property that is bordered by Mountainview Road to the west, Buck Run Lane to the east and Blue Ridge Road to the south.

The township planning commission is scheduled to review the plan at its next meeting, at 7 p.m. Feb. 14.

Mumma, who is calling the development Beaufort Terrace, has built eight single-family houses to the east of the property, just across Buck Run Lane.

Mumma could not be reached for comment.

Frank Kessler, the township's zoning and codes enforcement officer, said the plan appears to meet the site's residential zoning, including the intent to keep as much open space as possible.

"That's the reason for the smaller lot sizes, to keep the open space," Kessler said.

He said the concept for the development is similar to the township's Mountaindale development, which also hugs Blue Mountain.

According to the sketch plan, the lot sizes will be about 8,000 square feet, with 20-foot front yards and 30-foot back yards.

Kessler said he didn't have more information regarding the kind of houses planned or when Mumma would want to start construction.

Typically, a developer gets comments on a sketch plan and returns to the township with a more detailed preliminary development plan, Kessler said.

As of last year, the township has approved development plans for more than 1,400 new houses, both detached and town houses.

"I think it's what the township needs -- the single-family detached homes," Kessler said. "A lot of the development in this area in recent years has been town homes."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
Me?!?

/\
Btw, you know what happens when a place becomes built out: densification, higher housing prices...the HBG metro is turning an urban corner for sure, and this is evident in the quick spike in housing prices in the immediate area.

Hey look, even more sprawl!!!

Work starts on controversial Halifax Twp. housing project

Work starts on 160-house Halifax Twp. development

Tuesday, February 08, 2005
BY LAUREN ROONEY
For The Patriot-News

After five years of legal battles and debate, workers have broken ground on one of upper Dauphin County's largest housing projects.

Crews started work last week on the Lenker Estates housing development in Halifax Twp., along routes 147 and 225.

When finished, Lenker Estates will consist of 160 houses, each between 1,700 and 2,400 square feet, with prices of around $175,000. Developer Gary Lenker said he expects the first of the houses to be ready by July.

The project has been delayed by a series of lawsuits and appeals to the developer's plans by a group of residents. Some cited worries over increased traffic, runoff and drainage, and a private sewage treatment plant to serve the development.

"With more and more housing, which of course is on its way real fast, we are going to be the suburbs of Harrisburg," said Norma Shearer, president of the township board of supervisors.

"All we were asking was that the township ordinances be enforced and the developer follow the rules as would be required by any other developer," said Supervisor Linda Ruff, who was part of the citizens group that filed the legal actions.

On Dec. 28, Ruff's lawyer, Robert Radabach, advised her and other residents to drop their appeals.

The recommendation came after a meeting between Radabach, Lenker's lawyer Mark Silver, and Dauphin County Judge Bruce Bratton. Radabach would not comment.

Lenker said he is glad the project is finally clearing its last hurdles.

"The bottom line was the residents of a neighboring development just didn't want this development here," Lenker said.

Lenker said his project exceeds the township's subdivision and land-development guidelines. He said that while the required lot size for such a housing development is 15,000 square feet, more than half of his lots will be between 15,000 to 18,000 square feet.

"We're now looking at doing a development of more upscale housing than what I originally would have done because my costs have been driven up by the delays," Lenker said.

Lenker said he is installing curbs, sidewalks and street lights, which are not required by township rules, and will put aside three lots to be used as recreational areas for the Lenker Estates residents.

His company is paying for improvements to the intersection of routes 147 and 225, including a turning lane and changes to the traffic signal.

Ruff remains frustrated that the developer cut down two sycamore trees planted in 1922 in memory of fallen World War I soldiers.

"He said he was going to cut down one tree but removed two for the entrance" to the development, said Ruff, who is leading an effort to have the trees placed in the National Register of Historic Places. "It is extremely important we preserve these trees. The entrance could have gone someplace else."

Lenker said that the removal of the trees for the entrance was in the plans from day one.

Noting the battles over the Lenker Estates development and the prospect of more housing, Ruff and Shearer said the township needs to develop zoning ordinances.

The township has no zoning laws, and Shearer said some residents will not be happy about the prospect of adding zoning laws to designate where housing should and should not go.

"Some of the supervisors see it as a definite need," Shearer said. "We have to approach it thoughtfully and with an open mind."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 8:30 PM

Harrisburg continues to grow, but not as I would like to see it grow. I guess these developments are what people like and what people feel they can afford. So it goes.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 10:14 PM

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/pat...7600156960.xml

Calling Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed out of touch, complacent and self-serving, Jason N. Smith said he'll challenge Reed in the Democratic primary this spring.

"The mayor has to go if this city is to move forward," said Smith, 32, owner of the downtown design firm Fathom. "I have a very exciting vision for Harrisburg. I think it will be refreshing, and I think people are ready for it."
Last month, Smith joined the Democratic Party. He had been registered independent since December 2003 and before that was a Republican. Smith has said he favored President Bush in last year's election.

Any thoughts on this article? How long has Reed been mayor, 20 – 25 years now? I doubt anyone can unseat the Reed reign. The guy has genuinely done well for the city, his worst skeleton (politically speaking) is all but ‘out of the closet’ and the city proper is strongly liberal (I am guessing here). Anyone think its time for a challenger to Reed or agree that nothing can unseat Reed?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 11:48 PM
Me?!?

I think Reed has done/is doing a fantastic job. Could someone do it better? Would the citizens be willing to take that gamble? THAT is the real question I guess. All that seems to come to mind for me is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it...", though.

*But I must say that I do like a lot of Smith's ideas and what he says. Hmm...

DT continues to do its thing. :carrot:

Upscale cafe with live jazz planned in city

Wednesday, February 09, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Cafe Fresco, known for its gourmet coffees, wraps and pizzas on the 3300 block of Paxton Street, is spawning a second, more upscale location on Harrisburg's Restaurant Row.

"Anybody would like to be part of the growth downtown," said Cafe Fresco owner Nick Laus in announcing his plans at a City Council meeting this week.

Laus plans to open his 110-seat restaurant at 215 Second St. sometime in April, further fueling the growth of downtown Harrisburg.

It will be located in a renovated space that formerly housed the Mulberry Lane gift shop next to Stock's on 2nd restaurant.

The announcement comes on the heels of plans for a $4.5 million restaurant and banquet facility to be built on City Island's east shore, just south of the Market Street Bridge.

Dubbed the Island Grill, the 28,800-square-foot building with more than 600 seats could be open as early as August.

In addition, a French-Quarter-themed eatery and nightclub is scheduled to open at 321 N. Second St. in about a year.

"The Quarter" would hold 1,200 to 1,400 people, with a basement jazz club, a first-floor bar and a second-floor restaurant and raw bar.

The new Cafe Fresco will offer a full menu of breakfast lunch and dinner, with an emphasis on espresso and gourmet coffees -- much like its companion location in Swatara Twp.

"I'd really like to become the gourmet coffeehouse of Harrisburg," Laus said.

But unlike the suburban restaurant that opened in 2002, the downtown location will have a liquor license that will allow Cafe Fresco to include a 12-seat bar and offer bottled beer, wine and drinks.

Laus said he's also planning live jazz music and other attractions to give the new restaurant a "metropolitan" feel.

"You can go in and have a glass of wine or a cappuccino and listen to some jazz," Laus said. "As you develop a new place, you always try to out-do the last one."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2005, 11:24 PM
Me?!?

Not a bad idea really when you think about it. The Civil War Museum is a great place, but let's be honest here: it is now a big flop. Attendence is WAY down and there have been layoffs for years now. Hmm...could this have anything to do with the fact that A) the marketing and mgmt. was/is terrible and B) HARRISBURG ISN'T GETTYSBURG?

The more I think about this, the more interesting I think this election will be. I could see people crawling out of the woodwork to vote against Reed. Think about it: he really hasn't ran against anyone worth while in quite some time. But now...

Mayor candidate suggests closing Civil War Museum

Thursday, February 10, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg's National Civil War Museum would be closed to make way for a more accessible and serviceable city government center.

That's one of the ideas floated yesterday by Jason N. Smith as he announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for mayor.

"Move city hall to Allison Hill," Smith said under a campaign banner emblazoned with the image of a stopwatch and the slogan "It's time."

"I like the idea of moving the center of our government to the center of our city," he added. "It would be a civic center."

Among his proposals, Smith said he could sell Harrisburg's downtown government center on Market Square for an estimated $4.5 million and move city operations.

The switch also would rid the city of the museum, which opened in Reservoir Park in 2001 at a cost of $39 million, including $17 million in artifacts. Smith called it a failed venture and a continuing financial drain.

Smith unveiled a list of other ideas, including reforming the city's authorities and rewriting its building codes, but was reluctant to name his priorities until he has a chance to meet with more residents.

"The platform will take focus over time," he said. "This campaign won't be won with one speech. ... It will be won through a thousand conversations."

The overarching theme of the campaign is that Reed has worn out his welcome in his six terms as mayor.

"Twenty-four years are enough," Smith said. "Mayor ... your time is up."

Reed released a one-paragraph statement deriding Smith's candidacy, his past activism in the city and his qualifications.

Calling him "often inaccurate and frequently misguided," Reed said Smith "has neither the maturity nor the fortitude to serve in a city elective office, let alone as mayor."

Smith responded that he is the same age -- 32 -- as Reed was when he won his first term. But Smith acknowledged that his experience is as a business owner, not a "career politician." Reed, now 56, had been a Dauphin County commissioner and state representative prior to becoming mayor in 1982.

Smith, best known for fighting Reed's proposal for a Wild West museum, said he expected to be outspent and outmaneuvered by Reed. But he added that he doesn't view his newcomer status as a disadvantage.

"People are tired of hearing [Reed's] name," Smith said. "I don't think the mayor is as strong as conventional wisdom would hold."

Smith recently switched his political affiliation to Democratic, the city's dominant party. He'd been an independent since December 2003, and before that a Republican.

Smith said he's making a full-time commitment to the campaign, adding that his design firm, Fathom, would be run by employees.

"I'm not a politician," he said. "I'm an underdog, but I've always won. I expect a groundswell of support."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations