HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
There's about a thousand and one things you could rightfully criticize LAX for, but this is most definitely not one of them. In fact LAX is singular among its peer airports for boasting perhaps the SHORTEST curb to gate distances of any major airport in the nation.

Informed criticism is one thing, but you seem not to have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
Exactly. I'm pretty sure he's never been to another large airport based on his comments. Personally, I love LAX. It's small, its easy to use and with all the improvements coming, all that's left to fix is the tsa line

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
There's about a thousand and one things you could rightfully criticize LAX for, but this is most definitely not one of them. In fact LAX is singular among its peer airports for boasting perhaps the SHORTEST curb to gate distances of any major airport in the nation.

Informed criticism is one thing, but you seem not to have the slightest idea what you're talking about.
Really? I always seem to have to fly into or out of the far end of Terminal 8, which is quite a hike from security or baggage claim. SFO has that long pier in the United terminal, but it is equipped with moving walkways; so is DIA. But LAX, no.

It's a crappy airport.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Exactly. I'm pretty sure he's never been to another large airport based on his comments. Personally, I love LAX. It's small, its easy to use and with all the improvements coming, all that's left to fix is the tsa line
SFO, Seattle, Vancouver, DIA, the old Stapleton, DFW, the old Love Field, IAH, ORD, Atlanta, JFK, La Guardia, Newark, Boston, Dulles, National, West Palm Beach, Austin, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Kansas City, St. Louis. And that's just in this country.

On that list, the closest ones to LAX in ambience are La Guardia and Newark.

Next?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
SFO, Seattle, Vancouver, DIA, the old Stapleton, DFW, the old Love Field, IAH, ORD, Atlanta, JFK, La Guardia, Newark, Boston, Dulles, National, West Palm Beach, Austin, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Kansas City, St. Louis. And that's just in this country.

Next?
The delta terminal in San Francisco is old and crappy and the international terminal is looking outdated already compare to the one at LAX. I have been to all those airports and I can tell you that I have walk more on those terminals than I have ever walked at LAX.

Last edited by LAX_Alex; Jun 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Alex View Post
The delta terminal in San Francisco is old and crappy and the international terminal is looking outdated already compare to the one at LAX. I have been to all those airports and I can tell you that I have walk more on those terminals than I have ever walked at LAX.
Of the large airports, TBIT and JFK T4 are the nicest Int'l terminals in the US. DFW D is nice but feels a bit sterile. We'll see what IAH pulls off with their D. Haven't been to the new part of ATL so can't comment.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:05 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 1 renovation is really the only one that's legit. Kudos to Southwest for investing in LAX. From the PGAL website:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Alex View Post
I confess, I fly United or Alaska; mostly United. The United terminals at LAX could be straight out of Calcutta. The San Francisco terminal is great and, as I said, if my flight lands on the long pier, I just step onto the moving sidewalk and relax.

DIA is the best airport I have ever seen. It actually makes flying a pleasure.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Thanks for the video. Any word on when the north side terminals will have an airside connector to TBIT?
Just curious. Will make a huge difference.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Thanks for the video. Any word on when the north side terminals will have an airside connector to TBIT?
Not until Delta rebuild T3, which will happen after TBIT MSC opens.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 12:42 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Really? I always seem to have to fly into or out of the far end of Terminal 8, which is quite a hike from security or baggage claim. SFO has that long pier in the United terminal, but it is equipped with moving walkways; so is DIA. But LAX, no.

It's a crappy airport.
LAX IS a crappy airport. Granted the walk isn't as long as some other airports, but getting out of the terminals and into your car (or some other form of transport) more than makes up for the short walk.

Even getting across the street (either to or from parking) feels like a life and death experience, especially considering there's like two exit/entry points from the entire city-block long garage, and neither of them feed right into a crosswalk. And it couldn't be more appropriate for LAX to be as uncoordinated as the city it represents. Every car rental service and every single private off-site parking lot has its own shuttle service to further muck up the clusterfuck that is World Way.

LAX, like its host city, fails at meeting "world class" standards.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:50 AM

Quote:
I confess, I fly United or Alaska; mostly United. The United terminals at LAX could be straight out of Calcutta. The San Francisco terminal is great and, as I said, if my flight lands on the long pier, I just step onto the moving sidewalk and relax.

You know, if you've actually been to the new airport in Calcutta, it's actually very nice. Look it up.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom View Post
You know, if you've actually been to the new airport in Calcutta, it's actually very nice. Look it up.
Would not surprise me in the least to learn that it is nicer than LAX!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 6:10 PM

^^^ LOL credibility is key. Comparing one to the other without actually experiencing the other, just to be proven wrong isn't good for your argument.

Don't get me wrong, I hate LAX too and wish the whole thing were torn down and rebuilt, but I think your arguments are a little baseless.

Quote:
i associate lax with the third world and by that, i mean no insult to the third world. When i go to an airport, i don't want hustle and bustle, i want comfort and convenience and i want to get to my gate in the shortest possible time, preferably without a half-mile (or longer) hike. Lax fails in every one of those measures. The "improvements" don't appear to me to be helpful.
I really wish people would stop comparing anything in the USA to the actual "third world" because it just tells me that people are clueless to what the third world truly is. I understand its said for dramatic affect but its pretty ridiculous.

"i don't want Hustle and Bustle"

HAHAHA well sorry LAX is the airport of the second largest city in the nation and is 5-7th (fluctuates) busiest airport in the world and gateway to the Pacific and Asia LOL sorry that its so darn busy . But feel free to use Burbank(Valley), Ontario(I.E), Long Beach or John Wayne (O.C) since those airports are serving much smaller markets and aren't handling 75 million passengers a year

Quote:

It's a crappy airport.
As I've said before. IF you're really weighing heavily on the fact that an airport doesn't have moving walkways as a make or break on if the airport is good or not, its just ridiculous and sounds like a personal problem. ALL of the terminals, minus TBIT, are literally a 5-10 minute walk from the gate to the street. If you cant manage that walk than maybe its time we get you on a work out regimen. LAX wasn't built like other airports where you can easily have a 30 minute walk from the gate to the street. All of the terminals are right at the street. So that argument is VOID. AND DIA is MASSIVE, so its expected to have moving walkways since its terminals are literally miles long.

Quote:

Next?
Merely naming off airports doesn't help your argument. If anything, it makes people question your credibility. And regurgitating comparisons to La Guardia and Newark is questionable as well since everyone claims those as the worst in the nation so those being horrible are common knowledge and saying "well ive been to those" well hell they are talked about so much, feels like we've all been through those haha.

Quote:

Again, comparing LAX to Calcutta when Calcutta is actually pretty new and modern makes people question your credibility. Comparing LAX, one of the oldest in the nation, to Denver international, one of the newest (if not the newest) is ridiculous. Give credit when its due. LAX is making improvements. Not nearly fast enough and not nearly as grand as they should be but its not horrible.

Again, I'm not here in Defense of LAX, I despise LAX and its lack of cohesiveness, I think the entire thing should have been torn down segment by segment and reconfigured but as always we do everything half assed. But I just hate when people try to make an argument that's not even skin deep. Not looking at the bigger picture. as I said, give credit when its due.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 5:12 PM

It's a crappy airport, period. I'll agree with you about one thing, it really needs to be torn down and replaced from the ground up. These piecemeal fixes aren't fixing anything.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 6:08 AM

I see the United airlines terminal being mentioned in a few posts above. so speaking of which....

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
It's a crappy airport, period. I'll agree with you about one thing, it really needs to be torn down and replaced from the ground up. These piecemeal fixes aren't fixing anything.
It's not a crappy airport. You are confusing size of departure hall with functionality. LAX offers quick access from curb side to departure gate that is rare among large airports.

Your nonsensical rants about being replaced from the ground up totally missed the point that LAX is an O&D airport and most people want to get to the flights quickly, not spend 2 hours shopping in a duty free store because they are transiting here.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
It's not a crappy airport. You are confusing size of departure hall with functionality. LAX offers quick access from curb side to departure gate that is rare among large airports.

Your nonsensical rants about being replaced from the ground up totally missed the point that LAX is an O&D airport and most people want to get to the flights quickly, not spend 2 hours shopping in a duty free store because they are transiting here.
Exactly. If the TSA mess can be figured out (not just an LAX issue btw), then LAX will be great with the remodels. Its so efficient. Ive gotten from curb to gate in less than 10 minutes numerous times. Try that in Heathrow, Denver or Dallas

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:22 PM

Here are the problems with LAX... all of them can be fixed relatively easily without wasting money on replacing anything "from the ground up".

1. AA Eagle remote terminal needs to go. I believe the plan is to move all AA Eagle flights to T5 once Delta moves to T3.

2. Airside connection on the north side terminals. With T3 rebuild, connectors to TBIT and T2 will be part of the plan.

3. Traffic congestion in the ring road. It's time for LAWA to really fix this issue. First, I would implement mode separation with bus, shuttle, taxi, and uber all using the upper roadway and private cars using the lower road way. That will eliminate 50% of the bus and shuttle traffic and reduce congestion. Second, I would install license plate readers at ring road entrance and charge drivers a fee for continuously circle the loop while waiting to pickup people rather than using the cell phone waiting lot - i.e. if you enter the ring road for a 2nd time within 1 hour, you will charged for fee that is the same as 1 hour of parking in the CTA garages.

4. Relocate some airlines to facilitate transit. This is part of the reason behind Delta moving to T3... so it can co-locate with Virgin Atlantic in T2 and Air France in TBIT. And I like the plan to move Air Canada to T6 next to United as well. There are still a couple of airlines moves that will need to happen to really help put all three alliances on separate corners of LAX.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Here are the problems with LAX... all of them can be fixed relatively easily without wasting money on replacing anything "from the ground up".

1. AA Eagle remote terminal needs to go. I believe the plan is to move all AA Eagle flights to T5 once Delta moves to T3.

2. Airside connection on the north side terminals. With T3 rebuild, connectors to TBIT and T2 will be part of the plan.

3. Traffic congestion in the ring road. It's time for LAWA to really fix this issue. First, I would implement mode separation with bus, shuttle, taxi, and uber all using the upper roadway and private cars using the lower road way. That will eliminate 50% of the bus and shuttle traffic and reduce congestion. Second, I would install license plate readers at ring road entrance and charge drivers a fee for continuously circle the loop while waiting to pickup people rather than using the cell phone waiting lot - i.e. if you enter the ring road for a 2nd time within 1 hour, you will charged for fee that is the same as 1 hour of parking in the CTA garages.

4. Relocate some airlines to facilitate transit. This is part of the reason behind Delta moving to T3... so it can co-locate with Virgin Atlantic in T2 and Air France in TBIT. And I like the plan to move Air Canada to T6 next to United as well. There are still a couple of airlines moves that will need to happen to really help put all three alliances on separate corners of LAX.
Agreed. I think #3 can be done very easily. Im really not sure why it hasnt been done already

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you for saying this.

I don't know about most of you, but I try to spend the *least* amount of time at an airport. I always try to book direct flights so that when I get to my destination, I just go to the carousel, wait until I see my bag, and then get the hell out of there. I'm not one to walk around and admire "world class" airport architecture, or take my time to browse or shop at duty-free stores, or eat at "fine dining" restaurants inside an airport. When I do have a layover, I usually just park my ass as close as I can to my gate, within sight of the nearest restroom.

My only big complaint about LAX is the traffic on the ring road. Hopefully once the people-mover gets built, this will alleviate some of the traffic. It's such a clusterfuck with private vehicles, taxis and shuttle vans from the various hotels, car rental places, etc. I assume once the people-mover gets put in, this will remove at least the car rental shuttle vans.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation