HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Lisa Macleod is one of the largest blowhards ever - she talks to hear herself talk - rude and ignorant - can't wait to see this party defeated and hopefully her constituents will toss her
Macleod represents the riding of Nepean, which in the last federal election went Liberal by 16 points, so she's definitely vulnerable.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:07 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'm glad to see that a lot of craft brewers are coming out against buck a beer - Great Lakes in particular has a lot of clout in the industry. The government is literally encouraging companies to lose money with the vague promise of preferential treatment by the LCBO. Wonder who will end up taking advantage of that... Way to support one of the fastest growing industries in Ontario, Doug.

Buck a beer is back, but Doug Ford's plan for cheaper suds is falling flat with some brewers
Quote:
Finance Minister Vic Fideli noted the legislation will "reduce the floor" on beer sales and give brewers permission to sell their cans and bottles for $1 — pricing that has been illegal for a decade.

He added the PCs are offering "non-financial incentives" in the form of "buck-a-beer challenge" to encourage Ontario's 260 brewers to drop prices.

That challenge will give brewers promotions and advertising advantages at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, such as limited time discounts and in-store displays, that Ford called "priceless."

"Those who get there first will be recognized throughout the year," he said.

Great Lakes Brewery, a microbrewery in Toronto's Etobicoke neighbourhood, has been pouring suds for 31 years.

Spokesperson Troy Burtch explained that big beer companies like Mill Street, which is owned by Canadian beer giant Labatt, might be able to afford the extra costs.

But Great Lakes Brewery just can't justify it, he said, even with the proposed marketing incentives.

"If they give premium shelf space away to buck-a-beer companies through the government, that's taking money away from the LCBO that brewers like Great Lakes would purchase," Burtch said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...beer-1.4775959

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:37 AM
I am a typical

No one will take advantage of it, but judging by the Facebook comments, a lot of overweight white guys are thrilled that their man has delivered. Just as he delivered on lower gas prices by eliminating the carbon tax, right?

This doesn't help anyone, but it gives him the short term illusion that he did something good, and by saying "I'm inviting brewers to take part" instead of "I'm giving you $1 beer", he shifts the blame onto the brewing industry if buck-a-beer never materializes. It's quite a cunning move.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
No one will take advantage of it, but judging by the Facebook comments, a lot of overweight white guys are thrilled that their man has delivered. Just as he delivered on lower gas prices by eliminating the carbon tax, right?

This doesn't help anyone, but it gives him the short term illusion that he did something good, and by saying "I'm inviting brewers to take part" instead of "I'm giving you $1 beer", he shifts the blame onto the brewing industry if buck-a-beer never materializes. It's quite a cunning move.
I can't believe they'd have bothered with something so trivial unless they had had previous indications that some brewer wanted to take advantage of it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:45 PM

Doug is a crappy businessman and that shows in his "pro-business" policies (i.e. ripping up the Green Energy Act).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:51 PM

[double post]

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:14 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I can't believe they'd have bothered with something so trivial unless they had had previous indications that some brewer wanted to take advantage of it.
It has nothing to do with brewers. As I mentioned, a lot of the lowest common denominator types are thrilled with this. People voted for him because they wanted this. That's why he did it. He doesn't give a shit about what the industry wants, and he certainly doesn't give a shit one way or the other if it actually comes to fruition.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Even the Speaker, a PC member, said that Gilles Bisson did not make the comments - and he (the speaker) had his earpiece turned up. I really think this is an issue of Doug Ford not liking the member (Gilles Bisson) and fabricating this story. Bisson is one of the longest serving members (along with Arnold, the Speaker of the house), and knows the policies and procedures very well, and is able to use them to the advantage of the NDP - something Ford does not like. If it really was said, the people around him (including Andrea) and some of the SJW's who are seated around them would surely stand up for anti-racism, anti-discrimination. They have all said he didn't say anything. Finally, Bisson himself is not a native English speaker, his first language his French and he has an accent himself. Not saying that means you can't mock someone, but when you learn English yourself, there's an appreciation of other people doing the same. None of this adds up, and I really don't believe he did what he was accused of.
I've never really noticed that Bisson has an accent as I live in Timmins but he has what I call a francophone tinge. (a very very slight accent because he learned French first) He also speaks similar to many anglophone Quebecers.

Bisson certainly isn't racist and has always treated everybody with respect. I can't believe that Ford would stoop so low and accuse him of it. But Bisson is the NDP MPP who is most like Ford personality-wise and has a populist personality. If Bisson was NDP leader, Ford wouldn't be very comfortable.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
I don't have enough of a support network in Winnipeg, it's only asset is proximity but why would I want to be proximate to Ontario if I no longer have a tie to it?

My most likely destination if I do move will be Vancouver, as that's where I have relatives that I have a decent relationship with. But that won't do much to help my mom (who would have to go through an approval process to get disability support) or my brother's family (which would be incredibly difficult to relocate and likely not be able to do any better in BC), and the cost of living in Vancouver is higher than Thunder Bay. I'm middle class here; I'd be lower class in the same income bracket in that city.

Which sort of makes me feel bad for complaining; there isn't really anywhere "better" that I can go to from a fiscal perspective, but that's an argument that Ontarians didn't seem to get. Thunder Bay has the lowest cost of living in Canada, and Ontario's taxes are second lowest after BC (essentially tied with Alberta), we don't need someone to lower them. If anything, they need to be slightly higher. I'd rather pay 5% more tax to maintain what we've got and pay the debt down a little than move away. I'd still be paying 10% less than if I lived in Winnipeg.

But that's the thing: I'm a long term planner. I'm not looking at how things are going to be in my life six months or a year from now. What will the situation be in 3 years? God forbid he's re-elected, what will they be in six?

As for focusing energy on things I can change, I do do that, but supporting the Basic Income pilot project in Thunder Bay is one of those things and now it's been unilaterally taken away without much notice and contrary to his promises. How much of what I work for is going to be upended in the next 4 years? How much of my energy must be deviated away from community volunteering and towards political activism because his policies put our organization's very existence at risk, or at the very least set the people we're trying to help back to square one?

On the other hand, low income people are used to constant disappointment and set backs. A lot of them operate as if its inevitable. I grew up in that world, and the current political climate is bring that back out in me.
Would you ever consider moving to Timmins? (or somewhere else in Northeastern Ontario) There are a lot of employment opportunities here. The booming gold mines are mainly the reason. But I work for the federal government and there is hiring going on for our office and you don't have to be bilingual. It's NDP here so both Liberal and PC governments have screwed us big time for many years but at least there is virtually no unemployment.

Last edited by Loco101; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:37 AM
I am a typical

I don't think I would consider Timmins. It's like a lesser Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think I would consider Timmins. It's like a lesser Thunder Bay.
LOL!!! Yeah that's true.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:59 AM
I am a typical

Before I leave for a few days, let me just leave this here:

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/201...ario-beer-tax/

Beer taxes are going up in November, with no plan to decrease them.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:56 PM

And Bill 5 passes, 71-39, not surprisingly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:25 PM
I am a typical

It's a good thing they reverted the countries back to having appointed leaders. Directly electing people never works! For the people!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 PM
I am a typical

The government has "delayed" approval of a programme that provides before and after school daycare and programming to about 10% of Thunder Bay's school age children while the minister "reorients herself".

News Release

Quote:
(THUNDER BAY,ON): Today, Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon announced that the Minister of Education office indicated that there has been a delay in the decision to approve their proposal for the BIWAASE’AA program. For the last 14 years, Biwaase’aa has provided much needed educational, nutritional, emotional, recreational and cultural support to 1600+ children and youth in need in Thunder Bay.
Marilyn Junnila, Executive Director of Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon, said that she was informed that the delay of the proposal decision is due to the recent election and the need for the Minister of Education to orientate herself to her new portfolio and the proposals that they fund.
“This delay in funding approval by the Minister of Education is extremely unfortunate news for the children in Thunder Bay. Our programming currently supports over 1600+ Indigenous and non-Indigenous children per month in seven local elementary schools and one high-school. Without this funding, prior to the beginning of the school year we are forced to discontinue or delay start-up of the program leaving these children and their families in a vulnerable position. We are deeply saddened that it has come to this particularly because these children depend on us, but at this point in time, we do not have any other option,” she said.
What a weird coincidence it is that everything they've been de-funding up here has ties to low income people. Maybe if we tell them carbon emissions are only created by the poor they'll start taxing it?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:42 PM

It's being reported that the Region of Waterloo has already lost "millions" in provincial funding due to policy changes under this government:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...-more-at-risk/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:22 AM
I am a typical

For the people!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
The government has "delayed" approval of a programme that provides before and after school daycare and programming to about 10% of Thunder Bay's school age children while the minister "reorients herself".

News Release

What a weird coincidence it is that everything they've been de-funding up here has ties to low income people. Maybe if we tell them carbon emissions are only created by the poor they'll start taxing it?
I'm starting to go back to wanting Northern Ontario to be its own province.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
For the people!!
No, for the People. The list of people who are not People seems to be growing ...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario