HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Total immigration per year is higher than that, however, is it not? Immigrants still land in Quebec under federal programs, or so I thought. Or is that the Quebec and federal intake combined?
Couldn't tell you, I haven't yet paid the slightest bit of attention to politics; there's still an eternity (two full weeks) between now and e-day. I'll start to look into candidates/platforms/promises when the election ceases to be so far into the future.

(and yes, FWIW, I'm deliberately trying to drive home another point of mine here )

I have the 50k number in my head, but maybe that's only the number we control, as you suggest.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:21 AM

If we had a better system it might be more important. You can just read the bullet points of the parties the next before the election and that's pretty much as you are informed as you are going to get about what you are voting for.

99% of the MNA's getting elected are irrelevant. just how it is.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:23 AM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Couldn't tell you, I haven't yet paid the slightest bit of attention to politics; there's still an eternity (two full weeks) between now and e-day. I'll start to look into candidates/platforms/promises when the election ceases to be so far into the future.

(and yes, FWIW, I'm deliberately trying to drive home another point of mine here )

I have the 50k number in my head, but maybe that's only the number we control, as you suggest.
50k is both federal and provincial.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:25 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

Not a particularly good point, tbh.

Anyways excited for the shitshow this thread is destined to become.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Not a particularly good point, tbh.
Well, my angle here is that I genuinely think weeks is an eternity in politics; I have not adopted this opinion just to annoy you or be contrarian. I'd have said the same thing had you asked last year or the year before that.

(Even in municipal politics; everyone in Sherbrooke last time - November 2017 - expected the mayor and his party to be pretty easily reelected, then at the last minute people decided to vote for the new guy and the mayor and his party both bit the dust pretty hard; only two Councillors of that party survived the flush.)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 1:17 AM

May as well shut down the Justin Trudeau thread. We have a new home for all of SSP Canada's thinly veiled racism.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 1:34 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by once View Post
Is this how québécois are talked about on this forum? This is insulting, patronizing, and pompous.
I happen to find fear mongering, intolerant, xenophobes to be insulting. So I mean, to each their own.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
May as well shut down the Justin Trudeau thread. We have a new home for all of SSP Canada's thinly veiled racism.
Discussing adjustments to immigration thresholds is racism? I can't help but wonder what planet some of you are from.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I happen to find fear mongering, intolerant, xenophobes to be insulting. So I mean, to each their own.
What does that have to do with this thread? The only people talking racism are not from quebec? You are poisoning the well.

Instead of celebrating our democracy and being able to take immigration policies into our own hands to decide the best course of action, you are demonizing people for thinking differently than you about the topic.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:14 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

If you are not a resident of Quebec, do you think your home-province should adopt a similar policy (mutatis mutandis)?

Should it be done federally?
NO! And HELL NO!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:16 AM

This thread is actually either misplaced or redundant.

If it's meant as an Ongoing Quebec Election Discussion thread, then it should be in the Quebec subforum.

If it's meant as an Immigration/Integration Discussion thread, then there was already such a thread among the currently active ones.

Imagine an alarmist Canada section thread titled "Jason Kenney about to be elected Premier by the planet-destroying rubes of Alberta" for all kinds of clueless morons from thousands of km away to comment in, versus simply having a "Next Alberta Election" discussion thread in the Alberta subforum for informed Albertans to discuss among themselves.

I find the latter to be the right way for this forum to run... but then maybe that's just me

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:28 AM
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
This thread is actually either misplaced or redundant.

If it's meant as an Ongoing Quebec Election Discussion thread, then it should be in the Quebec subforum.

If it's meant as an Immigration/Integration Discussion thread, then there was already such a thread among the currently active ones.

Imagine an alarmist Canada section thread titled "Jason Kenney about to be elected Premier by the planet-destroying rubes of Alberta" for all kinds of clueless morons from thousands of km away to comment in, versus simply having a "Next Alberta Election" discussion thread in the Alberta subforum for informed Albertans to discuss among themselves.

I find the latter to be the right way for this forum to run... but then maybe that's just me
But once you put it under the Quebec forum, it's gonna be mostly in French, and not everyone on SSP is good with French.

Ps: At this point, I think CAQ might lose... They started so high though...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:30 AM

One interesting additional point is that the CAQ has also proposed administering a values test. I'm not clear on the specifics, but I think the newcomer will be subject to the values test after three years of living in the province, probably around the same time as the French language exam. I would think failing the values test would result in expulsion.

Should other provinces consider holding values tests on newcomers after a specified number of years and expelling those who fail?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by once View Post
What does that have to do with this thread? The only people talking racism are not from quebec? You are poisoning the well.

Instead of celebrating our democracy and being able to take immigration policies into our own hands to decide the best course of action, you are demonizing people for thinking differently than you about the topic.
I think it is good that Quebec has autonomy over its affairs and that the people of Quebec are deciding for themselves the best course of action for Quebec. However, I don't think such procedural validity inoculates the province or its people from outsiders discussing the merits of proposed policies or their suitability for other parts of the country.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:39 AM

How can an outsider talk intelligibly about such things ? A chicken might as well give a dissertation on what it means to be a bat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:41 AM

Quote:
However, I don't think such procedural validity inoculates the province or its people from outsiders discussing the merits of proposed policies or their suitability for other parts of the country.
Sure, as long as the participants accept to abide by the quote in the sig of SSP Moderator Shawn:

'You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.'

Quote:
You've never been to the quebec subforum have you? skyscraper talk isn't the place to discuss quebec politics. It's clear from this thread.

Quote:
One interesting additional point is that the CAQ has also proposed administering a values test. I'm not clear on the specifics, but I think the newcomer will be subject to the values test after three years of living in the province, probably around the same time as the French language exam. I would think failing the values test would result in expulsion.

Should other provinces consider holding values tests on newcomers after a specified number of years and expelling those who fail?
I have to wonder how many people seriously think people would "fail" such a test? You'd have to be pretty slow not to grasp what the expected answers are. Unless they are thinking of something more scientific like lie-detector tests ...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Ps: At this point, I think CAQ might lose... They started so high though...
It all depends on J-F Lisée, who is, I must admit, quite good and has nothing to lose.

About 85% of francophone Québécois can't stand Couillard, and that isn't changing - the only question is, what will the FPTP map look like on e-day.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
It all depends on J-F Lisée, who is, I must admit, quite good and has nothing to lose.

About 85% of francophone Québécois can't stand Couillard, and that isn't changing - the only question is, what will the FPTP map look like on e-day.
Lisée got a bit of a "bump" from the debate, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada