HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:16 AM
No Respect

new I-10 bridge

Jacksonville's bridge ,lit up, looks good! But will the old Mobilians geaux for it?

"Thank ya Mississippi , Without you we be #50!"

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou15 View Post

Yeah, i can see it helping our skyline
Forget the skyline, actual block development/density is a higher priority. There needs to be more activity at the ground level. I couldn't care less about some stupid 800 foot tall skyscraper if it is setback 1,000 feet from the streetfront and surrounded by a banal concrete sculptural garden.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:32 AM
amateur urbanite

Sure, but that thing just doesn't look at home in our downtown. Add a couple stories, at least, and give it architectual interest and balconies. Put a couple shops (more likely restaraunts) on the ground level. You're good to go.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 5:49 AM

^The architecture will probably be modified to fit in with the area's historical context. I doubt they will drop a standard cookie-cutter suburban box in Downtown. I don't think we have any hotels/motels like that within the Hank Aaron Loop.

Last edited by NitekKetin; Jun 19, 2009 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 6:03 AM
amateur urbanite

I hope you're right. But, then again, when new houses were built south of downtown, just before you hit canal, they built them to look like new houses, like the ones in West Mobile. That made me a little mad. Let's hope something like that doesn't happen again.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 6:36 AM

^If I'm picturing the site correctly, then this project is essentially a renovation of an existing modern building.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
I hope you're right. But, then again, when new houses were built south of downtown, just before you hit canal, they built them to look like new houses, like the ones in West Mobile. That made me a little mad. Let's hope something like that doesn't happen again.

The MLK development director, has said that any new houses will reflect the architecture of the Camp Hill neighborhood

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 1:21 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

That thing is ugly I hope they do modify it !! To see more hotels being built downtown surely is a good sign. I would rather see a Hyatt downtown than that but any development downtown is good to me.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
^If I'm picturing the site correctly, then this project is essentially a renovation of an existing modern building.
the old American National Bank has been torn down- nothing on the site now

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 4:52 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenaVista View Post
The MLK development director, has said that any new houses will reflect the architecture of the Camp Hill neighborhood

I`ve read in one article that the old Camp Hill neighborhood still has some of the shot gun houses (free slaves or just slaves can`t remember which one ) are still standing today.

Bayou : It`s not about the old Mobilians anymore and there closed way of thinking ! Jacksonville`s sky line isn`t all that grand for a city or metro it`s size and that bridge did much for it. Our bridge will be taller and more grand and it will be a great addition to our skyline.

No offense to Jacksonville just an opinion

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:14 PM

I definitely think any new bridge has to be lit and be a focal point for the skyline. I just wasnt a fan of Mayor Jones suggestion to light it like RSA in multicolored, color changing lights. I think we have enough of that for now.
I don't mind the bridge in Jville, but ours will be MUCH taller so I don't know how comparable that is.
As for that hotel, Im pretty sure they will so something that at least sort of fits in downtown. It is the same developers that did the Hampton Inn and the city required them to be sensitive to the historic nature of downtown. I think they did a pretty good job. Noone would walk by and think that had always been on that corner, but it doesn't look to modern (I think it is pretty awesome there).
And CampHill definitely still has some original structures. Part of the mayors plan is to try to get that area/Africatown designate as a historic district. In order for a district to be recognized it must have more than 50% of its original structures and can only have so much vacant land, so obviously there must be a pretty good many old structures over that way for them to try to puch this.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:50 PM

But.....leik Mobi1e needz m0r3 towerz. LOLZ XD!1111!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 2:30 AM

Seriously, what the Downtown area needs to improve upon is the parking situation. We need more aesthetically pleasing parking structures throughout the CBD, to handle the demand for parking. Developments could incorporate multi-level structures that feature quality ground-level commercial spaces.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:43 AM
All things are possible

Van Antwerp Building

Tonight, the wife and I went down to Serda's for a nice after dinner coffee. While walking along Royal Street I got a good look at the view from the Van Antwerp Building as seen from the Corner of Dauphin and Royal. This has got to be the best view you can get of the main CBD and waterfront. That place just screams "make me condos". Please, one of you with millions to spare, renovate the Van Antwerp and make it the the premier downtown address it should be. Any takers?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:46 AM
No Respect

Quote:
Forget the skyline, actual block development/density is a higher priority. There needs to be more activity at the ground level. I couldn't care less about some stupid 800 foot tall skyscraper if it is setback 1,000 feet from the streetfront and surrounded by a banal concrete sculptural garden.

Ok..........And what is the name of this web site?

Quote:
I couldn't care less about some stupid 800 foot tall skyscraper
U meant could care less?

On the bridge, i neaux Mobile's will be taller, i was thinking about the color scheme
"Thank ya Mississippi , Without you we be #50!"

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 4:59 AM
amateur urbanite

Yes, there are still riginal shot guns down there.

I agree about a bridge, let's hold off on anything multicolored for right now. I uniform blue or green or something would be nice.

Blessed, if only I could...

As for parking, I've actually never had much of a problem finding a spot downtown. Of course, though, as traffic increases down there, and more development happens, parking will need to be addressed, as will asthetically pleasing structures.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:17 AM
All things are possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
Yes, there are still riginal shot guns down there.

I agree about a bridge, let's hold off on anything multicolored for right now. I uniform blue or green or something would be nice.

Blessed, if only I could...

As for parking, I've actually never had much of a problem finding a spot downtown. Of course, though, as traffic increases down there, and more development happens, parking will need to be addressed, as will asthetically pleasing structures.
Where exactly is this Camp Hill? Name a few of the streets in the area. I want to go have a look. Nouv...you see the potential of that building. Get some of your rich friends and relatives to make it happen. For all your hard work and effort you will get the penthouse suite.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:24 AM
amateur urbanite

I'm not familiar with the "Camp Hill" area either, but I know where there are shot guns, so maybe I know the area but not the name.

Hmm, if only I was in with the richer crowds. A penthouse in that building sounds pretty good, I could have Serda's every morning. Surely someone will grab it up when everything picks back up.. which should be fairly soon for us apparently.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou15 View Post
Ok..........And what is the name of this web site?

U meant could care less?

On the bridge, i neaux Mobile's will be taller, i was thinking about the color scheme
No, I don't mean 'I could care less'. If I say that, that implies that I have some degree of care towards the subject I'm actually against.

Don't let the name of the site fool you, as it is a community discussion for all aspects of the built environment.....not just skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
Where exactly is this Camp Hill? Name a few of the streets in the area. I want to go have a look. Nouv...you see the potential of that building. Get some of your rich friends and relatives to make it happen. For all your hard work and effort you will get the penthouse suite.

Camp Hill is also know as Camp Ground. I know of a few ways to get to it,If you take MLK Avenue west on the left side like the Bishop State side is considerd Camp Hill. Springhill Avenue going downtown at 5 points(near the closed Churches Chicken) just make a left on Ann street and it will also take you into Camp Hill.You will also see a sign that says Welcome to the Camp Hill historic district. Also you can just take Govt st east and make a left on Ann street north just keep going straight once you cross Springhill Avenue past the closed Churches Chicken then your in Camp Hill.

I hope that helps !

Speaking of Van Antwerp did you guys know that, that building is the first skyscraper in the south east and was the tallest in the south east. I see Mobile has a history of building the tallest in Alabama !!

Guys Bayou mean no harm he`s just a skyscraper maniac thats all .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast