HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

1481 Post in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:26 AM
S.F. needs more Neon.

^^ Looks like in one of there commuity meetings there were people complaing about it being to tall.

If they are trying to creat a Japanese feel then why not build it big?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:44 PM

I heard that a representative from the developer of this building would be at the Japantown Better Neighborhood Plan Workshop meeting held this past Saturday, December 1st. Did anyone atttend it and if you did, do you have anything to report? Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:51 AM
Pizza Pizza

hey is this supposed to be across from the big church? near japantown? if so this would look even better! =DDD

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 9:31 PM
Green Berniecrat

To revive a dormant topic, this from Socketsite.com:

The Quote:

ADCO is proposing a 38-story, elliptical-shaped glass building with five levels of underground parking. Market-rate condominiums would be built on top of the tennis courts and next door to a residence for seniors. The street that gently slopes downward to the Japantown malls would also undergo major reconstruction, including new condominiums by owner 3D Investments.

At the current height, the 1481 Post Street project would be the tallest building in the neighborhood, an issue of concern to neighborhood residents. “The height of your building will set the tone for the rest of Post Street going west,” said Sandy Mori, president of the Japantown Task Force, referring to proposals by 3D Investments. “Right now [3D Investments’] highest building is as tall as Hotel Kabuki, which is reasonable in my personal opinion.”

[ADCO Group representative Linda Corso] indicated a willingness to modify the design of the building and reduce the height to move the project forward, perhaps due to public pressure. “We’re going to take all the input from tonight back to our design team and get back to you hopefully in a month or so,” Corso said.

The housing nonprofit that owns and operates the 26-story high-rise next door to the proposed ADCO project has hired a political consultant and sent out a mailing opposing the glass building. They received 600 responses by mail out of 7,000 pieces delivered.

And our reader's response (with which we quite agree):

"Please let this SOM building rise up; it's not going to work as a short cylinder. This is a perfectly-scaled building."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:01 PM

Why are NIMBYs so crazy?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Why are NIMBYs so crazy?
How would you like to wake up one morning with 400' high rises buildings on all four sides of your house?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
How would you like to wake up one morning with 400' high rises buildings on all four sides of your house?
"400' high rises buildings on all four sides of your house." Don't be overly dramatic. This is ONE 400' tower in a neighborhood of existing high-rises. This is more about (selfish) residents afraid of losing their PRIVATE views. This is the top of Cathedral Hill, and it should be crowned with a elegant tower like 1481 Post.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive View Post
"400' high rises buildings on all four sides of your house." Don't be overly dramatic. This is ONE 400' tower in a neighborhood of existing high-rises. This is more about (selfish) residents afraid of losing their PRIVATE views. This is the top of Cathedral Hill, and it should be crowned with a elegant tower like 1481 Post.
There are currently four high rises, proposed or approved, ranging from 240' to 400', east on Van Ness, north on Pine, west on Octavia, and south on O'Farrell of Saint Mary's Cathedral, so I am hardly overly dramatic...

If you look at a contour map, Cathedral Hill may be the name given to the neighborhood after its urban renewal, but it is a bit of a misnomer. Topographically, it is really a plateau, with the top of the hill at Lafayette Park.

None of these projects would adversely affect my views but I am concerned about them because they would not improve the urban fabric of my neighborhood, which has been badly damaged through an insensitive urban renewal fourty years ago and badly needs repair.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Mar 24, 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 12:48 AM

As anyone familiar with my thinking will surmise, I am not the person posting under the name nequidnemis (different spelling), on socketsite.com

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
If your "house" was a 26-story highrise like the building next door which seems to be the focus of most of the objections, I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on. As a matter of fact, even at its much greater height, this would be a far more attractive building than the home of the NIMBYs next door.

As for other highrises, I think Geary east of Webster is a perfect place for more housing density. It's got great (and getting even better with BRT) public transportation and it fits with the Planning Department's desire to put highrises on top of hills rather than in valleys. You can say "Cathedral Hill" isn't exactly the highest point around if you wish, but it's a place where highrises would emphasize the land contour rather than minimize it which is the objective.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:52 AM

No my "house" is at the Post International http://www.mbharch.com/portfolio/housing/post/post.htm a building whose scale and design I consider a good fit for the neighborhood.

However, the side of Post street across the proposed tower counts several three story townhouses, including some Victorians near Gough, and I submit the tower silo design is not sympathetic to those. That's one thing I like about the Post International: Along Post street, where it faces a Victorian, it is contemporary but steps down to four stories.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Mar 25, 2008 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 5:09 AM

Reminds me of the Murano in Philadelphia somewhat.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:51 PM

Updates...

What is the current plan for this site?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 9:20 AM

hmm look what i found on adco group's website:

"1481 Post Street
San Francisco, California

ADCO is finalizing an Environmental Impact Report and entitlements to build an elegant tower at this ADCO owned site. Located adjacent to the Cathedral Hill Apartments and opposite St. Mary's Cathedral, the planned 235 residential condominiums will offer unparalleled views of the surrounding community and exceptional amenities."

this is rather disappointing...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 7:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

sigh.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 9:15 PM
Green Berniecrat

Is this really what the original design turned into? That's a shame really because it was so visually striking. This on the other hand, while not completely ugly, does not come even close to the other design. Oh well, what can you do.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:06 AM
BANNED

FYI- this project is not dead and is quite active. A high powered source confirmed this to me recently.

OH GOD I just saw the rendering of the newest proposal. Yuck! I may be against this because now it is definitely a monstrosity.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:33 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_strangelove View Post
FYI- this project is not dead and is quite active. A high powered source confirmed this to me recently.

OH GOD I just saw the rendering of the newest proposal. Yuck! I may be against this because now it is definitely a monstrosity.
Yeah...why do we have to dumb down every design here? Even worse, many projects don't look as good after they're completed as the cheapened renderings that were released prior to construction.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 7:01 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

That new rendering is a huge dissapointment.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 2:37 AM

I guess they were advised to add bay windows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals