HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

17 Ewen Road in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:16 PM

1223 Main Street West | ?m | 8s

From Urban Toronto: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...hitects.35990/

1223 Main Street West: a design concept for a 8-storey mixed-use residential and commercial building designed by Curran Gacesa Slote Architects for Scholar Properties on the south side of Main Street West, west of Dalewood Avenue and east of Stroud Road in Hamilton's Ainslie Wood neighbourhood.

Renderings from CGS https://cgsarch.ca/1223-main-street-west:

A design concept for an 8 floor, 87 unit residential building as an urban infill project, with a significant emphasis on sustainability. Commercial units occupy the focal corner space and along Main Street with a sheltered terrace as an animator. A large rooftop garden at the 8th floor is designed for urban farming as a natural amenity and food source for residents. Ground floor apartments are buffered from the street and face a landscaped amenity garden. Each have private gardens.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 5:47 PM

Wow that looks pretty interesting!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 6:45 PM

This rendering shows the old dressed stone and slate roof hydro sub-station as not there. It would be a shame to lose it. I’ve always been a fan of this oldie. Not sure what the destruction of one of these entails but seems expensive. Idk.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 7:35 PM

Hate the combination of three different exterior cladding. These projects are far cleaner with just one.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Hate the combination of three different exterior cladding. These projects are far cleaner with just one.
There's like 5 or 6 different materials. My understanding is that this is a "design concept" not really a proposal yet.

Would be nice to see something proposed here though along with their other "design proposal" further down Main.

I agree that losing the old sub station would be unfortunate. It's a great example of a hidden utility building. If they were to remove it, it would either have to be relocated for made part of the development.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Hopefully the proposal is a lot less busy. I do like the grey block sections, and the glass on the corner (though it could do without the fins on top)

Nice rooftop too. But I imagine that would be one of the first things to be changed in a re-design.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:39 PM

Image number 1 would be the view from the future 1190 main west McMaster residence tower and number 2 standing in front on street level and the residence is seen across the street in image 3.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

There is FAR too much going on in this. I miss when a buildings material looks like what it was actually structurally built from and not just vomited all over the building. Far too busy.

This feels like something I'd make in fallout 4 or fallout 76.

Still, I must give kudos to that roof resign - all that greenery looks AMAZING. I would LOVE to see every new roof of every new development basically be a reclaimed footprint of whatever nature was there before the building was plopped on the property - imagine if from birds eye everything looked the same as if nothing had been built there - just endless nature, with walkways between buildings like one massive park.

Hell even if every apartment/condo had a roof area to grow crops and stuff - I wish I had that in mine.

A lot of these feel like amateur designers - one thing they should always do is put themselves in the viewers shoes and ask themselves "what am I supposed to be looking at here?" - Every new build should have something that takes the viewers focus. At this point my focus is sooorta on the big glass tower because like anything chaotic you are going to look at the one sane thing in it - but their super reflective render makes that even hard to focus on. There is no need to be THAT accurate in reflecting the nearby buildings imo.

Still, the roof design, awesome, inspiring even. Hell even the triangular parts on the glass condo - finally something other than GODDAMN RECTANGLES! I am SO sick of seeing builds that are entirely rectangles, its a designers death.

Also there are FAR too many windows too close to each other crammed into this thing.. makes it look alien.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 5:24 PM

Yeah this is going to be a Waterloo-inspired cheapo student project. This is pretty clearly over designed to compensate for the cheapness.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton