HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 1:38 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
But...asking for more and more parking IS anti-density and anti-urban...

Can someone please ask these people at the next meeting - where do you park now?

A) "on the street" - ok, so you are part of the problem, and you don't own those spots. Rent a space, walk, or use transit more.
B) "I have a garage spot" - ok, so why do you care?
C) "my visitors need to park" - ok, see A above. A-hole.

Exactly.......it takes so little critical thought to come to the right conclusion here......last night, there was a woman sitting right in front of me, who I believe had been quietly expressing pro-parking sentiment during the night.......after I was cut-off for the final time by Ayersman, she turned around to me and said something to the effect of 'You know what, that's a really good point, I hadn't even thought of it that way before'. I replied "But it's common sense". She comes back "I thought I had common sense before" Not really, ma'am.........it's like people don't take the 90 seconds it takes to actually think through and follow the true, logical implications of their default positions on issues......

Is there not a more perfect example in the economy and society at large in which 'If you build it, they will come', then parking and roads........generally speaking, auto congestion is not a problem you can build your way out of with infrastructure and facilities that encourage.......more autos in an area (funny enough, such leads to more congestion, not less, as a general rule).....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:09 PM
you know where I'll be

SCB-designed Two-Tower project at Cermak/Wabash

BVic, or anyone else who was also in attendance at PDNA yesterday, how did this one go - the hotel/residential project at Cermak and Wabash? Had to jet just prior to them beginning the presentation.

From what we've seen thus far, the design looks quite nice I think......

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:41 PM
BANNED

you nailed it Sam...if a fraction of road dollars would go to sidewalks, BRT, trains, wayfinding etc., then the need to drive goes down (so long as it's supported by place-making and density). that density brings walkable services to every main street.

We just cannot out-suburb the suburbs...ban the stripmalls now!

the new model is more about car storage then it is about parking. I have a car and live in wicker park - I use it 1x week maximum...but i'm glad i have it still, but don't incent me to use it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
She wants to have conversation or already has had conversation about the neighborhood using the proposed garage that the Park District will be building west of LSD for the neighborhood when not being used by the Bears, which is a great idea.
No, not really. The existing McCormick Place garage on Cermak is available to neighborhood residents. But I'm looking out my window at it right now and don't see a single car on the top floor.

Most of the people at that meeting complaining about parking live closer to Roosevelt and wouldn't use either garage. If there were some magical garage to meet the community "need" it would exist between Michigan and Indiana and between 13th and 16th.

The proposed garage is completely useless for capacity purposes except for a couple days a year when the Lucas Museum, Soldier Field, and McCormick Place are all having something happening at the same exact time. The financials are never going to pencil out. PDNA is in favor of the garage because it will pull a lot of cars out of the McCormick Place garage on Cermak, reducing the number of pedestrians clogging the streets going to and from the garage on game days.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post

Source: SOM
Wish this style of building was in vogue

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
No, not really. The existing McCormick Place garage on Cermak is available to neighborhood residents. But I'm looking out my window at it right now and don't see a single car on the top floor.

Most of the people at that meeting complaining about parking live closer to Roosevelt and wouldn't use either garage. If there were some magical garage to meet the community "need" it would exist between Michigan and Indiana and between 13th and 16th.

The proposed garage is completely useless for capacity purposes except for a couple days a year when the Lucas Museum, Soldier Field, and McCormick Place are all having something happening at the same exact time. The financials are never going to pencil out. PDNA is in favor of the garage because it will pull a lot of cars out of the McCormick Place garage on Cermak, reducing the number of pedestrians clogging the streets going to and from the garage on game days.

Ah, the dreaded specter of 'pedestrians in the streets'......in an urban setting, no less.......I mean, the humanity!!

(as an aside, actually the most ridiculous thing anyone in the audience said all meeting was toward the beginning - crime rundown - when this douche in the back suggested that the police essentially quarantine people (who may go on to commit crimes in the South Loop) in their neighborhoods to keep them from pillaging the Prairie District.......as ridiculous as it was, the officer actually was quite, umm, respectful in his response, going into a bit about usage of predictive analytics and resulting strategy and tactics (which is a real thing, but was not at all what this guy was actually talking about).....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
BVic, or anyone else who was also in attendance at PDNA yesterday, how did this one go - the hotel/residential project at Cermak and Wabash? Had to jet just prior to them beginning the presentation.

From what we've seen thus far, the design looks quite nice I think......
No complaints on this one.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:11 AM
Chicago

Next at 347 West Chestnut

October 21, 2015

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:22 AM
Chicago

No. 9 Walton

October 21, 2015

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:42 AM
Chicago

833 North Clark

October 21, 2015

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:53 AM

Are the projects above going to have their own dedicated threads? Just wanted to know so I could follow their progress.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:56 AM
Chicago

720 North LaSalle "HoJo Tower"

October 21, 2015

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:11 AM
Chicago

4 East Elm

October 21, 2015

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:07 AM

Great coverage Solarwind!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:26 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah, great updates, solar.

Any movement yet on Gino's East demo?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Any movement yet on Gino's East demo?
None. It's the damnedest thing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Wish this style of building was in vogue
Agreed. Though, it would be hard to rationalize this structural system and corresponding form. I'm not sure the cost of the complex core and cantilevering volumes is recouped by the savings of having no perimeter columns. The minimized footprint is really the only benefit I can see, which would only be valuable in the most land-scarce areas (like Hong Kong).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
None. It's the damnedest thing.
At this point the Ed Debevic's tower will start construction before Gino's, crazy eh?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:46 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Sure seems that way.

I like that we have developers like a JDL that are very fast movers on their projects - at least from first public inkling that they've got a project in the works at a certain site, through pandermanic process, entitlements, permits and construction - all very efficient and altogether quick.......a major contrast to other developers that have a more 'average' timeline from public 'unveiling' or leaking through groundbreaking, and then of course there are others which have specific projects but move at such a glacial pace it's almost semi-landbanking in a way.......some of this difference is of course project-specific, but there also are definite differences on average according to developer......it's just nice that you have this almost nice positive 'surprise' element with project from a JDL - they're like a machine thus far this cycle.....

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
No complaints on this one.

Nice......I'm really looking forward to this imminent south loop/near south side boom.....really.....all the way from I-55 ramps to Congress/Printer's Row.....

And, interesting that another new hotel may be on its way to greater McCormick-land with this project. Hotel development has actually surprised me to the downside this year - as far as new project announcements/launches. Sure, launch of Marriott Marquis is big, as it will be one of the larger hotels in the greater core, but I'd have thought we'd have an additional few new ones surface this year, given how tremendously strong hotel performance data have been (despite the new supply being added thus far this cycle).....I've got to think we're on the cusp of at least a few - if not a half-dozen or so - significant new project announcements (or construction starts in cases where zoning may already be in place).....I know they're out there........next 6 months I'd say we'll see more activity kicking-up in hotel development......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations