HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Giovinco, he got hurt yesterday.
Cramping. He'll be able to play in MLS Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Only 324K for a massively-hyped Conference Finals match? That seems way too low, I'd have expected at least 500K.
Anything above 250K is good for Fox Sports.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Cramping. He'll be able to play in MLS Cup.

Especially since it was between two Canadian teams.

I wonder how other such games draw on US TV when both clubs are American.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, I assumed the game was on NBCSN.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:06 PM
ハルウララ

Rumour floating around right now is that there's interest from 12 cities coast to coast for the first season of the Canadian Premier League, presumably 2018. We'll find out either today or tomorrow if the CSA ratifies 2018 as the start date.

Of those 12, three are definitely Edmonton, Ottawa, and Hamilton.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Rumour floating around right now is that there's interest from 12 cities coast to coast for the first season of the Canadian Premier League, presumably 2018. We'll find out either today or tomorrow if the CSA ratifies 2018 as the start date.

Of those 12, three are definitely Edmonton, Ottawa, and Hamilton.
Amway Cup should be interesting in 2-3 years with all these new teams.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 3:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Amway Cup should be interesting in 2-3 years with all these new teams.
Voyageurs Cup definitely has the potential to be more interesting and compelling with the inclusion of CPL teams. The CSA's been planning on opening it up to more teams regardless of CPL or not so it'll be interesting to see how they plan to do earlier stages of Voyageurs or implement the CPL teams into the structure of it overall. I don't think every team should be included but I think including 2-4 of the highest ranked teams in CPL would be neat. If there's 12 teams in the CPL and only the top four qualify yearly for the Voyageurs Cup I think it gives good incentive for teams finishing the season somewhere mid-field as well as for teams making pushes into the playoffs.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 8:09 PM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

So it looks like we have info on another one of the cities that will be hosting a pro soccer franchise of the new Canadian Premier League (Halifax):

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-spo...halifax-483627

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...o-fc-1.3888554

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:51 PM
ハルウララ

The Halifax bid sounds more like an expansion hopeful than an initial team in the league, depending on how temporary they view their stadium and how quickly they could get that settled and built. Knowing Halifax Council, and the vast number of NIMBYs in that city, i'd be shocked if it was approved prior to the presumed start date of 2018 for the CPL.

In saying that, the (mostly) confirmed cities for CPL so far are Hamilton, Ottawa, and Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
The Halifax bid sounds more like an expansion hopeful than an initial team in the league, depending on how temporary they view their stadium and how quickly they could get that settled and built. Knowing Halifax Council, and the vast number of NIMBYs in that city, i'd be shocked if it was approved prior to the presumed start date of 2018 for the CPL.
There was a soccer-oriented stadium proposal presented to Halifax regional council a few years ago. There are still some renderings kicking around: http://www.ceiarchitecture.com/tag/stadium/

Architects have gotten a lot of business over the years making renderings for various Halifax stadium proposals.

The city ended up not moving forward with the bid for the FIFA Women's World Cup because the provincial and federal governments wouldn't provide any funding. The stadium would have cost in the $60-70M range and would have had 10,000-14,000 permanent seats. It would have had the ability to expand to a temporary or permanent capacity of 20,000-30,000 depending on the configuration.

Still, a project like this would be very easy for the city take on if the political will were there. There is also a private group working on funding a stadium. I think a $250-300M stadium would be a tall order for the city and is probably a poor use of funds but $60M is a smaller project that is easier to fund, even if there aren't a lot of other partners. It's too bad that nobody seems to be involving the universities in this, or that they don't seem interested.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:40 PM

For tomorrows game it will be a chilly -5 with a windchill of -12. With so many northern teams they should consider adjusting the schedule so the play offs end mid November.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 7:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was a soccer-oriented stadium proposal presented to Halifax regional council a few years ago. There are still some renderings kicking around: http://www.ceiarchitecture.com/tag/stadium/

Architects have gotten a lot of business over the years making renderings for various Halifax stadium proposals.

The city ended up not moving forward with the bid for the FIFA Women's World Cup because the provincial and federal governments wouldn't provide any funding. The stadium would have cost in the $60-70M range and would have had 10,000-14,000 permanent seats. It would have had the ability to expand to a temporary or permanent capacity of 20,000-30,000 depending on the configuration.

Still, a project like this would be very easy for the city take on if the political will were there. There is also a private group working on funding a stadium. I think a $250-300M stadium would be a tall order for the city and is probably a poor use of funds but $60M is a smaller project that is easier to fund, even if there aren't a lot of other partners. It's too bad that nobody seems to be involving the universities in this, or that they don't seem interested.
I guess the biggest difference with this new CPL bid is that it's not seeking government funding at any level. They're either very comfortable with the private backing they're receiving and how the team will fare financially or they're being overly ambitious.

I think a 6-8K stadium which is mostly temporary might be an easier sell in urban Halifax than a larger-scale, more permanent 20-25K stadium. Perhaps i'm wrong on this - you would know better than I in regards to the feeling on the ground on that matter. Would you be under the impression that the World Cup bid stadium failed because of a lack of government funding, disinterest at the local level for that stadium to exist, or a combination of the two? My biggest concern are NIMBYs who'll deny everything because they want to pretend their 300K urban area is really a 500 person fishing village where nothing should interrupt their view and everyone should be home and quiet by 5PM.

I agree with the University aspect. Whomever is privately financing this must be fairly comfortable and confident in their plan that they either don't think they need University partnership or think they'll be better off without it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:00 PM

Here is a look at the Soccer Specific Stadiums coming within the next 2 years.

Orlando City Stadium- Opening Date: 2017

Banc of California Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

Minnesota United Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

DC United Stadium - Opening Date: 2018

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:25 PM

Nevermind

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:02 AM

Seattle wins in Toronto!!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:18 AM
ハルウララ

If people didn't think Toronto was officially cursed as a sports city before today they must surely think that now.

Thought it was an ok final. Fans and stadium looked great, game had some high points and the referee was fair throughout. Gutted for TFC but it happens.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:18 AM

Not sure what Vanney was thinking subbing off Giovinco..

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
He was awful most of the match and the Seattle defence easily had him covered. Ricketts had better opportunities in his limited time on field and didn't give up the ball in the process.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Giovinco was limping and asked to be subbed.
He hasn't looked like himself since his mid season injury.
I think the off season will serve him well.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 4:29 AM

Quote:
If people didn't think Toronto was officially cursed as a sports city before today they must surely think that now.
The drought continues. 23 years and counting.

It was a good run and they definitely increased their fanbase in Toronto and Ontario. Would've been nice to win it though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada