HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 7:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Woah! That small brick textured building looks great. I don't get why you didn't from the start! You're an amazing photographer! I like seeing your Chicago pictures in the Spire/Trump threads. All your textures are yours right?
All my textures are mine? What do you mean, were you trying to say instead if all those pictures were mine and if thats the case, yes they are. Photography will always be my first love

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 7:32 PM

Hey, photolitherland let me know if you need extra help on these buildings. I live just down the road from you in NLR.

Here is some links to some of the work that I have done with sketchup and kerkythea.
http://sketchuprenderings.blogspot.com/

Here is some models I have created in sketchup for google earth
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=Search&styp=m

Just my two cents. It looks like to me you might be better off taking pictures of these buildings and applying them to squared models of the buildings with close to exact dimensions. If not I would most certainly use textures for the buildings to give it a more real life look.

When you are rendering it in kerkythea, try using a different render setting. When you click the render button a dialog box opens up with different information to enter or change. I would change the Settings to 17. Path Tracing Progressive. This render type is the best one for rendering buildings and things that are outside.

I will try to do one of the buildings in downtown Russellville by using pictures of the building and estimated sizes.

If you have any questions I would gladly be able to help you out. I am trying to slowly model Little Rock, AR in google earth through sketchup.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 8:39 PM

Here is a quick model I did of the first building it looks like you did. All I did was take the image that you have and placed them on surfaces that are around the length and height of the building.

I did this in about 30 minutes, so with a little more time you could make this model have the rotating sign or awning chains and even the arch awning on the green building.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 9:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHOGS View Post
Here is a quick model I did of the first building it looks like you did. All I did was take the image that you have and placed them on surfaces that are around the length and height of the building.

Wow, thanks dude for the tips. Well, I was thinking about doing that, just taking pics and then making the buildings like that but the point to this render that I am doing is so that building owners and the city councel can make adjustments to them. Like if the owner of that Vance Title building wanted to take that crappy 50's facade and redue the building to look like the original than through sketchup, I could show them what it would look like. If I just have the photos on the surface than I cant edit them. Also, for a lot of the buildings its hard to get the correct dimensions with the photos because the perspective can get stretched and get distorted.

I could use a ton of help on kerk though. I really dont understand it at all and its really confusing. But I am going to go back and replace the colors with the brick paint instead to make it more realistic.

Thanks again dude and once I get my laptop up and running again I am sure I will need a lot of help with kerk. Thanks for the help man.

Good luck with rendering little rock, I was wondering when someone was going to do that

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:08 AM

Anytime. I am trying to do a building a month or so when I get time. You can view them in Google Earth and turn on 3d buildings.

I understand now what you are doing with the modeling then. Me personally I think the best way is doing it the way you are doing it. I wouldn't waste too much time with getting exact dimensions for the buildings but try to get close. Cause like you said your just trying to present them with what it looks like now and what it could look like. I deal with this everyday with my job.

It's cool that your doing this also and hopefully more and more people will begin doing this for there cities.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:07 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHOGS View Post
Anytime. I am trying to do a building a month or so when I get time. You can view them in Google Earth and turn on 3d buildings.

I understand now what you are doing with the modeling then. Me personally I think the best way is doing it the way you are doing it. I wouldn't waste too much time with getting exact dimensions for the buildings but try to get close. Cause like you said your just trying to present them with what it looks like now and what it could look like. I deal with this everyday with my job.

It's cool that your doing this also and hopefully more and more people will begin doing this for there cities.

Whats your job? Are you an urban planner or something? I am personally going into geology but wish I would have gone into architecture but oh well, its too late now. Anyways, Arkansas Tech doesnt offer architecture and even if it did it would take me probably an extra 2 years to graduate by now. But, with the money I will hopefully be making in geology I can do this stuff on the side.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:42 AM

Im just a dratsman in central Arkansas. I got just a simple degree from Pulaski Tech. We build apartments.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 3:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

What JAHOGS just showed you is great. You could actually put the picture on top of the buiilding and trace the details then just pull-and-push to create an editable facade that also looks realistic. Does it make sense? I guess a drawing would be better but I'm not using my computer so I can't reaslly show it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
What JAHOGS just showed you is great. You could actually put the picture on top of the buiilding and trace the details then just pull-and-push to create an editable facade that also looks realistic. Does it make sense? I guess a drawing would be better but I'm not using my computer so I can't reaslly show it.
Actually thats not half that bad of an idea. All I would have to do is get the width of the building and then I could easily get the height from it by doing that. Then I could just get the deminsions of everything else pretty easily without having to freakin measure everything in the field which takes copius amounts of time. Thanks for the idea if thats what you were suggesting.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 8:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

Could somebody please help me with this problem, these black angular lines show up when I use textures. Why does it do this and how can I fix the problem?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 10:37 PM

Reversed textures are probaly not the same, check and see.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:27 AM

the reason why you have those black spots are because there are hidden lines bounding the material from coloring in that section. to remedy this, go to view, and click hidden geometry. then delete your dotted lines at those spots and then the material should be able to finish coloring that wall.

just my take on that picture from my past experiences and i have NO clue why those hidden lines just randomly appear either haha...

but good luck with it

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:40 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
The problem was with reversing the faces. There was no hidden geometry but when I reversed the faces and repainted it, the problem went away. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 5:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

The Frame Shop and Gallery, building dates from 1947

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:14 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Great model! I see you're coming along well. Is there a deadline for the project?

Once you have more practice with sketchup you could make this even better!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 2:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Great model! I see you're coming along well. Is there a deadline for the project?

Once you have more practice with sketchup you could make this even better!
No deadline,Im not getting paid for this. I just want to make downtown better.

How could I make it better, just more detailed you mean? I havent done much with the ground yet. Once I get most of the buildings done Im going to add the trees and other gound cover. I still have about 54 buildings left so I have a long ways to go lol.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:49 AM

Speaking of city improvements, I've never understood why Arkansans take these two or three story buildings and run a shop out of the first floor and do nothing with the top ones. The least they could do is turn them into lofts.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 6:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantytown Architect View Post
Speaking of city improvements, I've never understood why Arkansans take these two or three story buildings and run a shop out of the first floor and do nothing with the top ones. The least they could do is turn them into lofts.
I was walking through one of the second levels of one of the buildings downtown and it was just vacant. The owner let me in to do some measuring and I got to go on top of the roof but the second level was just used for storage. It was obviously built for apartments in the first place but now is just collecting dust and unwanted crap the store cant sell. They were pretty big rooms and it looks like someone a while back did some refurbishing but its still vacant. There is only one building downtown that has lofts out of the 60 or some odd buildings that would be capable of having lofts. I know if they actually had lofts for sale I would for sure buy one instead of living in a cruddy apartment building on campus.

I dont know why they dont convert them. They would be making a lot of money off of them me thinks. But this is Arkansas, and I dont really think they understand the concept of lofts. They would rather just let them rot until one day the wiring sparks and catches the building on fire.

Last edited by photoLith; Dec 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 1:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

Part of a block of buildings I just finished. Most date to around 1926 or so.

Last edited by photoLith; Nov 22, 2008 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 8:47 PM

You cuold add stucco typing textures on those blank colors for more realness, nad added brickworkon the dance studio... MMaybe a few extra Text things to?

Looking pretty good, just spend a little more time on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup