HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada join the European Union?
Yes 20 26.67%
No 55 73.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:30 AM
Look at me!

Should Canada join the Arab league?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm not enamored with the idea, but comfortable with it. I'd much prefer independence than to simply shuffle from a federation to a union.

That said, the European Union has infinitely better policies and supports for economies and cultures like those of Newfoundland and Labrador - especially fisheries management and heritage preservation. Sure there's the whole Imperial Capital of far-off Brussels to worry about but all of those disadvantages are probably worse for us in Canada than they would be in the European Union, where at least the Union itself tends to share similar political leanings and objectives as us (especially post-secondary education). There are Harpers in Europe as well, but certainly not in control of the European Union government.

The part that concerns me is monetary policy. We're definitely comparable to the poorer developed countries - Portugal, Spain, Italy, etc. and ahead of the poorer Eastern and Southern ones such as Czech Republic and Greece. Monetary policies designed with Germany and France in mind won't serve us well. That said, Canada's monetary policy is soon going to suffocate our economy as interest rates rise and other steps are taken in response to the boom in Central Canada. It's quite literally the worst possible government-controlled thing that could happen here right now - so maybe we're fucked either way in that regard.
Yea, it doesn't have to be yes / no, countries like Norway, Iceland and Switzerland have unique arrangements with the EU that lets them pick and choose some of the things (like don't have to adopt their currency).

Interesting article: https://mowatcentre.ca/canada-should...he-eu-sort-of/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I wonder which way people will move if there was freedom of movement. Would Canada receive net immigrants under a freedom of movement arrangement with the EU?
Of course it would. Many of the migrants from Central/Eastern Europe who might be inclined to head west would come to Canada for a big economic step up. The pull from the EU would not be nearly as strong on Canadians.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Of course it would. Many of the migrants from Central/Eastern Europe who might be inclined to head west would come to Canada for a big economic step up. The pull from the EU would not be nearly as strong on Canadians.
Gypsies!!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
And we're already getting big volumes of immigrants from Western Europe even without freedom of movement.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And we're already getting big volumes of immigrants from Western Europe even without freedom of movement.
Are we really?

In my job, one of the things that I do is screen immigrants for possible TB, and anecdotally, the vast majority of immigrants (recently) to eastern NB seem to be from the middle east, sub Saharan Africa and the Philippines, with smaller numbers from Korea and China. We do get some European immigrants, but probably no more than 10%.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Perhaps Quebec is a bit different. I wouldn't say "most" immigrants to Quebec these days are European, but one doesn't get the impression that the tap from Europe has been shut off here. I gather some people in other parts of Canada may have that impression.

It's primarily the French that are responsible for this: they're at or near the top of the list of source countries for immigrants most years here. (Most and even all of the other countries in the top 10 are non-European though.)

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, how do you think the numbers would look?

Do you think those folks from Central / Eastern Europe would prefer say, Germany over Canada?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Do you have a sense of what those numbers are? I thought at least in English Canada most recent immigrants are from India, China and the Philippines.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Should Canada join the Arab league?
Good stuff. What did you do when Cyprus joined the European Union or when Hawaii joined the United States of America?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Do you have a sense of what those numbers are? I thought at least in English Canada most recent immigrants are from India, China and the Philippines.
I think I already answered that. Unless you think my response was unsatisfactory.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think I already answered that. Unless you think my response was unsatisfactory.
Ah, yes that makes sense for Quebec. Was a bit curious about English Canada, as well. I'm sure the data is out there, will look into it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
That's interesting, how do you think the numbers would look?

Do you think those folks from Central / Eastern Europe would prefer say, Germany over Canada?
No idea as to volumes, probably not that dramatic given that many have left those countries for UK, Ireland, Germany, etc.

But there's no question that it would be a big draw. Canada is "America" in the eyes of many people over there... it's basically a colder and less sexy version of the USA.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
No idea as to volumes, probably not that dramatic given that many have left those countries for UK, Ireland, Germany, etc.

But there's no question that it would be a big draw. Canada is "America" in the eyes of many people over there... it's basically a colder and less sexy version of the USA.
That makes sense to me. Do you see any EU cities receiving a lot of Canadians? When London was in the EU, I think a good contingent of Canadians would have gone there for the kind of work that's harder to get in Canada. Now, not so sure. Maybe Paris for Quebecois? But seems like more French people come to Canada than the other way around.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That makes sense to me. Do you see any EU cities receiving a lot of Canadians? When London was in the EU, I think a good contingent of Canadians would have gone there for the kind of work that's harder to get in Canada. Now, not so sure. Maybe Paris for Quebecois? But seems like more French people come to Canada than the other way around.
Outside of the entertainment and cultural sectors, Paris and France in general are not major destinations for Québécois work-related migration.

Quite a few Québécois do go to study in France, but the vast majority of them return home for their careers.

As such, the actual migration volume is very predominantly in one direction: France to Quebec.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I would think that the big EU draws for Canadians would have to be London (1A to New York's #1 among global cities) and Paris (top dog among French-speaking cities). I'm sure there would be a good number of people who might consider retiring to the Costa del Sol, Benidorm or other warmer places on the Mediterranean.

I wouldn't really expect a mass migration, though. It's not a no-brainer like it is for a lower-level Polish blue collar worker who could triple their salary by moving west.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:20 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Should Canada join the European Union?
What do you think?

Probably no, not even to mention the white supremacist aspect of it as well.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Probably no, not even to mention the white supremacist aspect of it as well.
WHAT white supremacist aspect?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It also holds the promise for many of being a stepping stone to eventually getting into the U.S.

Although my hunch is that majority of people who initially had this in mind never make it to the U.S.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Outside of the entertainment and cultural sectors, Paris and France in general are not major destinations for Québécois work-related migration.

Quite a few Québécois do go to study in France, but the vast majority of them return home for their careers.

As such, the actual migration volume is very predominantly in one direction: France to Quebec.
That makes sense. I read this interesting article on CityLab about French immigrants in Quebec (more specifically, Montreal).

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/10...munity/543444/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada