HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 2:01 AM

[Saint John] Port Development

All things port related. As of today, the second berth (northern) has been visited by 2 ships. The inaugural visit was the Hapag Lloyd Barcelona Express on June 22, 2023. The second was the MSC Canberra on July 4, 2023.

The container lines calling at the port currently are Hapag Lloyd, MSC and CMA CGM.

The north slip is filled in but not fully usable as it probably has to sit loaded for an unknown period of time to bring the load spec up to 2000 lbs/sq ft.

The southern slip is in the process of being filled in. I expect it will have to sit loaded for some period of time as well to get the same weight rating of 2000 lbs/sq ft.

It appears that DP World has taken on some added dock space at the south end of the west side docks. I believe it is what has been referred to as Lot X. There has been no public announcement of this change or what it's intended use will be.

Since the second pair of cranes are now in use, the estimated annual TEU capacity is sitting at ~325,000 TEU's. The projected capacity will be at 800,000 TEUs by the end of 2024. That implies that at least 1-2 more cranes are coming as well as on-dock container handling equipment to meet that goal. Transportation systems will also have to gear up to quintuple+ the record year of 2022.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 2:09 AM

This looks like the first time that 2 container ships will be loading/unloading at Rodney Terminal at the same time. The Glasgow Express is arriving in port as this is being written. And the Cape Corfu has entered the navigation lanes at the western Bay of Fundy.

Last edited by Ottawa; Jul 6, 2023 at 2:58 AM. Reason: information change

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 2:53 AM

Some color for this thread and a good reference of what we are talking about for any out-of-towners who might not be familiar with the Port of Saint John.

I took this picture in April 2023.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 3:11 AM

Hapag- Lloyd Glasgow Express is pulling into the new pier as I’m typing this. We are most definitely in for a double container ship day.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Hapag- Lloyd Glasgow Express is pulling into the new pier as I’m typing this. We are most definitely in for a double container ship day.
Yes, this will be the first time two modern container ships to be unloaded simultaneously in the History of the Port. A pretty big day!

The more I have started to follow the port development's, the more you can see how massive of an economic driver it is going to be for the region. Buy land and warehouses in SJ if you can.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 1:30 PM

I'm still unclear on the location of Lot X. Can someone indicate it in Microsoft Paint?

I wonder of the port has plans for the area between the ferry terminal and AIM/the tugboat slip, including the single decrepit pier. It's not small. It's not in the way of anything else. It has easy rail and road access. If AIM is going to be there for a while maybe this spot is on the medium-term menu.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 2:43 PM
I Rise Again

What a great ideal for a thread! I will definitely be checking this one out daily. If I'm not mistaken the cranes in the picture above on the left side are the newer, bigger ones correct? Are they planning on replacing the ones on the right to handle two big ships at the same time?

Also: Main Port page
https://www.sjport.com/
Project page from the same site
https://www.sjport.com/modernization

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
What a great ideal for a thread! I will definitely be checking this one out daily. If I'm not mistaken the cranes in the picture above on the left side are the newer, bigger ones correct? Are they planning on replacing the ones on the right to handle two big ships at the same time?

Also: Main Port page
https://www.sjport.com/
Project page from the same site
https://www.sjport.com/modernization
It’s actually the opposite way round, the ones on the right are the new ones. They plan to bring in atleast 2 more

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 3:15 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
It’s actually the opposite way round, the ones on the right are the new ones. They plan to bring in atleast 2 more
Opps, lol. Shows you how much I know. Ok TY my friend and that's great news! I hope they keep pumping more into it. This is awesome for Saint John and great for New Brunswick!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 4:36 PM

For the first time ever the Rodney container terminal welcomed 2 ships simultaneously on July 6th, 2023.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 5:55 PM

Will 2023 come in at 150k, 175k or 200k+ any guesses ?
Halifax could not break their 600k 2021 record in 2022 , so wondering if we will have an affect on that this year. It’s acknowledged there is leakage to Saint John.

Last edited by cdnguys; Jul 6, 2023 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I'm still unclear on the location of Lot X. Can someone indicate it in Microsoft Paint?

I wonder of the port has plans for the area between the ferry terminal and AIM/the tugboat slip, including the single decrepit pier. It's not small. It's not in the way of anything else. It has easy rail and road access. If AIM is going to be there for a while maybe this spot is on the medium-term menu.
That is what I have referred to as Lot X, from a Port SJ video promoting various parts of the port available for lease. The current status information had been gleaned from the PSJ website map indicating property that is leased or otherwise managed by DP World Canada. In the below image, both locations indicated by "1" are under management by DP World. That lower "1" is likely the decrepit pier you were referring to, and my understanding is that was/is Lot X. It is valuable property in a port looking to expand 5X+.

Below image property of Port Saint John:
https://www.sjport.com/port-map

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 4:19 AM

Quote:
For the first time ever the Rodney container terminal welcomed 2 ships simultaneously on July 6th, 2023.

2 great pics. And the fog cleared long enough to let us have a peak. Thanks ColSJ.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:33 AM

It looks like another double ship visitation on Tuesday with the Santa Marta Express and CGM Surabaya. I'm looking forward to getting some new business and something over 5K TEU's. Maybe both at once?

The other thing I'm wondering about (but never mentioned before this) is whether CPKC/NBSR will start delivering potash. I'm not sure how the contracts are arranged but I know CPKC has the western Canadian potash delivery contract and I have heard that it is for the entire country but they haven't had access to Saint John before 2020? Maybe the potash pier location at present has something to do with it? If anybody knows what the deal is there, please could you maybe fill in some of the details there?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 9:21 AM

Article in the TJ this morning that the Feds have received an application and are contemplating contributing 175 million to a new mega container facility in the Canso Strait near Port Hawkesbury. If built, it would be the closest North American container port to Europe and the Suez canal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Article in the TJ this morning that the Feds have received an application and are contemplating contributing 175 million to a new mega container facility in the Canso Strait near Port Hawkesbury. If built, it would be the closest North American container port to Europe and the Suez canal.
Why would they want a port that close to Europe? It's much cheaper to ship to a port as close to market as possible than one ~5 hours by train east of Saint John.

It's an inane idea. Halifax and SJ are under capacity, both have extensive and very realistic expansion plans, and this would cripple both... plus strangle the Sydney plans in the cradle.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Why would they want a port that close to Europe? It's much cheaper to ship to a port as close to market as possible than one ~5 hours by train east of Saint John.

It's an inane idea. Halifax and SJ are under capacity, both have extensive and very realistic expansion plans, and this would cripple both... plus strangle the Sydney plans in the cradle.
This port would never have the rail connections PSJ has + I’m pretty sure the existing line to Port Hawksbury is in terrible condition.

If a port were to be created here all the cargo would just be shipped around to other destinations. It makes no sense to create distribution or manufacturing centres here. This extremely unpopulated area with little services and infrastructure would have a really hard time servicing this port. What about housing? Finding labor?

And then you throw on the fact to access this port by either truck or rail from the rest of Canada requires you to cross the Chignecto Isthmus (nb - ns border) which is the subject of a dispute between the provinces and the federal government over who will cover cost to protect it from rising sea levels.

All and all you are looking ~$750 million between private and public sector funds to make this port a legitimate player. Best of luck on that one

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
This port would never have the rail connections PSJ has + I’m pretty sure the existing line to Port Hawksbury is in terrible condition.

If a port were to be created here all the cargo would just be shipped around to other destinations. It makes no sense to create distribution or manufacturing centres here. This extremely unpopulated area with little services and infrastructure would have a really hard time servicing this port. What about housing? Finding labor?

And then you throw on the fact to access this port by either truck or rail from the rest of Canada requires you to cross the Chignecto Isthmus (nb - ns border) which is the subject of a dispute between the provinces and the federal government over who will cover cost to protect it from rising sea levels.

All and all you are looking ~$750 million between private and public sector funds to make this port a legitimate player. Best of luck on that one
Is it related to the spaceport in Canos perhaps? Needing to get large shipments to the site more directly?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Is it related to the spaceport in Canos perhaps? Needing to get large shipments to the site more directly?
There is no doubt the maritimes have a track record of proposing mega projects that promise big with no serious path to fruition. I see this as another one of those

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:35 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
It looks like another double ship visitation on Tuesday with the Santa Marta Express and CGM Surabaya. I'm looking forward to getting some new business and something over 5K TEU's. Maybe both at once?

The other thing I'm wondering about (but never mentioned before this) is whether CPKC/NBSR will start delivering potash. I'm not sure how the contracts are arranged but I know CPKC has the western Canadian potash delivery contract and I have heard that it is for the entire country but they haven't had access to Saint John before 2020? Maybe the potash pier location at present has something to do with it? If anybody knows what the deal is there, please could you maybe fill in some of the details there?
Canpotex is a CN customer. So it is shipped by CN from Saskatchewan to PSJ on CN lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces